Object Properties Dialog Window (Wishlist)

Object Properties Dialog Window // Wishlist

1  |

talisan

Sep 3, 2002, 4:38pm
For years now, the Object Properties window has been bugging the kajibee's
out of me, always having to move it out of the way, and then having to move
it again, and again. :P When the new AWB3.3 came out the Object Properties
window got bigger... ACK! It does get in the way more often now.

I wish... (and I have seen this done in other software, as well as with
software from microsoft in the GUI, etc)

....that an option could be made to include the text editable fields of the
Object Properties window into the wasted space of the Menu area for the AW
Browser window.

Example:
I have a menu bar, an advanced menu bar, and an avatar action bar, all
stacked up nice and near at the top of the browser menu. Depending on the
AV, that bar can be completely pull, but on the Advanced bar there appears
to be enough room for a filename prompt and possibly an action text field as
well. And since most of the other commands displayed withing the Object
Properties window are key'd to PageUp/Down/Home/End, etc, there is no need
to display buttons for them on the bars. This type of editing mode could be
considered as "Turn on advanced building mode"

talisan

Sep 3, 2002, 4:42pm
pull = full, and withing=within :)

linn

Sep 3, 2002, 8:28pm
lol this is a super idea I really hope this one is taken seriously no
matter where you put that BIG box its in the way
[View Quote]

the derek

Sep 3, 2002, 9:42pm
sometimes i want to blow up my monitor just to get rid of the box :D
[View Quote]

talisan

Sep 3, 2002, 10:41pm
Here is a picture of what I meant:

http://216.92.187.48/demo002.jpg

What about those who don't run AW maximized like me?

the derek

Sep 4, 2002, 1:53am
well then youre stuck with the dialog window lol
[View Quote]

the derek

Sep 4, 2002, 1:54am
no matter what its gonna have to be an option. some people wont like that.,
maybe have the window somehow 'dock" onto the app so you drag it back off if
you want.
[View Quote]

the derek

Sep 4, 2002, 1:56am
cant sem to get it all in one post :/. also it wouldnt hurt to give it its
on row on the toolbar

There is one technical problem with your idea.

As long as the NewLine representation is not a printable
character combination like "\n", you will not be able to
insert line breaks into comment and action line, and if
you try to edit entries containing those you will loose
everything that is not in the first line.

[View Quote]

eep

Sep 4, 2002, 3:25am
Yea, and you can't see who created the object, when it was built/modified, etc. Perhaps a better place for the object properties dialog would be in the tab pane--that way it can be as vertical and horizontal as the user wants, allowing for a MUCH better design: http://tnlc.com/eep/aw/object_properties.html ;)

[View Quote] > There is one technical problem with your idea.

> As long as the NewLine representation is not a printable
> character combination like "\n", you will not be able to
> insert line breaks into comment and action line, and if
> you try to edit entries containing those you will loose
> everything that is not in the first line.

[View Quote]

talisan

Sep 4, 2002, 7:01am
> There is one technical problem with your idea.
>
> As long as the NewLine representation is not a printable
> character combination like "\n", you will not be able to
> insert line breaks into comment and action line, and if
> you try to edit entries containing those you will loose
> everything that is not in the first line.

Hrm, while looking over Visual C++ recently, you can easily make a text box
that is one row in size or even 40 rows in size, it doesn't care... it
should act exactly the same. As for it being in the menu bar, I have no idea
what the limitations are, but I have seen multi-line editing done there
before, but granted, not as often as single line text fields.

As for my example, the objective was to use wasted space to replace the
dialog box, thus eliminating and simplifying the screen for quicker building
with skilled world builders. I'm sure it would be an aquired taste/feeling
to use where I suggest. Personally I thin any improvement over the dialog
box would be a gawd send!

katerine

Sep 4, 2002, 8:35am
If this is not possible, reducing the size of the build box would already
be great.
Like splitting the row of icons in two rows for example.

"talisan" <wardaor at hotmail.com> a écrit
news:3d7501b0$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> For years now, the Object Properties window has been bugging the
> kajibee's out of me, always having to move it out of the way, and then
> having to move it again, and again. :P When the new AWB3.3 came out
> the Object Properties window got bigger... ACK! It does get in the
> way more often now.

technozeus

Nov 17, 2002, 7:00pm
How about a single drop-bos added to (or near) the tool-bar, listing such things as Object, Description, Action, Owner, Location, Size, and Orientation, with a text field, or set of text fields that would change contents as you select different things from the menu? That would allow the Object Properties dialog to be made smaller again.

TechnoZeus