Make AW in delphi (Wishlist)

Make AW in delphi // Wishlist

1  2  3  |

nightwalker

Feb 17, 2001, 4:47pm
Make AW in delphi
then the client can be ported to Linux to!
using kylix :)

- NightWalker
bjarte at opensourcegroup.de

agent1

Feb 17, 2001, 4:56pm
It wouldn't be any easier than porting the C version to Linux...

nightwalker

Feb 17, 2001, 5:45pm
much easier...

check out www.borland.com/kylix :)

much much easier

[View Quote]

agent1

Feb 17, 2001, 6:05pm
From the quick look I just got, it looks like a completely different language from Delphi. Anyway, why would you bother porting to another language when you could just as easily use C and a new version of Renderware?

john viper

Feb 17, 2001, 6:35pm
Its not very different. If Roland starts now he could learn Kylix in about
6 months and convert AW in like a second (Delphi is Borland's version of VB
except so much more powerful)

If he doesn't want to learn another language, he could start writing AW in
Borland C++Builder (which is more visual than Visual C++ anyway so it would
be quicker) and wait for C++ Kylix to be out in like 4 months (I think)

-John Viper, loving his Borland C++Builder 5 Pro ;-)

[View Quote]

rolu

Feb 17, 2001, 7:45pm
[View Quote] Delphi is based on Pascal, which is very different from VB, which is based
on Basic.

Converting something from one language to another *never* works like it
should. Certainly not for complex programs like AW.

> If he doesn't want to learn another language, he could start writing AW in
> Borland C++Builder (which is more visual than Visual C++ anyway so it
would
> be quicker) and wait for C++ Kylix to be out in like 4 months (I think)

It's not the language that is the problem, it's the OS specific system calls
that are.

rolu

andras

Feb 17, 2001, 9:22pm
Delphi would be a nice choice _if_ RW libraries would be available in Borland format - which are not :(
Andras

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------35F12672BBFEB8F9F9E1555D

Aren't the RW libraries just automated imports of the DLL functions?
What about using "LoadLibrary()" in an own module instead? That should
work if you add an underscore in front of the function name, that's how
MS exports __stdcall functions.
That works fine in Watcom C and should work with Borland too I think.

andras schrieb:

> Delphi would be a nice choice _if_ RW libraries would be available in Borland format - which are not :(
> Andras

[View Quote] begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------35F12672BBFEB8F9F9E1555D--

john viper

Feb 17, 2001, 11:47pm
Drop RenderWare and use OpenGL :-)

-John

[View Quote]

myrth

Feb 18, 2001, 5:34am
3.2 will ADD OpenGL support, but not drop RW. :)

-Myrth

[View Quote]

nightwalker

Feb 18, 2001, 9:36am
I think opengl would be much better and more
supported, i've made a test program with
component pacakge name "GLScene" a very
powerfull collection of OpenGL components
for Delphi and later on for Kylix
yust check it out... www.glscene.org

I'm on to make a test program to show u that
u can make also lots of nice effects and interface
in delphi under windows and later under linux.
I think if we get a 3D chat program under linux
it will get many more users, cz there aint so
many 3D chat progams under linux after my
knowledge, and OpenGL is damn fast under
linux, and linux is more stable thought... and Free :)

- NightWalker
bjarte at opensourcegroup.de

nightwalker

Feb 18, 2001, 9:39am
Yes they are, yust dll calls

[View Quote]

lanezeri

Feb 18, 2001, 1:27pm
First.. this post has absolutely no point in even bein in the NG.. they have
wasted all their time in making it in C++ why the hell would they change it
now? HamFon and Roland prolly know more th an C++ but if they didn't they
would be screwed.. secondly.. that would mean years of new code.. and
third.. why do you people need to run it in Linux anyway? Hacking someone?
If not.. u dont need it in Linux.. and if ur hosting a company.. u need to
get a new computer.. most people who host have at least 2 computers..

35850 !

Feb 18, 2001, 1:49pm
*ahem* because Windows is one of the worst pieces of software ever sold.

And, just so you know, you can just as easily 'hack someone' with Windows --
it just makes it slightly more inconvenient. Hell, taking down another
average user is about the easiest thing you can do.

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------F360A4DA24AF28E081A2DCF2

So Linux is a hackers system? I just ported some windows DLLs and test
environment to AIX and Unix (shared libs) as my customer wanted to have
the things on a reliable OS - it is an insurance company and I don't
think they will use their Linux for hacking.

