rocambole // User Search

1  |

User counts

Oct 18, 1998, 7:50pm
--------------9EFF87A493CA851961181A61

The FAQ says:

Do bots made with the SDK count against the user limit in a world?
No. They also do not count against the user limit in the universe,
and they are not reflected in the
user counts shown in the world list.

If so - why does my world's user count always increments when my bot
arrives?

Rocambole of Mandalay

--------------9EFF87A493CA851961181A61

<HTML>
The FAQ says:

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <I>Do bots made with the SDK count against the user
limit in a world?</I>
<BR><I>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; No.&nbsp; They also do not count against the
user limit in the universe, and they are not reflected in the</I>
<BR><I>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; user counts shown in the world list.</I>

<P>If so - why does my world's user count <I>always</I> increments when
my bot arrives?

<P>Rocambole of Mandalay</HTML>

--------------9EFF87A493CA851961181A61--

User counts

Oct 19, 1998, 3:46am
My bot isn't a Hambot but an SDK bot and Mandalay is hosted by CoF so I
suppose it's running on a 2.1 server. Besides my SDK bot wouldn't work if the
server had been 2.0, right?
Rocambole

[View Quote] > That's correct. 2.1 worlds know what an SDK application is, so they know
> not to count them against the user limit. 2.0 servers don't know about the
> distinction between users and bots, so they count bots as users.
>
> If you're running Hambot without the SDK option, then it appears to the
> server as either a normal tourist or a normal citizen, so hambot bots get
> counted as users, even in 2.1 worlds. At some point it will no longer be
> possible to run Hambot in non-SDK mode, so this issue is only temporary.
>
> -Roland

[View Quote]

User counts

Oct 19, 1998, 5:21am
OK... So when the user count on the worlds list some time in the future is
correct I will know that my world runs on a 2.1 server.

[View Quote] > Actually no. Most of the worlds run by COF are still running 2.0 worlds.
> We are currently testing the 2.1 server with a about a dozen worlds, but the
> vast majority are still 2.0.
>
> Also SDK bots will work in 2.0 worlds. The SDK has code that detects
> whether a world is a 2.0 or 2.1 server, and changes protocols appropriately.
> I think only one the one function aw_whisper() will not work in 2.0 worlds.
>
> -Roland

[View Quote]

HAL 2a - the rude bot of Mandalay

Nov 3, 1998, 11:29am
For those who might be interested my bot HAL 2a is now situated at
Mandalay GZ. Be warned, though - he mostly is a nice fella, but
regrettably he has a nasty tendency to start a quarrel. Several visitors
have been insulted by his rude manners the last couple of days, before
they realised he is a bot. He is still a bit bug-ridden, but my goal is
to create a bot that is a bit more interesting to talk with than the
average AW citizen...
Regards
Rocambole of Mandalay

Mirrored surfaces

Dec 6, 1999, 6:39pm
Worlds Inc. - the original revelopers of Active Worlds - have nice mirrors in
their new virtual community system Worlds Ultimate Chat Plus. Since Worlds
Ultimate Chat Plus seems to be renderware-based like AW (at least there are
lots of rwx objects in the cache), it should be possible to have mirror
surfaces in AW as well. But maybe I'm totally wrong.
Rocambole

[View Quote] > Maybe this already exists. Wouldn't it be nice if AW had a set of mirrored
> surface objects? I think it would be nice if somewhere around ground Zero
> there was a mirror so I could see what my avatar looked like. Could this be
> done with a bot?
>
> Lynn

Large object support

May 28, 2000, 7:17pm
The point is that we can see the entire object no matter how big it is as long as
the anchor (x=y=z=0) point of the object is within our visiblity limit. I once made
an island with the anchor point offset 1,5 km outside the model and was thus able
to have an island near the horizon, 1,5 km outside my world but clearly visible.
New with AW 3.0 is that we actually can walk on these large objects, as long as we
are within 120 meters from the anchor point. I use large landscapes to expand my
worlds so they look like they continue hundreds of meters (and even kilometers)
utside their building limits.
Rocambole

[View Quote] > Uh, how can you even see it beyond 120m? What's the point of it being so big?

