computerizer // User Search

1  |

The end of an era

May 31, 2002, 1:29pm
which chat log is this? I must has missed it...

-Computerizer

"brant" <awteen at shoemakervillage.org> wrote in
news:3cf77be0$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Well, that chat log said that 3.3 is to be released within a few hours
> (i.e. before the ceremony). I doubt that AW would release it after
> business hours, and besides, release dates for any kind of software,
> no matter what company, are always inevitably delayed, so don't be
> surprised if the log is no longer accurate :)

The end of an era

May 31, 2002, 1:29pm
which chat log is this? I must has missed it...

-Computerizer

"brant" <awteen at shoemakervillage.org> wrote in
news:3cf77be0$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Well, that chat log said that 3.3 is to be released within a few hours
> (i.e. before the ceremony). I doubt that AW would release it after
> business hours, and besides, release dates for any kind of software,
> no matter what company, are always inevitably delayed, so don't be
> surprised if the log is no longer accurate :)

inquery

Jun 21, 2001, 3:10am
Greetings, fellow AW'ers!
I was wondering... how would I go about becoming an official beta tester
for Active Worlds? I have beta tested for many things in the past,
including the popular game Space Empires IV and the upcoming Microsoft
Visual Studio.NET. I beleive it is important to get out as many bugs as
possible from an application before it is released, and I would like to
participate in that action. I am a programmer myself, so I can help
diagnose the problems I encounter when I submit them.
So if I could find out how to be a beta tester, it would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
Computerizer

xsign.rwx gone?

Jul 5, 2001, 9:31pm
Does anyone know what has happened to the object "xsign.rwx" that was in
the alpha world object path? It seems to have disappeared, and that annoys
me significantly!

Computerizer,

xsign.rwx

Jul 17, 2001, 3:42pm
A few weeks ago I posted saying that xsign.rwx appears to be missing. I was
told something about registry problems and that it would be fixed by
"Monday" and I would be able to use it again. Now, two Mondays have passed
by and the file still does not exist in the AlphaWorld object path.
Please bring it back!?!?

Computerizer,

xsign.rwx

Jul 18, 2001, 3:20am
When I visit a location of one, I get the following error:

Warning: unable to download objects.activeworlds.com/aw/models/xsign.zip
(file not found)

Doesn't look like it's "back up and workng" to me!

Computerizer

"syntax" <syntax at earthcorp.com> wrote in
news:3b5505d1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Looks like xsign.rwx is back up and working. :-)
> --
> Syntax
> syntax at swcity.net
> www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

xsign.rwx

Jul 18, 2001, 3:30am
Hey, is it me, or do some posts disappear from this newsgroup? What I was
replying to was on my screen a few moments ago--now it's gone. Maybe it's
just my newsreader...

-Computerizer

"computerizer" <tyrel at haveman.net> wrote in
news:3b551caa$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> When I visit a location of one, I get the following error:
>
> Warning: unable to download
> objects.activeworlds.com/aw/models/xsign.zip (file not found)
>
> Doesn't look like it's "back up and workng" to me!
>
> Computerizer
>
> "syntax" <syntax at earthcorp.com> wrote in
> news:3b5505d1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

ActiveWorlds Beta Program

Jul 20, 2001, 8:56pm
I asked a while back for the same reasons -- every pretty much just said to
talk to Roland... pfft.. yeah right..

-Computerizer

"k.c" <KC0013 at cs.com> wrote in news:3b58b3ba at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> To Whom It May Concern:
> I was wondering how I would get involved in the AW Beta Tester
> Program?
> I have been involved and been an active member in the AW Community for
> about 4 years now. I have been and currently am involved with many
> other Beta testing programs such as CompuServe, AmericaOnline, and
> WinAmp DJ Broadcasting Software. If it could be at all possible to get
> any information on how to become a beta tester, could someone please
> respond to this post or contact me using the address below. Thanks!
>
> Musically Yours,
> Kurtis J. Cummings
> Station Manager
> WVRN, Broadway World Radio
> www.wvrnradio.com
> KC0013 at cs.com

ActiveWorlds Beta Program

Jul 24, 2001, 3:43pm
Tech Talks? discussion? can you explain these please?

