What does it take? (Community)

What does it take? // Community

1  2  |

insanity

Oct 8, 2001, 11:45pm
--------------4AFE9585B1424AFFC226E126

Below is a copy of another email from Noelle at AWcom. Again she
suggests sending credit card information to her via e-mail. Is AW ever
going to become professional and care about anyone else other than
themselves? All professional services warn you never to send important
credit card information via e-mail. They also warn that they will never
ask for personal passwords etc. However, with AWcom, they continue to
treat their clientele with no respect and suggest they risk credit card
security so that they can gain their $$.

Last week I notified AWcom that myself and another customer BOTH
received alarming errors from AWcom's new site after entering credit
card information. Both myself and the other customer were ignored!
Again on Thursday I contacted Tom who again ignored my concern about
their improperly functioning site! Friday a customer used the system
and was double billed by AWcom sending them into overdraft and costing
them fees! AWcom not only double billed them, they immediately killed
their registered trial, and never sent them their new password all
weekend. Now does "Take the Money and Run" sound familiar? The customer
and myself sent e-mails and they were again ignored.

The number one concern of AWcom should be the proper handling of
customers credit cards and moneys!!!!

What does it take?

Letters of complaint to the Better Business Bureau?
http://www.bb.org

Contacting the FTC - Fair Trade Commission?
http://www.ftc.gov/

Contacting your bank and the Credit Card Companies?

I am really tired of the apathy AWcom has surrounding people's security.
It is a shame they only appear to care about themselves and not the
people who pay their wages! It is a sad shame that management appears
nowhere in these matters but the lack of management and concern shows
immensely!

The latest credit card request by Noelle is pasted below:

From: "Noelle" <noelle at activeworlds.com>
To: ###############
Subject: Re: renewal problems
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:52:22 -0700

Hello -

Be sure when you are "renewing" you are on the current form. The current

link is http://www.activeworlds.com/products/worlds.asp

You may also send me your order and card information or call
978-499-0222. I
can not renew the world gratis. If you are mailing Tom already I would
suggest you await an e-mail answer from him regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Noelle Caterino
Customer Service
Activeworlds.com Inc.
95 Parker St.
Newburyport, MA 01950

www.activeworlds.com

--------------4AFE9585B1424AFFC226E126

Below is a copy of another email from Noelle at AWcom.&nbsp; Again she
suggests sending credit card information to her via e-mail. Is AW ever
going to become professional and care about anyone else other than themselves?&nbsp;&nbsp;
All professional services warn you never to send important credit card
information via e-mail. They also warn that they will never ask for personal
passwords etc. However, with AWcom, they continue to treat their clientele
with no respect and suggest they risk credit card security so that they
can gain their $$.
alarming errors from AWcom's new site after entering credit card information.
Both myself and the other customer were ignored!&nbsp; Again on Thursday
I contacted Tom who again ignored my concern about their improperly functioning
site!&nbsp;&nbsp; Friday a customer used the system and was double billed
by AWcom sending them into overdraft and costing them fees!&nbsp; AWcom
not only double billed them, they immediately killed their registered trial,
and never sent them their new password all weekend. Now does "Take the
Money and Run" sound familiar?&nbsp; The customer and myself sent e-mails&nbsp;
and they were again ignored.
credit cards and moneys!!!!
It is a shame they only appear to care about themselves and not the people
who pay their wages! It is a sad shame that management appears nowhere
in these matters but the lack of management and concern shows immensely!
978-499-0222. I

--------------4AFE9585B1424AFFC226E126--

[View Quote] She also gives you the option of calling Active Worlds and doing it over the
phone if you are concerned about security.

All professional services warn you never to send important credit card
information via e-mail. They also warn that they will never ask for personal
passwords etc. However, with AWcom, they continue to treat their clientele
with no respect and suggest they risk credit card security so that they can
gain their $$.

Try to keep the conspiratorial tone down, he? :) Everyone knows that you
treat your customers properly or you _don't_ gain their $$. I'm pretty sure
AWC has grasped that aspect of business. :P

Last week I notified AWcom that myself and another customer BOTH received
alarming errors from AWcom's new site after entering credit card
information. Both myself and the other customer were ignored! Again on
Thursday I contacted Tom who again ignored my concern about their improperly
functioning site!

Noelle's response could be the response to both of these inquiries.

