question? (Community)

question? // Community

1  2  |

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Feb 12, 2003, 1:09am
Why are ppl spending all this time for a new version of AW when there seems
to be nothing done about the one we have? If this is the way its done then
we will never have one that doesn't have problems? just wondering :-)

ihnk

Feb 12, 2003, 1:15am
if your refering to NewAw the name is misleading.... NewAw is NOT a now aw.
just like how a shoehorn isnt a horn... its a brand new concept apart from
aw. the only thing similar is that you can fly. other than that its
completely diffrent

[View Quote]

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Feb 12, 2003, 1:19am
oh yes I know that im talking about the aw version we have and from
all I have heard the NewAW is just like OW been there didn't like the
virtual money we have ppl who are too high of pixelpower now LOL if you
add money to that whew no way im going to be a part of that

[View Quote]

yanst

Feb 12, 2003, 2:11am
Virtual money doesn't interest me much either, but who knows, I might change
my mind later if other things about are appealing.

[View Quote]

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Feb 12, 2003, 2:20am
well you might have a point there :-)

wizard myrddin

Feb 12, 2003, 6:29am
All this does is to make other public worlds even more empty then they are
becoming, once the lure of increasing the status of the person in introduced
into the equations the divisions appear. A two tier activeworlds.

As you have said in aw their is some that "Pixel Power" seems to install in
them some demented concept of being better them any other member.

As Factor has said the worlds allready in aw are becomming ghost worlds,
why? no tourists?

The arguments regarding "Porn" and tourists is the most hole ridden excuse
Ive heard off, You dont stand in judgment of a entier population of people
because of one or two, and a name that anyone can use at that. I think
History has learnt us that. I've seen in alphaworld more porn placed by
members than tourists.

No matter how you look upon there is a rot setting in aw that is driving
people away, once prices went up the customer wanted a better service to be
there, is it there? no I am still waiting for a reponse to a support
question I sent 5 weeks ago.

I was even told by a person in aw.corp (at that time) that the newsgroups
had nothing to do with aw.corp. What kind of bullshit are aw staff trained
to tell people. Nothing like insulting the intelligence.

When prices rocketed people demand service and something better, if you dont
produce it, you lose them. AW3.4 should have been here years ago instead of
waiting for the competition to be banging at the door. or is this some ploy
to run aw into the ground and bankruptcy in order that company debts can be
left with the name, then reapear under yet another name.

I often see as I have mentioned before in other threads people boasting that
a event attracted over XXX people, have a look at see what people, tourists
that's who. Lesson to be learnt here

Its about time aw.inc woke up to the fact unless they take the bull by the
horns its going to be gone as in prevous years people came to aw by word of
mouth and reconmendations from people, and great stories of what you can do
in aw. Not any more as to see any of these great things you have to part
with da money. World owners are been asked to part with money to allow a
tourist in their world, How do tourists know what worlds to visit? ask a
gatekeeper who tells them to go to mauz.info.

I never saw anything on the aw web site that said, In order to tell tourists
you are tourist enabled you must tell Mauz (no offence Mauz)

All this should be on the AW.Inc web site if they could afford a web
designer.

If a apple has a roten part you cut it out, not let it grow till the total
apple has rotted.

[View Quote]

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Feb 12, 2003, 9:36am
trained staff??? explain this?

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Feb 12, 2003, 9:40am
Its something good companies do to ensure company policy is adhered to.

I was told this about 4 months after I joined aw from another place, must
have thought bullshit is called for here as he won't know any different.

I'm sure with the vast business experience in both the technical and
customer relations departments some aw staff are at the peak of there chosen
line of employment, humm or was it the bottom on the line.

[View Quote]

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Feb 12, 2003, 9:43am
from what im being told ppl "represent" AW are just plain ppl no training
and I think this is beginning to show yep I DO!

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Feb 12, 2003, 9:50am
Just want to add this input to this thread is not promoting flame wars,
bickering,name calling, racial or religious slurs just observations from
dealings.

