Is "damn" a cuss word ? (Community)

Is "damn" a cuss word ? // Community

1  2  3  |

newbie

Dec 26, 2001, 8:58pm
Just curious how the community feels.I was in a G-rated world and said
"damn,I will expire today" and was warned not to use such language,because
children might be present.In the same world slaves was flirting with their
masters and other cubes.I found an article about damn :
http://www.what-the-hell-is-hell.com/HellEncyclopedia/WordDamn.htm ,so judge
for yourself..I just hate hypocrire people who thinks they are the entire
ass when in fact they only are the hole.

Newbie aka CD

LoL no, damn isn't a bad word... even preachers say damn.. how bad can it
be? I believe some children go to church.. and hear damn.. how much worse
could it be if you say it?

moff piett

Dec 26, 2001, 9:56pm
It really depends who you ask. All my european and Canadian friends would
say no, even most of my american friends. But I notice people over 40
years old who comes from the bible belt/midwest area of the united states
can get very huffy over such a word.

the joker ss

Dec 26, 2001, 9:58pm
i never get offended by any words , not the f word not the d word , only
when ppl are really trying to harras me in person

"moff piett" <baronjutter at shaw.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3c2a639a at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> It really depends who you ask. All my european and Canadian friends would
> say no, even most of my american friends. But I notice people over 40
> years old who comes from the bible belt/midwest area of the united states
> can get very huffy over such a word.

Well.. most of them are from the "old" days when the world was a lot
different.. It really has no place in modern day English-speaking places.
Damn isn't a bad word, the same way Hell isn't. There's worse words that
people should be concerned with. Now if someone was saying "DAMN YOU" yes,
then it's a bad word :)

trekkerx

Dec 26, 2001, 10:41pm
Like Hell it depends on how you use it :)

--
TrekkerX
Commatron & Athnex

moff piett

Dec 26, 2001, 10:45pm
It's really context context context, and a little in the setting
department. Although I think a G rated world is fine in the setting
department. Hardly chatting with the queen.

Although words that tend to offend me are "thanx" "asl" "wurld" "luv" ,
"cuz" "u r" and replacing a perfectly good "s" with a "z". Liable to get
ejected, or atleast have my bot roll his eyes at you in disgust. I'm fine
with spelling mistakes and shortening of words in chat, but misspelling on
purpose? I'd give you a punch to face but you'd be gone like the sun, when
it's not sunny.

Exactly how I feal ;). I really hate the "hacker" talk. LoL

moff piett

Dec 26, 2001, 11:08pm
It's not really hacker talk. hacker talk is replacing as many letters as
posible with stupid other characters in a showy way. This is more
teen-internet-slang talk. Hmm that doesn't flow.

Well folks, looks like we have some work to do. We need to come up for a
good name for the words, or the people that use them. how about "chatturz"
hmm.

LMAO yeah "chatturz" works for them.

I used "hacker" like that because that's why they do it :).. they want to be
thought of as hackers but they're nothing more then 12 year old kiddies..
maybe of the script variety. True hackers follow written English
standards.. just a word out to all you "hacker" wannabes.

trekkerx

Dec 27, 2001, 12:39am
|-|4ck3R 74|_k I5 |_ik3 7|-|i5
Hacker TaLk is L ike tHis

They refer to it as Elete (3l373)
Thats how hackers talk

--
TrekkerX
Commatron & Athnex

cozmo

Dec 27, 2001, 1:09am
actually that's not how all hackers talk....at least not the real ones

Cozmo's right.. that's how hacker wannabe's talk.. and it's "leet".. Elete
*Elite* wouldn't be the proper spelling of it. Ask Andras or Ananas how
they speak English.. I bet they follow the rules pretty closely.. they are
hackers to the true definition :). Most true hackers are offended by
"cracker" like talking. Including the use of the z for s.. ie appz, crackz,
etc al.

trekkerx

Dec 27, 2001, 3:33am
Yeah, most "good" hackers are intellegent and they dont say they are one.
They dont tell anyone that they hack. They just do.

--
TrekkerX
Commatron & Athnex

You're thinking cracker ;).. Hackers are people who know an extreme amount
of information on computers, networks, hardware, software, and programming
languages. People who talk like that are saying they're hackers.. while
they may be somewhat they're trying to imitate "crackers" because they want
to make you think they can do things they really can't :) On the other
hand, a hacker won't really care what you think he can do.. he'll just do it
if it needs to be done.