Friday a customer used the system and was double billed by AWcom sending
them into overdraft and costing them fees!

He probably double-clicked on the Submit button.

AWcom not only double billed them, they immediately killed their registered
trial, and never sent them their new password all weekend. Now does "Take
the Money and Run" sound familiar? The customer and myself sent e-mails
and they were again ignored.

Maybe a side effect of having a semi-automated system, registering right
before closing time, and not having a full customer-service department in
place yet after Facter's dismissal? :) Again, probably technical problems,
but it definitely should be resolved in either case.

--
SW Chris
Eagle Scout, Philosopher, Peacemaker, and... Kung Fu Master?

insanity

Oct 9, 2001, 1:43pm
So Chris, if a thief asks you to hand over your purse or have it ripped out of
your hands... that makes the wrong a right because you were given an option?
NO One should ever suggest a customer send credit card information via
e-mail! As for the double bill... AW fails to place a kill command in their
script which would easily prevent a double bill error! You know how much and
extra $200 overdraft can end up costing a user? Add up all the other check that
will bounce... $200 could easily become $500 at $25 per return fee. All very sad
events simply because a company is neglecting the protection of their customers.
THAT is why I pointed out the negligent request by Noelle to risk CC info by
e-mail. That shows AW does not care about your security. If they did, they would
never suggest you do such an absurd and riskful act! I am only asking that the
company begin to act responsibly!

[View Quote] > Responses within...

Well if you thought I was defending them, I wasn't. Only stating possible
alternative explanations.
--
SW Chris
Eagle Scout, Philosopher, Peacemaker, and... Kung Fu Master?
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

[View Quote]

grimble

Oct 9, 2001, 5:17pm
Actually, I read SW Chris's replies as perfectly feasible alternatives to
the paranoia you seem to be exhibiting.

Its up to you to look after your money. If you don't trust a person or
company that you are purchasing goods or services from, then its your
responsibility to ensure that the transaction is carried out to your
satisfaction. I don't see that it really warrants a whining post in the
Community newsgroup.

Grims.

[View Quote]

dj party

Oct 9, 2001, 7:55pm
Think:

Not all of AW's users or computer users are completely computer literate.
They may have found this program and thats it. You shouldn't assume that
customers know exactly what they are doing. Some customer could of course
have sent in their CC number in an e-mail or could have double clicked. Both
COULD have happened, but if AW did more than the average, that would make
them a better company. Don't get me wrong, AW Inc is doing their job and is
doing nothing completely wrong. But they COULD go beyond the call and maybe
do better than before.

AW Inc. stand up and help your customers, don't assume, because when you
assume it makes an a** out of you and me.

DJ Party
From: "Noelle" <noelle at activeworlds.com>=20
To: ###############=20
Subject: Re: renewal problems=20
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:52:22 -0700=20

Hello -=20

Be sure when you are "renewing" you are on the current form. The =
current=20
link is http://www.activeworlds.com/products/worlds.asp=20

You may also send me your order and card information or call =
978-499-0222. I=20
can not renew the world gratis. If you are mailing Tom already I would =

suggest you await an e-mail answer from him regarding this matter.=20

Sincerely,=20

Noelle Caterino=20
Customer Service=20
Activeworlds.com Inc.=20
95 Parker St.=20
Newburyport, MA 01950=20

www.activeworlds.com=20

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C1518F.E48243C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Just wondering how AW was origionaly =
contacted over=20
the obvious web site problem? Did you write to support or? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Casay</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV>"insanity" &lt;<A =
href=3D"mailto:peace at nospam.com">peace at nospam.com</A>&gt;=20
[View Quote] <P><B>You may also send me your order and card information</B> or call =

978-499-0222. I <BR>can not renew the world gratis. If you are mailing =
Tom=20
already I would <BR>suggest you await an e-mail answer from him =
regarding this=20
matter.=20
<P>Sincerely,=20
<P>Noelle Caterino <BR>Customer Service <BR>Activeworlds.com Inc. =
<BR>95=20
Parker St. <BR>Newburyport, MA 01950=20
<P>www.activeworlds.com </P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C1518F.E48243C0--

birdmike

Oct 10, 2001, 7:18pm
In reality, supporting another universe like Outer Worlds (etc.) would
probably help AW out more than not renewing your citizenship and possibly
world in AW, because you help keep a larger client (the universe) in
business who pays a lot more $ to AW than you do.

