shalimar // User Search

1  2  3  |

Happy Holidays from US

Dec 21, 2005, 3:55pm
Very nice :) Thank you! Have a Merry Christmas!
[View Quote]

Take a Bet

Dec 24, 2005, 12:43am
During the hunt, knowing you had been kept awake the previous night by
worlds going down and bots needing restarted (mine being one of them), I did
not want to telegram you and awaken you from a nap. However, due to family
illness, I couldn't just sit around and wait for you to find a gram from me
to give me an answer either. Tengel also was online and if you couldn't have
helped me, I was going to ask him my question. When I grammed, I said
something like "Hello :) Are you there?", as you had yourself marked AFK
through most of the hunt. This is the way you replied:

Telegram from Andras, sent Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:08 PM:

Is is usually much faster if you immediately tell your problem than asking
me if I'm here :)

On another occasion during the few days of the hunt, I lost ISP connection
several times during the day. I rarely have problems with my ISP, but it
seemed to be a large area problem that day. Once again......I received a
gram from you (which I apparently have deleted), asking just who hosted my
worlds that they were "down all over the place". It was at that point, I
offered to close my world and withdraw it from the hunt.

When there were problems, everyone says to ask Andras, but my experience
this year was filled with sarcastic answers, snappy answers or no answers. I
have decided not to host any more hunts in my worlds.

I know you were under a great deal of stress and had taken on a monumental
sized task which is greatly appreciated by the entire community. But if you
can't do it without stressing out to the point you become downright rude,
what good is it? You also complained of not getting proper sleep because of
worlds going down. This hit a sore spot as I had waited up the entire night
the night before waiting for you or Tengel to show up since you had totally
overlooked putting a bot into my world with days advance notice and all
rights issued. I like proper sleep also! I just don't get much of it.

Why is this posted here? Because what most would have taken as light
hearted jesting about the IO message was once again met with your rising to
chastise the innocent.

I highly suggest a long winter's nap or a lonnnnnng vacation! An apology
for your rudeness wouldn't hurt either. Not everyone phrases things in the
same manner and should not be publically admonished because they don't
approach a subject in the way YOU would.

[View Quote]

A little bit too far (AWGate Woes)

Jan 3, 2006, 3:28am
[View Quote] ******You can't be serious!! I'll disregard the "have no say" part and
dismiss it as misspeak. No interest? Please tell me how or why anyone with
an IQ over 10 would invest the amount of time and money in this place that
has been invested over the years and not care an iota about what takes place
at the front door of the very asset of which we speak! That seems like a
nobrainer.

> As for "eroding the standards of language", I think that's a load of
> bulldoodie. Language, by nature, is a fluid, dynamic entity, as new words
> are created and old words fall out of use to better reflect the current
> state of society. Thus, attempting to define "standards" for such things
> is an exercise in futility, and merely seeks to separate the intellectual
> snobs from those who they deem "crude".
>
> And who gets to decide these standards anyway? Why is "crap" acceptable,
> but "shit" is not? Or "screwed", but not "fucked"? What about euphemisms;
> should they all be banned as well? It's all a slippery slope that will
> result in the abolishment of freedom of speech, and I'd much rather leave
> it up to the individual what they do and do not want to hear. This is why
> there's a mute function, people! :P

******Moral conscience decides the standards, that's who! And I believe that
is exactly what CoLor is saying. The tidal wave of profanity and vulgarity
that has taken over the music and film industries has so desensitized not
just the young ones, but the older generation also to the point we
frequently don't even hear what is said. But a youngster who is looking for
a place to stretch the boundaries and "run with the big dogs", if you will,
would be in a world of delight to pick up on and repeat what he views as
adult talk.

I find it sad....sad that your school of thought from which you speak leaves
it to the innocent to decide what he should censor himself from. We didn't
have to worry about that (back in the old days.....*cough*). Adults
restrained themselves in the presence of children to protect them. Men
restrained themselves in the presence of women to respect them. Sound old
fashioned? It is. But there is a LOT to be said in favor of it! And
btw.......one never heard about first amendment rights being threatened by
it. It was the silent code we lived by. And it produced some of the top
historical figures of all time.

We had Arthur Godfrey.......now we have Howard Stern. We had Make Room for
Daddy......now we have Sex and the City. We had groups who gathered at the
corner store or local pub to discuss the weather, politics and neighborhood
gossip. Now we have a world wide web of cultures who gather online and test
the system to see who can come the closest to being the most profane, vulgar
and disgusting without getting ejected.

What a world!

