angelicus // User Search

1  2  |

Possible Memory leak Switching 3.6 to 4.1

May 31, 2006, 9:10pm
hmmmm, I am guessing you have done fresh installs of each?

Have you done a disk clean up recently, specially after installing both 3.6
and 4.1

Also make sure you have cleaned out all your temp folders including all the
hidden ones, also try emptying you prefetch folder under windows, that
sometimes can cause problems.

Do a degrag of your machine, and do a registry check also, this could help
solve some of those little problems.

Do you have a limited amount of space on your machine cause if not, allow AW
to download everything and keep it, that way your not downloading from the
internet every single time.

Just some idea's let me know how it goes.
[View Quote]

Andras"s post on help with 4.1world server

May 31, 2006, 9:13pm
The world server is still in beta mode unless you are running linux. I have
seen the post about Andras having all his worlds running but he is using a
linux system.

I know a hosting person, who host my worlds in fact, and he is part of the
beta testing team, and even he can't find a link to get the world server for
windows.

I guess we are all sh*t out of luck, till aw updates. As I said in previous
posts, once again AW has messed it up.

It's all well and good for all the Cits to have a new browser, but if our
worlds are not there whats the point.
[View Quote]

<no subject>

May 31, 2006, 9:29pm
From: "Angelicus" <james.6446 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Possible Memory leak Switching 3.6 to 4.1
Date: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:10 PM

hmmmm, I am guessing you have done fresh installs of each?

Have you done a disk clean up recently, specially after installing both 3.6
and 4.1

Also make sure you have cleaned out all your temp folders including all the
hidden ones, also try emptying you prefetch folder under windows, that
sometimes can cause problems.

Do a degrag of your machine, and do a registry check also, this could help
solve some of those little problems.

Do you have a limited amount of space on your machine cause if not, allow AW
to download everything and keep it, that way your not downloading from the
internet every single time.

Just some idea's let me know how it goes.
[View Quote]

cell limit in aw

Jun 1, 2006, 7:16pm
I guess that as said a temprorary fix of making the world huge or even mega,
would be a sensible thing to do, if it is a bug, then it will be corrected
(don't I sound confident)

However if this is on an AW world, then there is people far more
knowledgeable than me.

Is anyone who has actually got a private world having this same problem, as
I have 3 worlds to worry about, and need to expect problems once I am able
to use them in 4.1

Thanks in advance
[View Quote]

4.1 Freezes

Jun 2, 2006, 6:44pm
It sounds like your RAM is having trouble, plus of course it is accessing
the same file names.

Maybe try and clear out the prefetch folder under x:/windows/ (x being your
hard disk drive letter)

Also try clearing out all your temp stuff, I have noticed this will a lot
of computers, however I did note that the problem seems to either be older
computers, or due to the size of the worlds, and the download time taken.

I am afraid I haven't had this problem, with switching between 4.1 and 3.6
but then again I am not using AW worlds, so maybe it is just cause there is
so much going on in those worlds.

If you have a copy of both 3.6 and 4.1, then try removing 3.6 and seeing if
your machine still freezes when you open and close 4.1

You could also try using a registry checker, using a disk cleaner, and also
doing a defrag. Not that any of this is guaranteed to cure the problem but
they certainly wouldn't do any harm.
[View Quote]

Some serious problems with 4.1 build 949

Jun 3, 2006, 7:07am
This was a question lots of people were asking in AW Gate today. I sat
there with no problems, running 4.1 even after the new upgrade, however I
wasn't doing anything other than chatting, so I don't know if I just got
lucky, my pc is just good enough to handle it (and no I am not saying mine
is better than anyone elses) or I am going to run into problems as soon as I
try and build etc.

Could it be registry problems in XP? I am running XP 64 edition, and that
has had registry problems in the past. Just an idea.
[View Quote]

Permission to Add/Block Contacts

Jun 4, 2006, 11:48pm
I don't know if anyone knows of this.

It has been pointed out that if you use the "need permission" on your
privacy settings, if you block someone it will send them a gram asking if
it's ok for them to be blocked.

This means that if the person denies it you cannot block them

The only way is to wait till they are there in front of you and mute them,
but again if they bounce then the mute is removed.

Is this an oversite?