I do agree with the argument that AW should be more responsible with credit
card information though.

"rpg helper" <noneasyet at jfk2_please_set_me_up_with_your_path_server_fo.com>
[View Quote]

lanezeri

Oct 10, 2001, 8:35pm
Stop complaining.. either call them or send the info thru E-mail.. I've sent
my information through e-mail before to her.. she is a very nice person, as
I talked to her for a minute or two.. credit card fraud is very illegal and
very traceable.. calm down and think about it.. would you use someone else's
CC info to buy something? Most people who do get caught..

--

Lanezeri
Lead Bot Programmer at Stuff-X

[View Quote]

peace walker

Oct 10, 2001, 8:45pm
--------------645D68553C795F05F71D2CDA

In answer to your question Casay... AW was contacted first by two people
to support, Tom, and Noelle and also included at least one phone call.
That was the first time on 9-28 through 10-1. There were also numerous
grams back and forth to Flagg (Tom) on 10-1 which he then blew off to
Noelle and then dropped dropped. A user gets annoyed when 20 messages go
forth then they receive a foolish reply from someone un-informed. When
I attempted to follow up on Thursday, Tom ignored it. On the next
Friday again support, Tom, customer service, were all contacted and
again customer called in this past Monday. Now I e-mailed Tom, Support,
cof and Enzo (Rick Noll) and again, e-mail has been ignored. The only
person who showed any professionalism has been Roland. Roland helped
were he could on Friday. Roland is limited though and can not help in
over billing matters or HQ matters such as world's registration etc. He
did agree about it's serious nature and was going to speak with HQ about
it. Roland has always been professional and time has proven that.

Now when it comes to money matters, AW's ignoring e-mails is begging to
appear more as intended negligence rather than any concern to handle
other's credit information safely. It only takes seconds to reply that
the matter is being looked into.

As to not informing trial owners that they will loose their world
instantly and may need to await days before AW sends them their world
password. That is simply neglect. AW has been around for years...At one
point users got the e-mail immediately... has not been the case on the
new site. Don't you think users deserve the warning? After all, AW
operates as a 24/7 universe. Users get very hurt when they pay and then
see their world is gone! Add the fact they they then find themselves
having an additional $200 taken from the and sending them to ovedraft
because the site failed to kill double bill attempts and you have one
hurt and screwed new customer. In my book and they way i was raised... 1
screwed customer is 1 too many. But in AW's case, this has happened
before... and I an certain from the apathy, sadly, will happen again.

And how else does AW learn of these matters? Well one should expect
that the company who hosts this newsgroup should spend a few minutes per
day to read them! I have posted this so that others can be forewarned
about what is actually happening and to also hope it will force AW into
taking actions to protect it's users. Also I would like to see AW policy
changed to NEVER asking for someone to send credit card info via e-mail.
That is JUST PLAIN WRONG!

Let's be honest here... The largest amount of AW revenue comes from NEW
users who barely even know how to operate on the internet but like the
concept of AW. AWcom knows this and should stop trying to capitalize on
their errors! We all learn and to abuse those while learning is wrong.
This is not a happy matter for me... I work hard at helping people and I
do not like seeing them hurt because of a "we could care less' attitude.

Hoping power of the press will help *S* Although many do not post...
they do read and become more informed. Just view the newsgroups from an
independent eye... the majority of posts are angry users... and one
would have to look very far to see actions taken to rectify the many
concerns which have been posted through the years. I can hope that can
one day change can't I?

Peace, health & healing...

[View Quote] > Just wondering how AW was origionaly contacted over the obvious web

