New Pope (Community)

New Pope // Community

1  |

gnu32

Apr 19, 2005, 4:44pm
Yay for Joseph Ratzinger, Pope Benedict XVI, the newest pope elected 30
minutes ago =D

(Don't ask why it is me who posted this, i was bored)

heretik

Apr 19, 2005, 6:41pm
Thanks Gnu, it is a great day for the Vatican...

[View Quote]

builderz

Apr 20, 2005, 5:48am
If you are so bored, then I'm sure you had the time to read these
articles as well, right?

"New pope served in Hitler Youth but was not a Nazi"
http://in.news.yahoo.com/050419/137/2kugm.html

"Pope choice fulfills ancient prophecy?"
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43887

Being Catholic, I'm both excited and disappointed at the same time.

-Builderz

IMO this guy is going to have serious problems if he stays so hardline, he
can't really expect that everyone will be as he wants them to be, and if he
rants about it, unlike JP2, he has no standing in the younger populus.

He's gonna get fried.

--
- Mark Randall
http://zetech.swehli.com

[View Quote]

gnu32

Apr 20, 2005, 1:33pm
Already knew that, but claming that the Pope was a nazi could be
offensive to some (I know he wasn't a nazi, but you can expect many to
start pointing and say things)

[random]Thing is, why yet again another German pope? Sure John Paul was
polish and Benedict was a close ally of John but they could have chosen
someone unique, A Black Pope would have made things better as it would
get rid of racisim more effectivley than those stupid black and white
bands everyone is wearing that is not doing anything to help (Infact,
people abuse them and say that they support racisim as they are wearing
the bands for the "humor" of it).[/random]
[View Quote]

builderz

Apr 20, 2005, 2:26pm
I don't think he will resign, Strike, but he is 78 years old. I believe
there is a good chance that he will pass away within five to ten years.
I was expecting a younger pope to be picked, though.

-Builderz

All for the glory of political correctness, hm? :P

Chris

[View Quote]

callidus

Apr 20, 2005, 2:59pm
Good points and I think a black or Latin pope might have been beneficial to
the world but I thought the whole point of the process [the choosing of a
new Pope] is that Catholics believe that the Holy Spirit chooses the new
Pope and acts through the Cardinals.

I think its important to mention that the Catholic Church is not a political
party that is deterred by public opinion, nor is the election of a Pope like
a Presidential election where they hold public debates and such - yes many
of the Cardinals have different political views, but just because a Pope may
be conservative doesn't necessarily mean that the entire church will become
conservative.

I have two different feelings about the issue of a more right winged church
(should it become that), one is where I am anxious about several issues such
as condoms eg.. as birth control etc. but on the other hand I am pleased to
see the Church isn't influenced by the public - after all, Catholics follow
the Church, not the other way round.

Initially, there is historical precedence for a Liberal church, the
Protestant Church became more liberal and its current position today is
somewhere between a mess and disfunctional. As much as I would have liked a
Black Pope or someone from South America, it really isn't my choice. As a
Catholic (And now I am going all out preachy here - excuse me) this is what
God has chosen. Maybe its a good choice in that the Western world seems to
have lost all sense of morality - which has been conviently covered by the
veil of "Liberalism".

I wish the new Pope well.

- Callidus

[View Quote]

callidus

Apr 20, 2005, 3:00pm
Very sorry for not cutting my post down!

- Callidus

Its more a matter of how much damage would he cause, I for one am not
religious (although I have certain thoughts on God etc) but I think the
church should have chosen someone who is more likely to have moved on,
started promoting contraception in Africa etc.

--
- Mark Randall
http://zetech.swehli.com

I agree. That was the last thing I had expected to come from you. And
that's a good thing. Very encouraging. Sort of what I was trying to say by
my snappy little comment above. Respect. Kudos. And whatever other
buzzwords that people are using that otherwise convey good feelings and
such. :P

Chris

[View Quote]

tart sugar

Apr 20, 2005, 7:18pm
[View Quote] They purposely picked an older man to be Pope. The most desirable "life
expectancy" for a serving Pope is 5 - 10 years only, as crass as that
sounds. John Paul's reign was almost 30 years. I think his was the 3rd
longest reign in the history of the Papacy.

~TS

callidus

Apr 20, 2005, 8:06pm
Heh. Cheers.
What were you expecting from me - just curious lol?

- Callidus

Oh something witty along the lines of this:

http://www.starwarsfanworks.com/temp/wha.jpg

:P

Chris

[View Quote]

count dracula

May 8, 2005, 1:46pm
Yet another old man to lead the brainless, who cannot think for themsleves.
Dont use a condom, because...yes why? Because some 80 years old bitter guy
who has not gotten much action himslef say so.

They should just join the vatican to Italy, no logic one branch of belivers
need a country of their own. Just doing damage with their concervative ways
of telling ppl how to live their lives. People should use logic and not some
old BS from 2000 years ago in their daily decissions.

