National ID System (General Discussion)

National ID System // General Discussion

1  |

builderz

Feb 13, 2002, 12:50am
I can only imagine what different opinions/stances all of you have on
this matter. I received this e-mail today:

++++++++++++++++++++

TO: ACLU Action Network Members
FR: Jared Feuer, Internet Organizer
DT: February 12, 2002

a national ID
system as a counter-terrorism measure. In fact, the American Association
of Motor Vehicle
Administrators is already urging the federal government to create a
national ID system by
linking state drivers licenses and state databases.

Unfortunately, just like the use of Social Security numbers evolved far
beyond its
original purpose, a national ID card is likely to lead to a surveillance
society where our
movements are monitored and recorded through the use of "internal
passports."

A national ID card would not prevent terrorism, and in fact, would lure
us into a false
sense of security by enabling individuals with an ID -- who may in fact
be terrorists --
to avoid heightened security measures. The creation of a national ID
would be a misplaced
"quick fix" that would pose serious threats to our freedom and privacy.

Take Action! You can read more and send a FREE FAX to your Members of
Congress, urging
them to oppose the motor vehicle administrators' proposal from our
action alert at:

http://www.aclu.org/action/id107.html

**********
Help Strengthen the ACLU's Voice in Congress...
Click Below to Become a Card-Carrying Member today!
http://www.aclu.org/action/joinaclu.html

++++++++++++++++++++

-Builderz

the joker ss e

Feb 13, 2002, 1:01am
in europe we have that , every citizen gets an ID card when he gets 12 years
old , he has to be able to how this ID at any time , it has a picture , name
, date of birth , place of birth , adress at the time , and signature , i
think its good the Us is going to use the same thing , cause now , if i am
not mistaken , thing like drivers licences are used for indentification,
wich not every citizen has .

"builderz" <sawran at yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3C69D1F8.9418C9B8 at yahoo.com...
> I can only imagine what different opinions/stances all of you have on
> this matter. I received this e-mail today:
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++
>
> TO: ACLU Action Network Members
> FR: Jared Feuer, Internet Organizer
> DT: February 12, 2002

> a national ID
> system as a counter-terrorism measure. In fact, the American Association
> of Motor Vehicle
> Administrators is already urging the federal government to create a
> national ID system by
> linking state drivers licenses and state databases.
>
> Unfortunately, just like the use of Social Security numbers evolved far
> beyond its
> original purpose, a national ID card is likely to lead to a surveillance
> society where our
> movements are monitored and recorded through the use of "internal
> passports."
>
> A national ID card would not prevent terrorism, and in fact, would lure
> us into a false
> sense of security by enabling individuals with an ID -- who may in fact
> be terrorists --
> to avoid heightened security measures. The creation of a national ID
> would be a misplaced
> "quick fix" that would pose serious threats to our freedom and privacy.
>
> Take Action! You can read more and send a FREE FAX to your Members of
> Congress, urging
> them to oppose the motor vehicle administrators' proposal from our
> action alert at:
>
> http://www.aclu.org/action/id107.html
>
> **********
> Help Strengthen the ACLU's Voice in Congress...
> Click Below to Become a Card-Carrying Member today!
> http://www.aclu.org/action/joinaclu.html
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++
>
> -Builderz

Finally the ACLU does something worth its time.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

henrikg

Feb 13, 2002, 5:58am
[View Quote] Which country do you live in? I live in Europe too (Norway), and we don't
have a national ID card, and we are not required to show one "at any time".
I think the same goes for all of scandinavia and most other european
countries.

HenrikG

wizard myrddin

Feb 13, 2002, 9:10am
Humm, OMG and Pow

Not in the UK my friend and beleave it or not we are part of Europe
excluding a few Euro..

