Networks (Community)

Networks // Community

1  |

a1cttourist5

May 1, 2002, 7:27pm
Any one know of any AW TV Networks? Like ABN?

lord fett

May 1, 2002, 8:18pm
There is a website that lists all the AW TV Networks located at:
http://awtv.haveman.net/

[View Quote]

pc hamster

May 3, 2002, 2:06am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Not to sound critical or anything but being someone who's going to put a
virtual TV station in his town, I think this group could use a little work.
By that I mean next time some world has a major event coming up, EMAIL THESE
GUYS so that it can be televised LIVE!!! It'd be GREAT to see the Cy Awards
on TV like other award shows (except the Webbys). I wonder if the cys
*have* been carried live before... Just curious... :-)

In any case, hopefully AWcom's deal with NetBroadcaster will change all that
whereas before they know it, they'll be BUSIER than bees after honey!! :-)

And should I get my virtual TV station studios built before AWcom
consummates their deal with NetBroadcaster (which seems to be likely), the
word "they" in my post will obviously be replaced with "we'll" as you bet
*I'll* jump right on in.... :-)

If not, well....I may just pick up programming from the existing networks
:-)

Just my $.02 worth....Cheers for now :-)

Patrick Cook
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
Owner - KPDC Internet TV
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado
http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/

a1cttourist5

May 3, 2002, 2:26am
And dose any one know where can I find a good broadcaster, like one that I
can upload pics in order to a url audomadicly. Like the programs they use
for ABN. I would much like to have that If it is possible.

nornny11

May 3, 2002, 9:00am
It's been carried live, at least the last ceremony was. :) I don't know if
it was life on the web, but there were different viewing stations throughout
the CyAwards world that broadcasted the show for people who needed to escape
the lag. :)

Nornny

[View Quote]

silenced

May 3, 2002, 9:39am
Oh, they use PHP scripts to randomly (or orderly) choose the pictures from a
dir.

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

don't worry about the NetBroadCaster deal, I don't think it'll do much to VR
TV stations in AW LOL ;-)) they just want a bit of money and some free
(well, in reality it's damn expensive advertising since they're buying the
whole company!) advertising and try to achieve that by buying a company that
runs one of the most popular entertainment sites (or so they say...) around.
Silly if you ask me, but oh well, if they feel like going bust quicker, then
let them!

a1cttourist5

May 4, 2002, 12:31am
Dose Any one know Were I can Download a Program, That Lets me upload files
in a timed order? So that when I schedule files to be uploaded they will do
it at the times I have marked, they will upload on the server the same name
as the one before it?

alphabit phalpha

May 4, 2002, 5:22pm
http://www.spidersoft.com/webzip/news/default.asp
This one's pretty cool!
I don't know if it has a timer tho. Haven't played with it much yet:)

If you wish, you even can do it with the stuff that comes with windows.
The scheduler allows timed actions, and the FTP command line tool can
read FTP scripts with connect and up/download instructions.

[View Quote]

computerizer

May 5, 2002, 3:11pm
Thank you for suggesting this, however please be aware that ABN TV has
exclusive rights to televise the 2002 Cy Awards, which means the awards
ceremony and related events can and will be televised on ABN TV only.

As for the AW TV Alliance, it is still being worked on, and isn't complete
(it needs a much better web design, for example), but we do encourage any
stations who are up and running to apply for membership!

Thanks,
Computerizer
Cy Awards Webmaster (2002)
ABN TV Operations Manager (2002)
AWTV Alliance Founder (2001)

"pc hamster" <pchamster at email.msn.com> wrote in
news:3cd20cd5 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Hi everyone:
>
> coming up, EMAIL THESE GUYS so that it can be televised LIVE!!! It'd
> be GREAT to see the Cy Awards on TV like other award shows (except the
> Webbys). I wonder if the cys *have* been carried live before... Just
> curious... :-)
>

> Patrick Cook
> Mayor - City of Hamsterville
> Owner - KPDC Internet TV
> pchamster at msn.com
> Denver, Colorado
> http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/

silenced

May 5, 2002, 3:16pm
Lmao, jeez. Guys, this is a program, it's not a real TV. ABN is not a
company. Anyone can "broadcast" whatever they want from the CY awards. Are
you going to sue someone if they do! Oh No! Captain Obvious must save me
from these evil doers and explain why you can't. *smack* Wake up, it's a
community event.