[View Quote] --------------645D68553C795F05F71D2CDA

In answer to your question Casay... AW was contacted first by two people
to support, Tom, and Noelle and also included at least one phone call.
That was the first time on 9-28 through 10-1.&nbsp; There were also numerous
grams back and forth to Flagg (Tom) on 10-1 which he then blew off to Noelle
and then dropped dropped. A user gets annoyed when 20 messages go forth
then they receive a foolish reply from someone un-informed.&nbsp; When
I attempted to follow up on Thursday, Tom ignored it.&nbsp; On the next
Friday again support, Tom, customer service, were all contacted and again
customer called in this past Monday. Now I e-mailed Tom, Support, cof and
Enzo (Rick Noll) and again, e-mail has been ignored. The only person who
showed any professionalism has been Roland. Roland helped were he could
on Friday. Roland is limited though and can not help in over billing matters
or HQ matters such as world's registration etc. He did agree about it's
serious nature and was going to speak with HQ about it. Roland has always
been professional and time has proven that.
to appear more as intended negligence rather than any&nbsp; concern to
handle other's credit information safely. It only takes seconds to reply
that the matter is being looked into.
and may need to await days before AW sends them their world password. That
is simply neglect. AW has been around for years...At one point users got
the e-mail immediately... has not been the case on the new site. Don't
you think users deserve the warning? After all, AW operates as a 24/7 universe.
Users get very hurt when they pay and then see their world is gone!&nbsp;
Add the fact they they then find themselves having an additional $200 taken
from the and sending them to ovedraft because the site failed to kill double
bill attempts and you have one hurt and screwed new customer. In my book
and they way i was raised... 1 screwed customer is 1 too many. But in AW's
case, this has happened before... and I an certain from the apathy, sadly,
will happen again.
that the company who hosts this newsgroup should spend a few minutes per
day to read them!&nbsp; I have posted this so that others can be forewarned
about what is actually happening and to also hope it will force AW into
taking actions to protect it's users. Also I would like to see AW policy
changed to NEVER asking for someone to send credit card info via e-mail.
That is JUST PLAIN WRONG!
NEW users who barely even know how to operate on the internet but like
the concept of AW. AWcom knows this and should stop trying to capitalize
on their errors!&nbsp; We all learn and to abuse those while learning is
wrong.&nbsp; This is not a happy matter for me... I work hard at helping
people and I do not like seeing them hurt because of a "we could care less'
attitude.
they do read and become more informed. Just view the newsgroups from an
independent eye... the majority of posts are angry users...&nbsp; and one
would have to look very far to see actions taken to rectify the many concerns
which have been posted through the years.&nbsp; I can hope that can one
day change can't I?
[View Quote] </body>

--------------645D68553C795F05F71D2CDA--

grimble

Oct 10, 2001, 8:58pm
The focus of these points are somewhat different from the original post, and
now its clear why the frustrations are there. Its difficult to have much
respect for a company that seemingly refuses to respond to e-mails, although
I would find it hard to believe that anyone is being ignored by AWC, unless
its because the wrong person is being expected to deal with it by the
company and they've pushed it to the bottom of their list - everyone has
done it at some point ... pushed the stuff you'd rather not deal with
straight away further down the to-do pile. I'm not saying its right, but it
happens. I am sure that *some* resolution would be forthcoming sometime
soon. Sounds like phoning AWC would be the only course of action open to you
right now.

However, I dont' think I agree that "the largest amount of AW revenue comes
from NEW users" ... I think the commercial aspects of AW and the licences on
the other universes would massively outweigh the miserly $20 a year gained
by AW citizenships.

Anyway ... a few thoughts.

Grims

dotar sojat

Oct 10, 2001, 9:10pm
Amen. The voice of reason.

Peace, health, and healing? Who are you, Chris Pirillo?
--
SW Chris
Eagle Scout, Philosopher, Peacemaker, and... Kung Fu Master?
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

[View Quote] [View Quote]

bcg

Oct 10, 2001, 11:31pm
Just ponder this for a minute. Who exactly is the company here? Is it
really my job to pay them for their services, and then take even more time
to make sure they are doing them correctly? If ActiveWorlds was really a
serious company, they would make sure that their clients were not
double-billed, or ask for credit card information via e-mail. E-mails can
be intercepted by just about anyone. Would you be willing to give out your
credit card information in a public chat room? I think not.

BCG

[View Quote]

grimble

Oct 11, 2001, 2:28am
Geesh! NO ... I wouldn't .... because its DUMB to do that!

Its quite simple really ... you pay for what you want to pay for, and pay
for it in a manner with which you are comfortable. If you're either not
happy with the service or aren't happy paying for that service using one of
the methods available to you ... then by all means, vote with your feet.
HOWEVER ... AWC have a telephone - remember them? Don't kick 'em just
because they, like many many other companies, don't provide facilities for
secure internet payments. It costs money for a company to use services to
acquire credit card transactions over the internet and I'm pretty certain
that the volume of internet payments they would receive wouldn't justify the
cost to them.

