I encountered a bug lastnight.. (Community)

I encountered a bug lastnight.. // Community

1  |

budweiser

May 29, 2001, 3:25pm
Last night, I was building, but aw was acting like I was trying to build
while not connected to the internet. I would build the object, but the
object would disappear right after I did.. No BI messages or anything. I
exited and reopen aworld and I found the many copies of the object that I
was trying to make. I guess what it was is I was making the objects, but
aw could not tell they were there. I thought that was kind of strange so I
figured I would mention here.

Thanks.

I've had this happen to me before as well. But I think it has more to do
with your internet connection and system resources than it does AW
itself. Sometimes you will build something, but it won't appear after
you close the OP box. But if you left the world and came back, it would
be there. Check to make sure your internet connection isn't acting hokey
or your system resources aren't too low.

Could be wrong... usually is.
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

facter facter@awsupport

The most likely cause of this problem was Internet lag, and a bad connection
between yourself and our servers, a router may of gone down and the update
packets were taking longer to get to you than usual....it happens...

Get a T1 or DSL :)

...though, thats no guarantee - even with high speed connections, the
internet is a shoddy place..and only as reliable as the routers you go
through to get where your going...

F.

wing

May 29, 2001, 5:33pm
It also happens when you're duping LOTS of objects at the same time. For example, building a large pyramid (Which for some reason
doesn't always line up right) and using the same wall to build all four sides.
[View Quote]

wing

May 29, 2001, 7:22pm
T1 or DSL... What about OC256? *very very very wide grin*

WTF is that for anyway? Intercontinental backbone? If you think cable is broadband, then that shit must be goliath band.
[View Quote]

s p a r k

May 29, 2001, 7:46pm
I want one of those *get evil grin*
I wonder how mucht hat would cost? Millions? Or just regular old Hunder's of
thousands? Tehehehe

[View Quote]

s p a r k

May 29, 2001, 8:10pm
Hundreds*
[View Quote]

builderz

May 29, 2001, 8:26pm
According to http://www.eggxpress.com/standards/standconn.html, an OC256
connection (Transatlantic Link, as they call it) is approximately $1.5
million per month. One word can describe that price: ouch. I think I'll
stick to my DSL connection for the time being. =) Interestingly, the
site also states that: "A T-1 line requires 24 phone lines." Is that
accurate? If it is, no wonder businesses are leaning towards cable and
DSL access.

Builderz
Stuff-X - Bot & World Hosting Services
http://www.stuffx.com/aw/
PGP Key ID: 0xAC0E7073 (for non-commercial use)

[View Quote]

wing

May 29, 2001, 8:44pm
Hehe :) An OC-256 line is buried outside my house, one of the goodies that starts on east coast of US, makes mad speed for Europe.
I've been tempted to jack it once or twice, after all, who will notice that I have a twenty four inch fiber optic line plugged into
my PC?
[View Quote]

budweiser

May 29, 2001, 10:46pm
The most likely cause of this problem was Internet lag, and a bad connection
between yourself and our servers, a router may of gone down and the update
packets were taking longer to get to you than usual....it happens...

That makes sense, I do use a 56k modem that really acts like a 28-33k modem,
however this is the first time experiencing this problem.

Get a T1 or DSL :)

Oh you better believe I would if I could, however my current situation does
not allow me to connect to the internet by any other means than a phone
line.

Thanks for your answer

jfk2

May 30, 2001, 12:50am
Heheheheeee It gets even funnier when you are editing links.
That is WARPS & TELEPORTS.... One moment everything works great
AND the next everything is messed up. No warnings NO NOTHING...
And you beam [warp &or teleport] your self to all the wrong places...
Simply because AW is acting like it got WAY TO DRUNK and didn't bother
to inform you.
Makes it really funny when the links & warp & Teleports are to change
your BOT COPY thing so it dosen't point to the ORIGIONAL LOCATION....
and there are umpteen of these & you go nuts trying to figure out what
is happening.... Makes for a wonderful night AND aw is so kind NOT to
give you bad messages.... HOW wonderful they are...
I've had that every so often in AW, Beta, RPG worlds.
[Haven't been building in any others long enough for that to happen yet]

budweiser <charest at balista.com> wrote in <3b13db7f at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Last night, I was building, but aw was acting like I was trying to build
>while not connected to the internet. I would build the object, but the
>object would disappear right after I did.. No BI messages or anything. I
>exited and reopen aworld and I found the many copies of the object that I
>was trying to make. I guess what it was is I was making the objects, but
>aw could not tell they were there. I thought that was kind of strange so I
>figured I would mention here.
>
>Thanks.

