AW Ear (Community)

AW Ear // Community

1  |

programmer

Aug 12, 2001, 11:12pm
Dear Activeworlds community,
I have recently (8/11/01) programmed a text-to-speech program for
Activeworlds. The program reads to you the chat in AW. Download AW Ear
at http://ophosting.myip.org/awear/ Please email all suggestions,
problems, bugs, critisizm to dpierce481 at earthlink.net or telegram me in
AW. Also, if you're a town/world owner and would like to advertise AW
Ear, put a picture object at your GZ with the picture as
http://ophosting.myip.org/awear/images/aw_ear.jpg

Thanks,

Programmer

ivie

Aug 13, 2001, 12:36am
Thank You , Thank You . I have tried every text to speech program out
there and none work with AW. This is something that is really needed by me
and I'm sure others also.. Finally the visually impaired can enjoy the
benefit of chat withoput the struggle to read the tiny text... its all i
ever wanted to do.. LOL.. finally I can leave my little world : ))) I'm
so excited...

[View Quote] > Dear Activeworlds community,
> I have recently (8/11/01) programmed a text-to-speech program for
> Activeworlds. The program reads to you the chat in AW. Download AW Ear
> at http://ophosting.myip.org/awear/ Please email all suggestions,
> problems, bugs, critisizm to dpierce481 at earthlink.net or telegram me in
> AW. Also, if you're a town/world owner and would like to advertise AW
> Ear, put a picture object at your GZ with the picture as
> http://ophosting.myip.org/awear/images/aw_ear.jpg
>
> Thanks,
>
> Programmer

facter

Aug 13, 2001, 12:37am
Hmmmm...you should create an installer that detects if you have those
packages installed and if not does it in the installer..saves alot of time
and such =)

Nice one mate =)

F.

[View Quote]

wing

Aug 13, 2001, 1:41am
Wonderful little tool, though I found the additional downloads a little... over the top. Also, the genie download was not
neccessary, assuming you have M$ Office 2k installed. Clippy (or whomever you have as your default assistant) pops up instead. I
prefer clippy. Also, I'm not sure if the first download was even neccessary for Office users.

The disable button also doesn't reenable the enable button :)

[View Quote]

wing

Aug 13, 2001, 1:45am
Also, a slight bug. When I say

http://ophosting.myip.org/awear/ to give someone your link, it calls me "Wing http" instead of Wing.
[View Quote]

wing

Aug 13, 2001, 1:48am
Another bug, it gets stuck on the telegram popup until someone speaks. Not bad though :)
[View Quote]

programmer

Aug 13, 2001, 1:50am
True. I guess I should be that up on the AW Ear website (Actually, I'll do it right now) Also people who have Windows 2000 should
have Microsoft Agent installed already since it comes with their operating system.

[View Quote] > Wonderful little tool, though I found the additional downloads a little... over the top. Also, the genie download was not
> neccessary, assuming you have M$ Office 2k installed. Clippy (or whomever you have as your default assistant) pops up instead. I
> prefer clippy. Also, I'm not sure if the first download was even neccessary for Office users.
>
> The disable button also doesn't reenable the enable button :)

[View Quote]

programmer

Aug 13, 2001, 2:05am
Actually, nevermind about the Windows 2000 thing. It seems that when you run AW Ear on Win2K that you get the character to popup put
all it says is "says". As of today, I'm still trying to figure out what causes this problem since I thought win2K users would have AW
Ear work best. I thought wrong...

[View Quote] > True. I guess I should be that up on the AW Ear website (Actually, I'll do it right now) Also people who have Windows 2000 should
> have Microsoft Agent installed already since it comes with their operating system.

[View Quote]

the derek

Aug 13, 2001, 2:11am
yeah heknows i told him that before he posted he
shoulda said what bugs he was aware of
what ive seen wrong:
disable doesnt allow you toenable
he has it so itlooks to see if youve had a
telegram at all instead of if thelat thing
toappear was a telegrammessage
if the chat is too fast it mightskip things or say
another person said it
it wont read your actual telegrams :oo
if anyone hasnt downloaded it you gotta check it
out!

You prefer clippy? OMG... lol...

