ethical bunch in the world, which is why I really don't want to pursue
this further. I doubt it will do much good.

The internet is fertile ground for greed
robrod at prism.net

alphabit phalpha

Sep 18, 2002, 7:55pm
Never doubt Goobs...never doubt:)
That move to hike the price further was a bad move on their part in my
opinion.
And you can transfer a domain name to any domain company you prefer.

[View Quote] [View Quote]
The internet is fertile ground for greed
robrod at prism.net

"bowen" <thisguyrules at 7k2.4mg.com> wrote in
news:3d88dcb7$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> How was I wrong with this? That is exactly what this guy is doing, I
> don't think he's made too much money. Most Cyber Squatters register
> names that expire and were really popular. In hopes the owner will
> come back and increase their profit 500% (they register for $10 and
> charge them $50).

What's worse is that these people are completely stupid, because the site
was a non-profit, pennyless site run by volunteers, and frankly, with weak
page views (in terms of the web in general, very good for an AW site
though). It's obvious they wouldn't get their money. But since this seems
to be a subsidiary of register.com, the registrar, it doesn't cost them
anything (except the $35 Goober would've renewed with if they hadn't pulled
this trick).

KAH

facter

Sep 18, 2002, 8:05pm
Dear Mike,

Yes, this is a letter in regards to your companies acquisition of the domain
awnews.com. It has come to my attention that you snapped up the domain
whilst it was free - the people who previously (an in my eyes really should
still) owned it had merely allowed it to lapse because that was the best way
to transfer the domain from where it was held. I am sure you know the story.

I have decided to email you in response to the situation, to plead the case
for allowing the sale of the somain at its lowest cost, and not the (in many
peoples eyes) riduculous sum that you initially wished for it.

AWNEWS.com has had various incarnations over the years, but it is one, and
only one thing - a website for a small proportion of the community of the
activeworlds software. The people who pour their love into the site are
mostly young, dedicated members of that community, and as such have such
extremely limited funds that to obtain the domain from you for that cost is
physically impossible. The site is a non-profit site, that allows users to
hear about news on that community, and also allows young, budding
journalists (many of them in still in school) to have their love for the
activeworlds community.

You will not find another buyer for that domain name - I also find it hard
to understand what you would want with it - but I do implore you to allow
the domain to be purchased at the original cost.

They made a mistake in letting it lapse, yes, but you have to understand
that these guys allowed it to do so with good intentions of merely
transfering it, and did not fully understand the intricacies involved in the
transfer of domain names. That they would choose to let it lapse rather than
transfer it due to the difficulties involved is testament to that fact. They
had absolutly no idea that anyone, at all, would snap it up - who woudl want
the domain name for a tiny little community of young people whose only wish
was to have a site to share their love of the software? It was an honest
mistkae, pure and simple, and I would hate to think that someone would take
advantage of such honest intentions, no matter who it was.

So give them a break, or at least negotiate with them - they are a great
bunch of people, and it is a great site, which many people love and dearly
miss.

Sincerly,
Fletcher Andersen
Web Co-ordinator, Haringey Borough Council
(Former Activeworlds Technical Support)

[View Quote]

facter

Sep 18, 2002, 8:07pm
I will add my support to any legal action that may need to be taken. I also
have several lawyer friends that ight be able to help look into it, and at
least send them a letter - I'll see what I can find out.

F.

[View Quote]

facter

Sep 18, 2002, 8:11pm
I for one actually think it is important for everyone to know who it was, as
they will most certainly have to now be involved if any legal action is
taken in regards to getting the domain back, as that email in reply from the
head of the domain company specifically notes that someone has attempted to
make this claim into a farce, then any action taken from now will also have
to include that information.

Thats how the law works - whoever it was was truely silly in doing so,
because now they have involved themselves legally in any of this business
should it come to that kind of thing.

F.

[View Quote]

dion

Sep 18, 2002, 8:11pm
AWNews is too general to be considered against the law. They could simply
argue that they happened to buy that domain and would get by no problem.