If people can't be bothered to pick up a phone and do it the old fashioned
way, then they can damned well go without.

Grims.

[View Quote] Would you be willing to give out your credit card information in a public
chat room? I think not.

peace walker

Oct 11, 2001, 2:59am
Ever think Grimble? When people use the AW site they have no idea they are
about to be double billed... or the other problems listed. You are thinking in a
way that is termed "ass-backward". The whole purpose of the post was to show
that AW needs to act a bit more responsibly in quite a few ways and start acting
with professionalism. They are OBLIGATED to act more precisely by merchant
agreements.
Your words seem to imply that in your mind any site doing any wrong is ok
seeing how the person chose to chance a purchase there. That is not the way the
United States Fair Trade works with commerce. We have laws and we as a society
have established standards for business.

[View Quote] > Geesh! NO ... I wouldn't .... because its DUMB to do that!

> Its quite simple really ... you pay for what you want to pay for, and pay
> for it in a manner with which you are comfortable. If you're either not
> happy with the service or aren't happy paying for that service using one of
> the methods available to you ... then by all means, vote with your feet.
> HOWEVER ... AWC have a telephone - remember them? Don't kick 'em just
> because they, like many many other companies, don't provide facilities for
> secure internet payments. It costs money for a company to use services to
> acquire credit card transactions over the internet and I'm pretty certain
> that the volume of internet payments they would receive wouldn't justify the
> cost to them.
>
> If people can't be bothered to pick up a phone and do it the old fashioned
> way, then they can damned well go without.
>
> Grims.

[View Quote]

rpg helper

Oct 11, 2001, 4:09am
At some point in time the owners of Dreamland Park Universe bought a
really big universe from Active Worlds. Now the trick is to make
Active Worlds feel a pinch from people Not buying direct from AW. So
you want to become a citizen, You buy it with Dreamland Park Universe.
You want a galaxy, You buy from Dreamland Park Universe. You want to
buy a universe, You buy from Dreamland Park Universe. What you are
doing is buying direct from Dreamland Park Universe and NOT from AW.
Thus AW is not getting any more new cit sales and that will start to
hurt at some point in time and make AW take stock of it's situation and
begin to think of it's policy towards helping it's coustomers or it's
coustomers simply jump ship to another place that will listen.

"sw chris" <chrisw10 at nckcn.com> wrote in
news:3bc46bf7 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> How do we know they are in the red zone? :)
> --
> SW Chris
> Eagle Scout, Philosopher, Peacemaker, and... Kung Fu Master?
> http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html
>
> "rpg helper"
> <noneasyet at jfk2_please_set_me_up_with_your_path_server_fo.com> wrote
> in message news:Xns9136340F57AFEjfk2jfkmusiccom at 166.90.181.12...

rpg helper

Oct 11, 2001, 4:14am
Going to Outerworlds Universe won't help AW any. That is because once
you buy a universe for $$ amount, you don't ever have to pay yearly
fees to keep it running as you do with worlds. Even buying a galaxy
makes you imune to that yearly fee to keep it going routine. If you
force AW's hand then they will listen. But that is the only way that
the most of us could force AW's hand as most of us don't know enough
programming to do the forceful tricks of certain people by making their
worlds seem to be like a universe or galaxy.

"birdmike" <birdmike at home.com> wrote in
news:3bc4bb2e at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> In reality, supporting another universe like Outer Worlds (etc.)
> would probably help AW out more than not renewing your citizenship
> and possibly world in AW, because you help keep a larger client (the
> universe) in business who pays a lot more $ to AW than you do.
>
> I do agree with the argument that AW should be more responsible with
> credit card information though.
>
> "rpg helper"
> <noneasyet at jfk2_please_set_me_up_with_your_path_server_fo.com> wrote
> in message news:Xns9136340F57AFEjfk2jfkmusiccom at 166.90.181.12...

nornny11

Oct 11, 2001, 9:02am
Actually, when we last debated where AW makes their money, it was somehow
reached that their corporate sponserships from companies like Juno, NetTaxi,
P3DJ, and so forth is where the money is. The basis of this, and
confirmation of this, was that if WE were giving AW most of its money, we
wouldn't be in this situation. ;) Ergo, we're down there below Corporate
America in the food chain, so things have to get done. ;)

basically, Flagg prolly ignored you because he doesn't sit around in an
office all day playing ActiveWorlds. He's not a typical AW citizen, he's a
working citizen when on AW, so sure, out of 100 or so telegrams he recieves
every 5 minutes, you could try until Armageddon, but NO AW staffer is going
to answer them all. You need to call, email persistently, or some other
form. Mail always worked too. They're not neglecting you, they're trying NOT
to neglect others first.