Permission to Add/Block Contacts

Jun 5, 2006, 3:07am
Thank you equin0x
[View Quote]

4.1 does NOT work

Jun 7, 2006, 4:21pm
Geez where have you been dragon knight. We had to listen to the endless
rantings last week.

If you think bitching on here is somehow going to help change AW or AWI then
your wrong.

Have you ever thought of actually asking why it crashes?

Have you thought of maybe telling people what your computer spec is?

If you don't like 4.1 then fair enough, leave AW, but don't sit in the NG's
bitching about leaving. Especially since windows crashes all the time but
people still use it.

Anyway, have a nice life, and err, maybe when you get some paitence you can
realise that new software always has bugs.

[View Quote]

Pewters cost less than $442 now

Jun 12, 2006, 7:57pm
If any of you are interested

www.tigerdirect.com is great for barebone and cheap deals

Whoever it was that said their computer cost $2000, you got ripped.

My system cost Me less than a $1000 and I have seen some pretty decent
systems for the prices the other guys are quoting.

Anyway. I just thought this might help.

Oh, piece of advice, if you buy a dell, don't expect to be able to do much
with it. My wife had one, and the case is specificall designed to be pretty
much non-upgradeable.

If you can do it, my advice, order/buy the parts yourself, and piece it
together. If you are unsure, ask in here, or go to a store like Fry's
Electronics, or as above Tiger Direct, and get a barebones system. These
are basically a case, with all the parts already done, without things like
monitors, keyboards etc, but lets face it, if your sitting here reading
this, you already have them (lol).
[View Quote]

Pewters cost less than $442 now

Jun 13, 2006, 12:51am
What I mean was, was that yes you can do all the things with Dell, but thats
when you buy it, once you get it however, it leaves very little to be able
to do anything with.

However, I do agree with you on the fact that if you dont know what your
doing, then Dell is a good place to start as they do have quality parts.

My only reason for suggesting Tiger Direct was because of the pricing and
this obviously seems a concern for the person.

Not trying to start anything here, just offering help is all.
[View Quote]

Pewters cost less than $442 now

Jun 13, 2006, 8:10pm
ahhh, then that explains it. My apologies, if you got them when they first
came out that explains the heavy pricing.

I personally still would not have paid $2,000 for a computer, but then again
the computer I built a year ago wasn't that bad, cost me $500 and was out of
date a year later.

I personally try to balance it out. I don't need a computer that is cutting
edge, but I do believe in buying the best you can get within the budget you
have.

So again my apologies for the comment, but I still don't agree with the high
price tags they put on new graphics cards etc.

[View Quote]

I like the new contact list feature

Jun 13, 2006, 8:13pm
Hi to Lady NightHawk

I was wondering if I was one of the people You removed. I had added You a
long time back, when I was looking at avatars. I re-added you when I
switched back over to 4.1, but not with any question mark, so if it came up
with a question mark I don't know why and I guess I am doing something
wrong.

I guess I have some sort of setting wrong?

If you have the option for confirming a join request would that
automatically put a ? by your name if you added someone?

Anyway, was not intentional on my part
[View Quote]

I like the new contact list feature

Jun 15, 2006, 9:00pm
Well, I am not blond and I can't remember when/where etc, I just remember
speaking to You regarding Av's I think and maybe object building, not quite
sure, but no worries, I can remember Your name without it being on My list.

Have fun
[View Quote]

Mall Construction

Jun 20, 2006, 11:12pm
Sounds like an interesting project.

Shame I have 2 worlds to build/work on already, else I'd help you out

[View Quote]

Missing icons

Jun 23, 2006, 8:50pm
Hi to all

A quick question from a friend of mine.

She sent me a screen shot of her object dialog box.

It would appear that the Snap to Grid and Reset Rotation buttons are not
there, and the last quarter of the Roll -Z button is cut off, no matter how
wide you make the object dialog box.

Has anyone else heard of this, and if so, do they know how to fix it?

Thanks

Missing icons

Jun 26, 2006, 9:11pm
Hi Mauz

I will get her to try that.

I have never seen it before either, it's just like the background is
covering the icons up.

Anyway, thanks
[View Quote]

Take Two

Jul 6, 2006, 4:05pm
Shame it's more to do with popularity than quality.