From: "ihnk" <IHNK at email.msn.com>
Newsgroups: community
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 5:33 PM
Subject: ...abuse?...

> i dunno what this whole thing may look to you. but to me, it looks like
> abuse. i mean what company (ha, ya right) whould raise prices from $20 a
> year to $114 a year? a pretty bad one. a real company whould cut costs. im
> not going to name anyone but there are some useless spending going on.
also,
> a company should not *IGNORE* their users. the only time iv really seen
enzo
> speak is when the new gate came out and when 1000 people came in from the
> BBC2 broadcast. even some of the staff that should be handeling public
stuff
> stay in the dark. the only thing keeping aw a community are the many
> vulenteers (AWEC, AWHS, AWSchool, CYs so on). and i dont get why we should
> pay extra so 3.3 whould come out. to me 3.3 is awful. i mean think about
> it... "private features"... humm.... another way for awcom to ignore and
> block users.... how inviting. and to me any program that asks for a CC to
> test the software is bad news.
>

> now dont get me wrong. i love aw. i enjoy spending time in aw, and it
> kills me to see awcom being slowly floating belly up to the serfice of the
> financial fish tank. (pardon the spelling :-)) . i just wish awcom whould
do
> things a little better.
>
> finally i dont have any objection to a price hike. the nation is
> suffering, so its just natural. but before aw does such a thing id like
them
> to cut costs/staff/ sallary... like the other companys. i whouldnt mind
> paying $40 a year. thats a 100% raise, which is ALOT. but i dont see how
> disableing tourists whould make anything better. we were all tourists once
> (unless u were here in 96).
>
> well im done complaining and boring you guys. ill cya in aw :-)))))
>

> ---IHNK

foxmccloud

Jan 8, 2002, 10:14pm
"swe" <m_swehli at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c3b897a at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> will have no aternative but to come back to activeworlds
This is the flow in your reasoning (and in theirs?) :) They're not selling water or oxygen for us to breathe, we can live without
it. Or some users could decide to create their own. (hint :P)

Fox Mc Cloud

oops,typo, monoplised= monopilised, lol or however its spelt(u know,like
that board game monoply)
***NOTE! I AM NOT NO AW LOVER OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT! SO PLEASE DONT GO ABOUT
FLAMING ME<AS I AM UR FELLOW CITIZEN? :) ***

SWE
emptyco.com - the still empty website :)

lol, this product has been around for ages,so it will take some time to
compete with them,or alot of programmers :). and i never said that IF thats
what they are really doing cuz lol,i repeat, what do i know,im 15 :).

well good luck in ur uni,and if u ever need beta testers or modelers, e-mail
me :)
[View Quote]

cozmo

Jan 8, 2002, 11:51pm
how can that be that smart...,,yes smart if you mean as in smart enough to
get their entire customer base to scream and run for their wallets. Just
becuase we're all here now does not mean were all going to pay. No, so
shutting down the places that people will go (or makign them pay) when they
jack up the prices won't help then anymore then their going now, now people
will just plain leave instead of going ot those other unis and then they
lose the nuiserver payments also. Oh yes, what a BRILLIANT plan!

[View Quote]

blasto

Jan 9, 2002, 12:04am
It's like microsoft (but on a lower scale), if you get anywhere near what
they've created they'll iether buy you out or run you out of business!

Jan 9, 2002, 12:09am
emm,no the fact is there is nowhere else to go,no other aw like place. like
say atmosphere by adobe has no communitee cuz there aall like sperate
worlds.and theres no way to keep in contact with people. or maybe everquest
which desnt have building,cuz its just a none stop game. just think it over
first before u reply. take it from a buissness prospective

[View Quote]

foxmccloud

Jan 9, 2002, 2:38am
There's much, much room for other companies to compete :)
Even with Microsoft. There ARE other companies making money on other operating systems. Maybe they're not the best (money-wise), but
if they can make a living out of it, where's the problem?

