Zone Alarm (Community)

Zone Alarm // Community

1  |

facter facter@awsupport

Feb 8, 2001, 6:58pm
It has been noticed by us here at Tech support, that the program Zone Alarm
and AW really dont work well together - in fact, zone alarm tends to block
AW from working at all, and treats it as a rouge program.

What I want to know is, have any of you used Zone alarm and got AW working
with it - the worst things about zonealarm, is that even uninstalling it,
does not always unblock the ports - for some wierd reason.

Just after anyones experiences with the program =)

F.

alphabit phalpha

Feb 8, 2001, 7:04pm
Hi Facter...yes....I have used ZoneAlarm for quite some time now.
No problems to report.
I think the settings for how much security a person wants might be causing
the problems for others?
Also...I use Xitami Server software.
Currently running my worlds off Sprint Wireless Connectivity, but have been
on Road Runner prior to that.

[View Quote]

moria

Feb 8, 2001, 7:21pm
Greetings F.

I tried it and had to do a reformat to get rid of it..

what was wierd was it SEEMED to be working fine (I could talk, build etc),
but in fact it wasnt taking updates etc, so although you thought AW was
working fine, it was sometimes blocking retrievals of info from some servers
that had odd port settings. Also noticed that some people were unable to
talk to me, they were saying things but it was being blocked.

Often what I saw on screen as objects, posters, banners etc were old copies
that Zone Alarm had refused to update without reason, although I had no way
of knowing at the time.

Once I deleted it and reformatted, then all the worlds updated and it was
fine again.

Moria

[View Quote]

baron

Feb 8, 2001, 7:29pm
The only problems I've seen with ZA is when it's installed on localized versions of WinMe especially when installing an older d/l of the program. Tends to block most connections, not just AW, plus it causes available system resources to drop a lot (memory leak?). A brief statement in their support site leads me to believe they are aware and working on the problem. In any other windows version (95, 98, 98SE, Win2K) ZA works without a prob with AW, of course file transfer requires "Allow Server". About the "weird reason" while uninstalling check out http://www.zonelabs.com/services/support_common.htm#25

Baron

[View Quote] What I want to know is, have any of you used Zone alarm and got AW working with it - the worst things about zonealarm, is that even uninstalling it, does not always unblock the ports - for some wierd reason.

Just after anyones experiences with the program =)

F.

facter facter@awsupport

Thats exactly the problem that is being reported to me in quite a few
cases - but the not oing updates is new one, most cases, people just
couldnt connect to our servers, thanks for that - I know a little more on it
now.

but the whole reformatting thing is very harsh, and this isnt the first ime
its been seen.

F.

> Moria

[View Quote]

facter facter@awsupport

Feb 8, 2001, 7:47pm
[View Quote] Thanks Baron, looking at it now, it does appear as if alot of the reports
are to do with ME - i'll keep an eye on that one.

f.

[View Quote]

tony56

Feb 8, 2001, 8:15pm
ZoneAlarm is just fine for me.

Win98SE

--
- Tony56 (Tony M.) [chandler56 at mail.com]
"All typos are optical illusions"

xero

Feb 8, 2001, 8:17pm
Stupid software firewalls. LoL..BlackIce was always nicer then zone alarm,
no problems with AW or hosting worlds on AW either.

--
-Xero

nova n@n.com

Feb 8, 2001, 8:51pm
heheh i wish i had kept logs from a convo me and a freind had.
heres the gist of it though
freind some ones trying to hack me
me yeh no biggy there most likly just rpobing random ips
freind there he goes again
finaly we figured out it was me that was trigering the thing every time i
said somethign boom heres a hacker knocking.
ive never had good luck with sw based fire walls.
[View Quote]

xero

Feb 8, 2001, 9:03pm
LoL it falsely reports a lot but atleast it works..

--
-Xero

j b e l l

Feb 8, 2001, 9:39pm
i've yet to have any problems with ZA... winME

--
J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

birdmike

Feb 8, 2001, 10:02pm
I have WindowsME and at first it blocked my AW. Then I reinstalled and it
has been working fine.

I have had very good luck with it. If they are having problems with blocked
ports, turn your security settings down.

:)
SW Chris

[View Quote]

andras

Feb 8, 2001, 10:18pm
I'm using ZAP (the pay version of ZA) with not a single hickup since about october. I run worlds behind it, several browsers (old and new versions) , I do updates. You name it :)

IMO it is doing its job just perfectly. I know how to set it up, played a lot with it and uninstalled twice - just to test the uninstall - without any problem.

W2K, NT4.0 and W95 (I never had 98 nor ME).
Andras

[View Quote]

dzap

Feb 8, 2001, 10:41pm
"facter" <"Facter at AWsupport"> skrev i meddelandet
news:3a830870$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> It has been noticed by us here at Tech support, that the program Zone
Alarm
> and AW really dont work well together - in fact, zone alarm tends to
block
> AW from working at all, and treats it as a rouge program.
>
> What I want to know is, have any of you used Zone alarm and got AW
working
> with it - the worst things about zonealarm, is that even uninstalling
it,
> does not always unblock the ports - for some wierd reason.
>
> Just after anyones experiences with the program =)

Using ZA on my NT server with a world hosted. Doing my world surfing
from a computer behind the server.
Using low sercurity on the local side and medium on the internet side.
No problems so far.

