Something Interesting on CNN.com (Community)

Something Interesting on CNN.com // Community

1  |

allen iverson

Jun 3, 2004, 8:17pm
An Article about Online Games like Second Life, and how they make money.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/fun.games/06/03/column.livewire.reut/index.html

kathryn delanuit

Jun 3, 2004, 9:35pm
geeeez don't give AWI any ideas. "Large swathes of undeveloped online
property.....are selling for up to $550 an acre" The day I have to
start paying 100 freaking dollars for a stupid little plot on Alphaworld
or something like that is that day I'm outta here.

[View Quote]

alaskanshadow

Jun 3, 2004, 10:55pm
yeah lol. Thats ones of the only reasons I really saw for staying in AW
instead of going to There or 2nd Life-free land and objects. No limiting of
creativity.

[View Quote]

alexthemartian

Jun 4, 2004, 2:48am
i know other universes of aw that you have to pay for a lot.. it might
sound dumb.. but think of it this way.. it will never be as messy as
alphaworld :P

[View Quote] > An Article about Online Games like Second Life, and how they make money.
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/fun.games/06/03/column.livewire.reut/index.html

lioness.

Jun 4, 2004, 3:31am
I used to be a cit in one of those universes of AW and paid for a plot. You
don't get much space for yer money honey. Talk about BI overload!!! Most of
the builds there were either small houses, small castles or small parks. And
depending on the builds surrounding yours, you could be in some serious lag!
My build was somewhat laggy but the guy next to me had even more! So when
visitors would come to my place, it was worse than trying to walk thru
almost dry cement. Some puters just can't handle that much lag and they shut
down. Some of my friends wouldn't visit my place cus of that and cus its
extremely frustrating to move. Makes aw look VERY appealing compared to
THAT. And compared to the price of registering with Second Life, AW is
cheap when you consider you get all the free land you want and objects too.
;-"D

[View Quote]

count dracula

Jun 4, 2004, 11:53am
And this is only because a universe cost a lot of money, the bigger the
more. AWI do not even tell what a unlimited uni would cost,probably 1-2
millions?

"alexthemartian" <alex at virtual-studios.net> kirjoitti viestiss
news:40bfff32$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> i know other universes of aw that you have to pay for a lot.. it might
> sound dumb.. but think of it this way.. it will never be as messy as
> alphaworld :P

[View Quote]

bluebean

Jun 4, 2004, 12:24pm
Well as far as I'm concerend, I'm already paying AWI 2400 bucks for a stupid
little world. And even every year!
How many acres is a P150 anyway?

Sing along:
Beans Acres is the place to be
Farm livin' is the life for me
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just gimme that countryside

:p

"kathryn delanuit" <me at me.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:40bfb5c2$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> geeeez don't give AWI any ideas. "Large swathes of undeveloped online
> property.....are selling for up to $550 an acre" The day I have to
> start paying 100 freaking dollars for a stupid little plot on Alphaworld
> or something like that is that day I'm outta here.

[View Quote]

ry

Jun 4, 2004, 12:38pm
I am a member of SecondLife.com
And have found that 70% of our new trial users the last couple of days have
been referred from CNN :)
Too bad AW Can't do anything - oh wait, if they did anything that would be a
novelty! nevermind.

--
Ry

ry

Jun 4, 2004, 12:40pm
1-2 million? I would expect more product from AWI if they got 1-2 freakin
million :)

--
Ry
www.zenithblu.net

hyper anthony

Jun 4, 2004, 1:25pm
*pokes enzo and points him in the direction of the news article*

Ever thought about that rick?

[View Quote]

johnf

Jun 4, 2004, 3:18pm
When I asked Flagg a year or two ago, he said $1m

John

[View Quote]

sw comit

Jun 4, 2004, 3:50pm
Reminds me of those lemondade stand jokes...either sell 1000 glasses for 10
cents each, or one glass for 1 thousand dollars =P

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Jun 4, 2004, 5:38pm
But people forget

AW in accessible by all, those on dial up, those with perhaps not to good
vid cards.

Give me aw anyday. I would not wish to go out and upgrade my connection rate
and buy a new vid card just to join a VR community.

AW may not be the most visually best VR program on the market, but anyone
can use it providing they can access the internet.

We may have flame wars, we may have a few headaches even have a few
undesirable people.

But anyone no matter where they are in the world can use activeworlds
programs.

These days I think AW would rather spend the money of making the program
better then spending thousands on a PR job..

[View Quote]

bearblue

Jun 19, 2004, 2:03pm
Say on Wizard!