moria // User Search

moria // User Search

1  2  3  4  5  |  

VS SDK: Making mutliple Chat events

May 7, 2001, 2:10pm
ouch huge possible overhead.

In a case statement version you will go to the specific and drop out.. in
the if loop you will go through every single one every time.

If you get more than about 10 or 15 options its gonna start to crawl with
more than one person saying things around.

Each of those if's should at least have an exit loop in them, but the case
method would be better for this type of repetetive action.. its also less
code to parse as well.

Moria




[View Quote]

VB: Chat Logging

May 10, 2001, 4:11pm
have a look in the manual under open for append rather than just open

Moria


[View Quote]

Detecting a Object Click, and Verafying it.

May 17, 2001, 4:48am
why don't you get a book, learn how to program in VB and then and only then
get the sdk and try to program a bot. I think thats the advice you prefer
people to use.

Until then, stop trying to HELP others with misleading information and
incorrect guesswork, and possibly cause others grief and unnecessary work
trying to get your guesswork to work.

Why not just shut up, watch the replies from those that do know and learn.

Idiot.

Moria


[View Quote]

Detecting a Object Click, and Verafying it.

May 17, 2001, 6:35pm
actually it was you that said you didn't know how to use it.

Moria


[View Quote]

VB: Storing Values in INI Files

May 18, 2001, 4:00pm
to do it properly you should really use the Win32 api for ini files.

the following need to be declared in your root module or wherever you do
declares...

The basics are below, you may need to play a bit to get exactly what you
want:)


Declare Function WritePrivateProfileSection Lib "kernel32" Alias
"WritePrivateProfileSectionA" (ByVal lpAppName As String, ByVal lpString As
String, ByVal lpFileName As String) As Long

Declare Function WritePrivateProfileString Lib "kernel32" Alias
"WritePrivateProfileStringA" (ByVal lpApplicationName As String, ByVal
lpKeyName As Any, ByVal lpString As Any, ByVal lpFileName As String) As Long

Declare Function GetPrivateProfileInt Lib "kernel32" Alias
"GetPrivateProfileIntA" (ByVal lpApplicationName As String, ByVal lpKeyName
As String, ByVal nDefault As Long, ByVal lpFileName As String) As Long

Declare Function GetPrivateProfileSection Lib "kernel32" Alias
"GetPrivateProfileSectionA" (ByVal lpAppName As String, ByVal
lpReturnedString As String, ByVal nSize As Long, ByVal lpFileName As String)
As Long

Declare Function GetPrivateProfileString Lib "kernel32" Alias
"GetPrivateProfileStringA" (ByVal lpApplicationName As String, ByVal
lpKeyName As Any, ByVal lpDefault As String, ByVal lpReturnedString As
String, ByVal nSize As Long, ByVal lpFileName As String) As Long

then you need the following storage declares of..

SecName....
KeyName
KeyValue
PrvName

then to add the ini elements

WritePrivateProfileString SecName, KeyName, KeyValue, PrvName
KeyName = "xxxxxxxx"
KeyValue = "xxxxxxxx"

where x are your values

to read you need

World = Space(50)
KeyName = "World"
GetPrivateProfileString SecName, KeyName, "10", World, Len(World), PrvName


where "10" is a default value if no value found
and the entry is put into a 50 space field, in this case called World

Hope this rings some bells.

Moria



[View Quote]

VB: Storing Values in INI Files

May 19, 2001, 1:38pm
[View Quote] so is using the win32 api and much more powerful. Theres ocx's etc for
lots of functions, but every one bloats the final app size.

In addition, by using the API you'll learn a heck of a lot more than just
including an OCX.:)

I have nothing against OCX's etc, and brandts one is fine, but I still
believe its best to get to know what you can do without them:)

Moria

okay this has to be me being stupid I guess:)

May 25, 2001, 5:05am
Problem time...

This is a VB problem, actually its a getting my head sorted problem but I'm
using VB.

I have a bot program, with a master bot and sub bots program. The master
bot does all the main control.. keeps the log of whos in the world and
where, gets the details from previous visits, does the queries and manages
the worlds objects and the individual bots information etc etc. On the
control panel/form for the master bot there are buttons for starting the
other bots and ending the other bots.. which work fine. I can start and end
the other bots add infinitum by clicking on the buttons on the form.