[View Quote]

A little bit too far (AWGate Woes)

Jan 3, 2006, 12:55pm
Interesting Mark! I've been wondering the same about you since I came here.
I've asked around, but no one seems to know. Enlighten us, pleeeeeezeee??
LOL !! And btw......I really hate it when people start veering away from the
main subject of the very thread upon which they post. Let's be fair and not
take this or anything out of context. THAT is more what this thread is
about, eh?

[View Quote]

A little bit too far (AWGate Woes)

Jan 3, 2006, 8:41pm
Well slap my back and call me Leroy!! LOL!! I can't believe....well, I DO
believe, but it just seems wrong! (make that !!! :) ) To me there are
miles of difference between cit groups that organize activities "for" the
community "by" the community and some self appointed clique who decides how
to "police" every cit who is paying the same amount to be here (in some
cases a lot more) in the way they solely see fit. What ever happened to by
the people for the people? If that's the case, can't any Joe or Jane say
they are going to start up a group called Happy Keepers and set up shop any
old where and enforce any old thing? Mark asked what planet I was
from....he was right! Not one in this universe. Where I came from all
things started at the Admin level and was delegated down. That included
gatewatchers, greeters and the "policing" crew as well as all managers. You
have just reminded me why it was I never spend time at the Gate. :)) And if
this is the case, then why are you bellyaching, equin0x?
Instead.....organize a coup! lol p.s. Wake me when it's over :)
[View Quote]

I See Weird Things!

Jan 4, 2006, 9:55pm
For a couple of days, in one of my worlds I keep seeing random flashes. It
looks sometimes like a gray box bouncing off the side browser and at other
times, just flashes of brighter light. I have no idea what it is.

This evening, I went into another one of my worlds and all of a sudden I can
see the line of every seam, sides and top, of the skybox. The same skybox
has been in there for 3 years!

What is going on? Anyone know?

I See Weird Things!

Jan 5, 2006, 2:32am
I did, I was, then it didn't! lol I always use Direct3D and tick T&L
support. But I checked just to make sure and hmmmmm.....there I was on Open
GL : / Must have been in a hurry when I set up the settings after
redownloading the browswer not to long ago. Happy that someone had such
insight and it was an easy fix, I changed it, restarted, entered my world
and *Flash!!* :( Back to the drawing board. Still looking for an
answer. Thanks for taking my attention to my video settings, though :) At
least that got fixed!
[View Quote]

I See Weird Things!

Jan 5, 2006, 3:58am
LOL! Been there, done that - and they sent me to Active Worlds! hahaha

[View Quote]

I See Weird Things!

Jan 6, 2006, 9:13pm
No, I haven't changed video cards. I just bought this computer and started
using it in November. It runs a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 and I have my settings
on Direct3D with T&L Hardware support. And............still flashing
:( Really, I hadn't changed anything. The flashing has only started within
the last couple weeks. I'm lost.
[View Quote]

Will the last person in AW please turn out the lights

Jan 6, 2006, 11:39am
I couldn't agree more.
In the recent effort to have Freebies world return, I was trying to explain
to JP who Ananas was. He didn't know. I mentioned 2 or 3 other names we are
all familiar with, people who supply tons of support info ie Mauz and tools
for AW, ie Ananas (and another whom at this moment I can't remember which
and don't want to name the wrong name). He didn't know them either. He said
and I quote "There are just too many of them out there. I really don't know
who they are". In all fairness, we DID get a stale version of Freebies, but
that was more thanks to Mike of SM. All AW had to do was load it.
I realize that all the constant begging and gouging for the release of
4.1 must have them on their ear and ready to throw us all out. And I realize
they are working very hard, with minimal staff to cover all the bases. But I
hate to say here that even 4.1 is not really for us. We aren't the top
consideration there. If so, there wouldn't be features included which
EXCLUDE use by this universe. And I assure you there are. A lot of you know
that.
Finally, on the recent thread re the incident at the Gate and the
discussion about Gatekeepers and whether or not AWI had much if any control
over them, I sent the following email to JP and Rick:

From: Shalimar
Date: 01/03/06 11:36:02
To: JP McCormick; Rick Noll
Subject: Fw: A little bit too far (AWGate Woes)

Dear JP and Rick,

I would have gone the normal routes and asked via the NG posts for a
response to this, but even I have to admit..getting anyone from AWI to
answer in the NG's lately has been most difficult! I do understand, however,
that you all have your plates really full at this time.