I will not write here what I think about most newer microsoft products
but I would like to have OpenGL support to be able to run AW on my
quite(!) reliable (after 5 patches) NT4

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------F360A4DA24AF28E081A2DCF2--

wing

Feb 18, 2001, 3:25pm
Windows may be the worst piece of software sold, but can you explain why I
never noticed any problems, no crashes, nothing after a single Windows
session lasting 14 days with the computer in constant use doing SOMTHING
(either I was on it or it was processing SETI at Home data) until I installed a
game and rebooted? In my opinion, Windows is only worth the computer you put
it on. If it's a name brand computer, you're probably going to experience
problems because *GASP* you never install a fresh copy of Windows, only a
pre-prepared copy on your company's restore disk along with a million other
software titles. Default Windows files are sacraficed for proprietary
version. However, if you go for your own home brewed system, as long as the
hardware doesnt have any problems, you should be completely stable.
Another anti-Linux arguement is the fact that virtually no major programs
like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, all the buisiness essentials are ported to
Linux.

Not that Linux is 100% bad or anything. It's just not mainstreamed yet and
since no company is behind it to assure it isn't going to change
drastically, developers will be slow to make programs for it. It's great for
things like servers, that I agree on. Windows 9x (including ME for you
lamers who think it's not basically Windows 99) and Windows NT (Including
2000 for those of you who are total idiots and think it's part of the 9x
line) are pathetic excuses for server OS'es.

Honestly, do we need to bring the 10 year old MaStUr HaX0rS that live and
breathe Linux to AW? The paranoid ones among us would be running around in a
complete panic because 5 people just threatened to hack their computer
because they can't build. I just say "Go right ahead, but if by any chance
you succeed I have your location right here to give the FBI Cyber Crimes
division. That makes the little hax0rs shuddup and go lay in bed and cry
every time.
--
Wing
This little spot is dedicated to my girl, Jessie.
bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]

nova n@n.com

Feb 18, 2001, 4:09pm
Linux isnt just for hacking its for any one who wants to have total control
over their puter with out the bugs asociated with windows.
I my self dont use linux for one simple reason i do 3d work in true space
and 3dstudio max for use in aw inviros and for out side projects true space
and max will not work in linux with out loading vmaware and loading windows
as a virt machine.
but for a very long time i did use a replacement shell called lite step
witch made your desk top look like you was useing linux and saved a ton of
mem and general resorces use aprox half that that explorer does.
as for what some one said bout getting open gl in aw i think that will be
great and excuse the limted use of cap letter backs killing me and im not
paying a huge amount of atention to caps and periods etc

[View Quote]

nova n@n.com

Feb 18, 2001, 4:13pm
heheh ive been threatoned with that a few times im going to hack you o ok
let me do sometyhing here real fast (this is when i was in laxxun) clik icon
for xnet stat change my av to one served off my hd hit relog on hit xnet
stat
here hackor heres your ip 24.13.201.93
hacker leaves
hey why you run for :)
[View Quote]

andras

Feb 18, 2001, 4:13pm
You are both wrong. RW3 doesn't uses DLLs any longer but the libraries are linked with the application.
Andras

[View Quote]

nightwalker

Feb 18, 2001, 7:33pm
ey dude check your c:\%windows%\ folder
you will find lots of rw dlls....
they yust putted it elsewhere... u think they
can put in a perfect rw in 1.4 mb?
not...

- NightWalker

[View Quote]

nightwalker

Feb 18, 2001, 7:35pm
that what linux is about...

btw... Windows => Beta ware :)
belive me, i've used most Windows versions and none
are good.... come to linux people! Here it rox!

www.linux.com !

- NightWalker

[View Quote]

nightwalker

Feb 18, 2001, 7:50pm
Who to make AW in delpih?
Simply

get Delphi or Kylix at www.borland.com/delphi / www.borland.com/kylix
then download the nice components we are going to use :)
GLScene, for OpenGL: www.glscene.org awsome! AMD 3D Now! support, :)
then a nice Package of powerfull internet servers and clients:
INDY: http://www.nevrona.com/Indy
then we might get a nice mp3 player...
XAudio: http://www.xaudio.com/ yust as fast calls as WinAmp ;)
then we get this nice component to make Lot of graphics support
http://www.lischke-online.de/Graphics.html#GraphicEx
supports:
a.. TIFF images (*.tif; *.tiff)
b.. GFI fax images (*.fax)
c.. SGI images (*.bw, *.rgb, *.rgba, *.sgi)
d.. Autodesk images files (*.cel; *.pic)
e.. Truevision images (*.tga; *.vst; *.icb; *.vda; *.win)
f.. ZSoft Paintbrush images (*.pcx, *.pcc; *.scr)
g.. Kodak Photo-CD images (*.pcd)
h.. Portable pixel/gray map images (*.ppm, *.pgm, *.pbm)
i.. Dr. Halo images (*.cut, *.pal)
j.. CompuServe images (*.gif)
k.. SGI Alias/Wavefront images (*.rla, *.rpf)
l.. Standard Windows bitmap images (*.bmp, *.rle, *.dib)
m.. Photoshop images (*.psd, *.pdd)
n.. Paintshop Pro images (*.psp)
o.. Portable network graphic images (*.png)

this is why i like delphi, all this is free, except the compiler...
but u can get a free pascal compiler at www.freepascal.org

then we mix it together in a nice program collection:

1. A client
3D etc..
http client
ftp client
mp3 player
etc..
2. A world server
Object db
etc..
3. A universe server
Nick db
World db
etc..

and then use your model path...

