US Flag (General Discussion)

US Flag // General Discussion

1  2  |

leaf

Nov 26, 2003, 2:49pm
Just a general query -
As I was browsing the internet looking for flags, I came across
http://www.flags.net - it stated under the US Flag some special notes:

"Special flag protocol rules apply: the flag does not dip in salute. The
flag should never be allowed to touch the ground - if it does it should be
replaced with a new flag, and the soiled flag properly disposed of, for
example by giving it to the American Legion who will dispose of it with
honour."

Is this really true?

binarybud

Nov 26, 2003, 2:56pm
sure is.

[View Quote]

leaf

Nov 26, 2003, 3:07pm
So if say the flag fell down because of some random reason - you'd have to
go and buy a new flag? Do all americans follow this rule or do some just
stick it back up again?

- Leaf

[View Quote]

weyoun

Nov 26, 2003, 3:13pm
use it as plaster rag

[View Quote]

light form

Nov 26, 2003, 3:19pm
I depends. If the flag touches the ground as an accident, i.e. the corner
touches the ground while being lowered, it is usually over looked and folded
according to specs. However, if the US flag touches the ground in an
"undignified" manner, i.e. it falls completely on the ground, or is trampled
on, then it is burned in a proper manner. The reason you would give it to an
American Legion Post is because they routinely hold flag burning sessions,
to destroy defiled American flags. You may keep the flag, but it cannot be
hoisted.
This may seem silly, and a bit over ceremonial (you have to remember, the
flag represents the nation, and its people. It by it self is nothing, but
what it stands for it very precious, thus is why it is held in such high
regard.

LF

weyoun

Nov 26, 2003, 3:53pm
they burn their own flag? O_O
too funny

"leaf" <Leaf321064 at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3fc4d98c at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Just a general query -
> As I was browsing the internet looking for flags, I came across
> http://www.flags.net - it stated under the US Flag some special notes:
>
> "Special flag protocol rules apply: the flag does not dip in salute.
> The flag should never be allowed to touch the ground - if it does it
> should be replaced with a new flag, and the soiled flag properly
> disposed of, for example by giving it to the American Legion who will
> dispose of it with honour."
>
> Is this really true?

That's a pretty standard flag protocol. Of course, you usually don't go and
burn your flag if you accidentally drop it or something, it's if a flag is
deterioated. Don't know how many people follow their country's flag
protocol, though.

KAH

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 26, 2003, 4:05pm
[View Quote] > they burn their own flag? O_O
> too funny

Yup, it's okay if done right... or you can just bury it.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

binarybud

Nov 26, 2003, 4:10pm
If you are laughing at this, which I believe you are....then you just do not understand what your laughing at...:) Do some web searches,... Learn what your laughing at...... bottom line is RESPECT, and if you cannot generate that emotion then herein lies the problem.

[View Quote]

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 26, 2003, 4:12pm
[View Quote] > If you are laughing at this, which I believe you are....then you just do not understand what your laughing at...:) Do some web searches,... Learn what your laughing at...... bottom line is RESPECT, and if you cannot generate that emotion then herein lies the problem.

I'm sure he's just never taken the time to read standard flag protocols
in general. Most countries follow this. Ours may be more radical
though, considering the origin of our nation.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

mod

Nov 26, 2003, 4:26pm
My unit participates in a flag retirement ceremony every october at a place
called tower city, PA. There are many rules that you are supposed to follow,
but i will just adress a few. Flag should not be dipped - the american flag
is normally marched with a state flag, and a corps flag they get dipped out
when the national anthem is played or when reporting in, the american flag
always stands fast. If a flag is worn or has been thoroughly disrespected by
touching the ground in an inapropriate manner (you may need to lay the flag
on the ground in the case of a garrison flag which is enourmous, at some
point) it is to be retired in a public ceremony or a private ceremonial
burning. You cant just throw a flag away... Also the flag should only be
flown upside down if you are in distress, such as on a boat. and the union
side should always be closest to the heart. The flag cannot be flown through
the night unless it is properly lighted, and should never be draped over
anything (like being used like a table cloth).
These are procedures which I must follow everyday, so I figured I would
share them with you :)

-Mod

and just think :O The rest of the world uses em for burning or polishing
tables!

- MR

[View Quote]

light form

Nov 26, 2003, 6:35pm
I guess the rest of the world knows how cheap the Union Jack is; not worth
burning.

LF

mod

Nov 26, 2003, 6:42pm
Wow guys that was really cool. I don't like a lot of the things other
countries do, but I don't go and disrespect them. Also as much as I hate it,
if the U.S wasn't an international police force then the world would be in
chaos.

-Mod

[View Quote]

weyoun

Nov 26, 2003, 6:50pm
hahhahahaha thats some funny bullshit!
ya know, without the US the world would be a more peaceful place, for real

[View Quote]

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Nov 26, 2003, 6:50pm
nice to hear you talking about respect bud :-)

[View Quote]

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Nov 26, 2003, 6:55pm
is that why ppl die to get here to share our freedom ?