Nornny

And how exactly do you get a substantial amount of people of whom you have
no contact with to do that? This has been done before and failed.
Personally I think any reason to attempt to do this is stupid. You would be
shooting yourself in the foot. There are much better ways to get a business
to accommodate a customer. I.e. Better Business Bureau.
--
SW Chris
Eagle Scout, Philosopher, Peacemaker, and... Kung Fu Master?
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

"rpg helper" <noneasyet at jfk2_please_set_me_up_with_your_path_server_fo.com>
[View Quote]

flagg

Oct 11, 2001, 3:12pm
Dear Insanity and Peace walker,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

When you contacted me via telegram regarding the problem you had on the
web-site I explained to you that you needed to contact Noelle as she was the
one who would be responsible for helping you with your problem.

Now I apologize that I was not able to help, but at that time I was working
on another project that required my full attention. I do from time to time
provide support for people via telegram and I have done so for you on a few
occasions, but telegram support is not a service we offer. When a member of
Activeworlds staff provides support via telegram they are doing so
voluntarily. I as a staff member of Activeworlds get many, many telegrams
per hour and I do not respond to all of them, but usually when someone asks
for help I do point them in the right direction, which is what I did for
you.

You e-mailed Noelle and told her that you had encountered a error on our
site. Noelle replied to you within 3 hours of your sending her a e-mail.
In my opinion her response to you was very satisfactory based on the
information you had given her. If you had responded to that e-mail or
called our office your problem would probably already be solved, in fact I
will go as far to say that it would have probably been solved that same day.
However, instead of responding to her you e-mailed me with a complaint
regarding our service. Due to the fact that your complaint was sent late
afternoon on a Friday I did not see it until early Monday morning, but at
that time it was already to late as you had sent another complaint in far
more detail covering many other things some of which had nothing to do with
our billing system or the problem you had encountered. I have noted all the
issues you mentioned and am working to address the ones we agree are
important at this time.

Now I would like to take this moment to answer a couple of the concerns here
in our newsgroup so that the community that has been following this thread
knows where Activeworlds stands on some of the issues you have raised.

Activeworlds.com has a new web-site. This site deploys many new features
and still has many new features to come. Whenever any company tries things
that they have not done before it is extremely possible that there may be
unexpected problems. When these problems occur we appreciate and need the
help our rational and patient customers give us. We do not plan these
problems to get more money from our customers. The fact is that problems
like these cause us to loose customers. The double billing that occurred on
our site happened when a customer would repeatedly click the refresh button
on there browser because they believed the transaction was not going
through. In fact the transaction was going through and when the refresh
button was hit it would send the hole transaction through again. We are
actively working with the around 10 customers we know of who had this
problem to ensure that they are credited for any over payment we received.
Most of these cases are already resolved and the problem on our site has
been fixed.

There where some other issues on the site regarding trial world data and
orders that did not go through. The order problem should be fixed now and
we are working to resolve the issue regarding trial world data over
weekends.

As for us accepting credit card information via e-mail. It is up to the
customers of Activeworlds how they want to provide us with billing
information. You were given several choices and were not forced in any way
to provide your billing info via e-mail. I have many customers who's
preferred choice of communication for billing info is e-mail and in fact I
have used e-mail to provide my own billing information to other companies.
I feel e-mail is safe enough for me and choose to leave it up to the
customer as to what methods they prefer and trust. Obviously if I did not
trust a company I was doing business with I would either not do business
with them or pay them through a method like "money order" to ensure my
consumer safety.

I would like to thank you all again for taking the time to read this post.
I will not respond on this specific issue again in these newsgroups so
please direct any concerns or questions you have regarding anything I have
stated to me at Tom at activeworlds.com.

Sincerely

Tom Fournier
Customer Service / Sales Manager
Activeworlds.com Inc.
95 Parker St.
Newburyport, MA 01950

www.activeworlds.com

peace walker

Oct 11, 2001, 4:12pm
--------------AE3FE324B4B6200103A3F88F

Hello Tom, Thank you for taking the time to write. I would like to point out
that although your opinion is that Noelle properly handled the situation it is
you who helped it fail and continue to do so.

