3.3 features (General Discussion)

3.3 features // General Discussion

1  |

shred no@1.invalid

Nov 23, 2001, 11:31pm
Taken from tonight's tech-talk. It should be noted that Roland was offline
through the entirety of this.

Roland: the feature list for 3.3 is getting kinda scary and long...
Roland: ok, 3.3 features then
Roland: so far, we have:

Roland: * contact list improvements, including custom privacy settings per
contact and the ability to hide online/offline status, block telegrams and
go into "AFK" mode

Roland: * slide detection - meaning, if you hit a wall you slide along it
instead of stopping cold

Roland: * DirectX8 support...which brings a big performance
improvement...about 30 to 50% frame rate increase on older cards, up to 100%
frame rate increase on new cards like the Geforce

Roland: ok, that's stuff that's already been done, more or less

Roland: * skinned avatars

Roland: * terrain

Roland: * ability to rotate objects in all 3 directions (but not in worlds
with registries)

lanezeri

Nov 24, 2001, 1:26am
Miracles never cease! The three most wanted features (IMO): AFK Mode,
Privacy Settings, Telegram Blocks.

--

Thanks,
Ricky Lipe

Degtur Solutions at http://www.degtur.com
Stuff-X at http://www.stuff-x.com

[View Quote]

shred no@1.invalid

Nov 24, 2001, 1:34am
[View Quote] Yep! I'm personally looking forward to the framerate boost.

nornny11

Nov 24, 2001, 12:31pm
Wooo, finally, some good things. :) The program itself is finally shaping
up. I hope 3.4 or 4.0 gets some good building enhancements, rotation on all
3 planes is wonderful! Too bad it's only in worlds without registries,
doesn't that mean the AWC worlds can't rotate?

I'm liking the slide detection too. hehe. Christmas time in AW must be a
hootenanny with all the frost.

Nornny

[View Quote]

brant

Nov 24, 2001, 1:22pm
It's interesting how many of the most requested features have to do
with AW's security, which is sorely lacking. Right now, it's VERY
difficult to actually ban someone from a world or the universe, with
dynamic IP addresses and no way to revoke rights in a world.

Personally, I would have liked to see the world rights lists put into
a database format in 3.3. A way to eject a certain citizen is sorely
needed. PPW security, where the owner simply chooses who is allowed
to access a certain citizen's rights instead of having to use a
password, would also be a plus.

[View Quote]

shred no@1.invalid

Nov 24, 2001, 2:12pm
[View Quote] Indeed, but they can only do so much at a time. The 3.3 features have given
me some new hope... perhaps in 3.4/4.0 they will include new security
features.

Really some good improvements :)

Building inspector just wrote :

> I was sick when we had trigonometry at school, sorry

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

Did I miss "Scale", that goes hand in hand with X/Z rotation?

I guess the rotating feature required a new cell database
and it would be a good idea, to have the scaling value at
least already in the database, even if it was not used yet.
One of the famous "FFE" implementations - easy to add
and less trouble later with upgrades of world servers.

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

Hehee... he said hootenanny. *grin*

SW Chris

You mean banning by citizen number instead of ip address? Sounds great.

Chris

[View Quote]

shred no@1.invalid

Nov 25, 2001, 6:13pm
[View Quote] .... or both. Just some more configurable options would be nice.

captain mad mike

Nov 28, 2001, 6:45pm
Welp at least its getting somewhere. The two things I'd like to see:
1) 3-plane rotation WITH registries
2) Fixed move/rotate commands so they DON'T encroach.

Then i'll be überhappy (alt + 0252 me)
Now just to install a refrigderation system on my processor and video card
:-D NO MORE FANS FOR ME! Only the hum of the compressor :-D

--
Captain MAD Mike
-Governor, PC Addict, Odd Man

[View Quote]

syntax

Nov 28, 2001, 10:30pm
Ahhh my face! O_O
--
- Syntax -
http://swcity.net

[View Quote]

the derek

Nov 30, 2001, 1:40am
to ban someone from your world replace the digits after the last period with
0
[View Quote]

agent1

Nov 30, 2001, 12:41pm
That doesn't do anything if they are assigned to a different subnet on re-connection. That may even block the wrong IP address -- is xxx.xxx.xxx.0 a valid IP address?

data21

Dec 6, 2001, 8:52am
that would have a bad effect if you ban a tourist lol

[View Quote]

foxmccloud

Dec 6, 2001, 10:14am
Well I don't understand why tourists don't have numbers anyway.
Why wouldn't they need to register (for free) like everyone? that would have solved a lot of problems. Sure, they could create a new
registration when they're banned, but still...
Anyway this isn't going to change now, it's too late.

Fox Mc Cloud

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> a écrit dans le message news: 3c0f4de0 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> that would have a bad effect if you ban a tourist lol

the derek

Dec 9, 2001, 2:03am
well its worked for me and thats how aw tells you to do it. i think u always
have the same first 3 sets of numbers. it would only block people using
those 3 numbers. about 1 chance in a million youll ban someone else that
uses aw
[View Quote]

brandon

Dec 9, 2001, 2:13am
he MEANS xxx.xxx.000

[View Quote]

foxmccloud

Dec 9, 2001, 2:16am
an IP address is 4 numbers (each having a value of 0-255)...
(I guess it was just a typo :) )

Fox Mc Cloud