World Hosting (General Discussion)

World Hosting // General Discussion

1  |

r i c h a r d

Aug 2, 2003, 6:33am
I have started hosting worlds on my 2 windows servers. I hope to soon write
a small program that will allow you to remote administer your worlds and
only your worlds with out other world owners being able to access yours as
well as there own that I host. I will also offer hosting on other universes
apon request. See the site below for more details.

http://www.xeonsoft.co.uk/awhosting.htm

I soon hope to start bot hosting for world owners and a possibley rent my
object rather which i have started expanding. The path my also be rentable
by other users for there worlds.

In the next few days I will improve the site to add hosting news and a
network status information. Until i complete my remote admin until i will
take any changes to the worlds via telegram and email.

john

Aug 2, 2003, 6:56am
Does this mean I have to pay now :-O.... I guess it is reliable.... hmm...
lol

~John

[View Quote]

john

Aug 2, 2003, 6:58am
Err - Just thought it sounded a little sarcastic... it honestly is good
hosting....... <sarcasm>not</sarcasm> :-D lol!

~John

[View Quote]

r i c h a r d

Aug 2, 2003, 7:05am
Well thats johns sence of humor for you!

[View Quote] You could just run seperate instances of the server... It's not like
it's that big of a ram sucker for dedicated servers.

No of SETI units returned: 57
Processing time: 48 days, 5 hours.
(Total hours: 1157)
www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

r i c h a r d

Aug 2, 2003, 7:06am
No, cause then they could just add extra worlds :)

[View Quote] Oh, so it's a per world basis that you're charging people? What you
should do is give person access to the server instance and have a
program check and charge them accordingly to every world added. :P

No of SETI units returned: 57
Processing time: 48 days, 5 hours.
(Total hours: 1157)
www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

pc hamster

Aug 2, 2003, 7:28am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] [snip...]

Just wanted to say that it's good to hear that you're not leaving anytime
soon Richard (or so it appears anyway :-)).

Cheers for now everyone :-)

PC Hamster
Mayor - City Of Hamsterville
Hamster Ground Zero Area - AW 5000N 272E
pchamster at comcast.net
Denver, Colorado (my REAL city :-))

---

john

Aug 2, 2003, 8:21am
Oh no, just when I got my hopes up j/k, lol

~John

[View Quote]

r i c h a r d

Aug 2, 2003, 8:26am
Ok that is very scarey... i only just renewed my cit and somehow you know i
did it :O!

count dracula

Aug 2, 2003, 8:42am
r i c h a r d <richard.lazenby1 at ntlworld.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:3f2b7f28 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> No, cause then they could just add extra worlds :)

Quite simply to check who is hosting what with your admintool

Drac

r i c h a r d

Aug 2, 2003, 9:25am
Yeah suppose but if i got serval servers im not really in the mood to check
them every day or every 5 min

r i c h a r d

Aug 2, 2003, 9:28am
The whole point of the sdk it to make life easier so why not use it to make
a remote admin utility saves having to upgrade and mess around with god
knows how many world servers but it would be 1 way

builderz

Aug 2, 2003, 12:56pm
1. Check the servers via the admin tool often to check this (checking is
fine and should be done by good hosts periodically anyway).
2. Make an automated program or script to determine if a customer is
going over their world limit.
3. Make an AUP or TOS that states that each customer can only host one
world per admin tool or something.

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote]

count dracula

Aug 2, 2003, 3:45pm
No idea to check that often, maybe once per week or so. And if someone has
started a new world there, just give them a friendly reminder :)

Drac
r i c h a r d <richard.lazenby1 at ntlworld.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:3f2b9fb6 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Yeah suppose but if i got serval servers im not really in the mood to
check
> them every day or every 5 min

mrbruce

Aug 3, 2003, 6:46am
Goood fricking luck with asking for hosting fees for server or path, no one
wants to pay shit here, they all want a service for FREE that costs us money
to run and maintain can't stay in business with that.
MrBruce

[View Quote] Worldserver bandwidth and memory load is very neglicable with a server.
It's like training to run the marathon and then only having to run an
foot.

As for object paths, that's a whole other story. Even then, servers are
designed for that sort of load and should have no problem with it.

No of SETI units returned: 57
Processing time: 48 days, 5 hours.
(Total hours: 1157)
www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

baron sweetman

Aug 3, 2003, 10:40am
"bowen" <Bowen at andras.net> wrote in
news:3f2ccfd3$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

[View Quote] said all for free Bowen ;-), i assume you are also a proletarian shopper?
lol

[View Quote] Nah, free clothes are dingy. Why use someone else's free service when I
can do it myself (also free)?

No of SETI units returned: 57
Processing time: 48 days, 5 hours.
(Total hours: 1157)
www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

pc hamster

Aug 4, 2003, 6:24am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Well....when you consider that one of THE LARGEST virtual TV networks in all
of ActiveWorlds is STILL on the air, I think it's pretty safe to say
EVERYONE kinda knew what was up. So, it ain't exactly a secret. :-)

Cheers for now :-)

PC Hamster

---