Recommendation for mail client? (General Discussion)

Recommendation for mail client? // General Discussion

Hey, just wondering if anyone can recommend a good mail client for Win32
(CYGWIN will do too), as I'm tired of OE not working anymore, and as MS has
integrated it into the system I can't reinstall it properly either. It
doesn't really need a GUI if it's got a *good* command-line type shell
interface (such as PINE on UNIX).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :-))

"kah" <kah at kahnews.cjb.net> wrote in
news:Xns9333BC5C5D4D5kahatkahnewsdotcjbdo at 64.94.241.201:

Forgot to mention, it'll need to support POP3 (some only support IMAP) as
that's what my mail scanner scans.

[View Quote] Eudora.

Netscape 7. Not only do you get a working email client, but you also get
a better web browser. ;D

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Converting the Horde, one M$ toadie at a time
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

maki

Mar 3, 2003, 6:48pm
ewwww. lots of compatibility issues too. :)

maki

Apparently "better" is in the eye of the beholder. :P

Chris

[View Quote]

andras

Mar 3, 2003, 8:55pm
[View Quote] Go for the latest mozilla build. I use 1.3b beta which has some spam detection built in too. Be careful with the web composing/posting though it seems broken.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

[View Quote] Mozilla 0wnz netscape. ;)

--Bowen--

shred

Mar 3, 2003, 10:36pm
You and your brand loyalty.

http://www.mozilla.org

As Goob said, though, the e-mail client and browser are vastly superior to Internet Entrails.

[View Quote]

shred

Mar 3, 2003, 10:44pm
You mean because Mozilla and other browsers tend to stick more closely to HTML standards while Microsoft basically invents their own language? They create browser specific code to purposely discourage the use of other browsers. Those are the "compatibility" issues that you refer to.

If you have any illusions to the otherwise, then you might find this of interest:

http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2003/02/14/

[View Quote]

brant

Mar 3, 2003, 10:48pm
PocoMail is by far the best mail client there is. Go download it at
www.pocomail.com.

It lets you set up filters to screen out or sort just about anything, it
hasn't crashed for me in two years, it has an extremely intuitive interface
to find mail by a certain subject, date, or so on, and it can store its user
data on a network drive so that users of different identities don't always
have to use the same computer when logging in to read the same mail.

Because it doesn't work the way Outlook does, there aren't a lot of security
problems with it. Heck, if you use the feature, you can even set up
templates for how to display and print your mail! Most Email programs like
Netscape and Microsoft's software are oversimplified for newbies, but
PocoMail is written for someone who knows how to use a computer.

I wouldn't recommend anything else, especially to someone like you who knows
what he's doing, and I'm certainly not going to use Outlook again.

-Brant

[View Quote]

maki

Mar 3, 2003, 11:20pm
hehe, that's pretty funny. from looking at the forums on opera's website it
seems many, many websites aren't compatible or even block the opera browser,
I've never seen a website that blocks IE users - unless maybe it's some
rebellious opera user, which I have also never seen. :)

if all these websites seem to block opera browser when you can use IE and
have just as well a visit, why waste your time emailing the site owners and
standing up for a browser just to view a website? seems kind of stupid when
I just open IE and can visit anywhere without a problem. :) maybe it's
'smaller and faster' but with computers today, I don't think a few megabytes
of space is going to hurt you. IE loads just fine and fast for me. *shrug*
my own opinion though, I have nothing against microsoft like many do.

maki

"maki" <maki at awmaki.com> wrote in
news:3e63ff41$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> hehe, that's pretty funny. from looking at the forums on opera's
> website it seems many, many websites aren't compatible or even block
> the opera browser, I've never seen a website that blocks IE users -
> unless maybe it's some rebellious opera user, which I have also never
> seen. :)
>
> if all these websites seem to block opera browser when you can use IE
> and have just as well a visit, why waste your time emailing the site
> owners and standing up for a browser just to view a website? seems
> kind of stupid when I just open IE and can visit anywhere without a
> problem. :) maybe it's 'smaller and faster' but with computers today,
> I don't think a few megabytes of space is going to hurt you. IE loads
> just fine and fast for me. *shrug* my own opinion though, I have
> nothing against microsoft like many do.

No, it's not a compatibility issue. NS7 supports HTML 4.01 and XHTML
perfectly. That it doesn't happen to support MS's own mutant HTML version
is just as well in my view. IE loads fine for me too, but I still use NS7
because I feel like using quality software and not some insecure piece of
junk.

If they block users running non-IE browsers they're very stupid. If a site
doesn't work right for me in NS, I just won't visit it, too bad for the
site owner. Especially if it's a commercial site that'll want to sell me
something.

PS: Goober, what browser do you think I've used the last five years? :-D

Glad to know I have an ally against the ignorant masses! ;D

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Massively ignorant
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

Agreed, Eudora is very good.

Although NetScape is an acceptable AllInOne solution, Eudora has
some major advantages as it supports multiple accounts better than
netscape mail, including webmail.

What I like better in NetScape is the combination mail/news, that's
why I neither use eudora nor fagent. I think mail and news are so
close related that they should not have 2 separate programs.

[View Quote]

agent1

Mar 4, 2003, 4:36pm
[View Quote] Actually, it's the literal opposite... Netscape provides funding for Mozilla, and they use the results in their browser. Mozilla is a "testing only" thing where Netscape is meant for end users.

-Agent1

kit

Mar 4, 2003, 6:20pm
Hiya :o)

Another ally here too Goober. Ive been using Netscape and its products since
about 1995. Netscape Communicator is offered for 17 platforms, including Windows
95, Windows 3.1, Windows NT, Mac OS, OS/2, and a variety of Unix platforms. The
product is available in Standard and Professional Editions and more than ten
languages. In addition, Netscape software supports Internet standards
(including Java, JavaScript, HTML, HTTP, IIOP, IMAP4, LDAP, NNTP, POP3, and
SMTP) and security standards such as SSL (no virus's here :o)). It seems to have
a few problems with ASP at the moment but I can easily deal with that.
I wouldn't have my mail or news reader in any other format.

Regards,
Kit

[View Quote] > Glad to know I have an ally against the ignorant masses! ;D

[View Quote] That doesn't really mean anything, since the fact that this is opinion based what I
say has no "literal opposite" unless I had an anti-Bowen.

Actually, it sounds to me like you're still using the old Netscape (they
don't call it "Communicator" anymore). I would suggest you upgrade to NS
7, as it's far superior than any of its predecessors. :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
The resistance is growing...
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

It does if you take it in the literal sense, hence "literal opposite".
Netscape does actually "own" Mozilla, since that's where Mozilla gets
its funding from.

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Reading Comprehension strikes again!
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

lady barbara

Mar 4, 2003, 7:39pm
I'm still using OE with Win98SE and am having no trouble at all with it!
(Knock Wood!)

Lady Barbara of Amberlin

[View Quote] And Mozilla owns Netscape, it's a loop of ownage. Unless it's now referred to as
Netscape compatible.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:0.9.4.1) Gecko/2002,
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1),
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98; Win 9x 4.90);

Nope, still Mozilla's code apparently.

--Bowen--

just in

Mar 5, 2003, 6:41am
I used Pegasus for a looong time and found it great, until I found that OE
could also download newsgroup postings and download hotmail direct all with
the one button.

Regards, Justin