Quit bitching about it, just move on and quit bugging them. It's only a
freaking domain anyway! It's your own damn fault for not renewing it in
time.

[View Quote]

facter

Sep 18, 2002, 8:13pm
I will kick in some money - just tell me where to send it.

F.

[View Quote]

facter

Sep 18, 2002, 8:15pm
Goober - they are doing the wrong thing, and what they are doing is quite
possibly illegal.

I'd like to fight on this one,b ecause I've always loved the site, and rea
dit whenever there was something new on it. It is not unwinnable, and in
fact, I think there is a hugely strong case for getting it back.

EVeryone agrees...

F.

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Sep 18, 2002, 8:17pm
Facter...Love your letter:)

I would love to talk to your lawyers also regarding the threat that was made
to me and also the defamation of character.
Currently the price for awnews.com shows as $10,000.00 on their web page. As
far as I know it was hiked after they received the emails from us.
I have a email into a local news station right now that investigates
consumer problems like this and if they don't bite on it I will be
contacting every single one on the internet until I get one that does:)

United We Stand
Divided We Fall

[View Quote] F.

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Sep 18, 2002, 8:22pm
Do you really think they will come forward and admit their attempting to
ruin something for the community?
They haven't so far.
However, once legal procedures start, the courts will demand that
information, and if they don't they will have incriminated themselves for
witholding evidence.

[View Quote] Thats how the law works - whoever it was was truely silly in doing so,
because now they have involved themselves legally in any of this business
should it come to that kind of thing.

F.

"dion" <Dion at digevo.net> wrote in
news:3d88fa20$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> AWNews is too general to be considered against the law. They could
> simply argue that they happened to buy that domain and would get by no
> problem.
>
> Quit bitching about it, just move on and quit bugging them. It's only
> a freaking domain anyway! It's your own damn fault for not renewing it
> in time.

AWNews.com is NOT general. News.com would be general, but AWNews is not.
There's lots of evidence that they bought it on purpose to try to resell it
to the original owner. It's bad ethics by the registrar to do this (I think
that the registrar and the squatting-company is the one and same), to
"punish" their users for not ordering long-term. They're bugging us, and
it's a domain which has become known in AW and that's, well, OURS. They
seem to show resemblances with our friend I-guess-the-rest by thinking that
their customers' property trusted in their hands is their property. The
point was that we were changing owners, and Cybor didn't know that they
would let him transfer it to someone else, so he thought the best would be
to let it expire so Goober could order it again after it had expired.
Register.com didn't want to tell when it would be up for sale again
(normally much later than in this case), and because it isn't like it's a
"hot" name, Goober didn't check every five minutes if it had been released.
Probably wasn't at all, just transfered onto the domain squatting
department anyway. Don't be such a newbie, Dion!

KAH

dion

Sep 18, 2002, 8:48pm
Well, if there's a law against squatting companies, I think it's stupid.
It's your own dumb fault if you screw it up. They didn't hack it, they just
registered it normally.

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Sep 18, 2002, 8:55pm
Ummmm...could everyone please not get into a flaming war with Dion?
We need folks to want to read this thread and participate and I'm afraid if
people see flaming, they will move on:(
Dion....could you please refrain just this one time please?
Thanks sweetie:)

[View Quote] [View Quote]

talisan

Sep 18, 2002, 9:08pm
Dion,

The original owner of the domain let it expire. That person is no longer in
the community. That person made an assumption that Goob would grab it right
up, and I have no doubt that Goob has been trying to do just that. Goob
tried several times to get the domain the right way from the original owner,
but that person didn't want to take the trouble to do it that way. However,
someone else got it first and doesn't care about its intent, they only care
to make a profit off it, not to use it for any other purpose. When those
people found out people were interested in this domain, they hiked the price
up even further. From what I read the price they wanted originally was 1250
dollars... which is pretty outrageous for a non-profit news service run by
Goob. Then they hiked it up even further to a nutty and absurd price of
10k(if I read correctly). I HOPE you are not agreeing with the way these
people do business. It would make you look pretty bad as well.

