URGENT NEWS BULITEN FOR ENTIRE ACTIVE WORLDS COMMUNITY (Community)

URGENT NEWS BULITEN FOR ENTIRE ACTIVE WORLDS COMMUNITY // Community

1  2  |

ssl.

Nov 22, 2003, 1:10am
It has come to my attention that there have been massive scale pop up
attacks in the active worlds browser.
Some people suggest it it spyware, or adware
EVERYONE IS URGED TO DOWNLOAD SOME SORT OF SPYWARE/ADWARE DESTROYER
IMMEDIATLY.
This isnt a test or something i did just because i was bored
Ive been bombarded by the same pop up for hours now
it reads

I HATE POP UPS!

Please do not take this lightly.
It appears as though it travels to random users. mainly citizens of aw.
PLEASE YOU ARE ALL URGED TO DOWNLOAD something to protect yourself of pop
ups.

This is NOT a test but a way to alert the people of aw.
The pop up is NOT LIKE OTHERS
it is persistent.
The pop up is about a company trying to sell you a pop up blocker.
SELL...
Rumors are that this is all the fault of the company itself.
much like Telemarketing
You better do something about this E N Z O.
it spreads like a virus.
>.< AND BLOODY ANNOYING.

S.

lara

Nov 22, 2003, 1:20am
Darn...I thought I had hammered all the signs in my OY down well enough. I'll see if I can round them up again. Sowwy. ;)

Lara

[View Quote]

ssl.

Nov 22, 2003, 1:28am
Update: it seems the pop ups are tied with msn messenger/windows messenger
yet just now 9:15 central time i received dual-pop ups....thisCANNOT be
good.

I still urge you all to download some kind of spyware deleter.
NOT spywarenuker..its a cheap trial that doesnt even WORK ( for free)

ssl.

Nov 22, 2003, 2:00am
Second update: THE POP UPS HAVE INCREASED INTO EXPLODE STYLE POP UPS

A MULTITUDE OF POP UPS ARE SHOWING UP SIMUTANEOUSLY ON PEOPLE.

IM BEING BOMBARDED WITH THINGS AND SPYWARE/ADWARE DELETERS DO NOT WORK

lara

Nov 22, 2003, 2:16am
This might be the best place for you to look for help with your problem, ssl. http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

[View Quote]

starfleet

Nov 22, 2003, 2:56am
Uninstall and delete msn messager and windows messager.
[View Quote]

alexthemartian

Nov 22, 2003, 3:06am
well since you mentioned Messenger.. i just want to ask if it look like
this: http://www.lurhq.com/images/popupspam.png?

if so then it is.. i dont fell like explaining, ill just quote a website i
found:

"Messenger Service Popup Advertising

The latest trend is using the messenger service to send pop up advertising
spam to unprotected computers. It's important to note that these messages
have no relation to MSN or Microsoft Messenger. Messenger service is used
via the 'net send' command to send messages between networked computers. If
you don't have network access or use the 'net send' command it's easy to
disable the messenger service and eliminate the popup activity.

----------
Disable Messenger Service
Click Start > Run and type "services.msc" (no quotes) in the Open: line and
click OK
In the right pane, scroll down to Messenger.
Double click Messenger and click the General tab.
Under Service Status: click the Stop button.
In the Startup Type: drop down box, select Disable.
Click Apply and OK.
----------

Another method to rid your system of this annoyance is to block NetBIOS
ports 135, 137, 138. and 139 through the firewall. Each firewall uses a
different method of blocking ports. Consult the firewall documentation or
website for information on the proper procedure"
--quoted directly from
http://www.theeldergeek.com/messenger_service_popups.htm

[View Quote]

builderz

Nov 22, 2003, 4:07am
Download, install, and use the following:

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall
http://www.zonelabs.com

SpywareBlaster

Ad-Aware Free (Standard Edition)

Spybot Search & De story
http://security.kolla.de

And since AW uses IE by default to download things and for Web browsing,
make sure you have the latest IE service packs/hotfixes and check your
cookies and other settings.