[View Quote]

Large object support

May 29, 2000, 8:54am
Just cross the river and walk North... No obstacles except a gate right North of
the river which can be opened by clicking on it. When you get to a crossing road
(30N 2E) go West and look for a sign saying "The Swamp" and then go straight North
(be careful with the water holes...). At 50N 0E you reach the world border and can
continue North to about 60N before you fall through the giant object.
For another example you can go East instead and then go North when you see a sign
saying "North. Contry". At 50N you will see a mountain utside the border.

By the way there will be far more obstacles in the future since my long-term plan
is to turn my world into an adventure game. Until then you can freely go
everywhere except to places that aren't finished yet- therefore some of the fences
(the rest of them are for decorative porposes) and several invisible walls.

Rocambole

[View Quote] > Hummm, now I know what eep means, I can't get to 50n 0e because teleports are
> disabled, and i can't walk there because you have fences, trees, etc..... all
> obstructing the way. I did like falling in the river though, no getting out,
> and flowing downstream, lol. However, would have liked to see your "cheat" on
> the world limitation, lol. nice graphics though :o)

[View Quote]

Large object support

May 29, 2000, 8:59am
Several visitors have managed to get to the edge and even beyond. Look for some more detailed info in my latest answer to ingiebee.
Rocambole

[View Quote] > Again, what's the point if no one can even GET to your world's edge? It's bad enough you don't allow bypassing collision detection, flying, and local teleports in your world...

[View Quote]

Large object support

May 29, 2000, 9:26am
Since you find Mandalay poorly designed and user-unfriendly I suppose you won't visit it so often that there is any reason for me to provide any more teleports than there already is.
I have fixed several of the sprites but may have missed a few.

Rocambole

[View Quote] > Swell, but try providing a teleport so I don't have to be bothered wandering all over your user-UNfriendly world, eh?

> You also need to fix your sprites so they're non-solid for AW3ers.
>
> Until AW is programmed to be more like a game, I wouldn't recommending making people feel trapped and restricted by your poorly designed environment and navigation limitations.

[View Quote]

Large object support

May 30, 2000, 9:35am
[View Quote] > How real is it to get stuck at GZ, unable to move? How real is it to keep reteleporting to the world (not just hitting the back/forward arrows) only to encounter the same thing?

Since most visitors DON'T get stuck at GZ, unable to move, but roam freely all around Mandalay this question is a bit hypothetic. In fact you are the only one I've heard about who has got stuck at GZ.

> But, you're right, I won't be visiting again anytime soon until you learn how to design it to be more user-friendly. :)

I know exactly how to design it to suit my plans and ambitions. The response from most visitors show I'm on the right track.

Speed limit

Dec 2, 2001, 2:01pm
As people get faster PC's and faster internet connection avatars no
longer walk in AW. They speed around far too fast to look realistic. So
it should be nice if world owners could set a speed limit for avatars,
like f.ex. 2 meters per second (real life walk equals about 1,1 meters
per second - or 4 kilometers in an hour)

Rocambole

Tourist enabled worlds

Feb 10, 2002, 1:40pm
It seems they don't want to make it too easy for world owners to give
tourists access either... Until yesterday there was a link on AWC's site
where world owners could pay the extra fee for tourist access. One could
also pay this fee in the world renewal form. But now both options have
disappeared. At least I didn't manage to find them again yesterday when I
had decided to give my world Mandalay tourist access.
So my guess is that the company soon will reveal another brilliant idea on
how to earn money on the tourists.
Rocambole

"mauz" <mauz at my.activeworlds.com> skrev i melding
news:3c666e22 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

> They may not implement that so quickly. Quoting a high-ranking AWC
official:
> "if we make it too easy for them then there will be no incentive to
register". ;)
> Well Gatekeepers are compiling a list of their own, and there are teleport
sites already.

