bring back the create light color=black (Wishlist)

bring back the create light color=black // Wishlist

1  |

dlp anne

May 9, 2003, 4:17am
I remember back in ether version 3.0 or 3.1 you could do create light
color=black and it would project blackness on all nearby objects or dim the
lighting on them by adding a real low brightness to it.
I thought that was cool for use in caves and other dark areas.
Why was it taken away?

[View Quote] It's no longer supported in RenderWare. I'm sure it could be reproduced
without using direct RenderWare calls.

dlp anne

May 9, 2003, 4:26am
You can have black used as a color and for the world lighting colors and fog
color though.

[View Quote] I guess those are treated differently. I don't understand it either,
just use a color that's "almost" black. Like #000001.

john

May 9, 2003, 6:56am
DLP, lighting came with 3.3 :-O

you have never been able to do create light color=black to my knowlege.

[View Quote]

defiance

May 9, 2003, 8:56am
You mean corona.

[View Quote]

dlp anne

May 9, 2003, 9:37am
Lighting came out in 3.0 or 3.1 I'm pretty sure it was 3.0 cause I do
remember doing the open beta testing for 3.0 and it had lighting.

"dlp anne" <anne at dreamlandpark.com> wrote in
news:3ebb92dd at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Lighting came out in 3.0 or 3.1 I'm pretty sure it was 3.0 cause I do
> remember doing the open beta testing for 3.0 and it had lighting.

It was 3.1 actually. It is true that light substraction worked during the
beta stages of 3.1, but that it was disabled as RW does not support it
properly. Yet another proof of RW's mediocrity.

KAH

dlp anne

May 9, 2003, 12:26pm
I can't get any shade of black to work for lighting.

[View Quote]

john

May 9, 2003, 1:51pm
OK! Im just dumb :-o... sadly tho i never knew about LIGHTING until 3.3

[View Quote]

tony m

May 9, 2003, 6:29pm
"Create Light" was introduced in 3.1. Remember how everybody grabbed the beta like crazy just to get it?

[View Quote] >Lighting came out in 3.0 or 3.1 I'm pretty sure it was 3.0 cause I do remember doing the open beta testing for 3.0 and it had lighting.

king small guy

May 10, 2003, 3:18pm
I agree to this to this subject but i wasnt here when 3.0 was out lol

technozeus

May 19, 2003, 6:15pm
Actually, it was...
Create light brightness=-1

Create light color=black ...was simply a light that didn't effect anything visually, and that function still behaves the exact same way.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

technozeus

May 19, 2003, 6:17pm
almost black will have almost no effect.

TZ

[View Quote]

dlp anne

May 20, 2003, 2:57am
No shads of black will work for the light command.
The closest to black you can get is a light gray color that kinda looks like
a dim white.

[View Quote]

technozeus

May 22, 2003, 6:29am
Light grey "is" dim white, as far as the light command is concerned.

TZ

[View Quote]

codewarrior

Jul 7, 2003, 4:19am
Wouldn't it better be implemted as:

create dark color=????

:-D

[View Quote]

ubermonkey

Jul 7, 2003, 10:15pm
Either way, the response from AWI is going to be that RW doesn't support it
(to which I reply, isn't it time to get cracking on your own graphics
engine? Or at least start modifying the default RW engine (they do give you
source with that liscense.... right?))

[View Quote]

technozeus

Jul 7, 2003, 10:54pm
Actually, no. A new command for the task shouldn't be needed, since negative brightness numbers in the light command currently are completely unused. It might make sense though to implement suce a command as an antonym, and make both commands support both positive and negative brightnesses, but such that the dark command would read the brightness as it's additive inverse.

TechnoZeus