Have fun! :)

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

byte me

Nov 22, 2003, 4:07am
If you're running Windows XP, it is an exploit in a program called Windows
Messenger (not related to the popular IM program). That was originally
intended for system administrators to send messages to users. A quick and
easy way to disable this is to visit
It'll teach you how to disable this service. :)
[View Quote]

builderz

Nov 22, 2003, 4:35am
The most likely cause of your pop-ups is the Windows Messenger service
(not to be confused for the MSN Messenger program) if you use Windows
2000 or XP. The main purpose of the messenger service is to send
"messages" (for lack of a better word) to other users on a LAN. For
example, if I wanted to make a pop-up message that says "Hi there"
appear on a computer called Jim, I would go to Start --> Run --> type in
"cmd" (no quotes), and then "net send Jim Hi there" (again, no quotes).
If the computer called Jim is turned on, is connected to my LAN, and has
the messenger service running, the user should be able to see the
pop-up. People can (and do) use this as a "dumbed down" version of
instant messaging.

However, as people like to find new ways to use things (especially to
annoy people or to make money), so-called "messenger spammers" have
surfaced that send unsolicited messages to numerous people. They often
(like in your case) try to promote a product that supposedly stops you
from receiving the very pop-ups they are sending you. I believe the FTC
is trying to crackdown more on this type of activity.

Microsoft has said that in Windows XP Service Pack 2, the Messenger
service will be set to off by default. But since you want to stop your
pop-ups now, here is how to turn off the messenger service:

1. Sign on as an administrator (if you aren't already)
2. Go into the Control Panel (generally Start --> Settings --> Control
Panel)
3. Double-click on Administrative Tools
4. Double-click on Services
5. Scroll down the list of services until you see one marked as "Messenger"
6. If the service is running (which it probably is), left click on it to
highlight it. Then right-click on it and unclick on Stop. It may take a
moment for it to shut down.
7. Right-click on it (while it is still highlighted) and unclick on
Properties
8. Finally, change the Startup type to "Disabled", press Apply, then hit OK

I also recommend that install and use these other programs:

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall
http://www.zonelabs.com

SpywareBlaster

Ad-Aware Free (Standard Edition)

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://security.kolla.de

One last thing: by default, AW uses Internet Explorer as its Web browser
and to download objects, avatars, etc. Double check your IE cookies and
security settings (especially the ActiceX settings).

Have fun!

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

citizen cane

Nov 22, 2003, 9:50am
[View Quote] >It has come to my attention that there have been massive scale pop up
>attacks in the active worlds browser.

[snip lots of stuff about hating pop-ups, but not much useful information]

If you are in fact describing the known exploit on the Windows Messenger Service (although
this exploit has nothing to with the AW browser, and also nothing to do with MSN
Messenger)... visit here for an instant cure:

"In addition to being a security risk, Windows' Messenger Service is being used to Spam
Windows users across the Internet."

http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

Indeed, you might spend a little time looking at the grc.com site in general for
information/fixes for all of these common exploits.

--
CC

john

Nov 22, 2003, 10:19pm
It also affects Win 2K

~John

[View Quote]

jstone2004

Nov 22, 2003, 11:00pm
how does msn messenger have anything to do with AW? o.0 *looks suspiciously
at ssl* you haven't been giving your e-mail address out to just anyone, have
you?

ssl.

Nov 23, 2003, 2:10pm
People, these pop up raids are not connected with windows messenger.
I have those messages disabled from day one

A its not connected with windows messenger

B Aw seems to cause it.

C Spyware deletion downloads DO NOT WORK

D No Jstone, i havent given out my email to anyone.....unless one of YOU
people have set a spam attacks on me via NG's..

E Thank you Buildrez for those 4 links to adware/spyware deletion stuff.

F And for the last time everyone, the pop ups are in no conection with
messenger.

