What happened to the contest worlds? (Community)

What happened to the contest worlds? // Community

1  |

seiya

Jan 20, 2004, 4:30pm
Years ago when I was a wee virtual lad I remember a place called 'awuniv2'
where they had a monthly building contest and the winner would get a year
extension, it was all professionally done and was alot of fun, they
cancelled it and then a couple years later, or last august, they came out
with 'awcontest' which was sponsored by aw and didn't even see the end of
its first contest, it is kind of depressing, and I am not sure why they took
these away (other than the wide assumption of price hikes) because I myself
and I know alot of others enjoy the spirit of 'controlled' competition and
would really like to see a place where they had something offiicial and
monthly or something, all we currently have is small private contests that
dont allow everyone to join due to prejudice. I would love to see something
official much like awuniv2 once was. It would challenge people to wanna
build more. What are your guys thoughts on this?

elyk

Jan 20, 2004, 6:42pm
I'm in the process of talking to MM about getting it back, so don't you
worry....

[View Quote]

alaskanshadow

Jan 20, 2004, 10:05pm
You're obsessed with competition

[View Quote]

c p

Jan 20, 2004, 11:00pm
AS: Your obsessed with competition
S: your more obsessed
AS: fine I am more obsessed
S" no im more obsessed
AS: NU UH DOO DOO HEAD IM MORE OBSESSED
S: nu uh times infinity!
AS: nu uh times infinity and one

j/k you two :-) mmmm that's good satire

play nice or its time for spankings
[View Quote]

brock

Jan 21, 2004, 1:56am
She always wins those things anyway -_-

--

Brock,

IceFlare Network
Founder/Administrator

http://www.iceflare.com/
http://www.iceflare.net/

[View Quote]

ferruccio

Jan 21, 2004, 3:04am
That was back in 2002 =D

ryan

Jan 21, 2004, 10:39am
Infinity + 1 = infinity
infinity + 932.53 = infinity
infinity * 62 = infinity
infinity - 100000 = infinity
infinity / 5 = infinity

Isn't that nifty? :)

Ryan

"ryan" <awng.5.ryanjacob at spamgourmet.com> wrote in news:400e7303$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Infinity + 1 = infinity
> infinity + 932.53 = infinity
> infinity * 62 = infinity
> infinity - 100000 = infinity
> infinity / 5 = infinity
>
> Isn't that nifty? :)

There is a concept of larger and smaller infinities. Makes sense when you
think about it.

KAH

c p

Jan 21, 2004, 7:05pm
yup theres a running theory im working on out of boredom during mathematics
class.

if you have a 3 with a line over it (3 repeating) it means 3 forever, but
what if you wrote 3 repeating then a 4 after it that means 3 goes on forever
but at the end of it it carries along a 4, so that this 4 is carried by the
3 but is according to mathematics impossible and non existent, so what if I
wanted to have 3(rep) 4 that means 3...4 right heh heh.

might be used to figure something out don't know what
[View Quote]

codewarrior

Jan 21, 2004, 11:20pm
All you're going to figure out is that there is no lexicographical method
that can capture reality.

It sounds like you all might enjoy reading a book called "Godel, Escher,
Bach"
by someone named Douglas R. Hoffstader. He was the puzzle editor of
Scientific American for many years, and a mathematics professor.

[View Quote]

seiya

Jan 22, 2004, 12:42am
I've only won 2 contests and a cy award. Anyone can win if they want it
enough... I lost because I was going easy on everyone yeah, yeah thats it
lol. =P

c p

Jan 22, 2004, 12:54am
ill pick it up, I just got snowcrash he he, clarifies allot of aw too :-),
wonder why enzo picked the bad person, we need hiro protagonist :-)

[View Quote]

elyk

Jan 22, 2004, 2:27am
Now I know why I had that 10% likeness for the NG's being down...

[View Quote]

alaskanshadow

Jan 22, 2004, 2:29am
Actually, compared to other entrants your CY build wasnt too great. people
only voted for you because you posted a fake pic of apparently of you (a hot
chick to the horny guys out there) all over the dang place. And no, im not
jealous, i didnt even enter the CYs that year, I hardly ever do, but the
things you do to win contests aka stealing cits-its stupid and obsessive.

