datedman // User Search

1  2  3  4  5  6  |

Beta testers needed for Firewall AW version

Mar 29, 2001, 9:39pm
I think they mean using a "standard" port like say, 80 or whatever to bypass those pesky corporate
firewalls where nothin gets thru unless you get permission signed in triplicate. :)

[View Quote] > odd.. i use a firewall and everything works fine..

> --
> --
> J B E L L
> http://platinum.awjbell.com
> G O I N G P L A T I N U M

[View Quote]

Learn to program bots!

Apr 18, 2001, 12:10pm
Of course, if you program in C without knowing Assembler yer a complete fool. :)

[View Quote] > Heres a translation for you....

> Now, in the world microb a bot teaching center is being designed, no past programming experiance is needed! We will teach you the
> basics of C and C++, only enogh so you can make simple bots. Then you can practice and make youself better! just go to
> cprogramming.com and download the DJGPP compiler, or if you have Visual C++ 4, 5, or 6 that works even better...
> If you would like to teach people and have made your own bots in C/C++ telegram God Zedle.
> -God Zedle (306364)
> Greg Gage
> CEO & Chairman
> MicroB
>
> <snip all due to screwed up quoting and lame scrolling text that I don't feel like fixing cuz it's 3 in the friggin morning>

Learn to program bots!

Apr 19, 2001, 11:27am
Yah, ya know the bottleneck in my system is usually the damned keyboard. I gotta
get some keys that know what I MEANT to type...the backspace alone really eats up
my whole system's resources.

[View Quote] > My speed always goes down when I change the floppy disc where
> I have my cache. I have to find out which one of the 4,000
> floppies it wants at the moment, remove the one that is now
> in the drive and replace it by the one I found.
> Depending on 5.25", 3.5" or 8" it needs more or less time to
> check in the floppy - that really slows down AW cache a lot
> and I cannot recommend to use floppy discs as caching media.

[View Quote]

Learn to program bots!

Apr 19, 2001, 5:51pm
Well if pip wasn't BACKWARDS...

[View Quote] > ... sais it and opens the next page in Rodneys book ...

> pip a:=b: avatars.dat ? I have to look, I somewhere had a MSDos
> version of pip, maybe I can still find it, I will send it to
> you then. But I'm afraid it is on an ESDI drive that I cannot
> connect to any computer anymore.

[View Quote]

Learn to program bots!

Apr 19, 2001, 5:52pm
Yah but who can afford HARD drives??

[View Quote] > Um? Okayyyyyyyy............................. I think they make hard drives for that
[View Quote]

Learn to program bots!

Apr 19, 2001, 10:30pm
Hehe I have some hard sectored 8" floppies around here somewhere, no shit just hadda keep
em.

[View Quote] > wasn't that "hard sectored" ?

[View Quote]

Learn to program bots!

Apr 19, 2001, 10:31pm
NOW ya get all serious on me...I am an assembler coder man...

[View Quote] > pip works like an assignment,

> a:=b:avatars.dat
>
> means you want to assign b:avatars.dat to drive a:
> (same name as there was no different name given)

[View Quote]

Learn to program bots!

Apr 20, 2001, 3:49am
The place I first worked we had Ontel machines using SACBOL (South African COBOL) and Assembler, they came with 2k memory and were
upgradable to a massive 8k! They wrote data on 8" hard-sectored floppies. At the end of the day we'd batch all the data onto a HARD
DRIVE! heehee and beam it all to Chitown to be processed overnight on an IBM 360 after it was transferred to a magtape and driven
across town. Fun shit. :) Then the next morning it went back from tape to hard drive, over a really fast 4800 bps modem, not Kbps mind
you, back to our hard drive, and to the printer. What amazing technology it was!

[View Quote] > Honestly, I've never heard of 8" floppies. Seem them mentioned somewhere before, passed it off as pointless Jap technology though. I
> even recondition some REALLY old comps and have never physically seen one. I guess having entered PC scene around Pentium 1's early
> days and working my way both forward and backwards through technology didn't cover everything.
[View Quote]

Learn to program bots!

Apr 29, 2001, 12:12pm
Um, you could put sequence numbers on the punch cards and run them thru a collator. But if you DIDN'T, you'd have a helluva time if you
dropped a deck (some decks took boxes and BOXES) because the card reader took em in the order you gave em. And it was fun trying to get
a card reader to READ all the cards...NOT. (Guess it was like a grocery store barcode scanner in a way, got flukey after a while.)

[View Quote] [View Quote]

Very Puzzling Function

Jun 2, 2002, 6:52pm
I'm not sure how VN works, I detest it--however I love to optimize code. :)
One thing I can suggest is that you use > instead of >= since I don't know if VB
figures that out for itself and I suspect it does not.

