what the hell... (Community)

what the hell... // Community

1  2  |

the derek

Jul 22, 2004, 5:44am
ok this is an excerpt from a chat i had last night... i was trying to
explain aw to someone when there was no gk on duty in awgate

The Derek: ejections only eject you form a particular world for a set amount
of time
"ladieluck": no Derek and whom ever.. I just today went into a few 3D
prgograms that were much better... I think
The Derek: like if i just started swearing like crazy and got ejected i
could still go into all the other worlds, and after a certain amount of
time, even come back to this one
"ladieluck": what is the amount of money to be here? say for yr
The Derek: ratings are for the world content
"ladieluck": amou nt
The Derek: i think its 60 something or 6.95 a month
"ladieluck": JJM
"ladieluck": You are kidding me !!!
The Derek: i pay 5.95 a month to just use my xbox online
"ladieluck": I was in several otday that were not as much at all as that..
!!!!!!
"ShellyNut": hehe
"ladieluck": and they had LOTS ;more to offer!
"ladieluck": and too the gretting was much better
"digger": hi all
The Derek: im curous to hear a few
The Derek: the greeting here is usually better when a gatekeeper is on duty
"ladieluck": I visdited There . com as my grand son wanted me too
"ladieluck": visited...
"ladieluck": but you siad a GK was a person that ekects?
"ladieluck": ejects?
The Derek: only if someone is out of order
"ladieluck": looking at your tab worlds
The Derek: second life charges 70 a year, more than that if you want land
"ladieluck": oh mne
"ladieluck": me
Immigration Officer: Welcome to Tours if no Guide is present, please try one
of our selfguided tours located West of where you entered Tours. To the East
are teleports to all the worlds open to Tourists. If you need assistance
email us at awguides at activeworlds.com
[Customs Aide]: Welcome, The Derek. For the Conduct Guidelines please say
World Rules or see http://www.activeworlds.com/community/conduct.asp
Immigration Officer: Welcome to the AWGate. Much of the content in Active
Worlds is user generated & may not be appropriate for all users. Setting
your browser rating level can improve your enjoyment of AW by reducing your
exposure to offensive content. Enjoy your stay :)
[Customs Aide]: Welcome, The Derek. For the Conduct Guidelines please say
World Rules or see http://www.activeworlds.com/community/conduct.asp
"ladieluck": but they have alot more.. I think
"ShellyNut": what is this music from?
"angelcorpse": the place
The Derek: second life has better graphics...but you cant have as much room
to build-not nearly
"ladieluck": he has 2nd life..
The Derek: how much does there.com cost?
[Customs Aide]: You have been ejected for unacceptable language
Immigration Officer: You have been ejected from awgate

the derek

Jul 22, 2004, 5:46am
just as a sidenote.. i was watching the gate for a gk who was about to come
on duty... and aw has no-doubtedly lost this customer for good... (you would
have to see entire chat log to fully understand why)
[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Jul 22, 2004, 10:16am
I believe you can't openly say .exe or .com in a sentence, due to the
ability to pass trojans, etc, from web urls. I think you can whisper them
but not say them out loud. So if you want to do an url, perhaps say

there. com? LOL

LNH

andras

Jul 22, 2004, 11:12am
[View Quote] > just as a sidenote.. i was watching the gate for a gk who was about to come
> on duty... and aw has no-doubtedly lost this customer for good... (you would
> have to see entire chat log to fully understand why)

Reading through the chat - this person was not really new to the Gate !
She knew about the limitation of ejecting people who type any URL into the chat line <which of course you forgot> :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

elyk

Jul 22, 2004, 12:47pm
You can say some .com's in a sentence there. I tested this out last
night with one of the GK's. The bot ejects for there.com but not a lot
of others. Maybe they programmed it to eject for competiting product
urls? lol ;P

[View Quote] > I believe you can't openly say .exe or .com in a sentence, due to the

--
Elyk
kfoerst at sbcglobal.net

jerme

Jul 22, 2004, 1:02pm
Can you give an example of a URL that doesn't get you ejected?

-J

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner / Webmaster
JTech Web Systems
www.JTechWebSystems.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34

[View Quote]

count dracula

Jul 22, 2004, 1:05pm
I never realized that there.com is unacceptable language. I knew about the
so called F-word , I must update my list.

