scam email (Community)

scam email // Community

1  |

the derek

Jun 19, 2002, 11:18pm
if you get this email IT IS NOT AW (its a hotmail account)

From: "COF ACTIVEWORLDS" <cofactiveworlds at hotmail.com>

To: imthederek at yahoo.com

Subject: Activeworlds Report (URGENT!!)

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 19:40:48 -0500

To Activeworlds Citizen User,
Due to an eletrical storm, our systems where shut down. It
seems
we have lost some information to your citizenship record. If you
please
send your citizenship number, password, and privillage password we
could get
you citizenship record up. Right now your citizenship is running on
temporary memory, which gets cleared every 48 hours. You have less
than 48
hours to send your e-mail reply to us, we will be checking e-mail every
hour
to confirm e-mails.

Thank you,
Activeworlds Community

begin 666 space.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``````````"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end

the derek

Jun 19, 2002, 11:21pm
i dunno what the attachment is DO NOT OPEN IT (i didnt add it there
intentionally so i suggest you dont open it)
[View Quote]

maki

Jun 19, 2002, 11:26pm
lol O_O

--
maki [www.awmaki.com]

[View Quote]

the derek

Jun 19, 2002, 11:38pm
not funny :P i was about to reply when i realized this was not something aw
would ask. but i was gonna say my cit# and name anyway until i noticed it
was a hotmail account :D

Now we get to see how stupid AW citizens *really* are. If anyone falls
for this, they deserve what they get. Rick and JP may be idiots, but
they can at least type properly, and don't need Hotmail. :P

[View Quote] > i dunno what the attachment is DO NOT OPEN IT (i didnt add it there
> intentionally so i suggest you dont open it)
The sad part is, people just *might* fall for it!
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

carlbanks

Jun 19, 2002, 11:43pm
AWCom always backs up the Server everyday I bet. Also AWCom never asks you
for your PPW and Privlage password.

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Jun 20, 2002, 12:31am
Hmmmm...I wonder how long it will take authorities to trace this, as it is
effecting a business?

[View Quote]
From: "COF ACTIVEWORLDS" <cofactiveworlds at hotmail.com>

To: imthederek at yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 19:40:48 -0500

To Activeworlds Citizen User,
Due to an eletrical storm, our systems where shut down. It
seems
we have lost some information to your citizenship record. If you
please
send your citizenship number, password, and privillage password we
could get
you citizenship record up. Right now your citizenship is running on
temporary memory, which gets cleared every 48 hours. You have less
than 48
hours to send your e-mail reply to us, we will be checking e-mail every
hour
to confirm e-mails.

Thank you,
Activeworlds Community

baro

Jun 20, 2002, 7:16am
I have to agree with you goob. Warnings and protection can only go so far
in our society, anyone falling for this is simply hopeless.

binarybud

Jun 20, 2002, 11:16am
that image was prolly attached as a URL to the original email you received
so they could see when you opened the email.....

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Jun 20, 2002, 1:40pm
I wouldn't even reply to this if it was from an activeworlds.com e-mail.
You've GOT to be stupid if you think ANYONE would ask for your password over
e-mail. Do you know how easy it is to spoof the from e-mail adress? I could
probably make it look like my e-mails were sent from whitehouse.gov or
something....

Even if this WAS from an activeworlds e-mail do not reply. I wouldn't even
reply if it was aw. First i'd call them up and maybe give them the
information over the phone where i know who i'm talkign to is real.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

[View Quote]

pc hamster

Jun 21, 2002, 5:00am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Actually, it affects TRWO of 'em. ActiveWorlds (most directly) and
MSN/Hotmail (whose servers were probably used to generate the email).

PC Hamster

shorah

Jun 21, 2002, 11:18am
Lmao, it's a gif... You are so paranoid :)

Shorah

On 20-06-2002 02:21, in article 3d112e10 at server1.Activeworlds.com, "the
derek" <imthederek at yahoo.com> said:

> i dunno what the attachment is DO NOT OPEN IT (i didnt add it there
> intentionally so i suggest you dont open it)

"alphabit phalpha" <alphabit at swbell.net> wrote in
news:3d113e7b at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Hmmmm...I wonder how long it will take authorities to trace this, as
> it is effecting a business?

Not long, but I doubt the AWC is going to bother to file a complaint with
the police over this... If they're really bored they might send an abuse
report to MSN.

"zeo toxion" <zeo at activeworlds.com> wrote in
news:3d11f76d at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I wouldn't even reply to this if it was from an activeworlds.com
> e-mail. You've GOT to be stupid if you think ANYONE would ask for your
> password over e-mail. Do you know how easy it is to spoof the from
> e-mail adress? I could probably make it look like my e-mails were sent
> from whitehouse.gov or something....
>
> Even if this WAS from an activeworlds e-mail do not reply. I wouldn't
> even reply if it was aw. First i'd call them up and maybe give them
> the information over the phone where i know who i'm talkign to is
> real.

What if cit thiefs broke into the AWC HQ? ;-))

KAH

the derek

Jun 21, 2002, 3:03pm
i didnt look at the file itself i just a paperclip thingy to the far left :P
[View Quote]

agent1

Jun 21, 2002, 3:48pm
Outlook Express automatically appends attached images to the end of a message you're viewing. I'm not sure if you can turn that off,
but it's default behaviour.

d a n

Jun 25, 2002, 5:30pm
AW don't need your citizenship password,

They can see it from their database

:_P

<Dan>

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Aug 19, 2002, 1:53pm
That email doesn't even make SENSE. If it WAS in this so called
"temporary memory" then they already HAVE your details, they would
just need to copy them to "permenant memory"

[View Quote] >if you get this email IT IS NOT AW (its a hotmail account)

> From: "COF ACTIVEWORLDS" <cofactiveworlds at hotmail.com>
>
> To: imthederek at yahoo.com
>
> Subject: Activeworlds Report (URGENT!!)
>
> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 19:40:48 -0500
>

> To Activeworlds Citizen User,
> Due to an eletrical storm, our systems where shut down. It
>seems
>we have lost some information to your citizenship record. If you
>please
>send your citizenship number, password, and privillage password we
>could get
>you citizenship record up. Right now your citizenship is running on
>temporary memory, which gets cleared every 48 hours. You have less
>than 48
>hours to send your e-mail reply to us, we will be checking e-mail every
>hour
>to confirm e-mails.
>
> Thank you,
> Activeworlds Community
>

>begin 666 space.gif
>K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``````````"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
>`
>end

ncc 72897

Aug 19, 2002, 1:56pm
look at the bad grammar in the mail, aw would never have grammatical errors
in their reports

*poke* This thread is almost two months old. Check them dates! :P

[View Quote] > That email doesn't even make SENSE. If it WAS in this so called
> "temporary memory" then they already HAVE your details, they would
> just need to copy them to "permenant memory"

He blames Outlook...
robrod at prism.net

the derek

Aug 19, 2002, 9:45pm
i cant even see the thread anymore and its old news

Rossy, you just displayed a glint of technical know how, im impressed. :P