Happy making :)
or you can yust wait a few weeks and ill have the first Beta out :)

- NightWalker

nightwalker

Feb 18, 2001, 7:53pm
Should be How in that subject line :)
Shit outlook :)

lanezeri

Feb 18, 2001, 8:16pm
Linux was made for hacking.. do some research.. it's the OS "Made for
hackers, by hackers." Windows has a better GUI than Linux.. so what do u
do? Get a job.. wait for Win Whistler to be released and buy it.. or.. wait
till a buddy of mine releases a tutor that lets u run Windows over Linux..
and if Windows sucks so much.. why is every computer preloaded with it?

j b e l l

Feb 18, 2001, 8:37pm
ya.. windows ME has been great to me... the only problems i've had with it
were RAM problems (ram problems can cause a lot of crashes.. ppl blame
software for a lot of problems when it's often hardware).. but as soon as I
fixed that it's yet to crash on me..

--

J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

[View Quote]

j b e l l

Feb 18, 2001, 8:38pm
btw.. seti at home is cool... i don't have it yet on this comp.. mind giving me
the url?

--

J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------6AD7271BE6E8902BF3418122

Continue sleeping and ignoring the facts.
Sure the look and feel of windows is nice, that's why it was so
successfull. But that is the only thing that you are right about.
Wrong is that linux is a hacker thing, right it is students work.
Wrong is that every computer is preloaded with it, right is that more
and more companies give you the choice.
Another fact that might be new to you is that more and more companies
decide to have their software running on Linux. It starts with web based
applications and E-business stuff and goes from there to other business
stuff.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------6AD7271BE6E8902BF3418122--

35850 !

Feb 18, 2001, 9:44pm
The problem with Windows isn't instability. It's a horrible interface
coupled with Microsoft's "it'll work if it feels like it" style of coding as
well as the worst handling of memory imaginable and a horrid lack of
customizability.

[View Quote] Oh, don't whine at me about that. I assure you I've put together more
systems than you.

> Not that Linux is 100% bad or anything. It's just not mainstreamed yet and
> since no company is behind it to assure it isn't going to change
> drastically, developers will be slow to make programs for it. It's great
for
> things like servers, that I agree on. Windows 9x (including ME for you
> lamers who think it's not basically Windows 99) and Windows NT (Including
> 2000 for those of you who are total idiots and think it's part of the 9x
> line) are pathetic excuses for server OS'es.

They're also pathetic excuses for OS's of any type. They can't fit the bill
as gaming OS's (bad memory management, generally poor performance), can't
run servers (duh), can't do graphics (at least, not well -- get too many
things happening at once, and the problems with Windows become apparent.
You'll see it die before your eyes unless you have a real powerhouse of a
system), and they can't even be good "computer newbie" OS's, since most
(stupid) people can't even find their way through it enough to make
everything work correctly, and are likely to fuck it up entirely (that's
when they pay me way too much to fix it, if I feel like it).

I'm not saying Linux is the answer, either; Linux may have some major
advantages over Windows as far as stability as a server OS, customizability,
and efficiency, but it's supported by virtually nothing and generally more
trouble than it's worth. At the moment, Windows IS the best option for most
of us. That doesn't make it good, though. Not in the least.

The problem is that the only way to get your OS supported is to be a large
company (in other words, to have money). Well, Microsoft is a large company,
which also almost requires them to be complete idiots. Don't say that's not
the case, either. If they had any sense they would stop rebuilding the same
kernel over and over. Hell, if they had any sense they'd nuke all the old
Windows code and start over.

> Honestly, do we need to bring the 10 year old MaStUr HaX0rS that live and
> breathe Linux to AW? The paranoid ones among us would be running around in
> complete panic because 5 people just threatened to hack their computer
> because they can't build. I just say "Go right ahead, but if by any chance
> you succeed I have your location right here to give the FBI Cyber Crimes
> division. That makes the little hax0rs shuddup and go lay in bed and cry
> every time.

Your "1337 h4x0r" types are usually irritating 12-16 year old kids with
their family's Win9x machine and using lame little DoS apps, actually. I
used to own a warez site for some extra cash, the place was swarming with
the stupid little things. For the most part, unix-like OS's are too tricky
for dimwits like that. Besides, most kids running linux just downloaded
redhat and don't even know how to secure their own systems, let alone go
after other people. Technically, anyone who's a real hacker probably
already works as a sysadmin or the office security guy... that's really all
they're good for.

35850[GloK]

beardo

Feb 18, 2001, 9:47pm
Here it is; http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

/Beardo

[View Quote]

agent1

Feb 18, 2001, 9:50pm
AW uses a library that's statically linked to the executable, and therefor doesn't need the .DLL files to operate anymore. Most of those DLLs that you are finding in your Windows directory are most likely from programs that dump them there and not from AW.

1  2  3  |