aim features (General Discussion)

aim features // General Discussion

[View Quote] Changing a sound value from 0 to 1 will hardly break your registry. You'd have to
seriously screw around with values and keys. Even installing programs can break your
registry faster.

--Bowen--

zeo toxion

Nov 30, 2002, 7:35pm
I'm hardly a noob :) Unfortunately there was no value that was related to AOL or AIM so I didn't have to worry
about this. And yes I know all about the registry, I'm not going to go in and screw with it without care.
Though I don't think changing a value from 0 to 1 will destroy my registry unless the value is supposed to be
something other then 0 or 1 but it's pretty easy to tell.

--
Zeo

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Nov 30, 2002, 7:42pm
No wait I think I found it.

"Messenger Auto logon" which is set to 0.

See, it's uncheck in the options yet it still does it. Oh well I guess I can live with it. It's just strange
why it still starts by itself.

Another thing that seemed off place was under Outlook Express there is only 5.0 but my IE and OE are 6.x.
That's the only one so it must still be using 5.0 in the registry for some reason.

--
Zeo

johnny b jbitt2atjuno.com

Nov 30, 2002, 7:50pm
yes, I have OE 6 also but it says 5 in the registry... I believe it depends on what version was originally installed with the OEM
operating system.... As mine (WinME) came with OE5, thats what the registry says, regardless that I've upgraded to 6 since
then......

Sorry this didn't help more :O/ don't know what else to recommend since the value was already set to 0 (off) in your registry......
God save us from AOhell......

[View Quote]

anarkissed

Dec 1, 2002, 4:02am
Well you're not the only one reading here so I was thinking of people who'd
go in after reading this and play.

"anarkissed" <anarkissed at nospam.alt.2600.com> wrote in
news:3de92720 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> hey, fun, sending newbies in to edit the registry, what a cute idea!
> (NOT) when desperately trying to reboot a system with a fuxored
> registry one can hold the f8 key during boot to bring up the boot menu
> and select "boot to msdos" then type the command scanreg /restore
> to bring up the backup registry to restore your system and correct
> things if you actually try the advice below and screw it up. Write
> that down, scanreg /restore

Geez, read his post! He provided the key names, and added a note about
doing it with care, so any newbie should be fine unless they're really
stupid and start screwing about after being warned. Please refrain from
foul language...

KAH

johnny b jbitt2atjuno.com

Dec 1, 2002, 3:14pm
Thanks...... I thought it was pretty self explanatory
JB

[View Quote] >