Sun Feature (Wishlist)

Sun Feature // Wishlist

1  |

equin0x

Oct 17, 2002, 11:10pm
As you all know, in the current beta release of 3.4, there are such features
as textured clouds that can move.
Even though it is a weird and odd request, it would be nice for another sky
feature, a sun.
The sun would work the same way the sky does, by inputting a texture from
the object path and telling it how fast it should move. Or it could be set
to a certain number to move as the VR time changes.

Just a thought.

For small worlds there is a solution :

create a sun sphere, use the translate command to move it
away from the objects base point (maybe 100 meters) and place
this at GZ, with a rotate command on it.

You can see how this works in "labirint", where a star crosses
the sky sometimes.

As soon as you're out of GZ visibility range, it's gone though.

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Oct 18, 2002, 3:23pm
If you have terrain you could put it as a ground object but then it wouldn't rotate.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

[View Quote]

ncc 71854

Oct 18, 2002, 3:41pm
You could make the sun objects with each having a different rotation and
have a bot change the ground object periodically. Anyways..a ground object
can't have a corona though.

"equin0x" <xeroer at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3daf5fa2 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> As you all know, in the current beta release of 3.4, there are such
> features as textured clouds that can move.
> Even though it is a weird and odd request, it would be nice for
> another sky feature, a sun.
> The sun would work the same way the sky does, by inputting a texture
> from the object path and telling it how fast it should move. Or it
> could be set to a certain number to move as the VR time changes.

I remember hearing something about a lens flare from one of the light
sources at one of the techtalks about 3.4, this is what you're asking for
(pretty much), isn't it?

KAH

equin0x

Oct 18, 2002, 11:24pm
[View Quote] Lens flare would be nice to be included with the sun.
I also belive that the sun feature should be like the textured clouds, like
I stated before.

> I remember hearing something about a lens flare from one of the light
> sources at one of the techtalks about 3.4, this is what you're asking for
> (pretty much), isn't it?
>
> KAH

chiklit

Oct 21, 2002, 2:40pm
What would be nice is if the sun would match up with the directional
settings already in the browser that way you wouldn't have to guess at what
values to put in

[View Quote]

katerine

Oct 25, 2002, 12:15pm
A corona texture with black background used as "light source texture"
"light source size": 40
"Draw light source in front": unchecked
"light source glow":checked
No mask needed.

This is the result http://www.ailleurs3d.com/tests/lens.jpg

"equin0x" <xeroer at hotmail.com> a écrit
news:3db0b436 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 29, 2002, 5:13am
Yeahm I was asking Shamus to add something like that for a moon, only that it would "apear to be far away and behind things" like a skybox, would never go out of visibility range, and wouldnot be effected by the ambient lighting. That way, the moon object would go naturally through lunar phases based on the direction that the "sun" is shining on it from. I am also still hoping that he'ss add some kind of rotation ability to the directional lighting source so that it can orbit, and it's orbit can be tilted to a chosen angle.

TechnoZeus