Shadows AGAIN ! (Wishlist)

Shadows AGAIN ! // Wishlist

1  |

orb

Jan 7, 2004, 2:01pm
In paint programs there are filters for different effects and one is cast
shadow.

brock

Jan 7, 2004, 5:09pm
So your wishing for shadows?

--
Brock/308723

Immigrated: October 16, 1999
Expires: June 14, 2004
(I will be leaving for good after I expire.)

orb

Jan 7, 2004, 6:01pm
Yeah shadows would be super someday . Just got to talking to lots of people
in AW this morning and they were showing some links to game sites where
there were some great graphics and so why not?

scuz

Jan 7, 2004, 6:04pm
I dont know about you, but I have never seen a game with dynamic content
that has shadows. All the ones I have seen, the shadows are put in before
hand.

~Scuz

[View Quote]

codewarrior

Jan 7, 2004, 7:29pm
Widen your experience Scuz.

Check out Deus Ex II...

Light bulbs swinging from the ceiling.. shadows moving along with it..
and if you knock things over the shadows do 'the right thing'.

These are definitely not 'baked' textures. These are made to order, while
you wait... and you don't wait long at all.

[View Quote]

alexthemartian

Jan 7, 2004, 9:27pm
oo.. and mirrors/reflections would be nice too, but i know its already
been wished, but we need them.

[View Quote] > Widen your experience Scuz.

> Check out Deus Ex II...
>
> Light bulbs swinging from the ceiling.. shadows moving along with it..
> and if you knock things over the shadows do 'the right thing'.
>
> These are definitely not 'baked' textures. These are made to order, while
> you wait... and you don't wait long at all.

[View Quote]

ferruccio

Jan 8, 2004, 5:10am
active worlds is already capable of putting in reflections, it could be a
performance option, so those with good computers might be attracted to AW's
nice reflections. it could possibly be a command "create reflection
(texture name)" which puts a texture that the object should reflect
[View Quote]

tony m

Jan 8, 2004, 5:25am
WorldsPlayer (worlds.com) uses an old version of RenderWare, and it's capable rendering a mirror. It's not a bot trick, or any special object arrangement -- it is a full-blown mirror that behaves just like its real-life couterpart. If Worlds can do this with an ancient version of RW, certainly AW can do it with RW 3+...

[View Quote] > oo.. and mirrors/reflections would be nice too, but i know its already been wished, but we need them.

dark thorium

Jan 8, 2004, 1:32pm
Yeah, I had wished for them myself at some point in the very distant past,
but as I got thinking about it more and more.. Why would you *really* want
mirrors in the first place? They're pretty, yes, but for the difficulty of
implementing reflections in a 3D engine that doesn't divide space into rooms
(an indoor engine)... there are other ways to get your stuff pretty..

"scuz" <webmaster at awscape.com> wrote in
news:3ffc6642 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I dont know about you, but I have never seen a game with dynamic
> content that has shadows. All the ones I have seen, the shadows are
> put in before hand.

You probably haven't seen a game for a few years either, then.

KAH

alexthemartian

Jan 10, 2004, 6:06pm
yeah, anyone who plays video games would notice many cool games use
RenderWare in a more advanced way then AW, like Grand Theft Auto 3/Vice
City for example... now imagine if AW looked like that.

[View Quote]

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Jan 10, 2004, 6:10pm
[View Quote] Yes... what would I do with the excess of hookers and things that go boom.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideajuice.

alexthemartian

Jan 11, 2004, 8:28pm
YEAH! and i would also like to be able to run over avatars :P