er, not quote, Roland... (Community)

er, not quote, Roland... // Community

1  2  |

eep

Feb 25, 2001, 3:44pm
From http://activeworlds.com/help/aw31/avatars.html:

"Avatars are the visual representations of people who are currently inhabiting the Active Worlds virtual environment. Wherever you see an avatar, there is another person using Active Worlds just like yourself."

Bots are avatars that aren't necessarily another REAL person ("just like yourself"--also an incorrect statement since we're all not EXACTLY the same!).

rolu

Feb 25, 2001, 5:00pm
[View Quote] the "just like yourself" part goes with "using", not with "another person",
and (assuming you are not talking about a bot) since both of you are using
aw this is can be seen as correct. Of course you *can* argue that the other
person probably isn't using it exactly the way you do.

rolu

eep

Feb 25, 2001, 5:25pm
But that's just it, Rolu, I AM talking about bots, which Roland (or whoever cluelessly wrote AW's help) didn't (and perhaps still doesn't) understand.

[View Quote] [View Quote]

wing

Feb 25, 2001, 6:18pm
Well, to correct those errors, it would say somthing like
"Avatars are the visual representations of people and computer programs
called bots, who are currently inhabiting the Active Worlds virtual
environment. Wherever you see an avatar, there is most likely another person
using Active Worlds similar to yourself."
If you ask me, that sounds purely cheezy and is probably too complex for the
newbie cits that can't even move yet (Seems more tourists know how to move,
build, etc. than cits now that Juno has dumped everyone on us)

--
Wing
This little spot is dedicated to my girl, Jessie.
bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]

captain mad mike

Feb 25, 2001, 7:15pm
Gah, leave it to eep.

--
-CMM

I think they left bots out of the equation to make it easier for new users
to understand. This is a relatively minor problem, what's the point in
bringing it up in the newgroup?

:)
SW Chris

[View Quote]

eep

Feb 25, 2001, 9:06pm
Because I can. I notice things like this...little things...(things that make us go--oh, wait, that's not it)...that most people miss. <shrug>

[View Quote] > I think they left bots out of the equation to make it easier for new users
> to understand. This is a relatively minor problem, what's the point in
> bringing it up in the newgroup?

[View Quote]

eep

Feb 25, 2001, 9:09pm
Uh, cheesy? Since when is the truth cheesy? I think lies are cheesier. Simply mention bots and add a link to it. <shrug> If anything it'll make new users MORE interested in AW and what it can do than by making them feel stupid.

[View Quote] > Well, to correct those errors, it would say somthing like
> "Avatars are the visual representations of people and computer programs
> called bots, who are currently inhabiting the Active Worlds virtual
> environment. Wherever you see an avatar, there is most likely another person
> using Active Worlds similar to yourself."
> If you ask me, that sounds purely cheezy and is probably too complex for the
> newbie cits that can't even move yet (Seems more tourists know how to move,
> build, etc. than cits now that Juno has dumped everyone on us)

[View Quote]

casay

Feb 25, 2001, 10:06pm
Jeese, this is coming from you????? "...what's the point in bringing it up
in the newsgroup?" At least it's AW related unlike the majority of your
posts.
Casay

[View Quote]

syntax

Feb 25, 2001, 10:36pm
LOL Eep, ever been to AWGZ and looked at the PCDJ advertisement description
box? It says "Don't just play. Mix! Click here to dowmload PCDJ"
"dowmload"
Now if that isn't unprofessional, I don't know what is. ;-)
Also, the scary this is that this small error has not been seen since the ad
was posted on November 4th, 1999!
--
Syntax
syntax at earthcorp.com
www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

sw comit

Feb 25, 2001, 11:10pm
*rolls eyes towards AWCom* that would be embarrassing...
--
SW Comit
swcomit at swcity.net
Mayor of SW City
http://www.swcity.net
President of Community Linkage Commission
http://comlinkage.tripod.com

k y l e

Feb 25, 2001, 11:49pm
[View Quote] Huh? Could you please quote what you're refferring to?

syntax

Feb 25, 2001, 11:58pm
Uhh, read it again partner.
--
Syntax
syntax at earthcorp.com
www.swcity.net

Well who are you? Do I know you? This is the first time I've seen you
around.

:)
SW Chris
[View Quote]

casay

Feb 26, 2001, 2:03am
Just an AW citizen. Prolly a newbie huh? ;-)
Casay

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------BCFA9E51C6DDB2EB2C18978B

Welcome to the AW newsgroups, Casay

casay schrieb:

> Just an AW citizen. Prolly a newbie huh? ;-)
> Casay
[View Quote] begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------BCFA9E51C6DDB2EB2C18978B--

casay

Feb 26, 2001, 2:37am
Thanks, maybe I'll learn how all this works huh? *aspires to make objects*
;-)
Casay

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------40C487853EDDEEA853314870

You could try to use rwmodeler (http://www.rwmodeler.com) for that, it's
a time limited free beta.
And if you want convert stuff or make avatars or animation sequences for
avatars you will sure need AccuTrans. It's only 20$
(http://www.micromouse.ca - it's the new URL).