[View Quote]

neocube a

Feb 12, 2003, 10:14am
I will attempt to clear this up... NewAW doe not stand for New Active
Worlds however it stands for New Alpha World... like AW the world :)

~neo~

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Feb 12, 2003, 10:19am
its nothing new, look around

[View Quote]

neocube a

Feb 12, 2003, 10:27am
Just clearing it up... and I do not beta test...

~neo~

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Feb 12, 2003, 10:40am
no problem hope it not end up like a white elephant like skinned avatars.

[View Quote]

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Feb 12, 2003, 2:39pm
so does this mean there is no answer to the original question here ???

[View Quote]

ihnk

Feb 12, 2003, 7:26pm
its nothing like OW. there is no world like it, there cant be any worlds
like it. but youll see that soon

[View Quote]

e n z o

Feb 12, 2003, 8:01pm
And I would like to say that free discussion of ideas is always acceptable.

e n z o

Feb 12, 2003, 8:05pm
We are working on a new version which allows a greater range of creativity
and interactivity. It seems to me that this is a good thing...

It is unclear to me what exactly your point is.

What would you have us do to AW to improve on it?

binarybud

Feb 12, 2003, 8:10pm
I also have a web page devoted to helping tourists find accessible worlds..:)
Just because I like to help people.

Leo :) aka BinaryBud

http://www.leomauk.com/TouristWorlds.htm

[View Quote]

binarybud

Feb 12, 2003, 8:13pm
LOL you'll get no response from her E N Z O. She has made her point. LOL

How about updating AW's features, for starters? Add a skybox, terrain w/
Demeter, move/rotate, and 3-axis rotation! What's the point of adding
all these cool features to AW if you can't even use them in AW's most
popular world? :P

Wait... is ENZO actually *listening*?
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

e n z o

Feb 12, 2003, 9:27pm
Is that all?

There are a couple of issues (some small, some large) opened by this
suggestion. These would need to be answered by the community and the
programmers before it can even be considered :

1. Do you represent a majority or merely a vocal minority? (most important)

2. Does the majority want AW to be updated or do they feel that Alpha should
maintain its current "classic" look?

I can remember when Cy was the only av, then more avs were developed,
then av sequences were added - a lot of people HATED this, then we switched
the avs in AW from the second generation to the third... the COMMUNITY was
up in arms! (we put all the old ones back based on community complaint and
haven't touched em since)

3. Do you only want Alpha updated as far as "software features enabled" or
"artwork"

i.e.. panorama/skybox choices are "artistic" as will be 3.4 options
which enable cloud layers and water areas with waves and different gravities
below and above

4. What features do you suggest get implemented?

5. Do you understand the problems that these features create when added to a
HUGE world with millions of objects?

6. Do the majority of users agree that possible problems these features
might cause are worth the features.

"software" information storage for 3 axis rotation - remember there are
1.4 million objects!

"political" how do you stop your neighbor from tilting pole.rwx over
your house (is that vandalism?) ? How do you stop MY house that can wander
( create move 10 0 0 time=1000 loop) through YOUR livingroom?

"artistic" what about all the objects that only have one side - the
objects were built with no idea 3 axis rotation was ever going to be
implemented

"just silly looking" Where does my house go when the tide comes up?
Where does my house go when the terrain goes up?

From our point of view, Alpha was never intended to be updated with all the
features that have been added. The main reason features have been added is
because WORLD OWNERS and UNIVERSE OWNERS can utilize them in much smaller
worlds or in worlds that have been planned so as to allow for their use.