Date: 09-28-01
Time: 12:59AM CST
To: support at activeworlds.com
Subject: bad renewal form
Cc:
Hello,
I went to renew my world and the renewal form gave me error 'failed Dial'.
Please notify me when you have your site fixed. This happened to another user as
well.
Thank you
Lars

That is a copy of the email which I sent immediately after my credit card went
into error because of AWcom's site failure. Please note it states other users as
well. Now to this date, that e-mail has never been responded to. Had it been...
the site would have been fixed prior to the many people getting overbilled etc.
That letter is dated 9-28-01.

Now, cut the crap on the privilege I had of you responding to my telegrams. You
are an employee of AWcom and from the corporate office you telegramed back and
forth to me regarding the error and the details of it. It was you who failed to
pass that information on to Noelle and expected me to repeat all the
information. I had informed you I was ending my 12 work shift. I hardly need to
waste time repeating myself. I notified you who are in the position of customer
care. I DID my part! That is YOUR Failure as an AWcom Representative. Is it that
hard to see that you contribute to AW's negligence when you begin to decide what
is privilege response from you and what is normal customer service? The result
that I see is that on 9-28-01 two customers I know had their credit information
poorly handled by AWcom. The following week more customers had been hurt by the
same site. All during that time you were using your opinion to ignore my
original notices as well as my courtesy follow up that Thursday. I contacted you
as well as support several times during that week. Now those failed responses
results in customers being overdrawn now... That represents AWcom's Answer?
That hurts the customer. That is the reason this problem went on for over ten
days. I also know of a customer who HAS phoned you and who HAS NOT been
reimbursed by you.

I am not here to harm AWcom. I am only trying to see that attitudes such as your
remarks concerning telegram contact only help to break down the company and it's
customer care or lack there of. There is never an excuse to ignore a serious
problem, ever! Money problems on the site is a serious problem!

I operate a successful business of providing internet service which includes a
large 3D division within AW. You are very aware that we host many worlds for
many customers from around the globe. Daily I hear from world owners as well as
new customers inquiring about worlds. I hear their cries all too often. So when
I take the time out of my day... time that normally goes to filling the gaps of
AW's support... much of which I hear goes un-answered... I expect that AW would
be interested in hearing the facts from outside their own little shell. But you
have shown me in your own words. In your opinion it was handled satisfactory!
In my opinion and the opinion of the many it affected... the losses caused by
your ways are very UN-satisfactory...

And your opinion that a Company should be as unconscious of customer safety as
to recommend and endorse the sending of Credit Card data over unsecured
sources.... well that is showing a huge amount of ignorance and neglect on the
part of AWcom with you as their representative. I would think your merchant
account would be closed if they heard your recommendation! They require that
security measures be taken for credit approvals without the presence of customer
or card! Based on your statements... the whole Net should do away with SSL and
give up all the secure servers and browser encryption's. Flagg says it's SAFE to
send your Credit Card via open e-mail... Hey MicroSoft, Hey Netscape... You
wasted Millions $$$$ on secure sockets and encryption!!!! Flagg knows more than
all the experts and releases to press that e-mail is good enough!!!!

This all could have been much easier had AWcom acknowledged their e-mails and
the fact there was a problem at the beginning. Many people would have been saved
the troubles that your disregards caused. It appears rather than apologize for
the error in judgments you choose to flame and make me look bad... All I did was
take it to the public eye to insure change would come about... I am glad to see
from your post that certain issues are now being dealt with... I hope this
brings on some oversight in the future so others can be safer doing business
with AWcom. A customer based company's most valuable resource is the
customers... try not to forget that... I am not the bad guy... just the one
willing to step out and speak for the little people who get hurt...

Peace, health & healing to all...