Another thing I see happening is that you're comparing to awobj.x several times
and it's possible that VB will be faster if you assign this to a variable.

Also, you could put more parentheses in some expressions to make things more
clear to VB for instance in:

If (AWObj.Z - TempZ < CellZ And AWObj.Z - TempZ >=
CellZ + 1000) Or (AWObj.Z + TempZ < CellZ And AWObj.Z + TempZ >= CellZ -1000)
Then

In fact you could try coding this as separate if statements and see if that
helps.

You also have several places where you're subtracting tempx from awobj.x, assign
to a variable. Hmmm in fact, lemme see...oh Geez, how the hell does this thing
work? Hehe, either I am missing something drastic or "Xcounter" and "Zcounter"
are never used within the loops.

I still don't even see why yer looping so I'm real clueless here, but why the
hell would you set up step loops using xcounter and zcounter and then never
reference them within the loops?

[View Quote] > As part of the "sekrit project," I've been putting together hard-to-write
> [...]
> Dim TempX As Long, TempZ As Long, XCounter As Long, ZCounter As Long
> Dim XCheck As Boolean
> Dim ZCheck As Boolean
> 'AWObj is an object representing an AW object - X here is the X
> coordinate, Z is the Z coordinate
> For Each AWObj In AWObjectsCol
> If AWObj.Owner <> CitNum Then
> 'This part takes care of the case when the object is actually in
> the cell
> If AWObj.X >= CellX And AWObj.X <= CellX + 1000 And AWObj.Z >=
> CellZ And AWObj.Z <= CellZ + 1000 Then
> CheckCellForEncroachment = True
> Exit Function
> End If
> TempX = mCol(AWObj.Model).X
> TempZ = mCol(AWObj.Model).Z
> XCheck = False
> ZCheck = False
> 'for loops are necessary in the case that an object fills more
> than two cells
> 'in this case, an object could acutally encroach by having both
> ends out of the cell
> 'in question, while the middle is in the building
> For XCounter = TempX To 0 Step -1000
> For ZCounter = TempZ To 0 Step -1000
> 'coordinates of objects in negative numbered cells are
> LOWER than the cell coordinate,
> 'while the coordinates of objects in positive numbered
> cells are HIGHER than the coordinate
> 'this, either the slow abs() function must be used, or
> an if else clause is needed
> If AWObj.X > 0 Then
> If (AWObj.X - TempX > CellX And AWObj.X - TempX <=
> CellX + 1000) Or (AWObj.X + TempX > CellX And AWObj.X + TempX <= CellX +
> 1000) Then
> XCheck = True
> End If
> Else
> If (AWObj.X - TempX < CellX And AWObj.X - TempX >=
> CellX - 1000) Or (AWObj.X + TempX < CellX And AWObj.X + TempX >= CellX -
> 1000) Then
> XCheck = True
> End If
> End If
> If AWObj.Z > 0 Then
> If (AWObj.Z - TempZ > CellZ And AWObj.Z - TempZ <=
> CellZ + 1000) Or (AWObj.Z + TempZ > CellZ And AWObj.Z + TempZ <= CellZ +
> 1000) Then
> ZCheck = True
> End If
> Else
> If (AWObj.Z - TempZ < CellZ And AWObj.Z - TempZ >=
> CellZ + 1000) Or (AWObj.Z + TempZ < CellZ And AWObj.Z + TempZ >= CellZ -
> 1000) Then
> ZCheck = True
> End If
> End If
> If XCheck And ZCheck Then
> CheckCellForEncroachment = True
> Exit Function
> End If
> Next
> Next
> End If
> Next
> CheckCellForEncroachment = False
> 'if no object is found that encroaches, exit

Very Puzzling Function

Jun 5, 2002, 1:18am
As I say, I know very little about VB. :)

However, read my message again and THINK before you reply. All my points are
actually valid to some extent, or may be. :) I'd hazard a guess that I was
optimizing code before you reached puberty. This is not a put-down, just a
simple statement of the fact that I've been doing this a loooong time and I
am actually quite good at it.

[View Quote] > "datedman" <russell at synergycorp.com> wrote in
> news:3CFA8162.F824DCCC at synergycorp.com:
>

> First, > is different from >= because if you have X = 1 and Y = 1 and you
> do If X > Y it will be false, but it will often be desireable to have it
> evalute to true in this case. What's the point of assigning awobj.x to
> another variable? It's already a variable, you'll be wasting time and
> memory assigning it to another var :-)). Parantheses don't make much of a
> difference, really (actually, I don't think they matter at all). Xcounter
> and Zcounter are just a shortcut to have a loop, because the For var = X
> to Y needs a var.
>
> KAH

Very Puzzling Function

Jun 5, 2002, 2:24pm
Hehe yah I had almost forgotten how any post here, no matter how helpful, is
just fodder for folks to jump in and snipe.