The master bot also tracks where people are, and adds them into seperate
list box if they go into certain areas and removesthem from those lists when
theyleave, so for example, if someone walks into a certain area, they appear
in the list for that area as well as the main in world list.

okay.. now I was running out of my bot limit, so decided that rather than
start all the bots, if someone walked into the area that is already
monitored, the bot would then be started automaticallyif they were the first
person into that area, and when they left the area it would be ended
automatically if no-one was left in that area and based it from the code
that the master bot uses to determine whos where...

Still with me so far?? (grin)

I added a single line of code to start the bot of..

command14_click when the list got an entry and voila the bot loaded
fine.

I then went to delete the bot when they left the area

I added a couple of lines of code to end the bot

command15_click when the list became empty

inother words using the existing code that works fine for a shutdown if you
use the buttons on the form.

(Bots are excluded from appearing on the lists using a block on thechar
for first char)

Problem is, that when the bot leaves automatically the whole program crashes
with..

sdk automation error. I think the number is 10001.

anyone got any ideas, it confusing the heck outta me cause I see no
difference between clicking the button and having the program doing it :) ?

Moria

okay this has to be me being stupid I guess:)

May 25, 2001, 5:47am
okay error message was way off.. it reads this :-

error -2147417848(80010108)

AWWait of object DAwSdkOcx2 failed

Moria

okay this has to be me being stupid I guess:)

May 25, 2001, 6:18am
and your clue is?? you point to a newsgroup with three posts in it.. two
saying the group has opened and one saying do you really want this group.
personally I would prefer an answer from someone with a clue as to the
problem. If there is no-one, then I'll eventually work outsome sort of
answer, but as to your hint, I think the frequency of posting there from
others has reassured me I am more likely to get a valid response here thank
you. :)

Moria



[View Quote]

okay this has to be me being stupid I guess:)

May 25, 2001, 1:02pm
not unless its in quickstop :)

the code it pulls on comand14_click is...

TimAWWait4.Enabled = False
SDK4.QuickStop
Command14.Enabled = False
Command13.Enabled = True

and as I say its fine if you click the button:)

give me a day or so, I'll track it down:)

Moria

[View Quote]

okay this has to be me being stupid I guess:)

May 26, 2001, 12:50pm
so after all that have you got any ideas KAH? or are you just using this
thread for advertising?

If you haven't got any idea, then why are you posting in it?

Moria


[View Quote]

okay this has to be me being stupid I guess:)

May 27, 2001, 1:30pm
nope, full log in and awsdk.destroy have the same errors. Its somethingto
do with the SDKAWWait and the way VB handles timers when direct driven from
button clicks and program controlled working on interrupt timings. Found a
chunk on the M/Soft website that seems to be a clue.

Once I have the answer and proved it I will post it.

Moria

[View Quote]

Banking System Almost Complete!

Apr 11, 2001, 1:07pm
If you wern't around before, how could you possibly know who was or wasn't
here before you started posting??

Moria


[View Quote]

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 21, 2001, 6:13am
when does it run out so we can look forward to loosing you?

Moria



> People will not pay the total cost of a world just to change the
background,
> and that is one customer who will eventually walk away when their
> citizenship runs out.
>

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 21, 2001, 4:13pm
[View Quote] > I paid for citizenship, and went ahead building. I wanted to change my
> background and ran into a snag.

Its not YOUR background its everyones background.

If you want your OWN background, stop being so cheap and buy a world, but
dont expect to change the background in a public world open to all:)

If you want your own background, do the picture object thing and build a
wall round your house so you can be in your own private world.

>
> Oh well, that's where my money stops. I won't pay Active Worlds until I
see
> them give what I want. You can burn me once, but you can't a second time.
>

They haven't burnt you, if you were capable of reading you could have found
out WHY you cant change the background before you bought your citizenship.


> I am glad I didn't buy a world and true space. That has saved me $150
which
> I can use for some tasty sushi, hehe.

I assume you'll want to be able to change the wallpaper in the restaraunt
because youve bought a meal there?

> Bottomline, Activeworlds is good. However, their pricing is not
reasonable
> when you consider limitations of choice. I came to build here, and I want
> to build. That includes the background.

In case you still haven't realised, the background is not a build object..
but if you find a way to change it then I can assure you that I will run a
bot that every time you change it I will change it back immediately.

I do agree in one thing however, its far to cheap, but luckily the money
comes from commercial applications so don't worry, your $20 won't be missed
when you go.