InSaNiTy

http://worldhosting.heartfall.com
http://pathservices.heartfall.com

[View Quote] > Dear Insanity and Peace walker,

> [...]
> information. You were given several choices and were not forced in any way
> to provide your billing info via e-mail. I have many customers who's
> preferred choice of communication for billing info is e-mail and in fact I
> have used e-mail to provide my own billing information to other companies.
> I feel e-mail is safe enough for me and choose to leave it up to the
> customer as to what methods they prefer and trust. Obviously if I did not
> trust a company I was doing business with I would either not do business
> with them or pay them through a method like "money order" to ensure my
> consumer safety.
>
> I would like to thank you all again for taking the time to read this post.
> I will not respond on this specific issue again in these newsgroups so
> please direct any concerns or questions you have regarding anything I have

Hello Tom, Thank you for taking the time to write.&nbsp; I would like to
point out that although your opinion is that Noelle properly handled the
situation it is you who helped it fail and continue to do so.&nbsp;<b></b>
Dial'.</b>
another user as well.</b>
card went into error because of AWcom's site failure. Please note it states
other users as well. Now to this date, that e-mail has never been responded
to. Had it been... the site would have been fixed prior to the many people
getting overbilled etc. That letter is dated 9-28-01.
You are an employee of AWcom and from the corporate office you telegramed
back and forth to me regarding the error and the details of it. It was
you who failed to pass that information on to Noelle and expected me to
repeat all the information. I had informed you I was ending my 12 work
shift.&nbsp; I hardly need to waste time repeating myself. I notified you
who are in the position of customer care. I DID my part! That is YOUR Failure
as an AWcom Representative. Is it that hard to see that you contribute
to AW's negligence when you begin to decide what is privilege response
from you and what is normal customer service?&nbsp;&nbsp; The result that
I see is that on 9-28-01 two customers I know had their credit information
poorly handled by AWcom.&nbsp; The following week more customers had been
hurt by the same site. All during that time you were using your opinion
to ignore my original notices as well as my courtesy follow up that Thursday.
I contacted you as well as support several times during that week. Now
those failed responses&nbsp; results in customers being overdrawn now...
That represents AWcom's Answer?&nbsp; That hurts the customer. That is
the reason this problem went on for over ten days. I also know of a customer
who HAS phoned you and who HAS NOT been reimbursed by you.
such as your remarks concerning telegram contact only help to break down
the company and it's customer care or lack there of. There is never an
excuse to ignore a serious problem, ever! Money problems on the site is
a serious problem!
which includes a large 3D division within AW. You are very aware that we
host many worlds for many customers from around the globe. Daily I hear
from world owners as well as new customers inquiring about worlds. I hear
their cries all too often. So when I take the time out of my day... time
that normally goes to filling the gaps of AW's support... much of which
I hear goes un-answered... I expect that AW would be interested in hearing
the facts from outside their own little shell.&nbsp; But you have shown
me in your own words. In your opinion it was handled satisfactory!&nbsp;
In my opinion and the opinion of the many it affected... the losses caused
by your ways are very UN-satisfactory...
safety as to recommend and endorse the sending of Credit Card data over
unsecured sources....&nbsp;&nbsp; well that is showing a huge amount of
ignorance and neglect on the part of AWcom with you as their representative.
I would think your merchant account would be closed if they heard your
recommendation! They require that security measures be taken for credit
approvals without the presence of customer or card! Based on your statements...
the whole Net should do away with SSL and give up all the secure servers
and browser encryption's. Flagg says it's SAFE to send your Credit Card
via open e-mail... Hey MicroSoft, Hey Netscape... You wasted Millions $$$$
on secure sockets and encryption!!!!&nbsp; Flagg knows more than all the
experts and releases to press that e-mail is good enough!!!!
and the fact there was a problem at the beginning. Many people would have
been saved the troubles that your disregards caused.&nbsp; It appears rather
than apologize for the error in judgments you choose to flame and make
me look bad... All I did was take it to the public eye to insure change
would come about... I am glad to see from your post that certain issues
are now being dealt with... I hope this brings on some oversight in the
future so others can be safer doing business with AWcom.&nbsp; A customer
based company's most valuable resource is the customers... try not to forget
that...&nbsp; I am not the bad guy... just the one willing to step out
and speak for the little people who get hurt...
[View Quote] --------------AE3FE324B4B6200103A3F88F--

grimble

Oct 11, 2001, 5:32pm
Grow up. How many times has this happended with AW? How many times has any
company made a mistake with an order? How many times has your bank screwed
up your account, charging you the wrong amount. Fair Trade has nothing to do
with clerical or user consumer errors. Its protection for the consumer
against malicious practices.

.... and as for "Ever think Grimble" .... idiot!

[View Quote]

grimble

Oct 11, 2001, 5:39pm
[View Quote] Where small-time contributers belong. ;O)