An Unofficial Alphaworld Poll (Community)

An Unofficial Alphaworld Poll // Community

1  |

legion

Jul 18, 2003, 9:03pm
1. What type of object are most needed to add new objects to?
For example, there's furniture, there's modular building, etc.

2. Should next objects be made in COB format only, DFF format (According to
Eep, it's supported by Active Worlds 3x and up, I'm unable to confirm it but
I'll just put this here), some in COB and some in DFF and some in RWX, some
in COB format and some in RWX format, only in RWX format, or other option?

3. Should Alphaworld get its cloud layers or/and some other new features?

4. Should GZ area revamped or preserved?

5. Since last object updates in 2002, is it time to get new objects or not
at this present time?

6. Does Alphaworld need any more new sounds in its object path?

Please note this is unofficial Alphaworld poll and is not in any way
affilated or whatever with Activeworlds Inc. This is only designed to assess
general opinon of Alphaworld residents on limited numbers of issues. This
unoffical poll was created by me with interest in what your opinon is about
certain issues. This is an interesting poll that may offer insights into
general opinon of Alphaworld residents. Once again, neither is this poll an
official poll nor am I in any way connected with Activeworlds Inc. You have
rights to not respond to it or whatsoever obviously. Thank you for reading
and responding to it.

--
Legion
Where in the world is Goober King and his AWNews? :P

"I think, therefore I am" - Rene Descartes,
17th-century French philosopher, Earth

ryan

Jul 18, 2003, 9:40pm
1) I'm not gonna be picky, whatever is added is great for me
2) Let's just keep it going RWX :)
3) Cloud layers, sun, heck ya!
4) Revamped..no need to preserve it as there is a world (AWGZ) that has
a preservation of the Alphaworld GZ..it should definitely be updated
5) Well if they give us new objects, I'm all for it :)
6) Again, if they give us more sounds I'm for it :) I think it would
improve the variety of stuff you hear if added

[View Quote] > 1. What type of object are most needed to add new objects to?
> For example, there's furniture, there's modular building, etc.
>
> 2. Should next objects be made in COB format only, DFF format (According to
> Eep, it's supported by Active Worlds 3x and up, I'm unable to confirm it but
> I'll just put this here), some in COB and some in DFF and some in RWX, some
> in COB format and some in RWX format, only in RWX format, or other option?
>
> 3. Should Alphaworld get its cloud layers or/and some other new features?
>
> 4. Should GZ area revamped or preserved?
>
> 5. Since last object updates in 2002, is it time to get new objects or not
> at this present time?
>
> 6. Does Alphaworld need any more new sounds in its object path?
>
> Please note this is unofficial Alphaworld poll and is not in any way
> affilated or whatever with Activeworlds Inc. This is only designed to assess
> general opinon of Alphaworld residents on limited numbers of issues. This
> unoffical poll was created by me with interest in what your opinon is about
> certain issues. This is an interesting poll that may offer insights into
> general opinon of Alphaworld residents. Once again, neither is this poll an
> official poll nor am I in any way connected with Activeworlds Inc. You have
> rights to not respond to it or whatsoever obviously. Thank you for reading
> and responding to it.
>
> --
> Legion
> Where in the world is Goober King and his AWNews? :P
>
> "I think, therefore I am" - Rene Descartes,
> 17th-century French philosopher, Earth

sw comit

Jul 18, 2003, 10:35pm
[View Quote] Basic objects. Spheres, blocks, cones, and a rope object. It's pretty sad
that there's no simple ball object...I mean come on, it's 2003! =P

> 2. Should next objects be made in COB format only, DFF format (According
> Eep, it's supported by Active Worlds 3x and up, I'm unable to confirm it
but
> I'll just put this here), some in COB and some in DFF and some in RWX,
some
> in COB format and some in RWX format, only in RWX format, or other option?

I guess RWX, to keep it simple memorization-wise.

> 3. Should Alphaworld get its cloud layers or/and some other new features?

I would like that, personally, yes.

> 4. Should GZ area revamped or preserved?

REVAMPED! It's an embarrasement now. Outdated information, ground not even
covered, z buffereing, and teleports to very very old places in AW. Back
then they may of been hot stuff, but it's pretty basic now-a-days.

> 5. Since last object updates in 2002, is it time to get new objects or not
> at this present time?

Considering AWI owns so many objects from other worlds, they already got
most of the work done. Be nice if they uploaded them to Alphaworld. Also,
back in the days of Factor, he claimed we could submit objects to
Alphaworld. Not ever sure what happened to that...bring it back maybe?

> 6. Does Alphaworld need any more new sounds in its object path?

Nah.

ferruccio

Jul 18, 2003, 11:04pm
Would be nice to have some new objects, simple ones like what comit said,
maybe even those nifty curved pp16 pieces that AWTeen has.
Cloud layers, i'm all for it, but it would also be nice to have a day and
night along with the cloud layers

lara

Jul 18, 2003, 11:07pm
The one I care about is #4 - Alphaworld's gz. Preserve it.

