trueSpace 4 Tutorials (General Discussion)

trueSpace 4 Tutorials // General Discussion

1  |

robbie

Jun 4, 2002, 8:48am
Hey everyone,

I've almost finished my trueSpace 4 tutorials for making objects/avatars in
Active Worlds. You can view whats compelted of it at: http://ts.oriox.com -
only one section left to complete.

Once everythings finished I hope to expand the tutorial to cover more stuff,
but right now I'm just trying to get the basics done. If there are any
problems, mistakes or broken links, lemme know. :o)

-Robbie
robbie at oriox.com

the joker ss

Jun 4, 2002, 2:32pm
i am planing to learn TS 5 , are there major differences ?

thx

"robbie" <robbie at oriox.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3cfc9ae6 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Hey everyone,
>
> I've almost finished my trueSpace 4 tutorials for making objects/avatars
in
> Active Worlds. You can view whats compelted of it at:
http://ts.oriox.com -
> only one section left to complete.
>
> Once everythings finished I hope to expand the tutorial to cover more
stuff,
> but right now I'm just trying to get the basics done. If there are any
> problems, mistakes or broken links, lemme know. :o)
>
> -Robbie
> robbie at oriox.com

barbarae

Jun 4, 2002, 2:54pm
Hi!

Just in time! I have TS4.3 on my drive with an upgrade to 5.1 waiting in
the wings. I have really yet to learn it, but have been hoping to "any day
now"!!

I also have Frank Rivera's book on TS4. Do you recommend I learn TS4 first
then upgrade to my 5.1 or should I go ahead and upgrade to 5.1 and still do
your tutorials for TS4 and Rivera's TS4??

I need to go back and review Grover's and Heinrikg's tutorials also.

What do you suggest I do?? Thanks for any suggestions and am looking
forward to your tutorials!

Barbara of Amberlin
aka Barbarae

[View Quote]

robbie

Jun 4, 2002, 3:28pm
nope. but if you want to learn to make objects for Active Worlds...trueSpace
4 is so much easier and does everything yu could need.

[View Quote]

robbie

Jun 4, 2002, 3:29pm
If you would like to make objects for Active Worlds...I would suggest you
stay with TS4 and leave the upgrade. TS5 bring whole new host of menus and
functiosn that are confusing and not nessacery for making objects for Active
Worlds.

-Robbie

[View Quote]

johnny b

Jun 4, 2002, 11:23pm
Robbie's right..... I've used both 4.3 and 5.1.... personally I prefer
5.1, but thats only because i knew 4.3 well enough...... 5.1 is
substantially different in so far as the menus are concerned. there's an
awful lot more tools ( that you'll never use for AW ) and it took a fair
amount of RE-learning to get all the needed functions down pat.....

For someone starting out, definately learn 4.3 first...... it CAN be a
little confusing at first, but it's a good amount simpler than 5.1 and it's
also still a damn good program for making AW objects, and more affordable
too ! ;O) considering you have the books for 4.3, I'd recommend sticking
with 4.3.... at least for now..... there's going to be some things in those
books that wont help at all with 5.1 since they did some changing around
with the menus...... things you wont even be able to find if you follow
instructions for 4.3.......

I've read a few of robbie's tutorial pages and he's done a darn good job
there :O) helps a lot when you can SEE what the menu buttons and assorted.
properties boxes apply to..... being most programs have SOME manner of pull
down menus for tools and such, of which TS has FEW,..... seeing this stuff
helps a lot !

Good Luck Modelling !

JB

p.s. if you want some proof that 4.3 works great, stop into the world JADE
and take a look at the wonderful stuff there.... one of my best friends here
owns it and she used 4.3 to make it all :O)

barbarae

Jun 5, 2002, 12:38am
Do you mean Murasaki's Jade??? If so, it's marvelous! Alright you guys
have convinced me. For the time being at least, I'll stick with 4.3! (Gosh
darn! Was looking forward to those realistic looking faces, too!)

Barbara

[View Quote]

johnny b

Jun 5, 2002, 12:47am
Uh huh....... that jade ;O)

Good Luck Barb

JB

johnny b

Jun 5, 2002, 12:48am
Hmmm...... this all crossposted to general too :O/ odd

johnny b

Jun 5, 2002, 10:54pm
It does ?? interesting..... never knew that.... I'm using outlook, How
would I go about fixing that, do you know ?

"johnny b" <uniquect at optonline.net> wrote in news:3cfeb2c0$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> It does ?? interesting..... never knew that.... I'm using outlook, How
> would I go about fixing that, do you know ?

Just edit the To: or Newsgroups: (can't remember what it is in OE/Outlook)
field, remove the NGs you don't want to crosspost to. Another header that's
usefull regarding crossposts is the FollowUp-To header, which will make the
client post the message to the newsgroup(s) specified by this header
instead of replying to the same group(s) (can be overriden, off course).
It's possible to set it in OE, but I've got no idea how, my newsreader has
it in the posting dialog.

KAH

paul

Jun 7, 2002, 2:33pm
There are MANY changes to the TS 5 interface with many things rearranged and
some working differently. Also many new features to tools like changing UV
on objects/faces in the info box in real time and seeing them instantly in
3D Solid view mode.
I would not suggest learning TS 4 first. The basics are similar but the
interface and layout is different enough in TS 5 that it's almost like
learning all over again.