jfk2

May 30, 2001, 1:00am
That could be another consideration too... And sometimes when the
cable modem needs to be reset [unplugged & plugged back in] it can
shut you down. I MEAN ALL OF YOUR SYSTEM DOWN... And with me....
that includes 3 worlds. Not to mention, ICQ, PalTalk, NET2Phone, and a few
other servers i run...

goober king <rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote in
<3B13F261.D326AA12 at acsu.buffalo.edu>:

>I've had this happen to me before as well. But I think it has more to do
>with your internet connection and system resources than it does AW
>itself. Sometimes you will build something, but it won't appear after
>you close the OP box. But if you left the world and came back, it would
>be there. Check to make sure your internet connection isn't acting hokey
>or your system resources aren't too low.

[View Quote]

jfk2

May 30, 2001, 1:21am
Ohhhhh.... How i love my CABLE modem speed... It beats 56k dialup...
But in some ways a good 56k dial up is better.... AT least when you have
to deal in some areas in AW... True it is SLOW... But if you are the type of
nice person that gets some world owners teed at you & they boot you...
Their world will only see the ISP NUMBER... And they RE-DIAL-UP and get a new
ISP NUMBER and waltz back into that world that they have been booted from...
THE rest of us... ON CABLE have to wait 3 weeks for that change to happen...
AND if you are on DSL or T-1.... It never will happen. That means you could be
locked out FOREVER.... So when i had the golden opportunity to switch
to DSL... I told them to kiss my.... Well.... I prefer the ISP NUMBER
change every 3 weeks to NONE FOREVER ones... Then you can re-enter
worlds you might have been a naughty person in....
[SEE.... I AVOIDED MENTIONING ANY NAMES]

PS!!!! One advantage to OWNING or CO-OWNING a world...
You say the naughty words that get someone else booted from...
AND you can't be booted from it. lolol. NOT EVEN BY A BOT!!!!!

builderz <sawran at yahoo.com> wrote in <3B1421AE.AB9A1102 at yahoo.com>:

>According to http://www.eggxpress.com/standards/standconn.html, an OC256
>connection (Transatlantic Link, as they call it) is approximately $1.5
>million per month. One word can describe that price: ouch. I think I'll
>stick to my DSL connection for the time being. =) Interestingly, the
>site also states that: "A T-1 line requires 24 phone lines." Is that
>accurate? If it is, no wonder businesses are leaning towards cable and
>DSL access.
>
>Builderz
>Stuff-X - Bot & World Hosting Services
>http://www.stuffx.com/aw/
>PGP Key ID: 0xAC0E7073 (for non-commercial use)

wing

May 30, 2001, 8:15am
Errrrrrrrm. jfk, give me your damn computer now. Unplugging a cable modem should *not* cause a reset, cuz the only cables running
into it are it's own INDEPENDENT power, a network cable, and a coax TV cable. Unplugging any of these would simply terminate the
connection to the internet, not your computer's power. This is true for ANY external PC component. In fact, removing cards from a
computer while it's powered on won't damage it, just reset it. Of course, I don't recommend any of you be as dumb as me and try it.
But this is the ONLY unplug that I can think of that would reboot a computer. Also, stop complaining about having so much running.
Either LIVE WITH IT or DON'T RUN IT.
[View Quote]

builderz

May 30, 2001, 8:16am
FYI: it is called IP address, not "ISP NUMBER" and on certain types of
DSL you can have dynamic (changing) IP addresses. If your ISP lets you
have multiple static IP addresses (like mine does), and you get ejected
from a world, just change your IP and you are good to go. Or if you
still have a modem in your computer with broadband access, just use
regular dial-up and re-enter the world. =)

Builderz
Stuff-X - Bot & World Hosting Services
http://www.stuffx.com/aw/
PGP Key ID: 0xAC0E7073 (for non-commercial use)

[View Quote]

wing

May 30, 2001, 8:18am
Uhh cable has 3 week dynamic IPs? What the hell service do you use? I've been connecting to the same guy's cable IP for about a year
now.
[View Quote]

s p a r k

May 30, 2001, 7:21pm
You can eject people who have Ct, done it many time before, hehe.

[View Quote]

nova n@n.com

May 30, 2001, 8:54pm
t1 is phone line you caneven split it off and have a extra phone line
[View Quote]

nova n@n.com

May 30, 2001, 8:58pm
mine rotates every few hours if i unplug it at the right time it dont change
less you power it down.
Im on road runner and their service can vary from state to state city to
city or even node to node.