> --
> Mauz
> http://mauz.info

Re: HearMe

Dec 10, 1999, 11:54am
Of course Americans will comment on our accent - they seem to have an inferiority complex because they only
understand their own language while we in Europe usually speak/understand at least two languages (our own and
English) and often three or more.

[View Quote] > However, there is one danger for this international AW community:
> for a foreigner it's usually easier to produce and understand written English.
> And if you try to chat with Americans, they WILL comment on your accent.
> Moving chat into voice window may intimidate most of the foreigners
> to stay quiet if there are native English-speakers present.
>
> --
> Mauz
> http://tnlc.com/mauz/

Classical Christmas Concert

Dec 19, 1999, 10:31pm
Welcome to the very first Classical Christmas Concert - taking place in
Pyramid - the new amfitheatre of Pata - December 30th from 7 PM to about
11 PM VRT.

50 carefully selected classical favourites in midi format. An excellent
opportunity to get to know the very best of the greatest composers of
the past: Bach, Beethoven, Handel, Verdi, Puccini and many others.
You'll be amazed!

Program: http://real-virtuality.com/pata/classical/classprog.html

Teleport from Pata GZ to the Pyramid.

See ya!

Rocambole

Today from 7 PM VRT: Classical Christmas Concert

Dec 30, 1999, 1:29pm
Welcome to the very first Classical Christmas Concert - taking place in
Pyramid - the new amfitheatre of Pata - December 30th from 7 PM to about

11 PM VRT.

50 carefully selected classical favourites in midi format. An excellent
opportunity to get to know the very best of the greatest composers of
the past: Bach, Beethoven, Handel, Verdi, Puccini and many others.
You'll be amazed!

Program: http://real-virtuality.com/pata/classical/classprog.html

Teleport from Pata GZ to the Pyramid.

See ya!

Rocambole

New Resource Site

Apr 8, 2000, 12:04am
If the graphics with the texts "AW backdrops", "Textures" etc. are supposed to
be links to other pages they don't work...

[View Quote] > Here is a new resource site for AW and world owners in particular"
> http://murasaki.bizland.com. Offered are textures and NEW backgrounds for
> worlds. Coming soon is a selection of MIDI files and rwx objects. Also
> offered is custom webpage design at reasonable rates.
>
> Best regards,
> Lady Murasaki of Samurai
>
> p.s.: If you experience difficulties with the site, have requests or
> comments, I would love to hear from you.

Patarock 2000

Jun 13, 2000, 8:06pm
The third annual Patarock midi concert will take place Sunday June 18th
from 4 PM VRT at La Défense, Pata. Go to Pata GZ where you will find a
teleport. The show will feature about 50 of the most popular pop/rock
songs from the last 50 years and is part of the celebration of Pata's
3rd "birthday".
See ya!

Rocambole

uninstall program...

Oct 11, 2000, 7:02pm
You should also try System Mechanic from http://www.iolo.com
Rocambole

[View Quote] > Wow... that was fast!! Thanx holistic and muggie... I'll check both of
> those out.
> Jynx
> :o)

[View Quote]

A1CTtourist5 Videos

Apr 29, 2002, 7:03am
Hypercam from http://www.hyperionics.com/ is another useful program for
making movies from AW worlds.
It creates AVI files and is also capable of recordng sounds.
Rocambole

"a1cttourist5" <pineriver at thenett.com> skrev i melding
news:3ccb00f4 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

[View Quote]

A1CTtourist5 Videos

Apr 29, 2002, 7:03am
Another useful program for making videos from AW is Hypercam from
http://www.hyperionics.com/. It creates AVI files and can also record sound.
Rocambole

"a1cttourist5" <pineriver at thenett.com> skrev i melding
news:3ccb00f4 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

> just tape the comp screen by camera, but you get glare and not full
colors.