[View Quote]

codewarrior

Jan 22, 2004, 4:04am
Welll.. it's not fiction... it's pretty dry.. but very thought provoking.

Find some reviews first.

[View Quote]

dark thorium

Jan 22, 2004, 12:21pm
Yeah, I was reading GEB:EGB over the summer... let me tell you, that was one
spectacular book. Very thought provoking, sometimes a struggle (I skipped
the chapter on molecular biology... the theoretical programming was more
interesting) but overall quite fun. It also makes the second Matrix movie
make a lot more sense ;)
-j

"c p" <chris101d at comcast.net> wrote in
news:400f3b57$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> ill pick it up, I just got snowcrash he he, clarifies allot of aw too
> :-), wonder why enzo picked the bad person, we need hiro protagonist
> :-)

This is off-topic, but I wouldn't call Uncle Enzo one of the bad guys in
Snow Crash. He is really more on Hiro & Co.'s side. I need to read that
book again sometime.

KAH

codewarrior

Jan 22, 2004, 2:07pm
For a long time after I read it I couldn't help making self referential
statements such as "For a long time after I read it I couldn't help making
self referential statements such as 'For a long time after I read it I
couldn't
help making self referential statements such as `For a long time after I
read it I couldn't help making self referential statements such as ........

** stack overflow

[View Quote]

ewasx

Jan 22, 2004, 11:45pm
hhmmm...Protagonist...I remember that name in the early days of AW ; )

[View Quote]

just in

Jan 24, 2004, 4:29am
Seiya thoroughly deserved the Cy Award for the build - I have no
reservations about considering Seiya builds in Alpha the best there are and
that he is the best builder in Alpha world.

~ Justin

[View Quote]

1st

Jan 24, 2004, 6:57am
Agreed
[View Quote]

alaskanshadow

Jan 24, 2004, 1:03pm
You obviously have not seen the true artists in AW then. All of seiyas
builds look alike, and its CY award entry was similar to something Ive seen
tourists build before.

[View Quote]

just in

Jan 25, 2004, 12:06am
AS...

Do you have some co-ords of your favorite Alpha builds? I always love
exploring good works.

~ Justin

[View Quote]

alaskanshadow

Jan 25, 2004, 11:23am
I hardly build in alpha. The lighting, quite honestly, sucks, and is
terrible for building under an artistic point of view.

[View Quote]

just in

Jan 26, 2004, 12:50am
AS

You criticised Seiyas build suggesting it was undeserving of the Cy it won.
It won as the best build in a public world - building in which as you say
"sucks". I would like to see what you consider is a better build in a
public world.

If you can't give something better, then I would suggest you owe Seiya an
apology.

~ Justin

[View Quote]

elyk

Jan 26, 2004, 2:38am
I'd say that AS doesn't owe Seiya anything.

[View Quote]

alaskanshadow

Jan 26, 2004, 7:04pm
If anyone owes someone an apology, its seiya, and it goes to the entire
community. But youre too blind to see that or comprehend it. Peoples actions
have consequences. I have lost all respect for that "thing" for lack of a
better term. It has lied to everyone, been a conniving person to everyone,
stolen peoples citizenships for its own benefit, harassed people for no
reason, the list goes on. Go ahead and worship its builds. I see artwork
with no emotion as crap. I see artwork made by a cold hearted mean person,
as crap. If you respect someone based soley on their building, then youre a
sad judge of character. I see no talent in "its" work, I see nothing more
than a competive jerk gone too far to fuel its ego. Youre judging Seiya on
its building reputation, which it obtained by hurting numerous people. There
are MANY other good builders in AW, far better than seiya, who go
unrecognized. why? because they actually play by the rules. As for better
building worlds, there are tons, you just have to look for them. I build in
worlds with the standard AW OP, the only difference is the climate usually.

[View Quote]

alaskanshadow

Jan 26, 2004, 7:07pm
And just for future reference-Id rather shoot myself then apologize to
Seiya. he/she/it will never deserve it. Ever.

[View Quote]

xelag

Jan 26, 2004, 8:37pm
So if you are found shot, are we to infer....?

On 26 Jan 2004 16:07:41 -0500, "alaskanshadow"
[View Quote] >And just for future reference-Id rather shoot myself then apologize to