As far as the < instead of <=, I thought this to be obvious but I suppose not.
I'm assuming these are long ints. If they are, then let's say the loop is a
valid one and we're using the loop control variable within the loop--instead of:

for xtest = 1 to 100
if x <= xtest

I'd just make it something like:
for xtest = 2 to 101
if x < xtest

....and as far as my seniority...I went to a school in a time when CPU was much
more expensive than programmer time. And it was a good school IMO, Miami-Dade
Community College. Actually when I went there it was just because it was cheap,
and they had big computers and it was too expensive to have a decent one
yourself--but it turned out that the teachers and curriculum there were very
good. Later I went to a four-year school briefly but (at least at the time, and
at this school) I found that they were not focussed on teaching practical stuff,
mostly theory/math instead.

So we nit-picked optimization of Assembler and COBOL code and such. When we
talked about something being "expensive" we meant it ate CPU time. Now
"expensive" might mean that it takes more customer support. :) Hell we didn't
even HAVE customer support in those days, and we liked it! Heehee, man nobody
had a computer on their desktop. What a different world that was.

After school, same thing really--I learned to write fast code that was also
readable/maintainable. We didn't have Java, or VB, or C++ for that matter. And
we were programming for machines that are a joke now, and OS's that were also
quite primitive. So there was less to learn in many ways; consequently we
focussed on things that many programmers nowadays never learn.

Anyway, I assure you that my post was meant to be nothing but helpful. I didn't
mean to belittle the code or anything like that, just to point out some things
that might help it run faster. I assume that when people snipe at me, they think
my post was a snipe in the first place and are contesting that. But I am
basically just not oriented for anything but providing help. That's how my mama
raised me. :)

DM

[View Quote] > How so???? Apologies to Brant for keep referring to the code he posted, but
> <snippety snip>

Very Puzzling Function

Jun 5, 2002, 4:50pm
I just like to optimize. :)

[View Quote] > "datedman" <russell at synergycorp.com> wrote in
> news:3CFD7ED2.7FFF5DDD at synergycorp.com:
>

> I know you had a very good point about those For loops, I was just trying
> to explain why Brant had done it, I would probably have used a Do loop
> myself. You might've optimized code for a while, but it doesn't really
> matter, does it? :-)) Anyway, I have no problems with your post, it had
> quite a few valid points, even though I don't see the interest in gaining
> a few milliseconds in such an app lol, but I guess it's like me and valid
> HTML, it doesn't make any difference really to not have quotes, etc, but
> it still should conform with HTML standards, we all need our little
> quircks ;-))
>
> KAH

Very Puzzling Function

Jun 8, 2002, 11:46am
Cool, sorry my misunderstanding.

[View Quote] > "chazrad" <petrossadeletethis at msn.com> wrote in news:3cfe7c14
> at server1.Activeworlds.com:
>

> But who's sniping who? I guess datedman meant I was "sniping" him, but
> that's a misunderstanding, I was absolutely not trying to be rude or put
> down datedman! If anybody was "sniping" someone in this thread, it was
> Grimble who "sniped" me! Sometimes I wonder why I bother to read and post
> to these NGs...
>
> KAH

Beta testers needed for Firewall AW version

Mar 29, 2001, 9:39pm
I think they mean using a "standard" port like say, 80 or whatever to bypass those pesky corporate
firewalls where nothin gets thru unless you get permission signed in triplicate. :)

[View Quote] > odd.. i use a firewall and everything works fine..

> --
> --
> J B E L L
> http://platinum.awjbell.com
> G O I N G P L A T I N U M

[View Quote]

AW Objects - database?

Apr 6, 2001, 5:00pm
Well,
If it's a 5 minute job why didn't you do it instead of writing that message? :)

It takes a hair longer than that altho not very long yer right, I know because I
did it at one time. But I cannot fathom why anyone would bug Facter for it since
as you say it's a pretty trivial task to do yourself. In fact, while yer at it,
may as well list all the jpeg dimensions and such. :)

The object list in the AW help was originally generated from the database I did, I
went a hair further and wrote a little program that went and got all the textures
from the RWX files. Still took less than a day, I believe it was actually a few
hours including the program to gen the HTML Looking at the source now, I see it
looks like it's been modified by something like Frontpage, which is pretty sad. :)
Doesn't make sense to do it manually, I'm surprised to see manual mods to it when
doing it from a database would be faster and then it's easier to maintain.

ANYhoo, why not just roll your own?

