Make AW in delphi (Wishlist)

Make AW in delphi // Wishlist

1  2  3  |

agent1

Feb 18, 2001, 9:53pm
Let's see...

[View Quote] If that quote is even from anyone reputable, it still doesn't mean that the Linux OS(es) are made "for hacking". People were tired of having to use someone else's OS, so they made their own. The fact that it was made by people with higher understanding of computer hardware doesn't mean it's a "hacking OS".

>Windows has a better GUI than Linux.. so what do u
> do? Get a job.. wait for Win Whistler to be released and buy it.. or.. wait
> till a buddy of mine releases a tutor that lets u run Windows over Linux..
> and if Windows sucks so much.. why is every computer preloaded with it?

Every computer is NOT preloaded with Windows. There are plenty of Macs without windows. How about the large computer distributors offering a version of Linux as an alternative to Windows?

-Agent1

j b e l l

Feb 18, 2001, 10:04pm
thx

--

J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

[View Quote]

j b e l l

Feb 18, 2001, 10:10pm
WOW! Seti is fast! ..at least with a 1ghz processor it is.. i used to have
it on my other comp which was a 336 (blech) but now it just flies.. i'm
already to where it took me like a day to do.. lol..

--

J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

[View Quote]

andras

Feb 18, 2001, 11:00pm
You are wrong too :)
AW browser does NOT uses and doesn't install any RW dlls. Yes - they were able to put in a perfect RW into 1.1 MB.
Andras

[View Quote]

builderz

Feb 18, 2001, 11:55pm
According the magazine Maximum PC, Linux was first made by a college
student named Linus Torvalds in 1991 and released to the mainstream
public in 1994. Last I've heard, it is estimated that 90% of the worlds'
computers are running either Microsoft Windows and/or a product by
Microsoft. I don't have much experience with Linux, but from what I
gather, it is aimed more at the hacking crowd than is Windows. Most
applications for Linux are free, which I'm sure most script kiddies and
true hackers alike enjoy. Let's just say that it has good port scanning
ability. ;o) One thing's for sure...its that Linux is geared mainly for
the power user crowd. New Red Hat distros have aided users in setting it
up and installing it, but not every average Windows user will be
comfortable using it.

Builderz
Stuff-X
http://www.stuffx.com/aw/

[View Quote]

wing

Feb 19, 2001, 12:56am
It takes >6 hours to do a complete dataset with GUI disabled on a Duron
700 at 950.

--
Wing
This little spot is dedicated to my girl, Jessie.
bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]

wing

Feb 19, 2001, 1:00am
The interface is decent, minus all the "My" shit (Heh, I just rename that
stuff), I've never experienced anything that could be blamed of "it'll work
if it feels like it" with this particular computer. Admitted, the memory
management is HORRIBLE, I get nothing except Windows out of my 64mb (HEH.
Why do I always end up with only 64mb) without going to vram and I find it
very customizable with the appropriate GUI extensions. In fact, I can now
encrypt and decrypt files with everything up to 1024 bit encoding with a
simple click.

bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]

nightwalker

Feb 19, 2001, 3:42pm
hehe
Windows is getting faster and crashing faster....
Windows is the most (i think) unstable OS on the
market, windows totaly sux, why?
Reason:
Microsoft has a bad policy:
- They must deliver programs fast to the users and it has
to be a faster program and a program with more functions
The result of this fast delivering pressure is: BUGS!
Lots of BUGS, not lilte bugs, but HUGE BUGS!

That is why linux is better, is made by users, can be editied
by users and made for the user.

And if someone goes around thinking "Oh my, I wont use Linux,
oh no, thats a hacker system".
Well your wrong, only reason why u call it a hackersystem is that
hackers use it, cz you can do what u want under linux, and over on
windows where you sit and bang you hands in the PC over every
blue screen you get and error messages... Hackers use linux, cz
they are smart enough to see that it is a very good and _controlable_
system!

