Large object support (Wishlist)

Large object support // Wishlist

1  |

ingiebee

May 15, 2000, 11:41pm
well, I don't see it here, so I thought I'd write it in, even though I
understand Roland is working on rendering at a distance for large
objects. The other thing is to make them solid as well, It would be
nice to be able to put an entire model of a building, one you could go
into and explore without the disorientation of having it render in front
of you or disappear when you walk too far away from the origin point :o)

wyzard360

May 16, 2000, 2:53am
That would be nice because you could have whole buildings load at the same
time instead of coming in piece by piece

the wanderer

May 16, 2000, 12:45pm

see http://www.activeworlds.com/help/aw30/collision30.html

--

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

abel gance 2

May 27, 2000, 7:44pm
I have some landscape objects about 500 x 500 meters big in Mandalay (or
actually right outside) which have become solid with AW 3.0 so I now can
walk on them without falling through.
For an example visit the swamp at 50n 0e in Mandalay - the ground North from
there (utside the building limit) is one giant object.
Rocambole

[View Quote] > well, I don't see it here, so I thought I'd write it in, even though I
> understand Roland is working on rendering at a distance for large
> objects. The other thing is to make them solid as well, It would be
> nice to be able to put an entire model of a building, one you could go
> into and explore without the disorientation of having it render in front
> of you or disappear when you walk too far away from the origin point :o)

eep

May 27, 2000, 8:54pm
Uh, how can you even see it beyond 120m? What's the point of it being so big?

[View Quote] > I have some landscape objects about 500 x 500 meters big in Mandalay (or
> actually right outside) which have become solid with AW 3.0 so I now can
> walk on them without falling through.
> For an example visit the swamp at 50n 0e in Mandalay - the ground North from
> there (utside the building limit) is one giant object.

[View Quote] --
http://tnlc.com/eep/ - Active Worlds, Tomb Raider, 3D game comparison, The Sims
Enable line/word wrap if text not wrapping. Don't quote sig when replying.

rocambole

May 28, 2000, 7:17pm
The point is that we can see the entire object no matter how big it is as long as
the anchor (x=y=z=0) point of the object is within our visiblity limit. I once made
an island with the anchor point offset 1,5 km outside the model and was thus able
to have an island near the horizon, 1,5 km outside my world but clearly visible.
New with AW 3.0 is that we actually can walk on these large objects, as long as we
are within 120 meters from the anchor point. I use large landscapes to expand my
worlds so they look like they continue hundreds of meters (and even kilometers)
utside their building limits.
Rocambole

[View Quote] > Uh, how can you even see it beyond 120m? What's the point of it being so big?

[View Quote]

eep

May 28, 2000, 8:34pm
Again, what's the point if no one can even GET to your world's edge? It's bad enough you don't allow bypassing collision detection, flying, and local teleports in your world...

[View Quote] > The point is that we can see the entire object no matter how big it is as long as
> the anchor (x=y=z=0) point of the object is within our visiblity limit. I once made
> an island with the anchor point offset 1,5 km outside the model and was thus able
> to have an island near the horizon, 1,5 km outside my world but clearly visible.
> New with AW 3.0 is that we actually can walk on these large objects, as long as we
> are within 120 meters from the anchor point. I use large landscapes to expand my
> worlds so they look like they continue hundreds of meters (and even kilometers)
> utside their building limits.

[View Quote] --
http://tnlc.com/eep/ - Active Worlds, Tomb Raider, 3D game comparison, The Sims
Enable line/word wrap if text not wrapping. Don't quote sig when replying.

ingiebee

May 28, 2000, 10:27pm
great, I'm gonna go check it out

[View Quote] > I have some landscape objects about 500 x 500 meters big in Mandalay (or
> actually right outside) which have become solid with AW 3.0 so I now can
> walk on them without falling through.
> For an example visit the swamp at 50n 0e in Mandalay - the ground North from
> there (utside the building limit) is one giant object.
> Rocambole

[View Quote]

ingiebee

May 28, 2000, 10:29pm
Yes, that's what I was asking for originally, something like that to work, only I find
that large objects, when you get too far from their origin point, tend to disappear,
causing you to fall through them ??? have you had this problem?