"Gnu32" <simplaza at simplaza.net> kirjoitti viestiss
news:4265438e$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Yay for Joseph Ratzinger, Pope Benedict XVI, the newest pope elected 30
> minutes ago =D
>
> (Don't ask why it is me who posted this, i was bored)

bro

May 8, 2005, 3:37pm
Welcome back! You never change. It is bit more complex that some 80
year old man being bitter. Anyway this not the place for such talk."Count
[View Quote]

orb

May 8, 2005, 3:42pm
There's nothing wrong with spirituality. There is even less wrong with
people chosing to be spiritual together and sharing a light, wisdom and
insight. There is power in prayer and it's a proven fact oh 'faithless
one'. You do nothing but criticize and turn things dark anymore.

count dracula

May 9, 2005, 10:24am
I am sorry if I cannot belive in mumble jumble and in greater forces. It
just pisses me off to see people act unlogical in masses.
If standing on a railroad track and a train is aproaching, you can pray as
much as you want, but if YOU do not make the decission to step aside, you
are fu**ed. Seems people think that if they belive in something hard it it
will happen. Unfortunatly things only happen according to what you and other
people and animal choose to do. There is nothing such as faith or
coincidenses. Everything in this world happens for a reason. When throwing a
dice, the result will depend on the force used to throw, drop distance,
angles and friction. No gods or spiritual things has anything to do with it.
I might critizes what I find unlogical, that is my right. Religions has
bitterened my and so many peoples life in the world through history. So many
people has been killed in the name of religions, and still is. I find it
amazing that still in 2005 people have religions; but I guess it only proofs
that mankind is not by far ready for a realistic good life. The day all
people would abandon religions and started to belive in logic, there would
not be any wars or crime anymore. It is a utopi since people are by far not
ready to think by themselves but need religions to forgive them their sins
and guide them in thinking.
Al-Quida, Ku Klux Klan, IRA etc etc, all use religion as an excuse for what
they do; might be its not the real reason, but this show how easy it is to
trick people to do insane things in the name of religion. If your religion
say something is evil, you do not question it, but you act according to how
your leader says. I am basically saying, one do not need a religion to be a
"good" person, on the contrary I belive one cannot be "good" until one
question every belief. No reason to abondon logical good rules. So yes the
Bible say "Thou shall not kill" that is a good rule to follow and its not
unlogical, I do not need to be a christian to realise that. So when if my
country would decide to go to war I would as a christian stand up and say
NO, I cannot support this since its against the word in the bible. Do all
christians in world refuse to kill or support a goverment who declare war?
No, this just show how the basic rules can be twisted in a religion to fit
the purpose. Do not kill suddenly become, yes you can kill if you do it to
bring freedom? *shrug*

So maybe I bring darkness, but rather that than some false hope about
eternal life in paradise. Time for mankind to wake up from the dream and
realise that we live ones, when we close our eyes its over. Live your life
without stupid regulating rules, there is no such thing that your suffering
here will be rewarded afterwards.

"ORB" <SharonClarke at hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestiss
news:427e4187$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> There's nothing wrong with spirituality. There is even less wrong with
> people chosing to be spiritual together and sharing a light, wisdom and
> insight. There is power in prayer and it's a proven fact oh 'faithless
> one'. You do nothing but criticize and turn things dark anymore.

lady nighthawk

May 9, 2005, 2:26pm
I disagree Drac, but I am entitled to my opinion/belief as are you :o} Nice
to see you back, hope you are well.

LNH

vera

May 9, 2005, 2:56pm
And yet you call yourself Count Dracula.......lol........ go figure:)))

[View Quote] > Yet another old man to lead the brainless, who cannot think for themsleves.
> Dont use a condom, because...yes why? Because some 80 years old bitter guy
> who has not gotten much action himslef say so.
>
> They should just join the vatican to Italy, no logic one branch of belivers
> need a country of their own. Just doing damage with their concervative ways
> of telling ppl how to live their lives. People should use logic and not some
> old BS from 2000 years ago in their daily decissions.
>
> "Gnu32" <simplaza at simplaza.net> kirjoitti viestiss
> news:4265438e$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

police

May 10, 2005, 2:45am
On 9 May 2005 07:24:09 -0500, "Count Dracula" <dracula at netsonic.fi>
[View Quote] >I am sorry if I cannot belive in mumble jumble and in greater forces. It
>just pisses me off to see people act unlogical in masses.....

I completely agree with you, Count Dracula.

Police (aka Vips)

"The day all people would abandon religions and started to believe in logic,
there would not be any wars or crime anymore."

Emm, no, not really. Wars and crimes are usually not about religion, but
about greed. greed for power, for money, for whatever. if religion does
anything, quiet a lot of the time, it's a reason not to do those things, not
to sin.
It's like saying what's the point for certain laws, like, speed limits or
whatever, and it's because not everybody has enough common sense to decide
whether or not something is ok or the consequences of their actions.
Religion quiet alot of the time gives people a reason not to steal, kill,
rape, harm people and whatever, and also gives people hope and gives them
reasons to do things to help each other. ya, a person's conscience has alot
to do with that too, but so does religion, and without religion the world
would NOT be a utopia, but thier would just be less restricitions on a
person's conscience.

and yes, sometimes people do things, and use religion as an excuse, but
thats only because they don't acutally follow the religion they're using as
an excuse. So who's the say that the world wouldn't be a better place if
everyone was alittle more religious?

But ya, i agree about questioning. You can't truely believe in something,
unless you question it. You have to question it, and wonder why, otherwise,
you're just following something you don't understand, and that's just the
same as not following anything at all.

-SWE

Wow, man. Very eloquent.