Telegram Rediction To Email Address (Wishlist)

Telegram Rediction To Email Address // Wishlist

1  |

=?iso-8859-1?q?eep=b2?=

Jul 22, 1998, 3:06pm
Thought this would be neat: if the person isn't in AW when a telegram is
sent, have it automatically rerouted to the email address (as stated in
the citizen options) and sent as an email (duh). Of course this should
be togglable.

aule

Jul 22, 1998, 3:53pm
Now this is not only a great idea but would make it possible to remove
the telegram traffic from the server!

[View Quote]

rehabber

Jul 22, 1998, 3:59pm
What a cool idea. You could have the option of sending it through AW,
email, or just canceling it.

[View Quote]

edward sumerfield

Jul 22, 1998, 4:23pm
The telegram system needs to be updated to a full mail client. They are
already embedding explorer in the right hand window. When you click the
telegram button it would just switch over to a mail control instead. It
would talk to an smtp server to send things out and poll a pop3 server to
read telegrams in. A simple, already coded semi-bug free protocol that
everyone knows and loves.

I put this wish in with another thread but it sounds like you are coming
around to it here as well.

Edward Sumerfield, esumerfd at msn.com
http://members.xoom.com/esumerfd

[View Quote]

=?iso-8859-1?q?eep=b2?=

Jul 22, 1998, 5:57pm
I never saw that message, but I just found it; sorry for repeating your idea.

[View Quote] > The telegram system needs to be updated to a full mail client. They are
> already embedding explorer in the right hand window. When you click the
> telegram button it would just switch over to a mail control instead. It
> would talk to an smtp server to send things out and poll a pop3 server to
> read telegrams in. A simple, already coded semi-bug free protocol that
> everyone knows and loves.
>
> I put this wish in with another thread but it sounds like you are coming
> around to it here as well.

grover

Jul 22, 1998, 6:43pm
I dunno.. POP3 has it's strong points, but I don't think it's necessarily the
best possible use for AW. If we want to email someone, we already have a POP
email client embedded into MSIE, which is already supported by AW. But email is
too clumsy an interface for telegrams, imho. ICQ has an excellent setup that has
nothing to do with email! It's that sort of configuration, plus improvements,
that I'd like to see in aw. For instance, how about rtf messages with unlimited
length? And i'd still like to be able to push that telegram window aside to type
in the main window ;-)

grover

[View Quote] > I never saw that message, but I just found it; sorry for repeating your idea.

[View Quote]

alex

Jul 22, 1998, 7:05pm
Wew hundreds of emails to read....
I'll hate that.
Have you ever had your email adress caugth by spammers and on a mailing list
?

Alex

Eep² a écrit dans le message <35B61C2E.EB36CD86 at tnlc.com>...
>Thought this would be neat: if the person isn't in AW when a telegram is
>sent, have it automatically rerouted to the email address (as stated in
>the citizen options) and sent as an email (duh). Of course this should
>be togglable.

edward sumerfield

Jul 22, 1998, 7:58pm
The issue is not so much the interface, you can build your own front end.
After all, if you are going to implement telegrams then you are
implementing, not only a custom interface but also a proprietary protocol.
People are now asking for features that are already built into mail systems.
If you want to modify the interface a little to make it more AWB friendly
that shouldn't be a problem.

MSIE doesn't actually have a mail client embedded. It uses the windows
default mail client interface to activate it.

You say we already have mail but we don't have the mail addresses of anyone
we talk to. The universe server with its nice little list of people has all
that information. An AW mail interface would bridge that gap.

My original thought was along the lines of extending the 3d experience to
mail reading. It would be cool to be able to put your mail onto a sign
object with a next and previous button. This may be a little enthusiastic to
start with but building a tighter coupling between the browser and the mail
protocols would be a great first step.

Edward Sumerfield, esumerfd at msn.com
http://members.xoom.com/esumerfd

[View Quote]

=?iso-8859-1?q?eep=b2?=

Jul 22, 1998, 9:37pm
Sure, but since "spammers" in AW could telegram you to death ANYWAY, I don't see
a problem with having the option to "spam" an email address too. Anyway, it was
just a thought in case people don't visit AW that much they can still get urgent
messages from people who don't know their email address or whatever. <shrug> It
could always be configurable similar to how the join request works where only
people on one's contact list would have the option of sending the telegram
through email, or something...

[View Quote] > Wew hundreds of emails to read.... I'll hate that. Have you ever had your
> email adress caugth by spammers and on a mailing list?
>
> Eep² a écrit dans le message <35B61C2E.EB36CD86 at tnlc.com>...

grover

Jul 22, 1998, 10:07pm
Hmm... actually what you're talking about seems more like a plugin than just a
revamp of the AW browser. Perhaps when the api gets out something like this will be
within reach? *i'll* certainly be wanting one!! <g>

grover

[View Quote] > Sure, but since "spammers" in AW could telegram you to death ANYWAY, I don't see
> a problem with having the option to "spam" an email address too. Anyway, it was
> just a thought in case people don't visit AW that much they can still get urgent
> messages from people who don't know their email address or whatever. <shrug> It
> could always be configurable similar to how the join request works where only
> people on one's contact list would have the option of sending the telegram
> through email, or something...

[View Quote]

fac

Jul 31, 1998, 7:13pm
be nice if it could be re routed to icq via the ICQ web pager, which can be VERY
easily done

[View Quote] > Wew hundreds of emails to read....
> I'll hate that.
> Have you ever had your email adress caugth by spammers and on a mailing list
> ?
>
> Alex
>
> Eep² a écrit dans le message <35B61C2E.EB36CD86 at tnlc.com>...

technozeus

Aug 6, 1998, 12:57am
Using ICQ's web pager feature would be a nice option, but e-mail could also
be a good option if it was done right. For example, "Convert Old Telegrams
to E-Mail" could be set to any of "Off, Short term, Medium term, or Long
term" where such settings would decide the upper and lower limits on the
amount of time since you have been in the universe (or galaxy) where the
messages are stored, the number of messages waiting, and the amount of space
they take up. When a sent message or periodic check caused the Uniserver
to recognize the conditions associated with the selected setting, it would
compile an e-mail message containing all waiting telegrams, and send it out
to the selected e-mail address. A flag would then be set to notify the user
upon returning to that universe about the fact that temegrams had been sent
to them by the uniserver via e-mail while they were gone.

TechnoZeus