--Talisan

You get 'em tiger.

dion

Sep 18, 2002, 10:04pm
:-\ Sorry if that's what it seems like I was doing. I didn't mean to start
anything, just voicing my opinion. Maybe I was a little tough with my
opinions there. :-X Sorry

[View Quote]

dion

Sep 18, 2002, 10:07pm
I'm not saying I think it's alright to do but I don't think it's against the
law. *shrug* But since alphabit asked me to quiet up a but, I'll do so.
Sorry if I angered anyone.

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Sep 18, 2002, 10:08pm
Nahhh...I'm sorry Dion...didn't mean much by it...just attempting to keep
the focus on the issue.
Hopefully you understand the problems now.
I think we can really make a difference with this not only for our small
community but also for communities everywhere:)
Thank you for appologizing...but was really me that should...it just ain't
right to ask someone not to post thier opinions:)
Thanks a ton tho!
Sincerely
Bit:)

[View Quote] [View Quote]

its alright, i wont get into trouble, no one who starts a domostration or
protest does :) this is a friendly protest, no violence

oh alphabit, if what you were doing wasnt spamming (which i dont think it
was) that threat about loosing your internet account was also illegal, you
can sue over that if you want.

SWE

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Sep 19, 2002, 12:11am
Yup...and I also just figured out that the domain company retaliated by
raising the price after the emails.....retaliation on a consumer is a huge
no no...I hope that dude is talking to his lawyers and figures out what is
right and wrong in the retail business:)

[View Quote] SWE

I too will support any legal action.

Chris

Well in the next few years if it gets passed you can bring that to Mike's
attention.

Chris

Which is what ya should've done. ^_^

Chris

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Sep 19, 2002, 1:21am
You guys rock:)
Now THIS is "Community":)

[View Quote] Chris

Well you're the one who's always talking to us SW's about community. What
better way to unite a community than a legal case? ^_^

Chris

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Sep 19, 2002, 1:35am
Hehehehe:)
I have to say....whether this goes legal or not...it sure warms a person's
heart to see friends come together in support of one another:)

[View Quote] Chris

[View Quote]

nornny11

Sep 19, 2002, 9:20am
Well, maybe not everyone agrees, but I do. :))

The community is really pulling together on this issue, and I have NEVER
once doubted that the pen and paper are strong weapons. Maybe we can't sue
the company (except for Alphabit), but boy can we write. If we send letter
around, to other domain owners who've also lost their domain unjustly, we
can at least get eyes on this company, at best a lawsuit. But we're too much
of a society based on suing as it is, let's just hurt them with online
lynching, sorta. Word of mouth is all it takes to ruin a company, squatting
or not.

Maybe I'm a bit biased, Cybor and I went into this awnews.com project
together, and I'm forever in debt to Goober King for taking a project that
takes a LOT of time and effort (and initiative, writing news stories isn't
the funnest thing to do on a Saturday night). As a former reporter of
awnews, I have to say awnews.org might be practical (and I don't mind having
it as our domain), but I'm rooting for our old domain, it's history,
sentimentalality, and etc. We're the AW Community folks! ;) Nothing can face
our wrath.

--
From the Newbie's Guide to the AW NG:

"Nornny11 - The original wishy-washy man, this one can actually insult you
and compliment you in the same breath, and in the end say absolutely
nothing! What a talent!"
[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Sep 19, 2002, 11:14am
What I would actually like to have people see is that this "squatting" isn't
just effecting businesses...it's effecting communities of people. People who
gather and make great friends online. People who just want to have fun. And
that fun can continue, but it is heartless thoughts that allow what's going
on, even after it's been brought to their attention.
And then to make it virtually impossible by retaliating and hiking the
prices beyond reach....well that's right out "slum lording"of a facility.

[View Quote] The community is really pulling together on this issue, and I have NEVER
[...]

From the Newbie's Guide to the AW NG:

"Nornny11 - The original wishy-washy man, this one can actually insult you
and compliment you in the same breath, and in the end say absolutely
nothing! What a talent!"
[View Quote]

1  2  3  |