I agree with you, except for thanx and cuzz, they're OK I think :-))

cozmo

Dec 27, 2001, 4:46pm
i know i hate typing out because so i just say cuz

[View Quote]

moff piett

Dec 27, 2001, 5:26pm
Ha, then better not visit Avatar anytime soon. Because "cuz, thanx, and
ur" are probably the most offensive words one can you in our culture. It's
the verbal equivalent of breaking off someone's legs and putting them in a
suitcase, taking their mother on a date and ordering 5 steaks then telling
her she's paying, or steeling all of someone's ladies and making them pay
late fees as super stacies and still they don't hate you. And it's liable
to get you a punch to the face.

cozmo

Dec 27, 2001, 5:40pm
shortening a word on purpose is not offensive to most people....are you an
english teacher or something?

[View Quote]

moff piett

Dec 27, 2001, 6:33pm
Shortening is ok. Like dif in place of diffent, it's the adding of z's
that boils my blood. Although I seriously don't hate it, it's just my
hobby for it to boil my blood. Sometimes it's pretty silly, like thanks
and thanx, ONE less letter. And cuz isn't so much shortening of a world,
but slang. People IRL use cuz, and it makes me punch just as much.

And I notice people who use "words" like ur and cuz, always give me other
reasons to dislike them due to their personality. So they go hand in hand
now. Or hand in face! PUNCH!

*backs slowly away from Moff*

dotar sojat

Dec 27, 2001, 6:49pm
OK I just have one question for you "newbie" what world did this happen in? I
have heard of a couple of the gor worlds trying to pass themselves off as
"family" worlds, and they are the only ones I could think of that fit your
description. But now my trivia spnoge of a mind has to know the correct answer.
Why? Oh just cuZ *eyes moff piett*

[View Quote] > LoL no, damn isn't a bad word... even preachers say damn.. how bad can it
> be? I believe some children go to church.. and hear damn.. how much worse
> could it be if you say it?
>
> --Bowen--

[View Quote]

cozmo

Dec 27, 2001, 7:06pm
im not even gonna say anything about that cuz to me it sounds like you have
a big problem with poeple just becuase they type like they talk to save
typing time and most people talk like that in RL

and whats the big deal about the Z? If i said cus it sounds like cuss and it
just doesn't sound right.

[View Quote]

moff piett

Dec 27, 2001, 7:19pm
Being crazy used to be my hobby, now it's my job.

cozmo

Dec 27, 2001, 9:36pm
riiiiight....

[View Quote]

elyk

Dec 27, 2001, 9:53pm
I wouldnt worry about it....some worlds go a little overboard with their
rules...to me, I dont think damn is a bad word.

[View Quote] > Just curious how the community feels.I was in a G-rated world and said
> "damn,I will expire today" and was warned not to use such language,because
> children might be present.In the same world slaves was flirting with their
> masters and other cubes.I found an article about damn :
> http://www.what-the-hell-is-hell.com/HellEncyclopedia/WordDamn.htm ,so judge
> for yourself..I just hate hypocrire people who thinks they are the entire
> ass when in fact they only are the hole.
>
> Newbie aka CD

newbie

Dec 27, 2001, 10:29pm
It happened in Castles.
dotar sojat <barsoom at my.activeworlds.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:3C2B86A0.54617777 at my.activeworlds.com...
> OK I just have one question for you "newbie" what world did this happen
in? I
> have heard of a couple of the gor worlds trying to pass themselves off as
> "family" worlds, and they are the only ones I could think of that fit your
> description. But now my trivia spnoge of a mind has to know the correct
answer.
> Why? Oh just cuZ *eyes moff piett*

[View Quote]

nornny11

Dec 28, 2001, 12:32am
The guy has a point. I mean, english teachers are rolling over their grave
because kids (of course) can't distinguish what's slang and unacceptable in
good american business culture and what's "proper". Don't go rolling over
your grave either, but for god sakes, I have to chuckle every time my
teachers rip out hairs because a kid writes "cuz" instead of "because" or
even use "cool" in a report!! Yeesh, there's a time for certain things, but
using cool in a report or paper is not the right time. It's not only
disrespectful to teachers who try to teach the english language as it was
and is, Noah Webster would die in your arms. I must admit, I'm guilty of a
slip, you'd be surprise how many computer-addicted mistakes go into your
paper without proper proofreading. ;) I say Moff has every right to kick you
in the brain for using cuz in a world. hehe. You are, after all, the one
breaking the english rules for the sake of quick conversationalism.

Nornny

[View Quote]

cozmo

Dec 28, 2001, 3:06am
no offense but i don't really care anymore, i'll talk whoever i please and i
think it's messed up that people have to go crazy just becuase we talk the
way we want to. It's not like we're not learning english we just don't want
to talk 'proper'

Well :) you're not really talking.. you're typing, so you're making major
grammatical mistakes. Talking like that is acceptable as long as you don't
say crap, shit, etc al.. it gets worse as you go on LoL. "however" :) Sorry
I can't resist to correct errors. Don't mind my drive-by posting.

1  2  3  |