they crossed the line. (Community)

they crossed the line. // Community

1  2  3  |

iggythealleycat

Jul 1, 2003, 1:36am
in article 3f01003d at server1.Activeworlds.com, shred at shred at myrealbox.com
wrote on 7/1/03 6:30 AM:

[View Quote] vermin was talking about things that shouldn't be said at the gate.
i was ejected.
i don't see what you don't understand ?!

shred

Jul 1, 2003, 1:51am
[View Quote] I think it's you who isn't understanding. I *never* said that you should have been ejected. All I'm saying (and indeed have been saying for the last three posts...) is that neither should have Vermin. According to the official rules of AWGate, he was well within limits. You were the only one present (so far as I can tell) who had a problem with him. In a situation where only you seem to be having a problem with a user, then it is really not your place to order his or her ejection. Mute him and be done with it.

The reason you were ejected, in case you were wondering, is this:

"IggyTheAlleayCat: those GK's made a sport from ejecting me even when ppl
stalk me I am the one thtat get ejected :/"

The Gatekeepers have been taking a lot of heat recently. People have been coming into AWGate solely to complain about the GKs. Because of this, they've been ejecting anyone who looks like they're going to start ranting to prevent any problems from arising. Note: I am _not_ saying that the Gatekeepers are justified in this regard. I'm just explaining their behavior. Some of you people seem to think that just because I don't totally and instantly agree that the GKs are evil that I must be on the side of the enemy.

count dracula

Jul 1, 2003, 3:24am
LOL.
I just meant one could talk about a world leader without it beeing
political; have they not heard of historical discussion?
On the other hand if chickenbreast is a "bad" word, I guess mentioning
Cleopatra or Mao, must be out of the queastion also.

Drac
bowen <Bowen at andras.net> kirjoitti
viestissä:3f00b2f8$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
[View Quote]

count dracula

Jul 1, 2003, 3:32am
I agree that the ejection of Iggy was wrong. I do not see the insulting part
of jewish people tho anywhere.
I think that black and jewish people these day are somehow in some special
position when it comes to political-correctness.

If I would hit someone white because I do not like him, it would be a fight,
maybe I would get a ticket; if I would hit a black person I would be guilty
of hate-crime and probably do time.
It seems that one is more or less required to only speak bad of Hitler, but
god forbid you to say anything bad about the israeli govermant who has
harassed the palestinian people for ageses.It is automaticly taken as
anti-semitic and that must be the worst thing you can do; so I think some
minorities "ride" on the history these days. They have been badly treaten in
the past so now everyone should not be allowed to say anything bad about
them.

Drac
..duo. <ncommons at comcast.net> kirjoitti
viestissä:3f00ec91$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> He was insulting jewish people and not only did not stop when asked, but
was
> just really nasty. Nastier than I. Also, there is no indication of why
iggy
> was ejected, which is the whole point. Iggy was pointing out that someone
> was being semi-slanderous and not being ejected while the GK was ejecting
> iggy for NO apparent reason and without warning.
[View Quote]

iggythealleycat

Jul 1, 2003, 10:04am
in article 3f011d07 at server1.Activeworlds.com, count dracula at
dracula at netsonic.fi wrote on 7/1/03 8:32 AM:
hello again,
what hearted me the most from vermin's sayings was:

"Vermin2": No he was a fool who attached onto an idea.
"Kevin": GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!
IggyTheAlleayCat: vermin quit that ok take it to aw debate
"Weird": Can you help me tigger
Julionna K: *looks to Kevi and sees him growling and giggles*
"Vermin2": And people followed him because they were weak of mind and
soul.

a. it's debating.
b. this is where the roots of Holocaust denial starts,
no one is realy responsable...
i just read a book layely about a guy who said evry day he has to
unroot baobab small plants so his planet wont turn to dust.
this is the main reason i am posting this.
i had many problems with GK's until now and their cliuge.
but as i said,with that they have croessed my line.
no way i would stay more than 5 minutes if that was the first chat i would
practice here.

> I agree that the ejection of Iggy was wrong. I do not see the insulting part
> of jewish people tho anywhere.
> I think that black and jewish people these day are somehow in some special
> position when it comes to political-correctness.
>
> If I would hit someone white because I do not like him, it would be a fight,
> maybe I would get a ticket; if I would hit a black person I would be guilty
> of hate-crime and probably do time.
> It seems that one is more or less required to only speak bad of Hitler, but
> god forbid you to say anything bad about the israeli govermant who has
> harassed the palestinian people for ageses.It is automaticly taken as
> anti-semitic and that must be the worst thing you can do; so I think some
> minorities "ride" on the history these days. They have been badly treaten in
> the past so now everyone should not be allowed to say anything bad about
> them.
>
> Drac
> .duo. <ncommons at comcast.net> kirjoitti
> viestissä:3f00ec91$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> was
> iggy
> history

binarybud

Jul 1, 2003, 10:45am
not sure on the "plenty of them" but I would tend to agree.

[View Quote]

binarybud

Jul 1, 2003, 10:52am
Are you feeding the flames right now? Explain to us all why you feel the need to chastize me? In public?

[View Quote]

binarybud

Jul 1, 2003, 10:55am
As you yourself would do to those GK's So what is it? A Personal conflict? So leave the GK's as a group out of this and instead lets name some names.....I'm all for cleaning things up....but it's NOT the GK's as a group...... it's a personal thing...some of them do have to go.