I wonder if activeworlds.com also is unacceptable, because if so the bot
will need to eject itself.

I guess this paranoia has really gotten into virtual reality also. One have
to eject people because they might do something harmful. I guess some day
one can enter the gate if one say absolutely nothing, but as soon as one say
something one become a treat and need to be ejected. Pre-emptive cause I
guess it is called, when one justify ones evil things.

"the derek" <thederekdispose-newsgroups at yahoo.com> kirjoitti viestiss
news:40ff7061$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> [...]
> Worlds is user generated & may not be appropriate for all users. Setting
> your browser rating level can improve your enjoyment of AW by reducing
your
> exposure to offensive content. Enjoy your stay :)
> [Customs Aide]: Welcome, The Derek. For the Conduct Guidelines please say
> World Rules or see http://www.activeworlds.com/community/conduct.asp
> "ladieluck": but they have alot more.. I think
> "ShellyNut": what is this music from?
> "angelcorpse": the place
> The Derek: second life has better graphics...but you cant have as much
room
> to build-not nearly
> "ladieluck": he has 2nd life..
> The Derek: how much does there.com cost?
> [Customs Aide]: You have been ejected for unacceptable language
> Immigration Officer: You have been ejected from awgate

Jul 22, 2004, 1:55pm
Er.. I believe I tried everquest.com as well... Why, did you know of
others that got you ejected besides there.com?

[View Quote] > Can you give an example of a URL that doesn't get you ejected?

kfoerst at sbcglobal.net

the derek

Jul 22, 2004, 4:27pm
these will not get you ejected:
megadeath.com
hello.com
worlds.com
search engine urls etc..

these eject you:
there.com
secondlife.com

now im no genius... but aw CAN get into legal trouble with this, no?
[View Quote]

the derek

Jul 22, 2004, 4:35pm
these also wont eject you
worlds.net
onchat.com
outerworlds.com

LOL! gotta beat down the competition ^_^

-SWE

No they can't get into trouble as its effectivly stopping what you could
probably take as 'attempting to disrupt the day to day business operations
of a competing company' - effective sabotage if it worked, AWI is in their
rights to protect against it in their own worlds... but couldent actually
ban it universally due to free speech malarky.

- Mark R

[View Quote]

the derek

Jul 22, 2004, 7:11pm
well its official:
you now cannot say those words in aw either :P i ahve a chat log of E N Z O
testing it if anyone wants it :D
[View Quote]

the derek

Jul 22, 2004, 7:25pm
Operator: You have a telegram.

Telegram from E N Z O, sent just now:

worlds.net is so lame i dont ven care

lol

hahah, CEO with style.

- MR

Argh AW to???

There went the last public place in AW you could have a convo without a bot
thinking you were corrupting the minds of small innocent 10 year old
children (which of course probably know more profanity than most of us put
together - damned society! What ever happened to kids being like... 14
before they started learning all these swears...)

- Mark R

14? i remember knowing all about swearwords in grade 2! i wouldn't swear,
but still knew most of em, and the meaning :)

-SWE

lol, well none of the "featured" things have changed since i saw it like 2,
3, 4 years ago, so not gonna argue :) who would wanna see a hanson world! i
mean, hanssonn >_<

-SWE

[View Quote]

builderz

Jul 23, 2004, 8:37pm
So I guess Eep's history page is correct when it says that Rick didn't
work for Worlds, because if he did, he'd be dissing his old employer.

See the left side of http://www.tnlc.com/eep/aw/history.html for more info.

Builderz
http://www.3DHost.net

[View Quote] > Operator: You have a telegram.

> Telegram from E N Z O, sent just now:
>
> worlds.net is so lame i dont ven care

mauz

Jul 23, 2004, 9:36pm
[View Quote] Maybe E N Z O can clarify... The way I understand it is that
Worlds Inc. had Protagonist, Roland, Dataman etc, while E N Z O
was in Circle of Fire Studios with Shamus Young, Moria etc.
Worlds Inc asked CoF to work on the Yellowstone project.
Only Worlds Inc ditched AW later, so CoF bought it from them.

--
Mauz
http://mauz.info

www.th%65re.com

dum de dum de dum
tra la la...

Very bored, cant you tell?
All hail HTTP specs...

Although www.there.%63om isnt detected as a URL as it should be! Shame on
whoever made the parsing code...

