After Talking to AW about lost web site images (General Discussion)

After Talking to AW about lost web site images // General Discussion

1  |

bro

Apr 16, 2003, 4:15pm
AW stated to me on the phone that regretted the loss of images due
to ver 3.4 but there was no design to do that it was just part of
the way 3.4 is written. I ask them post a list of sites that no
longer worked and explain in detail the reason they didn't. The cost
of staying in AW gets to be more and more.Perhaps AW will give each
cit 20 meg or so ? Wish list maybe?

carlbanks

Apr 16, 2003, 4:20pm
20 megs won't work. A million cits+20 megs each= You do the math.

[View Quote]

the joker ss

Apr 16, 2003, 4:29pm
lol at million

bro

Apr 16, 2003, 4:35pm
You think there is million? How come I keep running into same
people all the time? AW in it's hay day never had a million paying
citzens that I know of.

You need to learn addition...

[View Quote] There's, at most, 2000 active citizen accounts. Not everyone will use the space
either. Even 10 megs would cover the problem.

--Bowen--

e n z o

Apr 16, 2003, 5:47pm
The reason for this behaviour is, that, starting with 3.4, the AW
browser shows a referrer like: "aw://64.94.241.250:5670/aw"
(aw://host:port/islandname), while the clients up to version 3.3 showed
no referrer. In this regard, the behaviour is not a bug, but an
intended behaviour following standards.

Now, the companies who do not allow "remote loading" (eg. Geocities and
Lycos) check for the referrer and allow a picture to display only when
the referrer starts in the same vincinity as the website itself or there
is no referrer (probably to allow for email useage, since normally, even
this had to be blocked). The new transmitted referrer does not satisfy
those conditions, not to speak about the non-standard protocol type
"aw://" (which could be, apart from the above mentioned, another
condition, when those websites check for a http protocol address).

The browser identification itself (here: "ActiveWorlds/version (build)",
eg. "ActiveWorlds/3.40 (449)" does not play a big role anyway, since
serious applications would not check the presented name due to the
multiple methods of forging it (instead, they would test for the
reaction on specific methods, still not bullet-proof, but more
advanced).

[View Quote]

sk8man 1

Apr 16, 2003, 6:14pm
Like I said in the post below:

http://awtaz.net/p.php

You can use that as a picture redirection url, instructions are on the page.

[View Quote]

stecloud

Apr 16, 2003, 6:32pm
Shouldn't that be a "million" cits * 20 megs. Unless you want the 20 to be
divided between the lot of us, if so then I don't think its too far from
implementable :)

[View Quote]

defiance

Apr 16, 2003, 7:29pm
It works with sounds as well.

[View Quote]

kf

Apr 16, 2003, 7:41pm
In this regard, the behaviour is not a bug, but an intended behaviour
following standards.
<<<

and later...

The new transmitted referrer does not satisfy those conditions, not to
speak about the non-standard protocol type "aw://"
<<<

You sound quite like a politican. :-)

[View Quote]

bro

Apr 16, 2003, 9:28pm
Thank you for clearing that up for us. IT helps people to understand
the reasons and reasoning for the change.

Now how about the cost of server space that AW can give to
citizens for their use? Would it make more sense to use AW for
image storage than some other server? After all using the redirect
will add more in each image action than before. Isn't that right that
cells will fill up quicker the longer the action command?

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Apr 16, 2003, 9:36pm
Still, that means everyone has to update their builds.

And what if awtaz.net ever goes down? All the builds old have to be
updated all over again...

Just another reminder that you can't really rely on any hosting except
the one that you have bought and set up yourself :¬)

"defiance" <Defiance at micro$oft.com> wrote this
(news:3e9dbd2b at server1.Activeworlds.com) in general.discussion on 16 Apr
2003:

> It works with sounds as well.

[View Quote]

sk8man 1

Apr 16, 2003, 11:35pm
See your point (and Bro's in the post up there) lol... I guess it would
waste cell space, and you would still have to update your builds. Also I
doubt AWTaz.net is going anywhere anytime soon {:o). I guess someone could
create a bot that edits all the objects with create picture. BTW, I think
uploading pictures to an OP works also, but the OP owner would have to give
you their pass X_X. The referral url is a temporary replacement I guess.
Tourists can use it, and cits can use it too. Hopefully if you're a serious
builder you could upload the pics to your OP or to a website you own.