It seems to be a recurring "whine" and complaint not only in NG's but
private chats, that the powers that be don't really know what's going on in
AW and that they don't care to know. JP....you rather endorsed that school
of thought recently in a phone conversation I had with you by saying of some
of the most prominent, time giving, ardent working and long standing cits
that you "didn't know them *laughed*, and there are just a lot of them out
there". Not good. They are the ppl who keep this place running on a daily
basis. They fill your pockets with the $$$ and if they all went on an
extended vacation at the same time, you would be standing there with your
.......... well, suffice to say your mouth open :)

I personally own 8 worlds in here. I spend a considerable amount of
money on what I consider to be a "hobby". But if my hobby were woodworking
for example and the lumber I had been receiving was not good quality, the
lumber yard wouldn't answer the phone and the yard owner claimed he'd never
heard of me, I'd be knitting mittens in a heartbeat!!

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck and I know as well as you do
that there will ALWAYS be whiners about something or someone. But just a
moment of your attention here would be most appreciated. Please post on this
thread.

Sincerely,
Janet McIntosh
aka Shalimar

As you can see......to date, no response. So throw out the previously
requested "Enzo Please Read" or "Enzo Please Respond".......nobody is
watching and they don't know who the heck you are anyway! What is worse is
they don't care :(
I was naive enough to believe they were just busy at the moment,
but I've really learned a lot in the past week or so. For those of you, and
you know who you are, who think you have the inside connection and have been
blessed with a visit or a word from Rick who continues to assure and
reassure that "AW has no plans for closing. If fact, we are currently
working on some things that will blow your socks off" (paraphrase)
..........I say, wake up and smell the coffee!!! (Or bs as the case may be)
Surrrrrrre, AW will be around. And surrrrrrre they will have a great
browser! But he's not talking about US! He is talking about their
commercial and educational unis.
So I for one will start protecting my own wallet and drop my
worlds by attrition. And Ely.....should I be the last one to leave, I'll be
sure to turn out the lights :)

[View Quote]

A WARNING TO ALL...

Jan 12, 2006, 9:11pm
[View Quote] **** At least you got this part right!

> Let's get this straight for once and all...if I find out that one of the
> users in Active Worlds falsely accuses me or any citizens in order to get
> them or me wrongly permanently banned by AWI, I will have them thrown out
> of the universe by contacting AWI about it.

*****This is like saying I'll perform a heart transplant on you by
calling the doctor.!! Equally effective. Did you even read this crap before
you sent it?

This message is prompted by

***** and I quote "which has gotten me suspicious about whether he will
made up
> a false accusation or not. I doubt he will take that dangerous risks but
> this message is simply a warning that applies to ANYONE that uses Active
> Worlds.Don't even think about taking that path or I will do what I have
> stated above. This is your warning. I'm warning you all. Don't make me do
> this. This is a serious stuff and I'm not even being funny or joking AT
> ALL." Ahemmm....the grammar is pathetic, the caps inexcusable and the
> threat hysterically funny.

> If you want to make my day, go ahead and see what happens next. Thank you
> for your attention. Have a good evening or day, whereever you are.
>
> --
> Respectfully Yours,
> Legion
> Chief Executive Officer and President of Operations
> Circle of Peace Inc. Management

***** Sounds to me like a bad case of Legion "airs" disease. The kind
where you buy the person for what he's worth, sell him for what he "thinks"
he's worth and walk away ala Donald Trump! Personally, I've never heard of
this so called corporation, nor it's CEO and considering this post, I'm a
much better person for it! LMAO

Don't Just Say No

Jan 17, 2006, 5:47am
When one needs or desires to work on something for a while without being
disturbed and having their concentration ruined and their perhaps limited
time eaten up, it is most difficult to pull off. If you take an alternate
cit (a hider), sooner or later you screw up and telegram someone without
thinking and blow your own cover! (guilty) If you put up AFK...yet you are
spotted in your world you receive grams telling you your AFK is on and you
must not know it O_O ! If you don't answer your grams and think you will get
to them later........half the people think you are busy, the other half
think they are being snubbed and get ticked. Annnnnnd, if you use the
infamous ? beside your name, you lose half your friends and an
unbelievable number of ? begin to show up on your own contact list. Last,
but definitely not least, if you use the 'block telegram' feature, people
assume they have been singled out, that you are mad at them and they never
want to speak to you again. The current statement that you are not accepting
grams at this time sounds simply.....rude.

It would be sooooooooo nice if some alternatives were added to the choices,
much like the ones on an IM proggie. Busy, Working, Out to Lunch,
etc........or my favorite would be one that would say you were not accepting
grams FOR THE MOMENT but will resume in X number of minutes or hours.

Would this be so difficult??