[View Quote] > I do not understand why AW would need months to accomplish this data text file.
> It is a simple task in DOS of just writing a txt file from the appropriate
> folder the objects, textures, etc., are stored in. The txt file then can be
> offered. Takes approximately 5 minutes to make all the lists for a HUGE path. I
> realize AW may have a full plate but I find not putting off, getting done,
> tying loose ends quickly... keeps all happy and makes for a better tomorrow.
> Just a thought... The customer may give up within those few long months...

[View Quote]

AW Objects - database?

Apr 6, 2001, 11:28pm
Sorry I thought we ALL had a copy of the AW objects...

[View Quote] > As you may have read in MY post, the work is done in DOS from the folders... Now...
> how do you expect me to access AW's main folders? I can't... Plus, I am not under
> pay fro AWCOM... I was just putting out how it could be done quickly... as to
> dimensions of jpg files... that would be a useless piece of info unless I am missing
> something... the rest as far as filename, date, etc as seen in a dir of dos is all
> that is relative. Was offering suggestions and solutions of how to avoid the back
> burner paradigms of average small businesses. Wishing all peace and health *S*

[View Quote]

AW Objects - database?

Apr 7, 2001, 4:10am
BTW sorry about being snappy about linux, it's a nice OS I just think it's a
little over-hyped :)

[View Quote] > Hi All,

> [...]

> even recondition some REALLY old comps and have never physically seen one. I guess having entered PC scene around Pentium 1's early
> days and working my way both forward and backwards through technology didn't cover everything.
[View Quote]

Learn to program bots!

Apr 29, 2001, 12:12pm
Um, you could put sequence numbers on the punch cards and run them thru a collator. But if you DIDN'T, you'd have a helluva time if you
dropped a deck (some decks took boxes and BOXES) because the card reader took em in the order you gave em. And it was fun trying to get
a card reader to READ all the cards...NOT. (Guess it was like a grocery store barcode scanner in a way, got flukey after a while.)

I DESPERATELY NEED YOUR HELP!

Apr 19, 2001, 6:09am
Um ya if you leave Napster up 24/7 they'd also get pissed. :)

[View Quote] > No duh Builderz, of corse they want more money for people that are running servers,
> but still even if they are using more bandwith why should they be doing that, its the same
> if someone has cabel and leaves napster on 24/7 its basicaly the same thing. Bet they dont get napster users
> about that >:-) You people act like I dont know anything. WHATS WRONG WITH YOU especaly the people
> from StuffX and there stuff you guys have problems, one question How many of "your" bots do you sell
> Or how about how many worlds do you host? Do you even sell anything?
> Who would bother? Cuz I know me and J B E L L would never use your stuff
> cuz it sucks.
>
> ~ TrekkerX
>
> trekkerx.8m.com

[View Quote]

I DESPERATELY NEED YOUR HELP!

Apr 19, 2001, 11:25am
You go! I'm the same way, if my line isn't full I download some damn PORN, baybee :)

[View Quote] > If I pay $40 a month for constant 200kbps, by god I'm going to use it ALL
[View Quote]

Re: Worlds not showing on list

Mar 5, 2001, 9:49pm
Good thoughts.

[View Quote] > The system today just isn't up to the number of worlds running now. Whether
> the world list is broken or not I find rather academic, but world owner feel
> cheated by their worlds not showing on the list. Now its not such a big deal
> since its empty and closed worlds which are dropped from the list (and you
> can still teleport to them). But sooner or later this won't be enough and
> more and more worlds will go into involuntary "stealth mode". A much more
> interesting discussion would be how to solve this.
>
> Personally I find the world list much too long, I would prefer a list of my
> own choice (like the Contacts list). A full list of all worlds could then be
> there in addition, but updated much slower to to lessen the burden on the
> universe server. Maybe this isn't practical either, but giving ideas to the
> developers may help them in finding workable solution or spark other ideas.
>
> HenrikG

I DESPERATELY NEED YOUR HELP!

Apr 19, 2001, 6:09am
Um ya if you leave Napster up 24/7 they'd also get pissed. :)

[View Quote] > No duh Builderz, of corse they want more money for people that are running servers,
> but still even if they are using more bandwith why should they be doing that, its the same
> if someone has cabel and leaves napster on 24/7 its basicaly the same thing. Bet they dont get napster users
> about that >:-) You people act like I dont know anything. WHATS WRONG WITH YOU especaly the people
> from StuffX and there stuff you guys have problems, one question How many of "your" bots do you sell
> Or how about how many worlds do you host? Do you even sell anything?
> Who would bother? Cuz I know me and J B E L L would never use your stuff
> cuz it sucks.
>
> ~ TrekkerX
>
> trekkerx.8m.com

[View Quote]