There are plenty of other worlds with spiffy gz's. Let Alphaworld's gz remain the comfortable, familiar old meeting place that it is. Wouldn't hurt to update where the tports take ya, though. SW City wouldn't be a bad destination for one of them. :-)

As a historical note, when I first found this program AW gz was the default landing spot for all new users. One of the gz tports was to "Laurel's NorthWest Territories". Since that was similar to my name, I went out there...and settled out there. That tport is long gone. At least the CA still sends people in that direction. ;-)

Lara

[View Quote]

weebo

Jul 18, 2003, 11:39pm
Hopefully there are back-ups since we can't get bots in to do a
query/back-up. If not then maybe the AWHS might be able to help preserve. If
we're not careful, the first object laid in AW will be on the corner lol.
Weebs
[View Quote]

lara

Jul 19, 2003, 12:58am
Well, I wasn't talking about "perserve" as in copy it to keep elsewhere. AW GZ world has that. I meant "leave aw's gz alone". ;)

I was disillusioned a long time ago about the type of "preservation" AWHS did before. Too much got changed then. Wouldn't want to see that going on again.

Lara

[View Quote]

maki

Jul 19, 2003, 1:05am
[View Quote] this is an interesting question - because it's already preserved in a place
called AWGZ.

maki

sw comit

Jul 19, 2003, 1:22am
Well, I understan, but I dunno how practical is it..I mean, it may be
comfortable to us, but anyone new to AW will see the the AWGZ and kinda cock
their head at it, especially compared to AW Gate. AWGZ and AWGate were both
major chat zones, but now it's just AWGate. What happened? AW Gate
changed, AW GZ did not, that's all I can think of. There's hardly any
activity at AW GZ anymore, what are we holding onto?

Ah well, we're all entired to an opinion eh? My opinion is that there's no
strong reason to not overhaul it =X

[View Quote]

r i c h a r d

Jul 19, 2003, 2:16am
I bet AW History ppl have it protected like most the builds around gz have
been taken over by them :-/

weizer

Jul 19, 2003, 2:29am
I agree 100% with Lara. AW GZ is history and the first Virtual 3D world on
the internet. It MUST be preserved, just like it is. If you guys want some
new changes, wait for NewAW. I'm newbies won't "kinda cock
their head at it" :-)

-Weizer

"lara" <Lara at tnlc.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3F189898.21BC4BE6 at tnlc.com...
> The one I care about is #4 - Alphaworld's gz. Preserve it.
>
> There are plenty of other worlds with spiffy gz's. Let Alphaworld's gz
remain the comfortable, familiar old meeting place that it is. Wouldn't
hurt to update where the tports take ya, though. SW City wouldn't be a bad
destination for one of them. :-)

> As a historical note, when I first found this program AW gz was the
default landing spot for all new users. One of the gz tports was to
"Laurel's NorthWest Territories". Since that was similar to my name, I went
out there...and settled out there. That tport is long gone. At least the
CA still sends people in that direction. ;-)

> Lara

[View Quote]

weizer

Jul 19, 2003, 2:32am
typo : "im (sure) newbie ..."

....and probably a lot more lol
-Weizer
"weizer" <weizer at my.activeworlds.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3f18c940 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I agree 100% with Lara. AW GZ is history and the first Virtual 3D world on
> the internet. It MUST be preserved, just like it is. If you guys want some
> new changes, wait for NewAW. I'm newbies won't "kinda cock
> their head at it" :-)
>
> -Weizer
>
> "lara" <Lara at tnlc.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 3F189898.21BC4BE6 at tnlc.com...
> remain the comfortable, familiar old meeting place that it is. Wouldn't
> hurt to update where the tports take ya, though. SW City wouldn't be a
bad
> destination for one of them. :-)
> default landing spot for all new users. One of the gz tports was to
> "Laurel's NorthWest Territories". Since that was similar to my name, I
went
> out there...and settled out there. That tport is long gone. At least the
> CA still sends people in that direction. ;-)
(According
it
> but
> some
> option?
> features?
> not
> assess
> This
> about
into
poll
> an
> have
> reading

just in

Jul 19, 2003, 2:53am
I agree on preserve GZ, and I also agre on having basic building shapes that
are texture mapped and versatile.

I agree on the teleports at GZ.... (with obvious self interest at heart) I
think the teleports at GZ should take you to previous Cy Award winners for
Alpha World builds.

Regards, Justin

[View Quote]

sw comit

Jul 19, 2003, 5:48am
It's already preserved at AWGZ world...and, newAW? It's like a fancy RPG
world by the looks of it. I "live" in Alphaworld, and intend to stay there.
It's in my best interest to see the world improve, and I honestly don't see
the ancient and rotting GZ here helping any. History seems to be the only
argument to keep it, whereas there's so many more reasons to overhaul
it...you gotta ask yourself - how relevant is historic build in AW?...to the
point where it could actually not helping the world's community? Yes, new
folks are going to really look as AW as primitive because the new AWGate is
totally awesome, which is where they're coming from.