You are nothing but a troll depeperately trying to prove how inane and tight
you are.

Goodbye, you are the weakest link.

Moria

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 21, 2001, 4:16pm
LOLOL I'm not offended, in fact I haven't laughed so much at stupidity for
a long time:)

Sorry, let me clarify..

You are making a suggestion which is as follows...

I am to tight to buy a world, so I would rather affect everyone else who
uses AW so that my own personal gratifaction can be satiated for 75% of a
world license fee.

I think that sums it up.

As I said before, when are you leaving.

Goodbye, you ARE the weakest link.

Moria


[View Quote]

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 21, 2001, 4:39pm
[View Quote]

> I would love (strike that), I would hate to tell my clients I webdesign
for
> that they are just being cheap because they want a particular background
to
> their page without paying for a bunch of extras they don't need or want on
> their site. Not sure I would continue making much business with that kind
> of attitude.

Do you charge more than $80 for a website? If so then why not pay $80 for a
world/website and you can do what you like, as your customers can when they
buy one of your websites.

If you DON'T charge at least $80 for a website, then get real and don't
expect everyone else to be as dumb as you to not charge.

Moria

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 22, 2001, 3:36am
[View Quote] > I would have no problem with that, but right now everyone that comes to
> Active Worlds is in a catch 22. If you buy true space, then you can
create
> your own objects. However, all they say about True Space is that it "is
> available to citizens" but they say nothing about needing a world first in
> order to actually use it.

Bzzzzt wrong.. you dont need a world in order to use truespace for 3d
modelling, its a stand alone program.

> Same thing with a world, if you buy a world, you
> have to pay more for a program to make objects.

Bzzzztttt wrong.. you can build objects in notepad, you dont need an
additional program.


>I don't want people double
> dipping in my wallet when I go to the checkout counter.

They dont.

>AW can try that
> tactic all they want, but that will give me more of a reason to not buy a
> world or TS yet. My advice, save your money until they offer a combo.
That
> is a more honest approach.
>

Its not a forced combo because truespace isn't needed, but if you WANT
truespace theres a special offer.

Now go get your facts straight and stop whining.

Moria

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 22, 2001, 7:52am
>
> Are you serious? Where is this feature in notepad to allow me to build
> objects with, let me get this straight, you are saying "notepad"?
>

No I am not saying "notepad" I am saying notepad. I think youve been
watching too much Austin Powers, real people dont hold up their hands and
wave in quotemarks around names.

> Notepad helps keep track of file names, I don't think you can actually
build
> objects in it.

I think you should just change that to I dont think.

Notepad is a text editor, objects are text files. Just cause you don't
understand either objects or world principles it doesn't mean it can't be
used... its a bit like not understanding that you cant change defaults on a
FREE generic world, in the same way as you can't change the pop up on the
yahoo websites that you get for free.

In fact it is this lack of understanding that makes you seem so amusing and
permeates your arguments with idiocy.

People have been building objects in notepad ever since AW came along, in
the early days it was all we had, and even now for some its quicker than
using a modeller which generates too many vertices for simple objects to be
useful.

In fact you can even build avatars in notepad, and some of the longtimers
will even tell you that I wrote a program using a window based on notepad to
build your own with an interface on the front to make it easy.

Now, go away and stop trying to twist the conversation by saying I only
meant AW or AWTeen.. in fact, as it happens, most objects were built by
citizens using notepad that were then submitted to AW to include in AW.

Of course, that was in the days when people LEARN'T what was possible
instead of just whining about it was to expensive (when in reality its
avctually to cheap) and having everyone else laugh at them.

However I would like to thank you for giving me so much amusement.

Feel free to have the last word after this, unless its particularly amusing,
I see no reason to correspond further with someone who is the weakest link a
nd has no ability to read and understand.

Please advise of your websites youve designed so that we can go and laugh
further.

Goodbye.

Moria

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 22, 2001, 8:58am
[View Quote] > If you are saying I can use "notepad", I am using quotes to stress, to
build
> objects then you are not applying its usage to AW or AW teen.

You didn't state AW or AWTEEN you said it can't be used to make objects
period. soooo bzzzzzzzzzttttttt wrong again.

In fact for a lot of AW and AWTEEN, as I said in my work of fiction, many of
the models were created with notepad. They may not have been assembled into
buildings in notepad, but they were created in notepad. sooo bzzzzzzzzzttt
wrong again a second time.