Thoes of you who think linux is a hacker system might take a look on
the following links and _read_ them, so u can see that linux is not a
hackersystem, its a system where you are behind the wheel and not
locked up in a box in the celler, like in windows......!

www.linux.com
www.suse.com
www.redhat.com
www.slackware.com
www.mandrake.com
www.linuxnewbie.com

- NightWalker

wing

Feb 19, 2001, 3:47pm
Windows 98 SE is 100% controllable, 100% customizable and 101% stable if you
know how to work the system. Of course, the security holes in the companion
software leaves a lot to be desired, as does the sheer size of it all. And
the fact that instead of using Windows Explorer, we use Internet Explorer to
browse our hard drives now.

bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]

nightwalker

Feb 19, 2001, 3:55pm
100% customizable ?
its like 0.1% customizable in case of Linux...
u cant change the name of the os...
u cant change the kernel
u cant set what is going to be started (and i mean all of it)

Hehehe if u see linux, damn, you will never use windows again
(except for AW :)

- NightWalker

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------28D997B27A001506C0175780

The kernel ??? Why should you want to change something that doesn't
really exist? If 98 had a kernel that is separate and protected from the
application layer (at least in non-maintenance mode/admin) it could be
more reliable and stable.

nightwalker schrieb:

> 100% customizable ?
> its like 0.1% customizable in case of Linux...
> u cant change the name of the os...
> u cant change the kernel
> u cant set what is going to be started (and i mean all of it)
>
> Hehehe if u see linux, damn, you will never use windows again
> (except for AW :)
>
> - NightWalker
--------------28D997B27A001506C0175780

begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------28D997B27A001506C0175780--

lanezeri

Feb 19, 2001, 7:23pm
You know exactly what I mean.. most Dell or Compaq computer is preloaded
with windows.. you dont see many commercials promoting a Dell or Compaq with
Mac OS do ya?

lanezeri

Feb 19, 2001, 7:25pm
Ouch.. and you know Bz is right.. and I have a PC Mag at a friends house..
it talks about Linux.. Slackware can run up to 9 CPU's.. why would someone
need to run that many CPU's if they didn't hack? Windows sucks.. I know it
does.. it supports 1 CPU.. but Windows has a lot better GUI than any other
OS (Mac has an "ok" GUI) that is why it is preferred..

rolu

Feb 19, 2001, 7:37pm
[View Quote] Why would you need that many CPU's to hack?

I know plenty of reasons to have more than one CPU. Most of them involve
either server tasks (if you have 25 people working on the computer, it can
help if you have more than one CPU) or very CPU intensive tasks that can be
easily distributed (rendering pictures, chemistry simulations, for example).

> Windows sucks.. I know it
> does.. it supports 1 CPU.. but Windows has a lot better GUI than any other
> OS (Mac has an "ok" GUI) that is why it is preferred..

Sure... most people think "if it looks good, it must be good". Unfortunately
that isn't true. But those people have no other way to measure how good it
is, since they don't understand the inner stuff. Luckily Linux is catching
up with Windows on the GUI part.

rolu

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------E8AA4553D033F10DCF679F6A

never rely only on commercials :

The AlphaServer ES40 system supports Compaq Tru64 UNIX, OpenVMS, and the
Linux operating systems.
(taken from http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/news/celera_hgp_0201.html)

Supports OpenVMS, Tru64 UNIX, and Linux.
(http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/workstations/index.html)

RED HAT SOFTWARE - REDHAT LINUX V7.0 CROM - $27.95 - In Stock
(found via http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/search.asp)

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------E8AA4553D033F10DCF679F6A--

lanezeri

Feb 19, 2001, 7:46pm
I wont even get into it all.. just drop it..

--
- = [ T e c h n o ] = -
http://wt.s5.com

lanezeri

Feb 19, 2001, 7:48pm
But I never said the computers wouldn't ever be loaded with Linux.. I said
MOST of them are preloaded with Windows.. for the reason.. some dont know
what Linux is.. and for the reason they dont want Linux..