"ssl." <gold at midtech.net> wrote in news:3fbed3a9 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

><<snipped crazy ramblings>>

For god's sake, shut up! Why the hell would AW cause popups? Get a clue
before you start spamming the NGs with all caps screaming.

Take a look at your process list, you probably downloaded some spyware.

KAH

starfleet

Nov 23, 2003, 4:05pm
Your statements are a hoax. It is DEFINITELY caused by MSN messager and
Windows messager.
Immediately delete those programs.

I.D.I.O.T

- MR
[View Quote]

starfleet

Nov 23, 2003, 5:56pm
S.T.F.U.

[View Quote]

ssl.

Nov 23, 2003, 11:38pm
May i remind you both that these ng's arent meant to harass peoples?....and
i DID uninstall msn and it still went on Starfleet.....im not saying it
could be directly aw...may be some stuff m a tt is cooking up
"starfleet" > S.T.F.U.

> "strike rapier" > > I.D.I.O.T

ssl.

Nov 23, 2003, 11:40pm
....im not saying aw deliberatly did it !!........and do you THINK i would
download spyware deliberately?

starfleet

Nov 23, 2003, 11:42pm
Well you have to disable the messager service as well.

[View Quote]

tony m

Nov 24, 2003, 12:53am
Would you please post a screenshot of this "unstoppable popup", so we can once and for all tell you what it really is? :)

[View Quote]

weyoun

"ssl." <gold at midtech.net> wrote in news:3fc1617c at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> ...im not saying aw deliberatly did it !!........and do you THINK i would
> download spyware deliberately?

I understood what you meant, but it's still completely unrelated to AW. Why
on earth would using AW get you popups? Think before you post.

No, I don't think you would download spyware deliberately, although I think
(actually, I'm almost certain) you downloaded it accidentally, or bundled
with something else.

Stop shouting around here, and go and look on your own local setup (in
particular, look at any software that you downloaded recently).

KAH

ssl.

Nov 24, 2003, 11:23pm
Im afraid that the pop up raids have stopped ( thank the lord).......i dont
have any pics i can show you of these attacks...they've seem to have gone,
and i did not do a single thing..

ssl.

Nov 24, 2003, 11:27pm
I dont know Kah, but im not blaming aw directly...
maybe...just some strange thing....some kids are messing with the set up of
aw...i dont mean its source code..but maybe dwelling inside the community
like a virus and attaching a registry code into the Reg...Im not so sure
about this..this is what it might be nor how could they..

<<<END-THREAD>>> Do not reply anymore..its large enough as it is...and its
useless now that its gone.

zeofatex

Nov 24, 2003, 11:27pm
They'll come back... trust me. They did the same thing for me. I had to turn
off the stupid ass messenger because it was such a pain in the ass.

[View Quote]

jstone2004

Nov 25, 2003, 12:04am
search for a .exe file named Gator.exe, GameChannel.exe, or Save.exe, they
are all a very annoying program which sounds like what you described :P oh,
and if you have morpheus or Kazaa up, they will send popups too :P

ssl.

Nov 25, 2003, 1:06am
I thought i said no more replies..oh well..lol

Checked..and on top of that my 2nd firewall would have detected new exe's
wanting access to the internet.

And i used to have kazzaa.. uninstalled as soon as i heard Microsoft sued
it.

now..End of post!! <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
[View Quote]

paul

Nov 25, 2003, 3:10am
A lot of people go around downloading screen savers and Theme files and
some of these install ad ware/registry entries. A friend of mine on ICQ
just went through this and started getting popup add every time she open IE
no matter that the web sties she went to didn't have popup ads. Just the
fact that she opened IE after installing the Windows Themes she had
downloaded and installed put some ad ware on her systems and she had to
unistall the themes (and guess what, the uninstaller didn't work so had to
uninstall the stuff manually) and then run a Spybot S&D scan and AdAware
scan to get rid of the ad garbage and registry entries.
All that hassle for some pretty pictures.

Paul