If you mean you can't use notepad to BUILD in AW and AWTEEN I might agree
with you, but in fact thats not quite true either but its a bit
convoluted.. you have to use the output of notepad to feed a build bot or a
macro to make that little trick work. so bzzzzzzzztt wrong for the third
time.

People can't mindread.. I did try but theres this huge haze where yours
should have been. Try stating what you are thinking clearly and consisely
otherwise you will get responses based on what you say not what you were
thinking.

>Active Worlds
> as I understand uses paths to accept or reject objects to be used in a
> particular world.

ermmmm sorta, not fully correct though.

When you type in a model name it first accesses a registry file (if used in
that world) to see if it is legal to use, if it is, then and only then does
it go and looks at the path options for the world, determines the directory
it needs, then looks for it, if it finds it it then downloads it. Then it
references the textures included in the model, downloads it and places it
and displays it on your screen. Finally it applies any action command fields
on the object.

It doesn't use paths to reject items, if there is no registry then it goes
straight to the path and if it cannot find the object either on the legal
path or local path it just applies the default triangle, so yes partially
right, although you can bypass this with a local path in any world, but then
all people there have to have that object on a local path in order to see
it, and this won't work easily in a registry governed world.

In addition, thanks to some people who know what they are talking about,
theres now an excellent facility in some worlds to use secondary paths which
has helped enormously.. but yoiu won't be interested in that cause it wont
ever go near AW or AWTEEN I wouldn't have thought.

>
> Therefore, whatever capabilities I may have or in this case do not have
with
> notepad to create said objects you mention within your posts are not
useful
> for a citizen who wants to build in AW or AW teen since at no point does
> AW's path go or will go to an object created by that citizen.

Nice twist but actually not correct. I can pick up a number of objects in
AW that I built (in Notepad) because I submitted them to AW and got them
accepted. Of course, any citizen can submit objects that they have built..
whether they get accepted or not depends on the owner of that world, in this
case AWCOM. Also see above re local paths, it won't work in AW but I don't
know if AWTEEN has a registry in operation.. I guess it probably does if it
allows for user building, so in some cases AW's path does go to objects
created by citizens. so bzzzzzzzzzzt wrong for the fourth time.

>
> I would like to see someone respond in a more practical manner than just
> claiming to know a lot of technical stuff that can't be useful to a
citizen
> in AW or AWteen.

If you want to restrict yourself to AW and AWTEEN then I suggest you state
that as opposed to blanket statements such as you can't use Notepad to build
objects with which only make you look silly as they are blatantly wrong.

If you had said you can't use notepad to easily assemble objects in the
worlds to make buildings then I would have agreed with you, but you didn't
so, once again you look silly and I get another laugh. bzttzzzzzzzttttt
number 5

Finally I suggest you start to read these replys before you answer them so
that you can try to grasp that people have already given you the answers you
need, even if they are not necessarily the answers you want.

PS where are the websites you've done?

Moria

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 23, 2001, 1:40pm
[View Quote]
> And one of the citizen rights should be the right to change the background
> even if you are not a world's owner.

Disagree, if you want to build in a public world, then design it to fit in
with the ambiance of the existing environment, rather than spend fruitless
hours campaigning for something that is trivial to start with, and is
developed purely into a personal rant.

If you want to change the backdrop in my world, you get banned.

Of course, if your not able to build in an existing environment, then go get
your own world and take the easy way out.

Many people have spent many hours building worlds, matching objects and
generally trying to make places welcoming for people to build in, but theres
always some idiot that won't abide by the rules and complains.

Sometimes I wonder why people waste their time when all they get is
complaint after complaint, but luckily some do still open their worlds for
public building.

If you come to my public building world, you are welcome to build within the
environment, which includes the backdrop, however, if you complain about the
backdrop, or try to change it you will face a permanent ban from the world.

Thats a right I get for buying a world, not just partial rights, full rights
which allow me to deal with idiots like you.

Goodbye,

Moria

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 23, 2001, 9:27pm
I reply with your own post.

------quote------
Learn to read the context of what people are trying to say guys, not just
the 1:1 correspondence of what you want it to mean.
------end quote------

You cant even follow your own arguments newbie troll.

Moria


[View Quote]

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 24, 2001, 5:01am
My last post to you on this subject troll..