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------40C487853EDDEEA853314870--

casay

Feb 26, 2001, 4:12am
AccuTrans sounds like a great program. I'll have to try it out. Thanks for
sharing the info ;-)
Hugz!!
Casay
[View Quote]

daphne

Feb 26, 2001, 4:28am
LOL... Keep 'em going, Casay... Let "them" tell "you" about AccuTrans (and
object making), sit back and see how much of what you gave to AW ppl about
AccuTrans they actually soaked up... Of course, you might find out you
have to start all over again for the ppl that missed the huge amount of
AccuTrans info you have gleaned and shared with all over the years...

(Guess we can start on an inworld tutorial on AccuTrans next, huh???) *G*

*hugs*
Daphne

[View Quote]

casay

Feb 26, 2001, 7:25am
SW Chris was the one that asked who I was. Ananas was just playing along
;-) Ananas has done a lot for AccuTrans too :-)
Another tutorial??? *have to finish this one first.. * lol
Casay

[View Quote]

nornny

Feb 26, 2001, 9:49am
lol, rub it in Casay. :)

But in case you're really wondering who Casay is, Casay is a long time
newsgroup poster and the wonderful manager of the Objects D'AW, the world
AND the website, I believe. :) Also an avid supporter of Accutrans and
Modeler if you didn't notice.

Nornny

[View Quote]

young phalpha

Feb 26, 2001, 3:27pm
Uhhh... Eep, I think I sent a good size kindly email to Roland with like
7-10 thinks that should be updated that he forgot. So don't think you can
notice things other people can't. :)

- YP

[View Quote]

young phalpha

Feb 26, 2001, 5:08pm
Typos in that, thinks = things, I think should be removed :)

- YP :)

[View Quote]

myrth

Feb 26, 2001, 7:45pm
wouldn't it make more sense to e-mail Facter, the webmaster?

-Myrth

[View Quote]

eep

Feb 26, 2001, 8:53pm
Kid, I've been in AW longer than you and I'm sure finding bugs in software longer than you too (since 1992), so pipe down before you get put in your place...again.

[View Quote] > Uhhh... Eep, I think I sent a good size kindly email to Roland with like
> 7-10 thinks that should be updated that he forgot. So don't think you can
> notice things other people can't. :)

[View Quote]

young phalpha

Feb 26, 2001, 10:44pm
Well, the page source did have the META Author set to Roland on many of the
pages, and most of the problems/typos/need change things were fixed that day
:)

[View Quote]

young phalpha

Feb 26, 2001, 10:52pm
LOL... Not like I said I was better than you or anything but don't brag
about "Since 1992" because experience doesn't mean much to me :) What you
can acttually do is what matters. I know you can do many things better than
me but you dis Roland's programming all the time, and if I am correct, you
don't know how to, or you are not on Roland's level. Also, AW is not your
program therefore you waste alot of time telling how AW should be. Not
everyone is an Eep and likes everything Eep likes. So maybe you should be
"put in your place". I would put you on Filter but your posts are too funny
and ensures I don't get cancer since its said laughing helps prevent it. :)

- YP

[View Quote]

nornny

Feb 26, 2001, 11:58pm
[View Quote] Experience doesn't matter?? Apparently so if you think that.

>What you
> can acttually do is what matters. I know you can do many things better
than
> me but you dis Roland's programming all the time, and if I am correct, you
> don't know how to, or you are not on Roland's level.

I believe you're mistaken. Eep has full knowledge of how things run in AW,
inside and out. And it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to fix some of
the things that Eep points out. I mean, even I could've fixed the page for
Roland, and I'm pretty sure Eep can also. Why I don't do it? Because it
doesn't bug me as much, but its nice to know that its there and Eep pointed
it out.

>Also, AW is not your
> program therefore you waste alot of time telling how AW should be.

AW wasn't made for Roland, it was made BY Roland (well, partially made and
maintained by Roland, I can't lose props to the reast of the AWCOMers) for
the internet public. Eep can waste as much of his time "complaining", which
I don't believe he does most of the time.

>Not
> everyone is an Eep and likes everything Eep likes.

No, but whatever we or AWCOM doesn't like doesn't get done. Eep understands
that, I hope. It's quite simple. We kept Eep here because we like what Eep
likes however, in a general sense of his perfection attitude.

>So maybe you should be
> "put in your place". I would put you on Filter but your posts are too
funny
> and ensures I don't get cancer since its said laughing helps prevent it.
:)

I believe you need to be put in your place also YP. :) I don't think Eep
will be as civil towards you, and I don't think he has to be. You'll be
sucking his filter in no time, unfortunately. :/ Just because you email
Roland and Eep emails the public makes no difference. Roland barely reads
bug reports through emails anyways. At least Eep is reaching a captivating
audience. :)

Nornny

> - YP

[View Quote]