[View Quote]

weyoun

Nov 26, 2003, 7:11pm
your freedom? lmfao thats a joke!
wouldnt go there for a million
[View Quote]

leaf

Nov 26, 2003, 7:17pm
Geez LF - no need to go crazy - Here in the UK flags are pretty much flags -
the only places you see them are outside hotels, royal institutes/ buildings
To me a flag is a flag - nothing more, nothing less.

[View Quote]

leaf

Nov 26, 2003, 7:21pm
I really do admire American patriotism and loyalty to their country - its
something that we used to have in England, which is now gone.

Please lets not get started on the whole US vs the rest of the world issue -
its like shovelling snow when its snowing. Americans won't agree with what
everyone else says and everyone else won't agree with what Americans say.

[View Quote]

binarybud

Nov 26, 2003, 7:31pm
Which proves you know nothing about our country...:)

[View Quote]

binarybud

Nov 26, 2003, 7:32pm
Thanx Linn...;)

[View Quote]

weyoun

Nov 26, 2003, 7:42pm
in your dreams maybe, but it proves that you dont know shit about it
who would want to go there just to get shot by some fucking nigga?
[View Quote]

binarybud

Nov 26, 2003, 7:46pm
your an idiot end of convo......

Yes... we represent ourselves... A flag is just an emblum, it means nothing
without people...

- MR

[View Quote]

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 26, 2003, 7:53pm
[View Quote] I'm sorry... I think we fought Japan single handedly, and came to Europe
to do some fighting. Without the US, there would be no Europe, or would
there be an Asia.

The Soviet Union did little to stop advancing NAZI forces, so spare me
that rebuttal. In fact the conditions were so horrible in the Soviet
Union, Soviet soldiers would surrender to unarmed NAZI scouts...

In short... the world is much better with us around. But, I guess
France would've done just as much without us... oh wait... that country
was devestated by NAZI forces. No bombs on Paris.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Nov 26, 2003, 8:51pm
yw :-)

[View Quote]

alexthemartian

Nov 26, 2003, 10:28pm
I have retired many flags before in ceremonys in boy scouts.. and the
retirement of flags alsos apply to US flags that are weather-beaten and torn
edges, etc (a.k.a very old).

other rules for flags is that no US flag should be out in bad weather.

No US flag should be up on a flag pole at night unless it is well lit by
some sort of light.

When the US flag is displayed on a staff mounted to the wall of a room, it
should flown to the right at the front of the room (in a classroom this
means to the teacher's right), and any other flags displayed from separate
staffs should be to the U.S. Flag's left.

If several flags are flown from the same mounting, the US flag should be
centered and hold prominence.

When displayed against a wall with another flag on crossed staffs, the US
flag should be to its own right, and the staff of the US flag should be in
front of the staff of any other flag so displayed.

If the US flag and annother flag (state flag most likely) are displayed
together against a wall, the US flag should have the position on the
observer's left.

No other flag should be larger then the US flag, but can be the same exact
size.

If the flag is suspended vericly, the field of blue should be on the top and
on the top-left edge of the flag.

When the flag is displayed in a window, it should be displayed to look
correct from the outside of the building.

When hanged on a staff on a building, Hang it over the sidewalk with the
stars away from the building.
When hanged over a street, hang the flag with the stars to the east on a
north- south street or north on an east-west street.north on an east-west
street.

If the flag is going to be at Half-Mast, you should raise it all the way to
the top the lower it half-way, and then when taking it down raise it all the
way to the top and lower it.

and an upside-down US flag is considered a distress signal

[View Quote]

lioness.

Nov 27, 2003, 4:59am
Are you a "skinhead" by any chance? That was one of the most prejudiced
remarks I've EVER seen in these newsgroups or in AW in general regardless of
any country insinuation you might be making. For one thing, ... anybody
....of any race ...could be a cold blooded killer. And there are murderers in
every country in the world. This country welcomes everybody, no matter what
ethnic background, race or creed. Just because you would never want to set
foot in the USA, you shouldn't be judging people who come here looking for a
better life or who have family already living here. Don't just assume a
particular group of people here are the violent ones. It might surprise you
to learn there are just as many caucasian, asian, and hispanic criminals in
this country and probably in yours too. You can also add to that group all
the different religious backgrounds of those criminals. Dunno what leads you
to believe what you said is true. But it sure sounds like stereotyping to
me. No one race or religious creed is better than the others in this world.
We all are capable of hate and also peace. And in case you didn't know, the
word "nigga" is one of the most hateful things you can say anywhere in the
world. It is very offensive to most people who wish for peace. If you can't
understand why people are offended by that word, please update yourself on
the history of the African Americans and of segragation. Don't just go by
"hear-say" in your own country.

[View Quote]

weyoun

Nov 27, 2003, 5:30am
lmao if you'd pay more attention you'd know that they even call themselves
niggaz