Shalimar

Heaven Has Another Angel

Jan 27, 2006, 1:56am
We usually hear of the passing of a dear AW friend via the usual channels,
ie Grams, Memorial build notices, etc. And I'm sure many of you know that
Breeze. (<--with the dot), formerly known as Waterbreeze passed away on
January 24. A memorial site has been added to the Get Well site that was set
up for her on Christmas Day when she first became ill. The memorial begins
at aw 9045.05S 2024.72E 0.16a 90, directly behind the initial site.

Breeze. was a very special woman. She had built with me and for me for the
last 4 years. She still found time to build for no less than half a dozen
others and has constructed the largest "library" of move commands, jpgs, and
other helpful tools I've ever seen in aw. She took every task seriously and
gave it 150%.

She was so very proud of her children and grandchildren and frequently had
them in here with her teaching them to build and showing them the sites. AW
was a huge part of her life.

She unfortunately lost her husband just a year and a half ago. So her
children and grandchildren have had a lot to deal with. They enjoy what can
be accomplished in VR.

So I encourage anyone who knew this wonderful lady to drop by and leave a
card, a small build, poem or word of encouragement for her children to keep
and cherish for a long time to come.

Breeze. was known by many, and loved by all who knew her. AW has a lot of
broken hearts right now.....but Heaven has a new angel.

Selling avatars of RPG avatar set

Feb 2, 2006, 1:24pm
Obviously you guys have been using aw stock avs for waaaay too long! There
are some sold out there you could hang your coat on their "busty" and others
that look like they need a wheelbarrow attached to carry their "busty". LOL
These are very nice, actually :)) Cute avs.

[View Quote]

Selling avatars of RPG avatar set

Feb 5, 2006, 4:38am
Ha! Great! And I suppose next you are going to try to tell me I can't
really fly?! pfffffft! :)

[View Quote]

Browser problem d/l stuff...

Feb 9, 2006, 5:09am
Sometimes, and for what reason I've never had explained, a cache(2) forms
and plants itself outside your AW program folder. It could be anywhere on
your HD. Try running a search using the word cache and see if you have
multiple ones. If so, delete them all and try again! This has caused me
similar problems in the past. Good luck :)

[View Quote]

Happy Valentine's Day

Feb 10, 2006, 12:13pm
Holidayz world is now open for that special day. Happy Valentine's Day from
Shyone, Shalimar and Holidayz world!

Error associated with command?

Mar 15, 2006, 3:35pm
Can anyone tell me why when using this command: create name a,animate
me . 1 1 0,astart;adone texture clr_marb name=a,astart a I receive
this error?

Warning: unable to download www.domain.com/op/textures/.jpg (file not found)
I see this error often in other worlds. Is the name/pole comman obsolete
now ?

Error associated with command?

Mar 15, 2006, 11:14pm
Thank you everyone!! I think I've actually learned something here :) I'm
now error free.

[View Quote]

Holidayz World

Mar 17, 2006, 4:16am
Happy St Patty's Day from Shyone, Shalimar and Holidayz world! Have a great
one :)

FREE set of 10 Easter Balloons

Mar 23, 2006, 5:37am
:( I can't get the balloons to download. Anyone else have any trouble with
it?

[View Quote]

Just for fun

Apr 8, 2006, 3:21pm
Alright, ALRIGHT!! Geeeeesh, we have to tell everything?? I'm a woman
advanced in years past the age of 25 (x X) ~.~ , so I have no idea why I
dream of Barbie dolls. But I do have an original 1959 Barbie in primo
condition in the original box. This makes it kinda, sorta worth something. A
few months back someone asked to see it and to my horror......I couldn't
find it! I finally found it, but had worried about it all day. Why this
long winded tale? To try and convince myself that it was more to do with
the Barbie than my time on the pc. Anyway, that night I had a dream that a
whole bunch of ppl were helping me search for the doll. Box after box they
opened with dolls in them claiming they had found it and I would shoot them
down with a firm NO! Finally, in my dream I found her......and the defining
characteristic was that.........she had on the same outfit as Jenna, the AW
av! Now THAT makes a Barbie a Barbie! LOL

Much more shocking was two years ago in late spring. While driving with
hubby, we were looking at how many trees had come into full leaf. I found
one! A young maple and pointed it out to him. Having his eyes on the road
(just like I taught him , heheh) he missed it. He asked "Which one?" And I
so swiftly and easily answered , "That tree7m right there!" : /

*Pulls hat back down over eyes and exits, stage right!*

[View Quote]

5 days left on world is it worth me renewing?

Apr 25, 2006, 3:28am
:) *shakes head and walks away*

[View Quote]

CY nominations SOON!