Hint - Dont even think about blocking URLEncoded URL's, thats just degrading
the product!

- Mark R

lady nighthawk

Jul 23, 2004, 10:51pm
I've been to both worlds and aw as well as there but not second life ... of
all of those I still prefer aw! Why? Cause I can build here, I can make my
own objects and avs and use them here. I think for overall creativity aw
rocks.

I'm a beta member of there for that matter, it's nice but you need a stokin
graphics card to even use it (even though they've cut those requirements
down since beta), you can't make your own avs or objects but you can make
things *for the existing ones*. The avs look too cartoony for my taste, and
are too big for the screen. I am on the design team but as long as they're
gonna charge me (even in therebucks which cost real money) I'm not about to
pay them just to show my designs :o/! One of the things that rocks in there
is that you can ride / hover / fall offa / etc the vehicles, you can hop on,
ride, hop off. I also like my interactive doggy although having to say words
to get him to do anything is no fun, specially when he doesn't listen to me
:o/ ... stupid doggy LOL. I do my required two hours a month on there to
keep my *beta fee* active, but otherwise I don't go there much. From what I
can tell SL is similar to there, or so it seems from the screen shots.

I hear many AWers have gone there. But I also know that many that left aw
when they charged more, have since come back, even just as tourists. Use to
be a time when I refused to pay for a chat. I was a *palacer* (2D chat) for
four years prior to aw, then I got into a newer version of palace called
*manor* (2D chat). I still own my own palace and manor chats, but seldom go
to either anymore. I enjoyed both, but not to nearly the degree that I've
enjoyed aw this past year +. 3D rocks! So, if I get to cranky about aw's
flaws, just tell me "you can always go back to palace" LOL!

Just my thoughts...

LNH

builderz

Jul 24, 2004, 2:27am
I think you misunderstood us, Nighthawk. We were talking about the early
days of AW, before There and Second Life were ever launched to the
public in the first place. :)

However, since you brought them up... I was a beta tester of both Second
Life and There. I didn't like Second Life very much but did like There
for a few months (until I tired of it). However, if AW could add some
features from There (customizable avatars, usable vehicles, guns, voice
chat, etc.) I think it would really a lot of depth and "meat" to AW.

I also think E N Z O should "get with it" and set up an affiliate
program or give back to citizens who refer new users. Both Second Life
and There have programs like this. It would not only get AWI more
business, but would offset some of the complaints of high prices.

Builderz
http://www.3DHost.net

[View Quote] > I've been to both worlds and aw as well as there but not second life ... of
> all of those I still prefer aw! Why? Cause I can build here, I can make my
> own objects and avs and use them here. I think for overall creativity aw
> rocks.
>
> I'm a beta member of there for that matter, it's nice but you need a stokin
> graphics card to even use it (even though they've cut those requirements
> down since beta), you can't make your own avs or objects but you can make
> things *for the existing ones*. The avs look too cartoony for my taste, and
> are too big for the screen. I am on the design team but as long as they're
> gonna charge me (even in therebucks which cost real money) I'm not about to
> pay them just to show my designs :o/! One of the things that rocks in there
> is that you can ride / hover / fall offa / etc the vehicles, you can hop on,
> ride, hop off. I also like my interactive doggy although having to say words
> to get him to do anything is no fun, specially when he doesn't listen to me
> :o/ ... stupid doggy LOL. I do my required two hours a month on there to
> keep my *beta fee* active, but otherwise I don't go there much. From what I
> can tell SL is similar to there, or so it seems from the screen shots.
>
> I hear many AWers have gone there. But I also know that many that left aw
> when they charged more, have since come back, even just as tourists. Use to
> be a time when I refused to pay for a chat. I was a *palacer* (2D chat) for
> four years prior to aw, then I got into a newer version of palace called
> *manor* (2D chat). I still own my own palace and manor chats, but seldom go
> to either anymore. I enjoyed both, but not to nearly the degree that I've
> enjoyed aw this past year +. 3D rocks! So, if I get to cranky about aw's
> flaws, just tell me "you can always go back to palace" LOL!
>
> Just my thoughts...
>
> LNH

builderz

Jul 24, 2004, 2:28am
Strike, you really do need to get out more if you are trying to get by
the bot's URL filter by using this trick... ;)

Builderz
http://www.3DHost.net

[View Quote] > www.th%65re.com

> dum de dum de dum
> tra la la...
>
> Very bored, cant you tell?
> All hail HTTP specs...
>
> Although www.there.%63om isnt detected as a URL as it should be! Shame on
> whoever made the parsing code...
>
> Hint - Dont even think about blocking URLEncoded URL's, thats just degrading
> the product!

its no trick, simply HTTP specification (and you know how I hate MOST
specifications).