-Computerizer

[View Quote] >you can, but it would rather exlude you, I think... attending the Tech
>Talks, and participating in the discussion would be much more effective,
>cuzz that way Roland will see your interest and skills easily...
>
>KAH

[View Quote]

ActiveWorlds Beta Program

Jul 24, 2001, 6:28pm
8PM VRT? Hrm.. too bad for anyone who lives anywhere west of the east
coast and has to go to work or university on fridays (like me)

-Computerizer

[View Quote] >oy, you're living in an isolated hole. Every Friday night at 8pm vrt,
>Roland, AWC's lead programmer comes online in AWUniv to talk and answer
>questions about the AW program. It's very technical, but you really get a
>lot of in depth stuff from bugs, fixes, future implementations, and such.
>Boring and confusing if you end up not knowing the differences in drivers,
>hardware, and all that computer mumbo jumbo like me. lol. These tech talks
>are really all that Roland sees and does in AW, so when its time to get beta
>testers for a new version, he usually calls upon the regulars who really
>know what they're talking about and really put in good bug reports and
>input. :) If you attend Tech Talk and really can't give anything besides
>your opinion, just showing up will sometimes get you into the beta program
>since he needs variety in computers. :)
>
>Nornny

[View Quote]

ActiveWorlds Beta Program

Jul 24, 2001, 9:22pm
Heh, specifically Washington (the state). On the west coast, 8PM VRT
is 3 PM. Most people are at work/school at that time. This next school
year at college I suppose I can try to make my schedule so that
perhaps I *might* be able to make it to these discussions, but most
likely it won't work out... *sigh*

On 24 Jul 2001 18:36:52 -0400, "goober king" <rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu>
[View Quote] >Yea, you know... those places you keep hearing about: "California", "Colorado",
>"Chicago"... There's more to the world than EST, y'know :P
>
>P.S. He was referring to East Coast of U.S.

[View Quote]

ActiveWorlds Beta Program

Jul 25, 2001, 1:36pm
Because mountain time and central time may also be included in it, is
why.. and they aren't near the west coast :P

[View Quote] >why didn't you say West coast, instead of West of the East coast? that was
>my point...
>
>KAH

[View Quote]

News Reader Software?

Jul 20, 2001, 8:58pm
Does anyone know of any news reader software that's better than Xnews? And
don't say Netscape, Outlook, or Mozilla. Hehehe. I was looking once and I
just grabbed Xnews quick, but it isn't performing very well.
If nobody knows of a nice one, I might have to make one myself...

-Computerizer

Update: ABN TV

May 3, 2002, 7:55pm
Dear Community,

As some of you may have noticed, all of the ads have been removed from ABN
TV and the world A!!!!ABN is currently not open to the public. This is
because ABN TV is being rebuilt, almost from the ground up. The new ABN TV
will include:
- New Administration
- Clean, Crisp Images
- More Live Shows
- More Series
- Exclusive Cy Event Coverage

We are looking for a new staff to help build up and maintain this all-new
ABN TV. We need Studio Builders, Camera Operators,
Organizers/Administration, hosts or casts for shows, and more. If you are
interested in any sort of position at ABN TV and you work good in teams,
please telegram me, Computerizer. We will be adding lots of staff in the
next couple weeks, so the chances are, if you are qualified and dedicated,
you may be selected. We'd love to have you!

Also, it seems that some people are thinking that our new logo (which is on
the TV's currently rotating informational ads) says "ARN" and not "ABN". We
will try to create a logo in which the shadow of "TV" doesn't cover the "B"
so that it doesn't look like an "R" any more.