Fox Mc Cloud

"blasto" <GovDion at subdimension.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c3ba53a$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> It's like microsoft (but on a lower scale), if you get anywhere near what
> they've created they'll iether buy you out or run you out of business!

blasto

Jan 9, 2002, 12:05pm
yes, macintosh is the only one and that's cause macintosh came up at the
same time microsoft did. Not 20yrs afterward! Linux and unix are their only
competitors and linux and unix are free so there's not much of anyone to
actually buy out! Besides, they're only for advanced users so that's not
much of the market.

Now you see Microsoft trying to run out the gaming console business too. I
don't mind that though, X-Box kicks ass :-P

If I remember correct, Apples Lisa was even before Microsoft
brought out their Windows 286. It must have been the first
computer that you actually could buy with mouse and a GUI,
that was part of the OS. There were very few others earlier,
but they were more than the price of a good car.

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

ya,i think ur right. but it wasnt the first computer with a mouse and gui
that was ever made :) some other company made it, but the execs didnt like
it or something,so it was rejected. then mac stole it. lol,something like
that,watched it in a movie :)

SWE

I think they pay or payed licence fees to Xerox (the other company).

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

blasto

Jan 9, 2002, 2:48pm
*rolls eyes* Why are we talking about who came with the first computer? LOL

no, because AW is sort off crappy, slow, uses allready pretty much old
stuff... and there are alternatives, like Blaxxun, even one where worlds are
free and go on webpages (Adobe Atmosphere, even created by a competent
company!), Worlds (ok, so it's a bit crappy, but they still make loads of
money, in contrast to AW). AW is far from the best, even though it has been
around for 7 years... What they're doing is the cream of stupidity, and they
will go bankrupt :-)) wouldn't be hard to compete with them either, if you
know your way around 3D programming...

blasto

Jan 9, 2002, 3:00pm
Actually, it wouldn't be the easiest thing on the planet, I assure you. AW
is in no way slow if you have a 3dfx card. If you do not have a 3d video
card, then you're just screwed, nothing will work well for you. Blaxxun is
worse than horseshit, LOL :-P They are like in a different league, they have
a completely different approach to how things are done. And their "worlds"
or houses, are nowhere near as configurable as AW. Nothing is anywhere near
AW and nothing ever will be (until after AW goes under). Especially have 3.3
(with extra lighting features including shadows and sunrays from a backdrop
and the extra axis.

Much of what comes in 3.3 will make AW yet slower for you people who are
still going slow as hell with 3.2 (I get 30fps when I'm not even moving and
about 75 to 80 in crowded areas with near to no slow-down at all). Believe
me, it's a LOT harder than it seems. Most of the work is trying to make sure
that it's all compatible with shitty systems so that more people can be on
AW as well, rather than going at 0.5fps LOL :-P

Out of bounds error in thread "...abuse?..."

Press yes, no or maybe to continue.
To cancel, press Ctrl, Alt and Del together or the
Anykey, if you have it on your keyboard. Please read
the licence agreement before using the Anykey and
confirm with yes, no or maybe.

[View Quote]

blasto

Jan 9, 2002, 4:10pm
*punches ctrl alt delete excessively*
HEY! What's that blue scre... AHHH!!!!
[View Quote]

grimble

Jan 9, 2002, 4:30pm
"Blaxxun is worse than horseshit" ... Aye!!!

foxmccloud

Jan 9, 2002, 4:53pm
A few comments here. First, MOST unix implementations are paying. Linux is an Unix, and came later than Microsoft, but Unix itself
was there much, much longer before Microshaft. You can make money distributing Linux, too. And you're quite restrictive when saying
macintosh is the only other one. There are many OS's out there... BeOS, OS/2, NetWare, SCO Unix (and other Unices), VMS, OS-9,
FreeBSD, to name just a few...