A1CTtourist5 Videos

Apr 29, 2002, 7:03am
Another useful software for making AW movies is Hypercam from
http://www.hyperionics.com/ - it creates AVI files and can record sounds as
well.
Rocambole

"a1cttourist5" <pineriver at thenett.com> skrev i melding
news:3ccb00f4 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

> just tape the comp screen by camera, but you get glare and not full
colors.

A1CTtourist5 Videos

Apr 29, 2002, 7:06am
If anybody wonders why I posted 3 almost identical messages it's because I
was rejected from the news server the first two times. And suddenly all 3 of
them came through.
Rocambole

Password theft

May 15, 2002, 8:21pm
Today one of the veterans of AW - rypp - who is a well-known citizen of Pata
and other worlds - suddenly couldn't enter AW - his name didn't exist
anymore. He entered as a tourist and found out that his name had been
replaced with Legato on his buildings. If anybody knows this Legato or meets
him remember he is a thief and treat him like this asshole deserves.
If you have info about how password/identity theft is done and - even more
important - how to prevent it, please tell!
rypp wanted to write to this newgroup himself about the theft - but since he
no longer had any identity or password he wasn't allowed. rypp has contacted
AWcorp and hopefully they will act quickly and give him back his stolen
identity.

Rocambole

The Video4 is out!

Sep 26, 2002, 4:39pm
It the video was owned by Active Worlds then it should be "The Active
Worlds' video".
If the video instead is about Active Worlds: "The Active Worlds video"...

In my humble opinion.

Rocambole
(born French, was taught English by Norwegian teachers...)

"goober king" <gooberking at utn.cjb.net> skrev i melding
news:3D92ECC0.8050700 at utn.cjb.net...
> Not sure what your English teacher is smoking but both ActiveWorlds's
> and ActiveWorlds' would be correct. If a noun ends in "s", you have the
> option of using the second "s" or not. Not using the "s" might be more
> proper, but no one's going to kill you if you do.

Unable to log on with build 479

Apr 15, 2003, 8:07pm
After having installed the new public beta I am unable to log on - I get an
error message with reason 429 no matter which configuration I try.
I have both installed it on top of 3.3 and from scratch with the same
disappointing result.
Now I have reinstalled version 3.3 and once again I am able to visit my
favourite places.

Rocambole of Mandalay

Unable to log on with build 479

Apr 17, 2003, 8:17am
That's right, no ZoneAlarm, just a hardware firewall which is part of a
Jensen Broadband Router. Which gives me no problems whatsoever with 3.3. I
never had any problems with ZoneAlarm either all the years I used it before
I got ADSL and the router.
I got a surprisingly quick answer from support at activeworlds.com when I
complained and was told to hit the autoconfigure button once again - which I
did - and it didn't help this time either. Of course I had tried that a
dozen times already before I contacted support.

I will now install 3.4 on one of my other PC's and see what happens.

Regards
Rocambole

..

"tengel" <tengel at fna.no> skrev i melding
news:3e9d9dc9 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Not that what he have told, he has his firewall in the router, if I
remember
> correct.

[View Quote]

Unable to log on with build 479

Apr 17, 2003, 3:42pm
No, ZoneAlarm is not completely uninstalled, I just have disabled it at
startup. I used it until I got the broadband router a couple of months ago.
I did install 3.4 to another folder after I first had installed it upon my
old 3.3 without success.
Now I also have renamed aworld.exe which didn't help either.

Rocambole

"mauz" <mauz at my.activeworlds.com> skrev i melding
news:3e9ec5f7 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
[View Quote]

Unable to log on with build 479

Apr 17, 2003, 4:03pm
It seems it was the TrueVector stuff that did it. I just renamed my
ZoneAlarm folder and restarted and then 3.4 worked OK.
It was still running even though ZoneAlarm itself wasn't, and didn't show in
the Processes list (not as vsmon.exe anyway).

Thanks, Mauz!