May 10, 2006, 12:07pm
Now you're talkin' !! :) I have a number of worlds here in AW and have
never ever been sure of myself when rating them. The guidelines were not
meant for this medium and it really gets confusing.
ENZO himself once visited the world of a friend of mine and looked at things
she thought were questionable and gave her a thumbs up on a much less
restrictive rating. So who is supposed to know?
Sweets, it's a great idea and I hope you propose this to someone at AWI. If
they are at the top of their game, as they have been for the last several
weeks, you may or may not get a response :( -- in which case I hope you
then draft your own committee and guidelines and present them to JP via
email (he looks at that or has someone do it for him lol).
Leaving the rating to the world owner as an arbitrary decision is only fuel
for disaster. All these references to the SAG and the Oscars: They sure
don't leave it to the movie's producer to rate films! It is done by the
powers that be.
So, it sounds to me like you have hit the nail on the head here and some
positive action to see this to fruition would be great!
Good on ya :)

[View Quote]

World Server

Jun 3, 2006, 10:12pm
In a word......YES!!! All day and all I have now are no fingernails and a
flaming new stomach ulcer! I have experienced everything you mentioned.
Plus some. The latest are two blue screen errors complete with a sound that
makes me think my new pc is self destructing! I'm finished. I know my pw is
correct, I know my world is running because I'm in the &%$#! thing,
yet....it doesn't show on the world list. Then there is the one on the
world list that says it ISN'T running! *sigh* This browser drinks resources
like a horse drinks water and I have rebooted more in one day than I have
all year. I think I'm gonna be sick now....... it's not easy being green.
[View Quote]

Did You Know?

Jun 3, 2006, 11:18pm
Did you know that Windows XP and dos screens may = bluescreen death??? I
didn't. Until today, two bluescreen errors and one call to Microsoft. Way
to go, AWI......now what???

cy boner

Jun 26, 2006, 2:56am
Stupid sounds good to me!

I've seen that same statement containing the word "postboned" three times
today. I didn't snicker the first and I'm not snickering now.

There is NO way I could make this strong enough to illustrate your
stupidity, rush to judgement or ill mannered pathetic sick sense of humor!

That statement was made by someone whose first language is not English.
Sometimes other languages make use of consonants in places we find
odd......and the reverse is true as we do for them.

A lot of European languages call objects, objekts........now there's a REAL
knee slapper!!! Just laugh your stupid *** all the way home, sweets! And
next time you look in your dictionary, try looking up the word "humanity".
In your dictionary, that would be in the foreign words section.

[View Quote]

sweets & The CYs

Jun 26, 2006, 4:16pm
I believe my first post was lost in the avalanche, so I'll try again. Lady
Tigrane, the situation is not hilarious nor was it a typo!

I've seen that same statement containing the word "postboned" three times
today. I didn't snicker the first and I'm not snickering now.

There is NO way I could make this strong enough to illustrate the stupidity,
rush to judgement or ill mannered pathetic sick sense of humor aired in here
over the weekend.

That statement was made by someone whose first language is not English.
Sometimes other languages make use of consonants in places we find
odd......and the reverse is true as we do for them.

A lot of European languages call objects, objekts........now there's a REAL
knee slapper!!! To all of you who have found this worthy of three days of
mocking and ridicule, the next time you look in your dictionary, try looking
up the word "humanity".
In your dictionary, that would be in the foreign words section.

[View Quote]

sweets & The CYs

Jun 26, 2006, 5:58pm
This is the last I intend to post on this exhausted matter. It was not a
quote. I didn't call it a quote. I did not put it into quotations marks.
It was an updated post and the original was not totally applicable the
second time around because the focus had changed.

You have totally ignored the main point of the post and that was to inform
you that it was NOT a typo as has been mentioned over and over.

For someone who claims to be so intelligent I am bewildered as to why you
are so thick this has to be explained over and over and over. NOT a typo.
A difference in language. A difference in the use of consonants. What part
don't you get?????? And I wasn't looking for a laugh for objekts.....DUH!
It's just another example of a consonant we would not use in that
application.

And btw.....if you EVER find an ounce of that elusive quality called
humanity floating by......grab it! Then you can apologize to the person you
have humiliated repeatedly for the last few days. One who incidentally has
taken all of this with grace and dignity.

I don't care if they're postponed, postboned, deboned or hamboned! The CYs
will be awarded this coming Saturday and all this nonsense will be just a
faded memory of a nasty taste of your ignorance.

[View Quote]

Final Answer.... Please!!

Jul 23, 2006, 11:22am
When upgrading to a new world server admin tool, do you have to uninstall
the one you are using and lose all the world info you have entered into it,
or can you simply overwrite with the newest build? I have asked AW Support
twice and have received two different answers! : /

1  2  3  |