Re: New Feature - Enable Rainbow! (Wishlist)

Re: New Feature - Enable Rainbow! // Wishlist

1  |

jacob the hero

Dec 21, 2002, 12:54am
The Color Are Red orange yellow green blue and purple! They Cool! are you
going add On Feature, That is my idea! :) try it on!

You should learn how to use your newsreader, there is no
References in the header and you do not even quote what
you reply to. No one can see what your "Re:" refers to?

[View Quote]

technozeus

Dec 21, 2002, 12:07pm
Good idea. I like rainbow as a color. Not sure if it would work, or how. I guess there are a lot of possibilities... but this is the wishlist. I'll wish for that one too. :)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

jacob the hero

Dec 21, 2002, 1:23pm
Yeah! Maybe Shamus Trying to put on Rainbow Option! If it Work! My Idea Is
Great! if it NOT work He Remove it!
[View Quote]

maki

Dec 21, 2002, 8:30pm
[View Quote] KAH posted this in worldbuilders, maybe it will explain the Re:'s:

"carlbanks" <CarLBanks at insight.rr.com> wrote in
news:3e039d55$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

>He didn't, he just appends "Re:" to all his subjects... Not that it's much
>better than replying to old posts.

If you look at all his other posts you'll notice they do have 'Re:' and
aren't replies to old messages - kind of annoying....reminds me of
technozeus..only those are actual replies.

awmaki.com

is your english really this bad, or are you faking it?
because if you're faking it, it's annoying

[View Quote]

technozeus

Dec 22, 2002, 12:44am
Most be a bother to be so easily annoyed. Hang in there... you'll survive it. :)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote] Apparently he wasn't the only one...

--Bowen--
4/30 something isn't bad though consider most post rarely.

technozeus

Dec 22, 2002, 8:06am
It's okay. You'll survive it too. :)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote] I didn't really care, it just gets annoying and unsightly.

--Bowen--

technozeus

Dec 23, 2002, 1:58am
Unsightly, yes... but not annoying, if you consider what reasons there may be. At least, not annoying to me. :·)

Perhaps Jacob the Hero didn't realize that the "Re:" is short for the English word "Regarding" and that it is used to signify a reply to the subject specified. We all know different things. We all had to learn what we know. Other people are bound to be lacking knowledge that each of us has, and we in turn are bound to be lacking some knowledge that they have. It doesn't do any good to be annoyed by the fact that someone may have reasons for something that you don't understand, or that someone may not have yet learned something that you already know.

Here's a piece of information you may not have been aware of. When people are speaking French, they often say "Re" when someone returns. This is something I learned only recently myself, and it made sense to me right away because many people who's first language is not English form the word "Rehi" as an English word for "Hi again" which is a reasonable English word formation even though you're not likely to find it in most dictionaries. I wasn't sure the exact reason for the French usage of "Re" as meaning "Hi again" but I figured it was an abreviation for something, so I asked Ourasi and got the response... yes it's the abreviation of "rebonjour".

It's not hard to see how a person could mistake the "Re:" in a newsgroup post's subject for meaning "Hi again" so that's one possibility, and of course there are other possibilities too. When people allow themselves to be annoyed by what they don't understand about another person's actions rather than politely resolving the issue, they may be missing an opportunity to learn somethig or teach something... either of which could make the world they live in a little better place to live.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote] Annoying yes, I was referring to yours not his. I thought that's what Maki said and
I concured with, unless I implied that as well...

--Bowen--

technozeus

Dec 23, 2002, 2:37am
As I said, it doesn't do any good to be annoyed by the fact that someone may have reasons for something that you don't understand. Don't let things get to you so easily. Life is too short. Don't waste it. :·)

By the way, it looked to me like Maki was replying to Kah.

TechnoZeus