Nox 3.4 in Development (General Discussion)

Nox 3.4 in Development // General Discussion

1  |

robbie

Jul 16, 2003, 9:33am
For those that were interested last year when I started this project. I am
working on it once more.

Nox is a weather bot that smoothley changes world sky colours to simulate a
realistic sky changing over the course of the day. Nox 3.3 simply changed
the sky color, ambient and fog settings according to the time of day and
calculated the colors according to an array of color, light and fog settings
for each hour of the day.

Nox 3.4 now uses 6 arrays, one for each corner of the sky, and also controls
the 3 cloud layers, the skybox, fog and ambient light. This creates stunning
cascading skies with variating clouds and lighting that whilst following the
day/night cycle with VRT, varies each day to give new and interesting
atmospheres each day.

Nox 3.4 will also be 100% free, it will be downloadable and fully
configurable to work in any universe or world. You can configure everything
about Nox, right down to the settings for each hour in the cycle and then
save the settings or load in settings. This will allow for people to create,
collect and swap cycles merely by
passing around the ini configuration files.

So far I have the system designed and have coded the interface. I reckon
it'll take about 2 or 3 weeks to complete and test.

Whilst I'm still in the early stages of development, does anyone have any
good ideas I could implement into Nox? :)

-Robbie

zeofatex

Jul 16, 2003, 10:15am
Weather, where it would possibly change terrain textures that are using the
default texture of 0 to a texture of like snow or something...

Dunno if this would be laggy or not, but the ability to have a rain or snow
object follow someone around to simulate rain?

A sun and moon that rise and set as if in real life, and possibly the time
changes so on the 21st of june you have the most sun and the least sunlight
on December 21. This would work based on VRT, but leave it open for
scripting somehow so people can't complain about living in a different time
zone where the sun is only out for 3 hours, like at the north pole and south
pole. (If for some odd reason the world is based there...) I don't know how
hard that would be to do though :-X

[View Quote]

starfleet

Jul 16, 2003, 11:17am
A!!CT is the only world with a working 3.4 24-hour day/night cycle right now. No rain
though.

[View Quote]

robbie

Jul 16, 2003, 11:20am
> Weather, where it would possibly change terrain textures that are using
the
> default texture of 0 to a texture of like snow or something...

This would be too laggy across larger worlds.

> Dunno if this would be laggy or not, but the ability to have a rain or
snow
> object follow someone around to simulate rain?

Nox can control the skybox, and the skybox can be used to simulate snow or
rain with an animated masked object.

> A sun and moon that rise and set as if in real life, and possibly the time
> changes so on the 21st of june you have the most sun and the least
sunlight
> on December 21. This would work based on VRT, but leave it open for
> scripting somehow so people can't complain about living in a different
time
> zone where the sun is only out for 3 hours, like at the north pole and
south
> pole. (If for some odd reason the world is based there...) I don't know
how
> hard that would be to do though :-X

Nox will be able to do this, I forgot to mention it in the first post.
Again, the speed of the sun and moon is completely configurable. :)

-Robbie

r i c h a r d

Jul 16, 2003, 11:21am
Your not the only 1 places like AWTeen run/ran 25 hour day ones meaning not
every sees the same time of day all the time.

starfleet

Jul 16, 2003, 11:23am
Is it configurable by entering a coordinate like 50N 7E (real world coords)?

[View Quote]

starfleet

Jul 16, 2003, 11:28am
AWTeen RAN a backdrop system.

[View Quote]

stecloud

Jul 16, 2003, 11:40am
AWTeen did run a backdrop changer bot. But it also ran the original Nox 3.3
for a while as well. Right now you are correct though, we don't have any
weather bots implemented. But with Nox and Thor 3.4 in the works - that
will likely change soon.

stecloud

Jul 16, 2003, 11:42am
It would be nice if people with certain citnumbers, on a lsit that was
easily editable, could forcably change the sky - for events and such.

starfleet

Jul 16, 2003, 12:35pm
Since when can you change the weather in RL for events? :P

[View Quote]

weizer

Jul 16, 2003, 1:19pm
A repeated ground object wouldn't be better to simulate rain ? Otherwise
with a skybox the rain would be too big. Try to put xaw28.rwx (from the
megapath) in your world for the skybox, the rain does not look good.

-Weizer
"robbie" <robbie at oriox.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3f155105 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> the
>
> This would be too laggy across larger worlds.
>
> snow
>
> Nox can control the skybox, and the skybox can be used to simulate snow or
> rain with an animated masked object.

time
> sunlight
> time
> south
> how
>
> Nox will be able to do this, I forgot to mention it in the first post.
> Again, the speed of the sun and moon is completely configurable. :)
>
> -Robbie

starfleet

Jul 16, 2003, 1:22pm
Make the rain a 1024x1024 texture then.
The bigger the texture the smaller the rain can be.

[View Quote]

weizer

Jul 16, 2003, 1:25pm
Oh no I'm not talking about this kind of rain. The rain you are talking
about is on the background (you can't touch it). With a reapeting ground
object, you would be IN the rain, if you understand what I mean. Rain is not
a texture, it should be an object.

-Weizer
"starfleet" <Starfleet at Command.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3f156daf at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Make the rain a 1024x1024 texture then.
> The bigger the texture the smaller the rain can be.

[View Quote]

starfleet

Jul 16, 2003, 1:32pm
It's an object with rain texture strip on it. Either as skybox or as ground object, both
need it to be a texture.

[View Quote]

weizer

Jul 16, 2003, 2:27pm
Ya I know that it needs texture, but the resolution of the texture would not
change anything if its a ground object. I think it's rather the object size
that would change something. Look at the object xaw28.rwx you'll see what
I'm talking about. The misunderstanding is probably my fault, hehe, I've
difficulties to express my ideas in english.

-Weizer
"starfleet" <Starfleet at Command.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3f157010 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> It's an object with rain texture strip on it. Either as skybox or as
ground object, both
> need it to be a texture.

[View Quote]

stecloud

Jul 16, 2003, 5:34pm
Do you think I care what's real anymore :P

[View Quote]

alexthemartian

Jul 16, 2003, 9:34pm
if the rain touches you.. wont it touch you when you are inside too?..
unless AW comes up with the technology to have rain outside and not inside,
the rain will be coming through the roof like it was built in Tijuana

[View Quote]

starfleet

Jul 16, 2003, 10:00pm
Not if it's a skybox.

[View Quote]

weizer

Jul 16, 2003, 10:14pm
LOL good point, I didn't think about it. So a realistic rain is not possible
on AW as I can see.

-Weizer
3f15e109 at server1.Activeworlds.com...