SW Chris

(Clippy.... chuckle... LOL.... rofl.)

Another Telegram bug:

I'm not sure on this, but is it supposed to read the telegrams when you
select them? All it says is "says" and does not read the telegram.
Probably because nobody's name is infront of it the text. :)

SW Chris

[View Quote]

programmer

Aug 13, 2001, 3:23am
lol SW Chris. I was surprised he said he prefered clippy too.

[View Quote] > You prefer clippy? OMG... lol...

> SW Chris
>
> (Clippy.... chuckle... LOL.... rofl.)

Boy you replied fast...

SW Chris

[View Quote]

wing

Aug 13, 2001, 4:28am
Clippy is your GOD. Okay, Maybe I'm a little biased since they wouldn't let us turn them off or change them at school but he's just
so fun to play with.

[View Quote]

chucks party

Aug 13, 2001, 4:49am
wtg programmer whoever you are, lol When I read this I know how much this means
to you and people like you with vision problems. Us sight abled people take it
so for granted. I hope it works well for you Ivie :)

[View Quote]

sw comit

Aug 13, 2001, 5:30am
LOL at you playing with clippy, what do you do to him? `,'

btw I think his "official" name is Clippit, right?

[View Quote]

john viper

Aug 13, 2001, 8:05am
http://www.officeclippy.com you be the judge

(while you're there, watch the movies :-))

-JV

[View Quote] > LOL at you playing with clippy, what do you do to him? `,'

> btw I think his "official" name is Clippit, right?

John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

agent1

Aug 13, 2001, 11:53am
Hmm... When I turn on both the "AWEar" and Telegram Notification and click on an already-received telegram, it says "says" and keeps popping up message boxes saying "You have a telegram!".

dzap

Aug 13, 2001, 12:06pm
"tyrell" <tyrell1 at sk.sympatico.ca> skrev i meddelandet
news:3B7764D0.3E085A76 at sk.sympatico.ca...
-snip-
> Requests for future improvements... maybe a 'phonetic' library... The
>person I was testing with has a 'name' that the genie spells out... If
>I type the name phonetically, however, it says it properly... maybe a
>'word = new word' library option so the Genie uses the phonetic 'new
>word' whenever it comes across one it can't say... etc... not a big
>deal... just something to think about... :-)

That function allready exists. If you download the speech control panel
from http://www.microsoft.com/msagent/downloads.htm you can add your own
pronunciations for words.

YMMV tho since I still haven't got AW Ear to work. The character shows
and text get captured to AW Ear but no speech. I have tried some other
agent enabled programs and some work and some don't so I think it's a
system fault. Maybe something with languages since my system is Swedish
W98. Anyone else seen this?

dZap

builderz

Aug 13, 2001, 1:03pm
I told you about this exact same problem in the world Warzone before you
released the bot to the public, Programmer. It has major issues when
running under Windows 2000. And like Wing said, when you press the
Disable button, it doesn't re-enable the Enable button.

Builderz
Stuff-X - Bot & World Hosting Services
http://aw.stuff-x.com/
PGP Key ID: 0xAC0E7073 (for non-commercial use)

[View Quote]

programmer

Aug 13, 2001, 3:37pm
Cool site, John Viper

[View Quote] > http://www.officeclippy.com you be the judge

> (while you're there, watch the movies :-))
>
> -JV

[View Quote]

lanezeri

Aug 13, 2001, 5:36pm
Bz.. Programmer can't stick to one thing.. where is the Omicron Realms?
They were in the process of being made but got cancelled.. this "thing"
won't be updated for a LONG time.. Programmer is a numbnut.. he don't know
how to make things that work.. his "weather bot", his "realms", all of it
got "cancelled".. I don't see ANY future of this "program"..

[View Quote]

programmer

Aug 13, 2001, 7:45pm
I'm still working on Omicron Realms, lanezeri. And what weather bot are you
talking about? And about how you said this thing wont be updated for a long
time.. I just did lol. And you said "it seems like a great program" in a
telegram to me just today about AW Ear. There is a future for this program :-)

[View Quote] > Bz.. Programmer can't stick to one thing.. where is the Omicron Realms?