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

[View Quote]

a1cttourist5

May 5, 2002, 4:06pm
Yes I only Want a program that can upload image files like abn dose. That
you import a list of jpg files and it uploads the list on to a server over
and over.And I can tell the program how long it should wait between
uploading the files.

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

May 5, 2002, 5:01pm
Hi Bowen:)

Yes it's true that anyone can televise the Cys from thier pc and we
wouldn't even know it....maybe:)
However....other stations do not have sponsorship identification on the
Cy web page nor inworld.
And the best thing they don't have is stage and backstage access for the
best pics possible.
Oh...and I might add.....others also don't have the capability of
interviewing inworld during Cy events, nor anyone on the Cy Committee.
ABNtv has the exclusive rights because they are
dependable...creative...and have very professional manners in dealing with
the Cys and folks who attend them.
I am not saying others don't show professionalism.
We just promised ABNtv exclusive rights as the only way we could say
thank you for the great job last round:)

Hold the phone.

I can understand ABN having exclusive rights to broadcast the event, but
exclusive *interviewing* rights as well?! How does that work? How can
you place restrictions on who does the interviewing, especially when ABN
isn't primarily a news organization. You also make it sound like the CY
committee will refuse to talk to anyone unless they're from ABN. Sounds
to me like you're selling yourself short, there...

[View Quote] > Hi Bowen:)

> Yes it's true that anyone can televise the Cys from thier pc and we
> wouldn't even know it....maybe:)
> However....other stations do not have sponsorship identification on the
> Cy web page nor inworld.
> And the best thing they don't have is stage and backstage access for the
> best pics possible.
> Oh...and I might add.....others also don't have the capability of
> interviewing inworld during Cy events, nor anyone on the Cy Committee.
> ABNtv has the exclusive rights because they are
> dependable...creative...and have very professional manners in dealing with
> the Cys and folks who attend them.
> I am not saying others don't show professionalism.
> We just promised ABNtv exclusive rights as the only way we could say
> thank you for the great job last round:)

"Exclusive" doesn't necessarily mean *everything*!
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

alphabit phalpha

May 6, 2002, 12:10am
How would we be selling ourselves short?

[View Quote]

silenced

May 6, 2002, 12:18am
From things like web news sites.. awnews I think it is?

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

[View Quote]

macb z@x.y

May 6, 2002, 12:41am
From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

Exclusive \Ex*clu"sive\a. [Cf. F. exclusif.]
1. Having the power of preventing entrance; debarring from
participation or enjoyment; possessed and enjoyed to the
exclusion of others; as, exclusive bars; exclusive
privilege; exclusive circles of society.

Exclusivity has done a lot to sell the AW community short IMHO. This
is just one more drop in the bucket.

Can I pick this up on ordinary cable? Or do I need a satellite dish?

[View Quote] > How would we be selling ourselves short?

By restricting both the networks and news organizations, as well as the
CY Committee members and CY winners.

I see the CY Awards as being like the Academy Awards. Network TV
stations fight for the rights to broadcast the event, which creates a
ratings boost for whomever gets the event, and serves as an excellent
outlet for the event coordinators.

However, just because ABC wins the rights to broadcast the Oscars, that
doesn't mean that only ABCNews can talk to the winners. Not only is this
unfair to the other TV Networks and entertainment news shows (i.e.
Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, etc), but its also unfair to
the winners, since they would only be allowed to talk to ABC news
outlets. This limits their exposure, and actually degrades the worth of
the award in the first place (after all, what good is it to win if you
can't show it off to the world?).