[View Quote]

datedman

May 31, 2001, 1:21am
A t1 line is 24 fone lines, KIND of, but it's about a grand a month including
the 'fone lines'

[View Quote] > t1 is phone line you caneven split it off and have a extra phone line
[View Quote]

jfk2

May 31, 2001, 2:26am
So what you are saying... When you unplug the cable modem...
UNPLUG THE POWER CORD... The other end of that goes into the wall that it
dosen't reset the cable modem at all?

wing <bathgate at prodigy.net> wrote in <3b14c85b at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Errrrrrrrm. jfk, give me your damn computer now. Unplugging a cable modem
should *not* cause a reset, cuz the only cables running
>into it are it's own INDEPENDENT power, a network cable, and a coax TV cable.
Unplugging any of these would simply terminate the
>connection to the internet, not your computer's power. This is true for ANY
external PC component. In fact, removing cards from a
>computer while it's powered on won't damage it, just reset it. Of course, I
don't recommend any of you be as dumb as me and try it.
>But this is the ONLY unplug that I can think of that would reboot a computer.
Also, stop complaining about having so much running.
>Either LIVE WITH IT or DON'T RUN IT.
[View Quote]

jfk2

May 31, 2001, 2:30am
Forgot to mention something... If i hand you my computer... How do you
suppose that i get on the internet and say wonderful things to all of my
friends AND SOME THAT ARE NOT MY FRIENDS...

wing <bathgate at prodigy.net> wrote in <3b14c85b at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Errrrrrrrm. jfk, give me your damn computer now. Unplugging a cable modem
should *not* cause a reset, cuz the only cables running
>into it are it's own INDEPENDENT power, a network cable, and a coax TV cable.
Unplugging any of these would simply terminate the
>connection to the internet, not your computer's power. This is true for ANY
external PC component. In fact, removing cards from a
>computer while it's powered on won't damage it, just reset it. Of course, I
don't recommend any of you be as dumb as me and try it.
>But this is the ONLY unplug that I can think of that would reboot a computer.
Also, stop complaining about having so much running.
>Either LIVE WITH IT or DON'T RUN IT.
[View Quote]

jfk2

May 31, 2001, 3:58am
Have you ever heard of something called AOHELL?
Well.... 01/01/2001 they bought out Time Warner Of Central NY
And Time Warner Of Central Ny is not only my ISP for cable...
BUT it feeds the tv set as well... And all of you should know how AOHELL
operates... I had to deal with their NASTY ASSES a long time ago...
When i was only able to do 9600 bd modem speed...
But that was back in the days of...

Delphi, Genie, Compuserve, NVN, BIX, AOL [AOHELL even back then], Prodigy
And finally USA Today [USA Today was a SPORTS & NEWS SERVICES primarily]
and this was way back in 1994 - 1996... That area of time...
and actually i found that going through my local one a little better...
DREAMSCAPE BBS -> later i had to go through it's GATEWAY to the internet...
And my first email was gkieffer at future.dreamscape.com

wing <bathgate at prodigy.net> wrote in <3b14c8db at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Uhh cable has 3 week dynamic IPs? What the hell service do you use? I've
>been connecting to the same guy's cable IP for about a year now.
[View Quote]

chucks party

May 31, 2001, 9:14am
No, you are absolutely right then, it's an AW.com thing cause it happened
not only to me but to a friend of mine that has DSL and just the other night
the same night it happened to you. We were both building on Elysium and both
expierienced the same problem at the same exact time. I use a 56k modem. So
I am more inclined to go with Facter's premise that AW screwed up about the
same time and it had nothing to do with any of our connections tho as I have
just pointed out. More than just a coincidence don't you think?

[View Quote]

wing

May 31, 2001, 5:00pm
Hrmm, I could have sworn that you implied that the ENTIRE system reset when you unplugged it. As far as how you'd get on the
internet and say "wonderful" things- You don't. Concider it your gift to society.
[View Quote]

wing

May 31, 2001, 5:02pm
AOL didn't buy Time Warner, they merged. Get your facts straight. Pretty sure they did it late last year, not new years day this
year.
[View Quote]

jfk2

May 31, 2001, 8:43pm
Anytime i get on the internet INCLUDING AW and the AW's NGS...
I always say wonderful NICE things....
ask Chucks Party.... or FriendPA...
Thing is... If you decide to ask all the WRONG PEOPLE... I'm sure they have
a slightly different opinion of me. But that would be the same of you.
You ask the wrong people about you... And you will be taken apart in pieces.
SO... I only ask all the right people and they praise me at least somewhat for
my very nice things i say in here.