[View Quote] > Since I made my first post to holistic1, I have only tried to discuss the
> issue of building in worlds like AW and AW teen, and I have never once
> addressed a world owned by a citizen who has paid at least $80 for it when
> doing so

Then why, if you look at the thread was it not until your 17th post on this
subject that you first mentioned AW and AWTEEN. until that point you had
simply stated AW and worlds which to everyone except you means all worlds.

> It is you not me who brought up notepad.

yes in correction of your blatant misunderstanding.

your comment....

Same thing with a world, if you buy a world, you
have to pay more for a program to make objects.

my comment...

Bzzzztttt wrong.. you can build objects in notepad, you dont need an
additional program.

your comment...

Are you serious? Where is this feature in notepad to allow me to build
objects with, let me get this straight, you are saying "notepad"?

I say the same to you, unless you can show me how to build objects in
notepad, I doubt you have your facts straight.

my comments..

yes I am serious and most of the objects that exist were built in notepad.

The reason I brought notepad up was because you were wrong and because you
can build objects in notepad.


> I wonder if you actually read the posts or just take target practice
> blindfolded. I get a lot of attacks and namecalling and very little civil
> posts from you actually addressing what I am trying to talk about.

I wonder if you actually read the replys.. you still haven't replied to
over half of what youve been asked, just twisted the bits you want to back
into your own pet war (typical troll and kiddie behaviour)

> Now moria, if you can respond to this post in a civil fashion I'll be more
> than happy to continue discussing with you what I have been trying to get
> others to recognize.

I'd rather you didn't, my sides are already hurting to much from laughing at
you.

You insist others mind read what you say into what you mean.

Unfortunately thats not possible, if you make a direct statement and its
wrong be prepared to be damned for it.

Go on, reply, and have the last word you know you want to..

Just realise that you are now considered a troll

Moria


[View Quote]

How do you make a textbok automatically scroll down?

May 12, 2001, 5:00am
Just an additional thing here..

Make sure you have set the box to have scrollbars on it, otherwise I think
you will go to the end of the text but you wont see it, because the text box
will fill up from the top and the selstart/ seltext will put you beyond the
visible area if you have a lot of text accumulating there:)

I prefer, rather than using text boxes to use the RTF control.. okay so its
another control to compile, but you can do a lot more with RTF controls for
editing etc that with a plain text box, but the selstart/seltext thing
works with RTF as well.

Moria


[View Quote]

Newbies:

May 12, 2001, 6:45am
ermmmm by the time they have read the book, they'll be at a stage where you
need to ask them questions dont ya think based on some of your more recent
ones??

Just remember, the more you spout off about not being prepared to help
newbies, the less likely it is that anyone will ever help you.

Just remember what goes around comes around... newbie:)

Moria


[View Quote]

Saying the contents of a list box

May 17, 2001, 4:39am
try a mini loop

okay its real early so am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, which
I probably am, but the gist is...

For a = 0 To (List1.ListCount - 1)
sdk.awsay list1.list(a)
next a


Moria


[View Quote]

Modular Ground Maker

May 7, 1998, 4:21pm
Well if he has left, no-one at COF is aware of it <g>. Wonderful how these
rumours start :))))))

Moria


[View Quote]

Re: Worlds not showing on list

Mar 5, 2001, 4:02pm
not necessarily.

if the origional design said, max 8k or limit 750 then it may be a design
feature but it doesnt mean its broken, in fact if they DID show up it would
be broken. Agreed, its not the best feature, but it could be, and by all
means it should be looked at.

However, I doubt whether any of us KNOW what the situation should be, so at
this stage it cannot be defined as broken, just a problem that may be doing
what was origionally designed.

So easy to scream broken when in actual fact it could be doing the right
thing.

Moria.


[View Quote] >
> If there are worlds not showing up, it's broken. And therefore it can be
> fixed (by making those worlds show up).
>
> rolu
>
>

AW GUI Idea

Jul 26, 2001, 10:17am
it does look good when you wander around it though :)

Moria

[View Quote]

Pie....

Jun 23, 2001, 7:42am
Good to see you made it here then eep:)

Moria

[View Quote]

1  2  3  4  5  |  
Awportals.com is a privately held community resource website dedicated to Active Worlds.
Copyright (c) Mark Randall 2006 - 2021. All Rights Reserved.
Awportals.com   ·   ProLibraries Live   ·   Twitter   ·   LinkedIn