[View Quote]

lioness o

Feb 13, 2002, 9:21am
It is a nice idea to have something like this, however how will it deter
inner terrorism which has plagued the US for years??? Until recently we have
been allowed to take pretty much whatever we wanted on airplanes. Of course
that has changed drastically but there are still plenty of opportunities out
there for terrorists that we have no control over. How often do we hear of
Americans belonging to faction militant groups which are a threat to all
that we stand for?? How much good will a couple of stupid assigned numbers
be when a few people from that group play "kamakaze" and fly their American
piper airplane into the white house? Right now we use our driver's licenses
and our social security cards/numbers for ID in the states. Our SS numbers
offer a way of tracking our employment history as far as the IRS is
concerned. True not everyone has a driver's license. Not every state has a
driver's license with a photo ID. In fact not every US resident has a SS #.
Heck in the medical clinic I work in, I can't even begin to count how many
people I've registered who are illegal aliens and use a family members SS#.
They have no comprehension of why this is illegal. And I don't speak their
language to be able to explain it to them either. How many times have we
heard about people obtaining fake driver's licenses?? Is the US government
that stupid?? Don't they realize people will find a way around this too???
It's only a matter of time before someone uses somebody else's ID or a fake
one. Or possibly an illegal alien without one. Not to mention theft of these
cards/numbers like so many SS#'s have been used after people die or in the
case of ID theft. I certainly don't think this is a cure all. Sure it might
help the IRS nab some of those illegal aliens working legit jobs in the
states, but not much else. Our world is so complicated these days, I'm not
sure there ever will be a "better" way to do it. ;-")

in central Europe I think it's quite usual (Germany, France, Belgium), there
you can get a federal ID card at a very young age (at least you could in
Belgium when I lived there), and the police may ask for your papers in the
street... never seen it happen up here in northern Europe though...

icey

Feb 13, 2002, 1:48pm
You don't have an ID? You just have a passport? We do have IDs, we also have a
driving licence, C/C, and varoious association cards, various codes ID cards
depending on the Officer that you might drop in, the sanitary ID card, the card
for the supermarket, passport, when we go round we need a truck to carry all the
IDs, I am not sure what in case we'd like to go biking, probably they sell small
ID trailers to fix to the bike and pull around wherever we go. Yet it's always
me myself. For sure the right ID is always at home, you always carry all those
papers, and when you need one, you just find out it to be on the kitchen table
or wherever
icey:)

[View Quote] [View Quote]

the joker ss e

Feb 13, 2002, 1:58pm
yeh in germany and belgium where i lived we have that , also france holland
and others use it

"kah" <kah at kahnews.cjb.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3c6a8653$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> in central Europe I think it's quite usual (Germany, France, Belgium),
there
> you can get a federal ID card at a very young age (at least you could in
> Belgium when I lived there), and the police may ask for your papers in the
> street... never seen it happen up here in northern Europe though...
>
> KAH

[View Quote]

henrikg

Feb 13, 2002, 4:07pm
[View Quote] LOL, well I'm glad I don't have to carry one "at all times". But in
practice we do anyway, as most people have a drivers licence, ID on the back
of the VISA card etc etc...

Actually I don't have a car anymore, do I need a pedestrian license? :)

On a serious note: I have to agree with another poster; having a national ID
is just a false sense of security. When you deal with determined, well
organised and funded terrorists, getting fake IDs will be one of their
smaller tasks.

HenrikG

bodhitah

Feb 13, 2002, 10:46pm
I believe the main concern for most Americans is not the ID itself, but the
imbedded information it may contain. Right now most bank credit cards
contain much more information than most people know. The bank credit cards
of late contain your entire credit history, your employment info and your
spending habits for consumer credit companies to track.
The National ID proposals would include your and your families medical
history, all of the above listed info and if certain people have their way,
a micro-transponder that will allow satellite tracking of any and all
cardholders. I for one would never accept the proposal of a national ID
card. I would rather risk imprisonment for failure to comply than submit to
this "Big Brother" plan for societal surveillance. I urge every American to
resist this plan and support the ACLU in it's fight.
And thank you to builderz for bringing this info here.