Alpha is very freeform in it's beauty and has a grand history - why try to
make it something it isn't?

my .02

No one is forcing those minorities to use the new features. This is one of those
moments when you have a choice to use a feature or not, it's not forced on you. At
least the people who want to use it will have the opportunity to now, if you don't
want to look at it; don't go to their property.

e n z o

Feb 12, 2003, 9:38pm
If we turn off the panorama a effectively change the entire look and feel of
Alpha, it affects EVERYONE

If we turn on fog and limit vis to 1 meter, it affects EVERYONE

If we replace the panorama with clouds that move... it affects EVERYONE

If I don't use create move but you do and your house sneaks up on me ... it
affects EVERYONE

If the database grows to a size that is impossible to back up (it is already
to large to run mapper) ... it affects EVERYONE

Try to put a tad more thought into this discussion if you want it to be
productive?

[View Quote] Well yeah, those options affect everyone. I was talking about the ones that don't
like 3d rotation and such. Maybe not special commands, but 3d rotation should work
fine. :\

--Bowen--

de de cyber mom

Feb 12, 2003, 10:08pm
or what about the world Tours the new comunity we set up for the new ppl and
take them along on a tour

there is all the updated teleports for tourist enabled worlds and you get a
guide with it all for free

PS : we are hiring ppl giggles

"binarybud" <leo at realPANTStourvision.com> schreef in bericht
news:3e4ac668$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I also have a web page devoted to helping tourists find accessible
worlds..:)
> Just because I like to help people.
>
> Leo :) aka BinaryBud
>
> http://www.leomauk.com/TouristWorlds.htm

How about you put a little more thought into those responses, eh Mr.
Noll? Getting pissy with your customers is generally not considered good
business practice. :P

And while we're on the subject of thinking, think about this: We are
merely builders. We are building in a world which has been here since
the beginning, and some of us feel that it needs to stay with the times.
Others may feel that it's fine the way it is. I do not speak for anyone
but myself, just as everyone else in here speaks for themselves.

You want to find out what we think? Perhaps *you* could do something
about it. Post an official poll on the ActiveWorlds website and find out
what everyone thinks should be added to AlphaWorld (just like you did
with the Feature Vote). Advertise it in the AlphaWorld welcome message
and in about a month or so, tally the results. I could even run the poll
concurrently on AWNews, if you think it would help.

The point is, if you really want to find out what we think, all you
gotta do is ask.

Customer Relations 101 is now in session
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Feb 12, 2003, 11:41pm
I have been waiting for someone to ask that here they for starters
1...fix it so we don't crash on t porting 2...fix it so the avs always are
able to use seqs 3....fix it so when we block a person they cant gram us
and then there was the day we all went in and found aw had blocked us
without us doing it 4...fix it so when we block we don't have to keep that
person in our list 5... upon entry or t port aw sometimes crashes and when
this happens all cache is zapped from the world you are in at the time 6...
fix it so when we click on a url it doesn't crash AW 7.....sometimes there
is a thing we call AW memory loss make an obj and aw cant remember to
leave it there its vanishes for a few minutes 8....at times the ftp or
OP's from several worlds not just mine gets stuck in "start" ill end
here :-) but there is more
[View Quote]

lady innie

Feb 12, 2003, 11:49pm
OHOHOH....*gets vocal, finally* ENZO I am all for new avs!!! Have been for
a very long time! The other stuff, eh...no biggy. I am really looking
forward to the newAW. I understand completely starting over, sometimes it
is easier to just start over than to just "upgrade" a few things. Sometimes
those "few things" take just as much as the whole thing. (maybe not in this
case, but who knows once you get down deep inside the guts of AW).

Anyway, just from one of the few, long timers here....good job ENZO. I have
enjoyed your work, and AW since COF was the best world out there! Keep up
the good work. I am really looking forward to 3.4 and new AW.

(thought this place needed some good vibes for once!)
[View Quote]

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Feb 12, 2003, 11:54pm
oh yes I am sure that one of the ways to bring life back to alpha and aw as
a whole is to allow tourists back in some ppl just cant afford it but
perhaps they fall in love with it and find a way just think of the ppl
s memories builds homes etc and they cant even go see them much less
build on them think of the ppl and THEN the software :-)