[View Quote] > The point is that we can see the entire object no matter how big it is as long as
> the anchor (x=y=z=0) point of the object is within our visiblity limit. I once made
> an island with the anchor point offset 1,5 km outside the model and was thus able
> to have an island near the horizon, 1,5 km outside my world but clearly visible.
> New with AW 3.0 is that we actually can walk on these large objects, as long as we
> are within 120 meters from the anchor point. I use large landscapes to expand my
> worlds so they look like they continue hundreds of meters (and even kilometers)
> utside their building limits.
> Rocambole

[View Quote]

ingiebee

May 29, 2000, 5:47am
Hummm, now I know what eep means, I can't get to 50n 0e because teleports are
disabled, and i can't walk there because you have fences, trees, etc..... all
obstructing the way. I did like falling in the river though, no getting out,
and flowing downstream, lol. However, would have liked to see your "cheat" on
the world limitation, lol. nice graphics though :o)

[View Quote] > I have some landscape objects about 500 x 500 meters big in Mandalay (or
> actually right outside) which have become solid with AW 3.0 so I now can
> walk on them without falling through.
> For an example visit the swamp at 50n 0e in Mandalay - the ground North from
> there (utside the building limit) is one giant object.
> Rocambole

[View Quote]

rocambole

May 29, 2000, 8:54am
Just cross the river and walk North... No obstacles except a gate right North of
the river which can be opened by clicking on it. When you get to a crossing road
(30N 2E) go West and look for a sign saying "The Swamp" and then go straight North
(be careful with the water holes...). At 50N 0E you reach the world border and can
continue North to about 60N before you fall through the giant object.
For another example you can go East instead and then go North when you see a sign
saying "North. Contry". At 50N you will see a mountain utside the border.

By the way there will be far more obstacles in the future since my long-term plan
is to turn my world into an adventure game. Until then you can freely go
everywhere except to places that aren't finished yet- therefore some of the fences
(the rest of them are for decorative porposes) and several invisible walls.

Rocambole

[View Quote] > Hummm, now I know what eep means, I can't get to 50n 0e because teleports are
> disabled, and i can't walk there because you have fences, trees, etc..... all
> obstructing the way. I did like falling in the river though, no getting out,
> and flowing downstream, lol. However, would have liked to see your "cheat" on
> the world limitation, lol. nice graphics though :o)

[View Quote]

rocambole

May 29, 2000, 8:59am
Several visitors have managed to get to the edge and even beyond. Look for some more detailed info in my latest answer to ingiebee.
Rocambole

[View Quote] > Again, what's the point if no one can even GET to your world's edge? It's bad enough you don't allow bypassing collision detection, flying, and local teleports in your world...

[View Quote]

eep

May 29, 2000, 9:03am
Swell, but try providing a teleport so I don't have to be bothered wandering all over your user-UNfriendly world, eh?

You also need to fix your sprites so they're non-solid for AW3ers.

Until AW is programmed to be more like a game, I wouldn't recommending making people feel trapped and restricted by your poorly designed environment and navigation limitations.

[View Quote] > Several visitors have managed to get to the edge and even beyond. Look for some more detailed info in my latest answer to ingiebee.

[View Quote] --
http://tnlc.com/eep/ - Active Worlds, Tomb Raider, 3D game comparison, The Sims
Enable line/word wrap if text not wrapping. Don't quote sig when replying.

rocambole

May 29, 2000, 9:26am
Since you find Mandalay poorly designed and user-unfriendly I suppose you won't visit it so often that there is any reason for me to provide any more teleports than there already is.
I have fixed several of the sprites but may have missed a few.

Rocambole

[View Quote] > Swell, but try providing a teleport so I don't have to be bothered wandering all over your user-UNfriendly world, eh?

> You also need to fix your sprites so they're non-solid for AW3ers.
>
> Until AW is programmed to be more like a game, I wouldn't recommending making people feel trapped and restricted by your poorly designed environment and navigation limitations.

[View Quote]

faber

May 29, 2000, 2:41pm
I recently visited Mandalay and its the best world i ever encountered on aw.

The non-local teleports and forced collision detection with buildings and avatars are a must for
this world, as its really designed to be "real".

Faber

[View Quote]

eep

May 29, 2000, 7:20pm
[View Quote] > I recently visited Mandalay and its the best world i ever encountered on aw.

Uh huh...

> The non-local teleports and forced collision detection with buildings and avatars are a must for
> this world, as its really designed to be "real".

How real is it to get stuck at GZ, unable to move? How real is it to keep reteleporting to the world (not just hitting the back/forward arrows) only to encounter the same thing? At the very least, shift should be enabled. But, you're right, I won't be visiting again anytime soon until you learn how to design it to be more user-friendly. :)

Back to world design 101 with ya!

[View Quote] --
http://tnlc.com/eep/ - Active Worlds, Tomb Raider, 3D game comparison, The Sims
Enable line/word wrap if text not wrapping. Don't quote sig when replying.

rocambole

May 30, 2000, 9:35am
[View Quote] > How real is it to get stuck at GZ, unable to move? How real is it to keep reteleporting to the world (not just hitting the back/forward arrows) only to encounter the same thing?

Since most visitors DON'T get stuck at GZ, unable to move, but roam freely all around Mandalay this question is a bit hypothetic. In fact you are the only one I've heard about who has got stuck at GZ.

> But, you're right, I won't be visiting again anytime soon until you learn how to design it to be more user-friendly. :)

I know exactly how to design it to suit my plans and ambitions. The response from most visitors show I'm on the right track.