--
- = [ T e c h n o ] = -
http://wt.s5.com

lanezeri

Feb 19, 2001, 7:49pm
Old post but.. Outlook has nothing to do with your typing skills.. you typed
who in the message too..
--
- = [ T e c h n o ] = -
http://wt.s5.com

nightwalker

Feb 19, 2001, 7:56pm
dont disclude SGI,
they have linux and their own (or SUNs' ?) operating system
www.sgi.com

[View Quote]

nightwalker

Feb 19, 2001, 8:09pm
like you want something to be improved in it.....

and why they make linux:
do u think they can have windows on this server, no it would crash every
secound:

SGI Origin 3800

Processors: 16-512 using 4-processor C-bricks
System bandwidth: Up to 716 GB/sec
Maximum memory: 1 TB
Router type: 8-port
Base I/O: I-brick
Additional I/O: I-brick, P-brick, X-brick, D-brick

Windows is going to dream if they want to have their software up and running
on one off these..! They have a total own system, MIPS® and IRIX®,
so i u dont like linux, well let me tell ya....
- Most activeworlds servers run on linux
- Most webservers and IPS run their software on linux

for example, http://www.euronet.nl they run all their servers on FreeBSD
(Unix)
(wich linux is build on ... unix...). So Linux = 99.9% uptime windows is....
na...
a damn much less. Our Windows 2000 Advance Server was so buggy that our
system
admin was about to kick it way to the moon, it was so f**king unstable....
every time there was a problem... and now we are talking about a middle size
server....
for 90 students PCs..... Man... i sure lagged like hell!

- NightWalker

agent1

Feb 19, 2001, 8:12pm
Mac OS doesn't run on Intel (etc) machines, if I recall correctly.

agent1

Feb 19, 2001, 8:13pm
Too lazy to prove yourself wrong?

agent1

Feb 19, 2001, 8:14pm
[View Quote] Can you say data processing? Also, if Windows sucks so much, why are you using it to send newsgroup posts (unless OE runs on non-Windows OSes).

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------D523F5124B2195873E8604FA

I already worked on a blue SGI dome (WS) with Linux but I didn't want to
collect all companies, else I would have been flamed because of a too
large post. I just referred to the two that were mentioned. IBM offers
Linux as platform too since few years (at least in germany), SNI always
had Unix/Sinix. Several german assemblers and resellers offer Linux as
an option - the list would be long.

My only problem with Linux is that I tend to start it in runlevel 2 ;)

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------D523F5124B2195873E8604FA--

wing

Feb 19, 2001, 8:42pm
MacOS can't, they don't make drivers for PC hardware on MacOS. Plus, it's
very specific. It needs to detect a moterola CPU or it doesn't boot.

bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]

lanezeri

Feb 19, 2001, 9:12pm
I don't like running Linux all the time.. is that my fault? I like
windows.. it sux tho.. it crashes.. Linux is stable.. I prefer it.. but I
don't like the GUI.. I run Slackware Linux, Windows 2000, and Windows ME on
my computer.. I prefer Linux for somethings.. Win2000 for programming.. and
ME for just anything else..

--
- = [ T e c h n o ] = -
http://wt.s5.com

wing

Feb 19, 2001, 9:17pm
I can't see myself living without Windows. For one, since I have so many
systems and the phone lines here are above ground and struck by lightning
quite frequently, I use cheezy Winmodems for my internet connections (I've
fried 5 modems in one night.) The Kernel doesn't exist so you can't really
change it. Why would you want to rename an OS unless you're going to release
it anyway? And I'm not quite sure what you mean by "what is going to be
started." When I get a full scale server running, Linux will be the OS of
choice however. Dual boot with Win2k on a secondary drive (For testing
purposes ONLY)

bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]

andras

Feb 19, 2001, 10:05pm
[View Quote] Excuse me??? So I'm running on a single CPU?? Did I spend so much money on a quad motherboard without using it?? I doubt :) NT (W2K too) runs on up to 8 CPUs.

> but Windows has a lot better GUI than any other
> OS (Mac has an "ok" GUI) that is why it is preferred..

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------92489D9ABEC04450B5116B48

You must be a hacker, only hackers have more than one CPU in a PC

[View Quote] begin:vcard
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------92489D9ABEC04450B5116B48--

wing

Feb 19, 2001, 11:26pm
*shrug* I had 2 CPUs in a PC at one time. I bought a combo slot1/fcpga board
and stuck a CPU on both. Of course, no matter the OS, only one worked.

bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]