Thanks much, and I hope you look forward to the all-new ABN TV!
Computerizer

Text Problems?

Jun 8, 2002, 2:46pm
I just took the following screenshot in Active Worlds. I don't know what
happened to caused it, but I think I sent a telegram then all the text in
the chat window got totally screwed up:
http://tyrel.haveman.net/images/awchatwacked.gif
Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?
-Computerizer

Cy Awards Nomination Status

Jun 30, 2002, 3:08am
Actually, it doesn't really matter WHO made the nominations, just that
the nominations were made (you can nominate yourself or others)...

-Computerizer

"glitter kitty" <seanderson at iprimus.com.au> wrote in
news:3d19f0b0 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Something just occured to me so I went to check the nomination page.
> How do you prevent people voting on behalf of others? I mean the
> criteria you use is Name, citnum and email address ... if you go
> through the NG posts for example you get two of those and the citnum
> you get just by adding the contact to your list ... whammo you can
> vote on their behalf. If you use a cgi proxy (most people should use
> an http anonymiser these days ... I said should) so you wont even get
> the same ISP each time ...
>
> How is this system secure exactly? I know you'll say you depend on
> honesty but hey it only takes one dishonest person like insanity for
> example to do such an easy thing ... just curious ...
>
> Before you go calling me a hacker or anything, I'm not ... its just a
> bloody great big hole in your system that anyone with an ounce of
> brains can see ... of course anyone without an ounce of brains can
> also see it now lol!!
>
> Glitter

[View Quote]

New Cy Pages!!!!!

Apr 26, 2002, 7:33pm
Greetings,

Many of you are putting down my web design for the new Cy Awards web site at
http://www.awcommunity.org/cyawards/ . I wanted to comment on the site a little
bit.

First, and most importantly, I just want to let everyone know that I am open to
suggestions for everyone regarding the web site. Already I have lightened the
font color some, as per demand, because a minority of people seem to have
trouble seeing it on their darker monitors.

You're right, that the template for the site I made was a quickly-made page. It
was supposed to be just a sample page to show AlphaBit that I could make some
sort of web page. However, she liked it so much, that I felt any immediate
changes to improve it would not be neccessary. Since then, I have personally
entered in the entire text of every page on the site, and I have created lots of
PHP and Perl to help run the site and related things much better, in addition to
donating server space and server processor time to the Cy Awards at my own
expense.

If you want to help out with the web site, don't put it down, give me
suggestions. As I said, I am completely open to suggestions from anyone. Please
let me know. I plan to ignore any more put-downs about my web design. I own a
web hosting and web design company, and I don't intend for anyone to hurt the
reputation of myself or my company in any way.

Computerizer,
Cy Awards Webmaster

[View Quote] > Well.. When you said "new" I was expecting something a little *newer* than
> that... That was so easy to slop together I could almost cry!
>
> Just so everyone can see... This was my entry: http://207.59.10.4/cyawards/
> Please tell me what you think...
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jeremy Booker
> JTech Web Systems
> (www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

New Cy Pages!!!!!

Apr 26, 2002, 10:02pm
I don't know if I'm reading wrong or not, but it looks to me like that URL
says:
"
If you do choose to stray from black on white, make sure that there is
enough contrast between your text and background colors so that your
visitors will not have trouble reading your content.
"
Which is exactly why I am making the text color brighter, so it contrasts
better with the background (I did say this on the Cy Awards forums and in
my previous message here)

-Computerizer

"83058" <xavarella at unforgettable.com> wrote in
news:3cc9e4f1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> http://www.webmastersdirectory.com/articles/web_design/118.shtml

Networks

May 5, 2002, 3:11pm
Thank you for suggesting this, however please be aware that ABN TV has
exclusive rights to televise the 2002 Cy Awards, which means the awards
ceremony and related events can and will be televised on ABN TV only.

As for the AW TV Alliance, it is still being worked on, and isn't complete
(it needs a much better web design, for example), but we do encourage any
stations who are up and running to apply for membership!

