VIRUS ALERT (General Discussion)

VIRUS ALERT // General Discussion

1  |

data21

Dec 5, 2001, 6:36am
McAfee.com has seen an OUTBREAK of computers infected with
W32/Goner at MM, also known as Pentagone, Goner or Gone. This
is a NEW, HIGH RISK virus that spreads via Microsoft Outlook
email and ICQ instantmessaging programs. This mass-mailing
worm will arrive from someone you know with the following
email message:

Subject: Hi

Body: How are you ?
When I saw this screen saver, I immediately thought about you
I am in a harry, I promise you will love it!

Goner has a DESTRUCTIVE PAYLOAD. When the attachment is
opened, it will look for a variety of anti-virus, firewall
and other security programs and attempt to delete them,
along with ALL FILES in the same directory. This worm
will also place a trojan, REMOTE32.INI, on the system, which
contains instructions to attempt Denial-of-Service attacks
on other IRC users.

For detection and removal instructions for the
W32/Goner at MM virus, click here.
===> http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/viruses/Goner/default.asp

evil overlord

Dec 5, 2001, 7:46pm
> This worm
> will also place a trojan, REMOTE32.INI, on the system, which
> contains instructions to attempt Denial-of-Service attacks
> on other IRC users.

Just a note: This does require mirc to be installed on the machine.

trekkerx

Dec 6, 2001, 1:07am
Just a note scr files cant do that :)

--

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TrekkerX

syko

Dec 6, 2001, 2:18am
do you really think its a .scr file?
[View Quote]

anduin lothario

Dec 6, 2001, 2:22am
I've had this e-mail sent to me twice already, meaning someone with me in
their address book was infected.
Anyway, the attachment in both of mine were:
gone.zlq of 39.0kb in size.

Anduin Lothario
ICQ#:17962714

SMS: +278314217962714
More ways to contact me:
http://wwp.icq.com/17962714
http://www.anduin-lothario.com

foxmccloud

Dec 6, 2001, 2:45am
..scr files are screen savers, they are programs like the others and can do whatever they want.

Fox Mc Cloud

"trekkerx" <zac at commatron.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c0ee0e9$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Just a note scr files cant do that :)

xelnaga

Dec 6, 2001, 3:02am
I got this virus sent to me once.. it was gone.scr

[View Quote]

trekkerx

Dec 6, 2001, 3:17am
They can do a lot... I know ive made a few myself.. But scr files are
limited to what they can do by windows... they cant edit vitial infomation
or shutdown computers

--

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TrekkerX

moria

Dec 6, 2001, 6:48am
An scr is just a renamed exe designed to operate in the windows root
directory. The program can be made to do anything, including anything
available in the windows api.

Play music, change file, examine your hard drive, close down windows
anything.

Thats why most virus checkers and zone alarm will auto rename and
quarantine and .scr file before it gets into your system because they
can also autorun.

Moria

[View Quote] >They can do a lot... I know ive made a few myself.. But scr files are
>limited to what they can do by windows... they cant edit vitial infomation
>or shutdown computers

donna

Dec 6, 2001, 12:05pm
*comment* why do people waste talent on making things that will hurt other:(
[View Quote]

brant

Dec 6, 2001, 10:22pm
Yeah, I get these viruses all the time. You have to stay on your toes.

[View Quote]

trekkerx

Dec 6, 2001, 11:39pm
I know that ive made them... But windows wont allow deletion of certain
files... also most virus/trojan scanners will detect anything thats massivly
deleting files that wasnt done using a certain program and stuff

--

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TrekkerX

casay

Dec 7, 2001, 1:42pm
Instead of arguing that this thing can't do what was said it DOES do...
check out www.sarc.com. Yes, it does delete program files.
Casay
[View Quote]

captain mad mike

Dec 8, 2001, 10:58pm
Yeah....and theres enough proof that it is destructive. I heard about it
from my dad (he's subscribed to McAffee's thing) and then later from one of
my TechTV newsletters....I must be scared tho (I have mIRC, ICQ, and Outlook
Express here...perfect target me >_<) because I had this dream that I was on
ICQ and I got this message from someone and then I left the message open too
long and it unleashed the virus on my comp. Of course I know its spread thru
e-mail but I've heard it goes thru ICQ too.

--
Captain MAD Mike
-Governor, PC Addict, Odd Man

anduin lothario

Dec 8, 2001, 11:48pm
Umm, the virus can be sent through anything, if I were to save the virus
file to disk (which I have), and I sent you the file through ActiveWorlds,
it would do much the same thing.

[View Quote]

the derek

Dec 9, 2001, 1:54am
thyre just a renamed exe i dont think there are any limits on them
[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Dec 9, 2001, 6:02pm
yes had that one luckerly Norton stopped it ariving and i promtly deleted it
and cleaned system.

Just shows folks, keep your virus checker unpdated.