Therefore, it can never be banned, so why make yourself out to be paranoid
and afraid in the first place? Yer know a little inward pointing "AW is
Good" advertising wouldent go amiss! Whats the point in banning people from
mentioning your competators if your not even taking steps to enforce how
good your product is to your customers?

lioness.

Jul 24, 2004, 11:47pm
As LNH already knows, I spent a few months in Worlds and loved the avs. Its
a really kewl idea to not only be able to customize your av "on the fly" but
also to be able to save a bunch of them and use those avs in ANY world you
visit. The real working mirrors ROCK!!!! Of course the graphics are pretty
sucky in Worlds. So was the cheapo voice chat. Usually people used yahoo
voice chat while visiting Worlds. Now that AW has streaming video
capabilities, it wouldn't take much to totally blow Worlds out of the
proverbial water if AW also enabled the customizable avs (even if we
couldn't save them to use in other worlds) and the mirrors. If an ancient
program like Worlds can do it, I'm sure AW can, if they wanted to bad
enough. Not only would it attract more tourists (and returning ex-cits) but
it would be way ahead of the competition. There's no way places like Worlds,
2nd Life or There could offer so much (with those added features) for the
price of registration in AW. I was also a beta tester for There. It was
pretty neat to be able to ride on things. But the only way to build in There
is if you purchase a house object which is already planted somewhere,
whether you want that location or not. I thought it was pretty expensive to
buy something that you don't have any building rights to and for what
purpose? So a bunch of your friends can gather there? Heh! Heck I could just
as easily have a party on TOP of the ocean there (since its solid) and it
would be the same! All we'd do anyway is chat and maybe listen to some
tunes. Why pay so much for something you can't control? Why pay to be able
to share designs or "try" to sell av clothing? Pfffffffftttttt. After a
month of walking aimlessly around in There, I was completely bored. The only
redeeming feature besides being able to ride on things, were the emotions
that show on the av's faces. I visited Second Life once, saw how much they
charge for a year and saw that for that price you get limited land to build
on. That was all it took for me to decide not to go back. Same with some of
the AW spinoffs like Dreamland Park. I'm not dissing it at all. Just that
for 30 odd bucks a month USD, you only get a small piece of property to
build on and have to pay extra for more land, which is getting pretty sparce
cus its no way as large as Alphaworld.
Ok..... coming down from the soap-box now. Thanks for letting me spew.
;-"D

Tip: Paragraphs

- Mark R

lady nighthawk

Jul 25, 2004, 12:50am
I absolutely agree with ya hun, I got my *free cit* in worlds for 3 mths, +1
for being an AWer LOL, and after that I just didn't go back. It's laggy to
load at start, every time ... or so it was for me.

AW has *alot* of potential. Competition is good because they can perhaps
branch out into areas other chats are trying ... AW is well established so
it should do pretty good in some of these *new ideas* we're seeing in other
3D chats. Take something as simple as real mirrors ... worlds has that and
that's one of their kewlest features I think! I'm told aw could do this with
ease and has had this ability for ages. I loved walking by mirrors in worlds
and watching my av as I did so LOL. Small things amuse me. Take being able
to use your own modeled or purchased avs in any world ... simple concept and
it is done in other 3D chats ... so why not aw? You'd all know it's me, not
just by my name but because of my own unique avs (which now have my RL face
on em LOL). I'd love to be able to visit other worlds and *be me* ...
perhaps make it at least an option? OK someone's gonna tell me this belongs
in wishlist so ... I'm posting to both LOL.

1) Realistic Mirrors
2) My own avs in any worlds

AerHawk (hubby) and I were discussing whether or not we should renew Aeon
since it's due in a coupla weeks. The resounding answer is YES. I've spent a
heap of time in aw, I've worked hard on my world (and the d/l time proves it
LOL) ... it's an intense world and I love it dearly. I'd have withdrawals if
I had to stop now, even for a short time! AW rocks, no if ands or buts about
it!

The End (for now)...

LNH

hu