So what happens when one of the winners wants to talk to AWNews? Or what
about if the RWX Report wants to do a spoof on the organization of the
CY Awards event? They won't be able to do anything, thanks to your
"exclusive" contract. So not only are you selling yourselves short, your
also selling your precious AW community short as well by limiting
exposure. Is that really what you wanted?

[View Quote] > How would we be selling ourselves short?

Does the word "monopoly" mean anything to you?
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

alphabit phalpha

May 6, 2002, 10:50am
Good point Goober.
You guys at AWNews.com have always covered the Cys beautifully as a virtual
newspaper.
We would hope you would continue to do so:)
Ok, we really can't stop folks from interviewing people and definately don't
want to take away from the Recipients interviews.
I appologize for my wording, ....was tired when I became "reactive".
What I mean to say is that AWNews.com and ABNTV and WVRB will be allowed
exclusive access to areas for photos and exclusive interviews. And thier
links on our sponser pages, plus inworld gz signs.
BTW...thank you for the beautiful writeup on the Team Party:)
Also, sorry we didn't talk about your sponsorship before.
Can we please get the logo and link url for AWNews.com so we can get you
folks on the web page and gz area?
Thanks!
Bit:)

pc hamster

May 6, 2002, 1:11pm
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Cool.... :-)

> As for the AW TV Alliance, it is still being worked on, and isn't complete
> (it needs a much better web design, for example), but we do encourage any
> stations who are up and running to apply for membership!

Well...after doing a little more research, it looks as though the (possible)
tandem of ABN TV and XEON TV may be just the ticket to go once I get my
studios built (they'll also house my radio stations as well :-)), I will
most certainly apply for membership!!! :-)

Though I just might run one of the networks on my 3DHP (one of the homes has
a TV set) and just pretend I get it off the "dish" in the backyard :-)
*LOL!*

Ohh...and BTW KAH....I was referring to the NetBroadcaster deal possibly
BENEFITTING the networks, but now that I think about it, AW hasn't even
mastered the art of transmitting audio (aside from midi or other music files
and other noises) over 3D yet. In other words, giving us a TALK option
whereas we can simply speak into a microphone. So given that, somehow I
don't think that televising the Cys - complete with audio and using
RealVideo or Windows Media video - will be possible for quite sometime (if
ever!)

But it was a nice dream anyhow... :-)

Cheers for now everyone :-)

pc hamster

May 6, 2002, 1:24pm
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Goober is right there Alpha. Afterall, which network has JOAN RIVERS been
on during The Academys??? How 'bout The Emmys??? The Golden Globes???

She sure *hasn't* been on the network that *broadcasts* said events. If she
has, then either E! went banrupt (which isn't likely since I believe they're
owned by Time-Warner) or she's HOSTED said event(s) at one time or another.

Goober, am I off base here???

In any case, why should The Cys be any different??? Sure have ONE network
*broadcast* the event (and their affiliated stations carry it), but at least
let ALL the members of the virtual press have & SHARE the *interviewing*
rights. That's how the other awards show do it. Right Goober???

Cheers for now :-)

Patrick Cook
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
Owner - KPDC Internet TV
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado
http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/

pc hamster

May 6, 2002, 4:17pm
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Could someone please drop by my 3DHP and tell me if the TV at 1s 3E is
properly receiving XEON TV??? I'm NOT getting a thing and I inserted the
command line EXACTLY as illustrated on the XEON TV website at
http://xeonsoft.d2g.com/xeontvsite/watch_xeontv.htm

My 3DHP is Pub102X. I am there now.

I'm only running Software Rendered 3D Graphics (could THAT be the reason???)
and would appreciate anyone using a 3D Graphics Card to stop by and
double-check if it's me or not.

Thanks :-)

Patrick Cook
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
Owner - Pub102X 3D Homepage
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado
http://home.talkcity.com/MinivanAve/patrick32/

P.S.: I'm receiving XEON just fine via the ActiveWorlds TV Viewer (when it
doesn't crash due to Runtime errors!)