Paul

[View Quote]

johnny b

Jun 7, 2002, 8:26pm
well paul, I'd agree with you, if not for ONE point......

she's spent quite a bit of money already for TS4, and a bunch of manuals and
books..... would you have her throw her money away so flippantly ?

I think you'll agree that she could make extremely nice things with 4.3.....
Lady Murasaki sure doesnt seem to be having any problems.... all she uses is
4.3.... and you sure spend plenty of time in her worlds looking around,
studying her work or whatever....

anyone using 4.3 can make very nice things with it..... and save themselves
a bit of money in the process :O)

JB

johnny b

Jun 7, 2002, 8:32pm
thought you might say that :O)

thing is, it doesnt DO that....... it says it's only posting to whichever
NG I'm in .... I've checked everywhere in settings and such..... cant find a
thing wrong, or even relating to this....

and...... it doesnt do it every time.. which makes me think it's not my
software, you know......

guess it's not the end of the world either way :O)

JB

barbarae

Jun 8, 2002, 2:26am
Hey you guys--go easy on me! besides TS 4.3, I also have the upgrade to
5.1 Yes, I have Rivera's book on TS4 and Robbie has done the tutorial for
4.x. So now what do I do?? Which version would be easiest to learn? Am I
wrong or do I get the impression that 5.1 and 5.2 are a bear to learn?
Robbie's tutorials seem to be a great way to get started. So, what shall I
do??

Thx.
Barbara of Amberlin
aka Barbarae

[View Quote]

johnny b

Jun 8, 2002, 2:36am
You'll have to decide for yourself barbara... :O)

I think 4.3 is easier to learn than 5.1 considering your reference materials
available..... also from my own personal experience with both programs, but
of course, thats only my opinion.....

Best of luck with whichever you choose :O)

JB

"johnny b" <uniquect at optonline.net> wrote in
news:3d01347c$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> thought you might say that :O)
>
> thing is, it doesnt DO that....... it says it's only posting to
> whichever NG I'm in .... I've checked everywhere in settings and
> such..... cant find a thing wrong, or even relating to this....
>
> and...... it doesnt do it every time.. which makes me think it's not
> my software, you know......
>
> guess it's not the end of the world either way :O)

How strange... Oh well, OE is the most messed up thing in news anyway,
better just post to the wrong NG ;-)) (or who knows what it might do...
maybe call Billy Gaties to scare you from not doing like his software
wants you to do? lol)

KAH

johnny b

Jun 8, 2002, 12:52pm
Ha! :O) I've resigned myself to doing whatever my 'PUTER decides I want to
do a long time ago..... I figure somehow I'll get where I'm going......
eventually ;O)

paul

Jun 9, 2002, 12:00am
I believe she (barbarae) said she already has the 5 upgrade in which case I
said ignore 4 and start with 5. I may have misread.
As for me spending a lot time in Lady M's world studying her work???? I
don't know where you get that. Maybe you should ask Lady M about that
comment. However, I do admire Lady M's artistic ability. She is an
excellent modeler and is always learning new things as we all do. I will
leave it for her to clarify is she so chooses.

Paul

[View Quote]

paul

Jun 9, 2002, 12:08am
it's a bear learning 4.x and then switching to 5.x because the interfaces
and tools are so rearranged and different. If you don't know 4 then start
with 5 and study the 4.x books and tutorials as guides. Also if you start
using 4.x and install 3D TSX extenders you will be disappointed when you
find that many of them will no longer work in 5.x and may crash 5.x. I love
5.x and I started out way back with TS 2, TS 3, TS4. It was just hard
finding everything in 5.x because much of it is in a different place and
learning 4.x 1st won't make it any easier finding and using the same tools
in 5.x. So why put yourself through 2 learning curves? TS 5 has some
helpful UV'ing features and geometry editing features that you can't do in
TS 4. That's my opinion.

Paul

[View Quote]

lahra

Jun 12, 2002, 11:25am
I agree with Paul. When you have much invested into version 4 and
will never use newer versions 5 or 6 then stay with version 4.
But when you have no experience with TrueSpace or are open
for new developments in modelling or for avatar, kinematics, or animation
then start with version 5 or 6. Version 4 and 5 are different and it makes
not much sense to go through several learning curves.

Lahra

lahra

Jun 12, 2002, 11:25am
I agree with Paul. When you have much invested into version 4 and
will never use newer versions 5 or 6 then stay with version 4.
But when you have no experience with TrueSpace or are open
for new developments in modelling or for avatar, kinematics, or animation
then start with version 5 or 6. Version 4 and 5 are different and it makes
not much sense to go through several learning curves.

Yvette

lahra

Jun 12, 2002, 11:25am
I agree with Paul. When you have much invested into version 4 and
will never use newer versions 5 or 6 then stay with version 4.
But when you have no experience with TrueSpace or are open
for new developments in modelling or for avatar, kinematics, animation
then start with version 5 or 6. Version 4 and 5 are different and it makes
not much sense to go through several learning curves.

Lahra

lahra

Jun 12, 2002, 11:29am
ack, I am sorry for the three postings caused by installing
new newsreader.

Lahra

robbie

Jun 19, 2002, 5:33pm
Why upgrade to 5 at all? In my opinion there is no gain (when making obs for
AW) to be had by upgrading to 5. And quite personally...i hate 5.

[View Quote]

johnny b

Jun 19, 2002, 7:13pm
I dunno....... to waste money ? :OD