- SW Comit

[View Quote]

ferruccio

Jul 19, 2003, 7:37am
I didn't see people wanting to preserve the berlin wall, afterall, that IS
history.

You can't compare the Berlin Wall to AW GZ. The Berlin Wall was meant to
keep Berliners (and, by extension, all Germans) completely separated
from one another, hence why everyone was so anxious to tear it down. AW
GZ serves no such purpose.

However, Comit brings up an interesting point: Just how valuable is
virtual history? Is it really worth saving these few bits and bytes just
for the sake of nostalgia? You have to remember, this current AW GZ
design is not the first version that AW has seen, so why is this one
worth more to preserve? As other people have pointed out, the AW GZs are
already being preserved in AWGZ world, so one could simply move the
current GZ there as well and start from scratch.

In an environment that's completely based on technology, you can't live
in the past. The progress of AW technology is pretty much constant, and
the progress of the community (which includes its meeting places) should
follow suit.

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Living in the future
awnews at awnews.org

lara

Jul 19, 2003, 12:16pm
I understand your point, too. A lot of people will agree with you. :-)

As for "what happened" to cause hardly any activity at AW gz for the past year - imho, it was mainly the ban on tourists, as well as the price change which lost many old citizens. The number of chatters at AW gz has picked up considerably since last weekend, now that tourists are allowed into alphaworld again. Even some old gz regulars (Serendipitous, Wendel) are dropping in as tourists.

AWGate, on the other hand, will continue to be a major chat zone compared to any world, simply because it's the default landing world for new users...not because it's cool looking.

Lara

[View Quote]

lara

Jul 19, 2003, 1:16pm
You're right, Goober, about the Berlin wall non-comparison. True - the current Alphaworld gz is not the first version ever, or even the second or third probably. Yes, there's the world AW GZ with a recreation of one of the past versions. Comit and others who would like to see change make good points.

So, why is this particular gz worth more to preserve? Good question. Measured in bits and bytes it doesn't matter at all...nor does the whole activeworlds program. If virtual historical value (if there is such a thing) were all that mattered, then yes, sticking it in a dead museum type AW GZ world would be good enough. Or just keep a copy on a disk in a drawer.

I'd be the first to say, "Dress it up! Make it cool looking!" if Alphaworld were the default landing world for new users. But that's not what Alphaworld is. Alphaworld's strength is as a building world with tons of open space. In that respect, people are out in the boondocks building. GZ doesn't even matter.

The environment is based on technology, yes. But there's that all important element of "community" - people who keep the whole thing going by using it...or not. The users' choices make some particular virtual spots of those ephemeral bits and bytes popular as gathering places...or not.

Some people like to meet where there's a brandnew appearance, lots of techno eye candy. Plenty of worlds provide that. Others like the relaxing feel of an old gz that can be counted on to stay as familiar as the most popular house in a neighborhood - with kids running in and out, screendoor banging - adults virtually shaking their heads and explaining Mute. Slightly shabby, a little bit musty, yeah - but the comfortable look and feel of bits and bytes that say, "home"...virtually speaking, of course. ;-)

Lara

[View Quote]

legion

Jul 20, 2003, 2:30am
I'm curious... does anyone remember how many versions, including current
ones, of AW GZ has there been? I'm pretty sure it might be more than three.
No wonder, with each versions, it get bigger. The original version was only
3 x 3 cellwide I believe.

I've seen a old version of AW GZ in old AW browser with 1995 cache that I've
downloaded it from Mauz's website. It was pretty interesting, as well some
interesting objects and textures. Now I've lost the ancient cached browser
of AW with old computer crashed and dead (Go ahead, blame Mafia for that
;) ) and now I have new computer... and I can't find it at download page of
Mauz's website... does anyone know what happened to it or still has it? I
would like to get it, although I'm not sure if it will work on my Windows XP
computer. It worked fine on my old Windows 95 computer but I think there has
been many changes effected upon release of Windows XP so basically I'm
unsure if it will still work anyway. I hope it does.

--
Legion
My old computer got shot again and again by Mafia. It's called

"I think, therefore I am" - Rene Descartes,
17th-century French philosopher, Earth
[View Quote]

mike zimmer

Jul 20, 2003, 12:17pm
It loads DFF objects...but they don't look right at all.
--
-Miek Zimmer
*Mike

[View Quote]

legion

Jul 22, 2003, 10:37am
How doesn't it look right? I'm curious about that because I haven't seen any
DFF objects in Active Worlds yet so I'm not sure how that work or whatever
that is.

--
Legion
DFF are used in Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City :)