Thanks,
Computerizer
Cy Awards Webmaster (2002)
ABN TV Operations Manager (2002)
AWTV Alliance Founder (2001)

"pc hamster" <pchamster at email.msn.com> wrote in
news:3cd20cd5 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Hi everyone:
>
> coming up, EMAIL THESE GUYS so that it can be televised LIVE!!! It'd
> be GREAT to see the Cy Awards on TV like other award shows (except the
> Webbys). I wonder if the cys *have* been carried live before... Just
> curious... :-)
>

> Patrick Cook
> Mayor - City of Hamsterville
> Owner - KPDC Internet TV
> pchamster at msn.com
> Denver, Colorado
> http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/

Browser Tracking....

May 27, 2002, 5:16pm
I highly believe it is likely that this "computer ID" that they use is what
is known to network administrators as a "MAC address". It is a unique
number that is assigned to every network card (or modem) that exists.
Nothing can be determined by the number, other than perhaps the
manufacturer and model number of the network card or modem. It looks
something like: 00-00-00-00-00-00 using the numbers 0-9 and the letters A-F
(hexidecimal, of course). If anyone has the beta and knows exactly what the
numbers look like, could you confirm this please? It may or may not have
dashes in the middle, btw. If they are, in fact, using the MAC address,
there is absolutely nothing for anyone to worry about getting any
"information" about your computer. And sure, some people may just go use a
different computer to get around a ban like this... but it's sure a lot
more difficult than just changing your IP address.
By the way, if you want to know what your MAC address is, go to Start>Run
and type "winipcfg". There is a section labeled "Adapter Address". Again,
if anyone using the beta can find out what the numbers look like so we can
confirm this, it'd be nice... thanks :-)

Browser Tracking....

May 28, 2002, 8:18pm
Sources have informed me that the computer ID is actually not the 'MAC
address'.. sorry

"computerizer" <tyrel at haveman.net> wrote in
news:Xns921B7A299880Etyrelhavemannet at 64.94.241.201:

> I highly believe it is likely that this "computer ID" that they use is
> what is known to network administrators as a "MAC address". It is a
> unique number that is assigned to every network card (or modem) that
> exists. Nothing can be determined by the number, other than perhaps
> the manufacturer and model number of the network card or modem. It
> looks something like: 00-00-00-00-00-00 using the numbers 0-9 and the
> letters A-F (hexidecimal, of course). If anyone has the beta and knows
> exactly what the numbers look like, could you confirm this please? It
> may or may not have dashes in the middle, btw. If they are, in fact,
> using the MAC address, there is absolutely nothing for anyone to worry
> about getting any "information" about your computer. And sure, some
> people may just go use a different computer to get around a ban like
> this... but it's sure a lot more difficult than just changing your IP
> address. By the way, if you want to know what your MAC address is, go
> to Start>Run and type "winipcfg". There is a section labeled "Adapter
> Address". Again, if anyone using the beta can find out what the
> numbers look like so we can confirm this, it'd be nice... thanks :-)

Browser Tracking....

May 29, 2002, 11:23pm
Do you have a better idea?

> like causing trouble or anything .... I'm just trying to point out
> that its not really what I call secure.

The end of an era

May 31, 2002, 1:29pm
which chat log is this? I must has missed it...

-Computerizer

"brant" <awteen at shoemakervillage.org> wrote in
news:3cf77be0$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Well, that chat log said that 3.3 is to be released within a few hours
> (i.e. before the ceremony). I doubt that AW would release it after
> business hours, and besides, release dates for any kind of software,
> no matter what company, are always inevitably delayed, so don't be
> surprised if the log is no longer accurate :)

The end of an era

May 31, 2002, 7:56pm
Yeah, that's what I meant.. WHAT CHAT LOG?!? lol
but it doesn't matter now anyway, cuz 3.3 is out

-Computerizer