Unable to log on with build 479 (Community)

Unable to log on with build 479 // Community

1  |

rocambole

Apr 15, 2003, 8:07pm
After having installed the new public beta I am unable to log on - I get an
error message with reason 429 no matter which configuration I try.
I have both installed it on top of 3.3 and from scratch with the same
disappointing result.
Now I have reinstalled version 3.3 and once again I am able to visit my
favourite places.

Rocambole of Mandalay

kf

Apr 15, 2003, 9:18pm
Uninstall and install again, but make sure to run the autoconfiguration
on your connection when you start first.

429 is an "unable to connect" error, either because your internet
connection does not work, is overloaded (eg. when you run a file sharing
program and it takes up all available connection slots) or the AW
program is incorrectly configured (eg. when you need a proxy server and
have to configured it or vice versa).

[View Quote]

tengel

Apr 16, 2003, 8:58am
kf, he have done that many times, and when he reinstall 3.3 it connects
again.
This only happend to his 3.4 version.

[View Quote]

kf

Apr 16, 2003, 10:23am
Strange...

[View Quote]

tengel

Apr 16, 2003, 10:43am
Yes it is strange. He have dsl, and Lan connection should have work. but he
have try all of theme with the same results. and I can't see that it is
firewall that does it. since 3.3 work well for him.
and he has hardware firewall.

[View Quote]

goddess innie

Apr 16, 2003, 12:34pm
Did he do the settings for the firewall in 3.4, as he did in 3.3? The
settings do not transfer from one build to another.

[View Quote]

mauz

Apr 16, 2003, 5:04pm
[View Quote] So just a hardware firewall, and no ZoneAlarm or similar program
(that has often caused problems like this with upgrades)?

--
Mauz
http://mauz.info

tengel

Apr 16, 2003, 5:15pm
Not that what he have told, he has his firewall in the router, if I remember
correct.

[View Quote]

rocambole

Apr 17, 2003, 8:17am
That's right, no ZoneAlarm, just a hardware firewall which is part of a
Jensen Broadband Router. Which gives me no problems whatsoever with 3.3. I
never had any problems with ZoneAlarm either all the years I used it before
I got ADSL and the router.
I got a surprisingly quick answer from support at activeworlds.com when I
complained and was told to hit the autoconfigure button once again - which I
did - and it didn't help this time either. Of course I had tried that a
dozen times already before I contacted support.

I will now install 3.4 on one of my other PC's and see what happens.

Regards
Rocambole

..

"tengel" <tengel at fna.no> skrev i melding
news:3e9d9dc9 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Not that what he have told, he has his firewall in the router, if I
remember
> correct.

[View Quote]

mauz

Apr 17, 2003, 2:19pm
[View Quote] So you did run ZoneAlarm before? How long ago? Did you uninstall it completely,
deleted the whole directory from hard disk, no TrueVector (Vsmon.exe) and
Minilog services in registry anymore? Can you still start it up and then shut it down?
Hmm I wonder if it helped to install 3.4 to another folder, or rename the exe.

--
Mauz
http://mauz.info

rocambole

Apr 17, 2003, 3:42pm
No, ZoneAlarm is not completely uninstalled, I just have disabled it at
startup. I used it until I got the broadband router a couple of months ago.
I did install 3.4 to another folder after I first had installed it upon my
old 3.3 without success.
Now I also have renamed aworld.exe which didn't help either.

Rocambole

"mauz" <mauz at my.activeworlds.com> skrev i melding
news:3e9ec5f7 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
[View Quote]

rocambole

Apr 17, 2003, 4:03pm
It seems it was the TrueVector stuff that did it. I just renamed my
ZoneAlarm folder and restarted and then 3.4 worked OK.
It was still running even though ZoneAlarm itself wasn't, and didn't show in
the Processes list (not as vsmon.exe anyway).

Thanks, Mauz!