~BodhiTah

the joker ss e

Feb 14, 2002, 2:24am
it only says name , adress , place of birth , place of birth , your cit # ,
and your picture

"bodhitah" <bodhitah at hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3c6b08d1$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I believe the main concern for most Americans is not the ID itself, but
the
> imbedded information it may contain. Right now most bank credit cards
> contain much more information than most people know. The bank credit cards
> of late contain your entire credit history, your employment info and your
> spending habits for consumer credit companies to track.
> The National ID proposals would include your and your families medical
> history, all of the above listed info and if certain people have their
way,
> a micro-transponder that will allow satellite tracking of any and all
> cardholders. I for one would never accept the proposal of a national ID
> card. I would rather risk imprisonment for failure to comply than submit
> this "Big Brother" plan for societal surveillance. I urge every American
> resist this plan and support the ACLU in it's fight.
> And thank you to builderz for bringing this info here.
>
> ~BodhiTah

trekkerx

Feb 14, 2002, 3:38am
I can go buy all your personal infomation.. history, credet, criminal, tax,
history, and where you have lived since birth, and more stuff, for about 80
bucks

--
TrekkerX
Commatron & Athnex

Yet another reason why it's not needed. Thanks, TrekkerX.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

bodhitah

Feb 14, 2002, 7:39am
Trekker...the question is... why would a Southern California high school kid
want my info ? spend the eighty bucks and see what you can find out about
me. I dare you !! You should spend more time doing your spelling
homework.

silenced

Feb 14, 2002, 10:39am
All that stuff is public knowledge anyways. I can go to my local supreme
court and find out anything about anyone in my area.

-silenced

[View Quote]

bodhitah

Feb 14, 2002, 4:26pm
*Laughs loudly* ...silenced, you and Trekker should just quit while you're
ahead and avoid anymore ludicrous comments. "the supreme court" LOL you
should both shut up and stop embarrassing yourselves in a public newsgroup.

chickengurl

Feb 14, 2002, 4:49pm
that's a joke, right?
most of that information can be obtained free of charge and hassle..
directly from the internet

silenced

Feb 14, 2002, 5:57pm
You can obtain any of that information from your local supreme court in the
US. You should shut up before you talk about something you don't know
about.

Birth Certificates, taxes, land, any other public property such as a house,
what political party you belong too, Criminal records, location (or any
other place you've lived) , phone numbers. They're all accessible through
your local supreme court.

If you're thinking of the US supreme court, you're mistaken, there's a
different supreme court and that's what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the US and not any other country.

-silenced

[View Quote]

silenced

Feb 14, 2002, 5:58pm
Well yes it can be obtained that way too. Most sites have you pay for deep
down info such as criminal records. But you can obtain it for free at your
county supreme court. That is if you're in the US. I don't know how secret
other countries keep that data.

-silenced

[View Quote]

bodhitah

Feb 14, 2002, 6:23pm
*laughs even louder* okay, I'll let the children make even bigger fools of
themselves. Your "local, county 'supreme court'" LMAO Go ahead kiddies
find out all you can about me. Yes I'm a US citizen. Get your little
cyber-detective kits out and show me how good you are.. LOL

silenced

Feb 14, 2002, 6:29pm
Yes, you assume we're all children. You must be the greatest adult on the
face of this planet to infer that everyone is younger or less mature then
you.

A. It needs to be the county of the person (with the supreme court)
B. I don't need to find info about you, it just can be done
C. Who cares?

I'm not the one "laughing" at people. Yes, let's Role Play (ie use the *'s
to denote an action) because we know all the cool adults do that. I don't
need to spend my time on something so pointless. Trekker can do it if he
wants. I have nothing to prove.

-silenced

[View Quote]

lioness o

Feb 14, 2002, 11:46pm
The supreme court???? ROFL!!!! ;-"D

[View Quote]

silenced

Feb 14, 2002, 11:48pm
Yes the county supreme court, what is so hard to comprehend about this? I'm
not talking about the darn US superme court.

-silenced

[View Quote]

chickengurl

Feb 15, 2002, 4:24am
you asked for it :P

*/me mumbles something about bodhita being an eep in wolf's clothing...*

SW Chris

don't forget the Post's ID cards...