World Server Feature (Wishlist)

World Server Feature // Wishlist

1  |

captain calhoun

Nov 19, 2002, 5:54am
*SUGGESTION*
the NEW Server that will be programmed (Build 47 Once) should have
"Limitless" Citizen Number entries allowed in the Rights List under
Entry and Build
and "Light Corona" movement that makes it either rotate the world, or
move up/down at sertion speeds (For Example: the Sun setting, or a
Planet-Corona rotating around the World)
it wouldn't be too hard?
*SUGGESTION*

ncc 71854

Nov 19, 2002, 6:12am
A moving solar corona already exists.

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 19, 2002, 6:20am
Limitless anything is much more easily said than done, but as for having the sun rise and set, I've talked with both Shamus and Grimm about it and made suggestions. They didn't say directly weather something of that nature would or would not be added any time soon, but since it would be pretty simple to add at this point, I'm expecting we'll probably see it by AW 3.5 or sooner.

I figure if the initial position of the directional light source is converted to a vector and used as an initial orientation, then orbit around any one axis should be enough to achieve an infinite number of possible angles for rising and setting, so one rotation speed should be enough. Of course, much more complex orbits could be achieved using separate speeds for each axis.

TechnoZeus

"technozeus" <TechnoZeus at techie.com> wrote in
news:3dd9f463$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Limitless anything is much more easily said than done, but as for
> having the sun rise and set, I've talked with both Shamus and Grimm
> about it and made suggestions. They didn't say directly weather
> something of that nature would or would not be added any time soon,
> but since it would be pretty simple to add at this point, I'm
> expecting we'll probably see it by AW 3.5 or sooner.

I think he meant pseudo-limitless... Due to the 255 byte max lenght of data
in the AW protocol this restricts the number of 6 digit citizen numbers to
about 16 entries for each privilege field.

> I think he meant pseudo-limitless... Due to the 255 byte max lenght of data
> in the AW protocol this restricts the number of 6 digit citizen numbers to
> about 16 entries for each privilege field.

Reasonably you could quadruple that I believe (which should be enough).

255 / 7 = 16 ?

[View Quote]

ncc 71854

Nov 20, 2002, 1:36pm
36

[View Quote] Don't forget spaces and/or commas.

Well you come up with a way to add that to the protocal without a major rewrite of the packet lengths and sure...

> the NEW Server that will be programmed (Build 47 Once) should have
> "Limitless" Citizen Number entries allowed in the Rights List under
> Entry and Build

ncc 71854

Nov 20, 2002, 10:01pm
If you don't put spaces then the comma is the 7th digit.

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 22, 2002, 11:20pm
okay.. how about this for a way around packet lenght problems... if the field is more than 255 characters long, treat it internally as more than one field. Split it up... send the packets for each "virtual field" and splice them together on the other end. Of course there is probably a much better way, but without looking at the source code I'm sire this one would at least work. :)

TechnoZeus

"technozeus" <TechnoZeus at techie.com> wrote in
news:3dded7e6 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> okay.. how about this for a way around packet lenght problems... if
> the field is more than 255 characters long, treat it internally as
> more than one field. Split it up... send the packets for each
> "virtual field" and splice them together on the other end. Of course
> there is probably a much better way, but without looking at the source
> code I'm sire this one would at least work. :)

Quite unnecessary. Why not just add a header specifying packet/data lenght,
like most other (semi-)binary protocols?

KAH

technozeus

Nov 24, 2002, 5:27pm
Well... I did say there was probably a better way. Hehe. Since I don't know what better ways there are I had to work within what I did know.

Thanks for the input. :)

TechnoZeus