SWE Here is My Speech (Community)

SWE Here is My Speech // Community

1  |

.sharon

Jun 21, 2004, 1:50pm
Intercultural conflict is part of the reason we've been unsuccessful in the
Newsgroups. We're not only failing because of the international
miscommunication but we lack skills to forge ahead on an individual basis.
Our values and norms, thought processes and goals vary greatly. It would be
powerful to effectively overcome our differences.
Odds are that we will not have the direct experiences of one another.
Usually our own cultural identities are not even apparent to us until we
interact with others from different backgrounds. Our differences can feel
like threats at first. But aren't those differences less important than our
commonalities?
We tend to overlook our similarities far too often. Differences between
groups are far less than differences within groups so it would be logical to
say the same for our likenesses.
Cultures are always evolving especially when they interact with eachother.
We have the power to change the world right here in this platform. We're
the pioneers as BRO would say.

rossyboy

Jun 21, 2004, 2:04pm
In that case, since AW makes such a big thing out of the 4th of July, I
propose that we also celebrate the national holidays of every single
country in the world. ^_^

[View Quote] > Intercultural conflict is part of the reason we've been unsuccessful in the
> Newsgroups. We're not only failing because of the international
> miscommunication but we lack skills to forge ahead on an individual basis.
> Our values and norms, thought processes and goals vary greatly. It would be
> powerful to effectively overcome our differences.
> Odds are that we will not have the direct experiences of one another.
> Usually our own cultural identities are not even apparent to us until we
> interact with others from different backgrounds. Our differences can feel
> like threats at first. But aren't those differences less important than our
> commonalities?
> We tend to overlook our similarities far too often. Differences between
> groups are far less than differences within groups so it would be logical to
> say the same for our likenesses.
> Cultures are always evolving especially when they interact with eachother.
> We have the power to change the world right here in this platform. We're
> the pioneers as BRO would say.

bearblue

Jun 21, 2004, 4:02pm
[View Quote] I'd be for it. We don't celebrate enough holidays and can always use more.
And I think National Holidays would be a fun way to acknowledge just how
global/universal AW really is.

But I think, if that were the case, we ought to go all out and have a
"holiday," planet.

Katrina AKA Bearblue

binarybud

Jun 21, 2004, 4:51pm
great idea and very simple to implement....great learning tool also....:)

[View Quote]

lioness.

Jun 22, 2004, 12:19am
I think that's a TERRIFIC idea!!! AW probably makes such a big thing out of
the 4th of July, since AW is owned and operated by Americans hon. That
holiday IS a big thing here in the states, especially in the New England
states where it all originated all those years ago. Our country has been
celebrating that holiday for over 225 years now. Although it isn't as old a
holiday as some of the Pagan celebrations or Christmas, it is a tradition
here that we Americans observe proudly. Similar to the Mexican observance of
Cinco de Mayo. ;-"D

[View Quote]

ryan

Jun 22, 2004, 1:17am
Go Australia Day!!! (for my Aussie friends)

Ryan

[View Quote] > In that case, since AW makes such a big thing out of the 4th of July, I
> propose that we also celebrate the national holidays of every single
> country in the world. ^_^

ok emm, in libya, we celebrate Thank SWE giving day, where everyone gives
me, $100, cash. though it's not for a long time, since it would have to be
both wednesday, AND the 23rd of july. oh wait! omg, thats tomorrow! ^_^
paypal to swe at swehli.com please, thanx.
oh, every guy who doesn't give is emm, branded to have, emm, small balls? k,
wouldn't want that now would you?

-SWE

[View Quote]

tony m

Jun 22, 2004, 6:23am
Time-travelling again, are we? :)

Tomorrow is the 23rd of June...

even though you don't actually SAY it, i know this post is actually
dedicated to me, and a "thank you for showing me the ligghtt!" post.
i am honored ^_^

-SWE

[View Quote]

carolann

Jun 22, 2004, 6:48am
I'd be glad to donate $100 (if I had it) for the opportunity to "listen to"
your crazy-but really funny-brand of humor, but tomorrow is not 23 July
here, only June 23-so ppl have another month to decide. Luckily for me, if I
couldn't donate, I don't have to worry about the punishment anyway. Good
luck in any case.

[View Quote]
---

ok, rumor has it, that it is not actually july right now! well, no, that's
not true. and hey, we're not picky about our national days, june, july, all
the same!

-SWE

[View Quote]

bluebean

Jun 23, 2004, 8:06am
Excuse me for jumping in, but where's the intercultural conflict with SWE?
He's more american than most of the americans I know. His thought process
is, as he proves with his post, rather simple: give me money. His goals are
quite similar to any average US teenager: sex, cell phones, video games,
sex, cars, and ... did I mention sex already?

I really wish he would be different LOL :p ;)

".sharon" <sharonclarke at prexar.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:40d703de$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Intercultural conflict is part of the reason we've been unsuccessful in
the
> Newsgroups. We're not only failing because of the international
> miscommunication but we lack skills to forge ahead on an individual basis.
> Our values and norms, thought processes and goals vary greatly. It would
be
> powerful to effectively overcome our differences.
> Odds are that we will not have the direct experiences of one another.
> Usually our own cultural identities are not even apparent to us until we
> interact with others from different backgrounds. Our differences can feel
> like threats at first. But aren't those differences less important than
our
> commonalities?
> We tend to overlook our similarities far too often. Differences between
> groups are far less than differences within groups so it would be logical
> say the same for our likenesses.
> Cultures are always evolving especially when they interact with eachother.
> We have the power to change the world right here in this platform. We're
> the pioneers as BRO would say.

omg! i resent that! cars deserves more mentioning :) but don't think it was
an attact on me, just i told her she doesn't need to make speeches :)

oh, and i am totally libyan >_< but ty ^_^

-SWE