And excuse me, but X-Box kicks nothing :P

Fox Mc Cloud

"blasto" <GovDion at subdimension.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c3c4e17$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> yes, macintosh is the only one and that's cause macintosh came up at the
> same time microsoft did. Not 20yrs afterward! Linux and unix are their only
> competitors and linux and unix are free so there's not much of anyone to
> actually buy out! Besides, they're only for advanced users so that's not
> much of the market.
>
> Now you see Microsoft trying to run out the gaming console business too. I
> don't mind that though, X-Box kicks ass :-P

blasto

Jan 9, 2002, 5:33pm
LOL, it's slow, it's ugly, it's got no configurability, and that voice thing
is just ANNOYING! :-P
[View Quote]

blasto

Jan 9, 2002, 5:35pm
Play X-Box before you tell me that. I've played it and GameCube and I
honestly cannot tell which is the better system, they're both awesome.

Those other OS's you mentioned are hardly Microsoft competition, although I
do agree, they certainly should be! :-D hehe

lol doubt they paid for it,if they did Xerox would have relised that its
accully valuable.

> Much of what comes in 3.3 will make AW yet slower for you people who are
> still going slow as hell with 3.2 (I get 30fps when I'm not even moving
and
> about 75 to 80 in crowded areas with near to no slow-down at all). Believe
> me, it's a LOT harder than it seems. Most of the work is trying to make
sure
> that it's all compatible with shitty systems so that more people can be on
> AW as well, rather than going at 0.5fps LOL :-P

How can you get higher FPS when there's extra things to render? That makes
no sense. Plus, 3.2 is capped at *around* 30-35 FPS max.

--Bowen--

blasto

Jan 9, 2002, 6:00pm
Then my computer is nuts cause that's what it says. Well, when you're not
moving, why would it have to update at 80fps? I wouldn't ever see the point
of that... LOL. When there's a lot more going on it would require more
updating to catch up with it all.
[View Quote]

foxmccloud

Jan 9, 2002, 6:01pm
I think it's capped at 100fps, rather. That's the max rate I've seen...

Fox Mc Cloud

"bowen" <bowen at omegauniverse.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c3ca0fc at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> and
> sure
>
> How can you get higher FPS when there's extra things to render? That makes
> no sense. Plus, 3.2 is capped at *around* 30-35 FPS max.
>
> --Bowen--

> Play X-Box before you tell me that. I've played it and GameCube and I
> honestly cannot tell which is the better system, they're both awesome.

GameCube has a higher max polygon count. The Mini-DVD's are also based on a
great Sony compression technology. So those give it an edge that it can
hold more information :). Plus, it's smaller and weighs about 5 lbs
compared to the X-Box's 25 (approx). X-Box has a little bit more ram, but
not enough to make a difference. Be careful, if your X-Box overheats you
run around an 80% chance of it blowing up. PS2 even beats the X-Box in some
of the things. Also if I might add, X-Box's controller is VERY poorly
designed LoL.

Ananas said that Roland capped it at low framerate so they could do work
with other programs and not see a degredation in computer proformance. 3.1
was at 100.

Oh blasto, if you're computer isn't rendering much or you're standing still
your framerates would be much higher then they would if you were in a
crowded area with lots of people.

blasto

Jan 9, 2002, 6:48pm
Then what is AW doing to my computer *SCREAM*
[View Quote]

blasto

Jan 9, 2002, 6:53pm
I have yet to see a problem with polygon counts. Why would you want a
mini-DVD? What's the difference in like 3" diameter? LOL. Smaller? So? I
dunno bout you but I don't lug my X-Box all over the place with me. I have
played my X-Box for 6+ hours and even left it on overnight and have yet to
see it overheat or even lag at all.
Lots of people say they dislike the controllers but honestly, I dislike
GameCube's controllers! They're too small and weird feeling, they're just
really small and kinda forces all my fingers to hit so many buttons too
close to my palms... mainly just too small. I like the X-Box's
controllers... maybe that's just cause I have bigger hand's than most people
but *shrug* if the shoe fits... :-P
[View Quote]

grimble

Jan 9, 2002, 8:17pm
Could be a densely populated (object-wise) area ... still plenty of work to
be dont to render the objects within the visibility radius.