Jonas

builderz

Feb 8, 2001, 11:42pm
That's because BlackICE does not support outbound monitoring, only
inbound.

-Builderz

[View Quote]

builderz

Feb 8, 2001, 11:58pm
I have been using ZoneAlarm Pro (on the High setting for both Internet
and Local) on Windows 98SE, Me, and 2000 computers without ANY problems
with Active Worlds. If it asks you "Do you want to allow Active Worlds
Browser to access the Internet?", simply press "Yes" the first time you
run AW. It will ask you if you want to allow AW to act as a server
(depending on your security level, it may not do this) when you try and
use the file transfer method. Just press "Yes" again. If you don't want
to keep pressing "Yes" the next time you run the browser, go to the
Programs tab, find your AW browser, and put a check next to "Allow
connect" and "Allow server" (if you want file transfer abilities) for
both Local and Internet. I also use ZAP on a Windows 2000 Professional
system that I host bots and worlds on without any problems. ZAP is one
of the best software based firewalls on the market. If you can't connect
to AW using it, try adjusting the security levels to "Medium." If that
doesn't work, a free decent firewall alternative is Tiny Personal
Firewall, located at http://www.tinysoftware.com/pwall.php.

-Builderz

[View Quote]

andras

Feb 9, 2001, 12:05am
With ZAP (ZoneAlarm Pro) - I never lowered the security level from High. Proper port settings/program settings should fly with AW browser AND server (and even with bots!)
Andras

[View Quote]

wing

Feb 9, 2001, 12:23am
Just installed ZoneAlarm to one of my computers. No problems while running
nor after uninstalling. Cheap firewall. Now I need to disinfect the hard
drive. Anyway, heres system config.

Win98 SE, TNT2 Vanta Plus, Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (manufacturered after
Creative bought Ensoniq), 64mb RAM, AMD K6-2 550 connecting to the internet
via TCP/IP 56k dialup on local modem. All drivers updated, NO Windows
updates with the exception of IE5.5.

--
Wing
This little spot is dedicated to my girl, Jessie.
bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]

builderz

Feb 9, 2001, 12:39am
Yep, I totally agree. I don't ever recall setting ZAP to anything lower
than High. ZAP is great to customize which ports bots and worlds should
use and which ports should be blocked, like you said.

-Builderz

[View Quote]

datedman

Feb 10, 2001, 5:28pm
Try Norton Firewall, it rocks. :)

[View Quote] > heheh i wish i had kept logs from a convo me and a freind had.
> heres the gist of it though
> freind some ones trying to hack me
> me yeh no biggy there most likly just rpobing random ips
> freind there he goes again
> finaly we figured out it was me that was trigering the thing every time i
> said somethign boom heres a hacker knocking.
> ive never had good luck with sw based fire walls.
[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

May 10, 2001, 1:05am
Hi Factor
I used to used Zone alarm a while back but never give it any thought when
having problems with aw access, since re formating hd and installing a
difrent firewall all seems to have settled down.
The problems I was having ranged from system crashes when in-world to failts
in the aworld.exe program.

It never totally blocked access, just crashed it at times when running.

[View Quote]

jfk2

May 11, 2001, 1:16am
I don't use ZoneAlarm... [BlackIce for me] But my nextdoor neighbor
uses it all the time. HE can still run AW but his is a little different.
Since he only has a 1st - 2nd generation 3d vider card he has to use the
3.0 browser in software excellerated video mode for him to even see aw...
As I've tried many times as a tourist on his computer popping into Broadway
world [That is one reason I got away with my Broadway visits... And on his
ISP address too] and all Just In could do was say... Hmmmm
your friend is in RPG World... Hmmmm..... Eric's friend was sitting
there in Broadway World instead whil mine was running at the time
in my apartment just down the hall... {How else can a friend show some
newbie TOURIST in record time what to do...] just down the hall means
one door away down the hall lolol..... But all Just In & OneSummer
could do was look on theit contacts [SEE ME LIT] and tell my friend Eric
to go shove off as polite as Just In knows how...
AIM... on my friend Eric... FIRE [POP YOU HAVE BEEN EJECTED FROM
BROWDWAY WORLD]
And my friend knows like i do the importance of CHAT LOGS & OTHER LOGS...
But any ways... he can get in AW... he has not tried for any other universe
like i have... So i don't know if his ZoneAlarm will prevent him on anything
other than AW.
My BlackIce will let me connect to I'M A CIT IN THESE LOCATIONS....
AW, Vectorscape, Outerworlds, City 4 All, Dreamland Park Universe,
Cybernet Universe, and lastly Galaxy Worlds Universe... THANK MY LUCKY
STARS.... No Just In's yet out there so far....

wizard myrddin <avrquest at ntlworld.com> wrote in