[View Quote] No discussions. ;)

count dracula

Jul 1, 2003, 6:51pm
I understood what he said was; people were weak and stupid because the
followed a leader that was wrong.
Always when a country is in depression, it is easy to gain support by
populistic opinions, especially if you find someone to blame for why things
are wrong. Calling Hitler a fool and people who followed him weak, do not
sound as flattering him ,to me, nor as an anti-semitistic opionon.

Drac
iggythealleycat <arnoldlayn2005 at hotmail.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:BB27528F.A61%arnoldlayn2005 at hotmail.com...
> in article 3f011d07 at server1.Activeworlds.com, count dracula at
> dracula at netsonic.fi wrote on 7/1/03 8:32 AM:
> hello again,
> what hearted me the most from vermin's sayings was:
>
> "Vermin2": No he was a fool who attached onto an idea.
> "Kevin": GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!
> IggyTheAlleayCat: vermin quit that ok take it to aw debate
> "Weird": Can you help me tigger
> Julionna K: *looks to Kevi and sees him growling and giggles*
> "Vermin2": And people followed him because they were weak of mind and
> soul.
>
> a. it's debating.
> b. this is where the roots of Holocaust denial starts,
> no one is realy responsable...
> i just read a book layely about a guy who said evry day he has to
> unroot baobab small plants so his planet wont turn to dust.
> this is the main reason i am posting this.
> i had many problems with GK's until now and their cliuge.
> but as i said,with that they have croessed my line.
> no way i would stay more than 5 minutes if that was the first chat i would
> practice here.

part
special
fight,
guilty
but
some
treaten in
but
someone
ejecting
where
why

[View Quote] But no debates. ;)

legion

Jul 1, 2003, 9:13pm
Um, I don't understand... why does Gatekeepers allow these hitler comments
if that's not appropriate for children and other people? I thought these
kind of comments are prohibited by Content Guidelines? I mean, it doesn't
make sense that they would allow any inappropriate comments that are
expressly prohibited by AW Content Guideline. If AW Gatekeepers isn't
enforcing these guidelines in some of cases, that would be a serious issue
that Active Worlds Inc. would have to deal with. Unless, of course, I guess
the welcome message mentioning that content are user-generated suggests that
they can't really enforce rules and regulations that prohibits any offensive
or inappropriate comments. I mean, especially with that the fact AW Gate IS
the gateway, a place where incoming new user come there first and is thus
the place of their first exposure to Active Worlds. Also, will that make it
good impression on some of potential customer that this universe is orderly,
not some kind of anarchy or disorderly world? It doesn't make sense... But
I agree that corruption is inevitable, it can't be prevented from happening
BUT it can be significantly reduced as much as possible. I mean, sure
there'll be new corruption while old corruption is eliminated but we have to
do as much to reduce it but it's obivious it can't be TOTALLY prevented. I
suggest creation or commission of some kind of Internal Affairs Bureau for
Gatekeepers and Peacekeepers but who know? Hehehe :) Any suggestion or
compromise or whatever would be nice anyway.

--
Legion

"I think, therefore I am" - Rene Descartes,
17th-century French philosopher, Earth
[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 1, 2003, 10:42pm
I think that vermin was hinting at slander, saying 'Jew' as if it were a bad
thing. That is clearly against the conduct guidelines.
[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 1, 2003, 10:44pm
That law is what ALLOWS aw and other internet entities to be exempt from
many laws.

Sorry for the one liners, heh heh heh.
[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 1, 2003, 10:56pm
I would say that 5-10 lousy GKs or even possibly more is plenty.
[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 1, 2003, 11:00pm
lol, I would love it :-P

[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 1, 2003, 11:01pm
No, I would never do that. In my world I don't really eject for anything at
all as long as no one is bothered by it. I would make a terrible GK, but I
sure wouldn't eject for no reason.

I prefer not to list the names on the newsgroup.
[View Quote]

shred

Jul 2, 2003, 12:45am
<sigh>

Read carefully:

I said in my _first_ post that the Bill of Rights doesn't apply in AWGate. I was never disagreeing with you there; I thought I made this clear in the last post. Obviously I failed. I simply thought it ironic that someone so obviously opposed to Hitler and fascism would wish for the ejection of another. And I certainly never said anything about your mentioning Digital Millennium Act.

To rephrase again: I know full well that the Bill of Rights does not apply on most Internet mediums. I have never said that it did. If you aren't going to read my posts, then I'm going to stop bothering to reply to yours.

[View Quote]

shred

Jul 2, 2003, 1:06am
I see no evidence in the log that Vermin was attempting to insult the Jewish community. In fact, it seems obvious to me that Vermin is very much opposed to Hitler and the Nazis.

Vermin was:
A) Promoting individualism
B) Calling Hitler a fool

Vermin was not:
A) Insulting the Jews
B) Supporting Hitler

What happened in the log looks like nothing more than a misunderstanding gone out of hand. No one but Iggy thought that Vermin was insulting the Jews or supporting Hitler. Rather than set his sights straight, though, the Gatekeeper on duty solves the problem by ejecting him. Giving the Gatekeeper the benefit of the doubt, it was probably just a mistake. The GKs could avoid these kinds of entanglements if they hesitate just a little longer before they pull the trigger, so that they can get a clear picture of the situation before acting rashly.

[View Quote]

count dracula

Jul 2, 2003, 12:41pm
bowen <Bowen at andras.net> kirjoitti
viestissä:3f01f4f0 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
[View Quote] If someone state something as an opinion or fact, it do not become a debate
unless someone other state and an opionion that is opposite. Example:

-Terrible weather today
-yes

-Terrible waether today
- No, I like rain