Name changing (Wishlist)

Name changing // Wishlist

1  |

sw comit

Apr 11, 2001, 4:55pm
The obvious cure to prevent getting your name stolen is to not change it,
but that'll never happen, so maybe AW should do something about it (lol yea
right, but this is a wishlist..). Perhaps your old name could be stored in
a temporary backup or something for 5 minutes.

--
SW Comit
swcomit at swcity.net
Mayor of SW City
http://www.swcity.net
President of Community Linkage Commission
http://comlinkage.tripod.com

agent fox mulder

Apr 21, 2001, 6:39pm
Also they can steel your name (Example:Mine is Agent Fox Mulder Now They
can copy that by changing the l to a i=I)So i changed my name to:Agent Fox
MuLder

wing

Apr 21, 2001, 7:04pm
I THOUGHT WE KILLED YOU! *drops to the ground and grabs his plascannon*
[View Quote]

j b e l l

Apr 21, 2001, 7:37pm
yeah, but your a dork.. so...

--
- JBell

____________________
| |
| AWJBell Services |
| http://www.awjbell.com |
| news://awjbell.com |
| platinum.awjbell.com |
|____________________|
[View Quote]

john viper

Apr 23, 2001, 10:46pm
They could do an E-Bay - like thing except instead of 30 days, make it one
day or a week or something

-John

[View Quote]

petehetherington

May 4, 2001, 9:51am
How about charging ppl $15 to change their cit names?

[View Quote]

petehetherington

May 4, 2001, 9:51am
How about charging ppl $10 to change their cit name?

[View Quote]

agent1

May 4, 2001, 10:40am
I don't think so. Something interesting might be a list of all the previous names a citizen has used, though.

petehetherington

May 4, 2001, 5:19pm
and what better way to fund it than by charging $10 for the privilege of
changing your cit name, the credit card records could be used to maintain
the database you suggest. There is a charge already for World name changes,
which are rarely if ever used to harass citizens, whereas cit name changing
quite often is.

Defered acceptance of a name change would help as well.
The new requested name could be locked in the uniserver
for one week, before the name change takes effect.

The charging idea isn't a good one, who would be charged
for the name changes of world citizenships? The world owner?
The universe owner does not necessarily have a way to
charge a citizen.

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

agent1

May 4, 2001, 6:50pm
Not everyone pays via credit card. What am I supposed to do if I want to change my citizen name? Send a money order and wait a week or so?

rypp

Jul 21, 2001, 8:38pm
It shouldn't be possible to change the registred name at all. When you first
register and become a citizen of Activeworlds, your name should not be
allowed to play with. If anyone wanted to change the name, they should pay
for doing so or simply buy another citizen. Users changing their name two to
ten times a day do so just to play tricks on someone or can't make up their
mind. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a name change limit of ten
times? This way the users who can't make up their mind can try out
different names up to ten times before the name become frozen and unable to
be changed anymore. Does anyone else have any good idea to stop users from
changing their name all the time???

rypp

"agent1" <Agent1 at my.activeworlds.com> skrev i melding
news:3af2a332$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I don't think so. Something interesting might be a list of all the
previous names a citizen has used, though.

> -Agent1

[View Quote]

eep

Jul 21, 2001, 10:59pm
No reason TO stop it; just have a way for AW to let people know it's been changed, including the last known name(s), by way of telegram or something.

[View Quote] > It shouldn't be possible to change the registred name at all. When you first
> register and become a citizen of Activeworlds, your name should not be
> allowed to play with. If anyone wanted to change the name, they should pay
> for doing so or simply buy another citizen. Users changing their name two to
> ten times a day do so just to play tricks on someone or can't make up their
> mind. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a name change limit of ten
> times? This way the users who can't make up their mind can try out
> different names up to ten times before the name become frozen and unable to
> be changed anymore. Does anyone else have any good idea to stop users from
> changing their name all the time???
>
> "agent1" <Agent1 at my.activeworlds.com> skrev i melding
> news:3af2a332$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> previous names a citizen has used, though.
> news:3af297b3 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

the derek

Jul 22, 2001, 6:21pm
i agree with him... if i want to change my name i should be able to change it.. although it is annoying when someone has changed their name and send you
a tgram-you have no clue who it is. i certainly wouldn't wanna spend 10 bucks every time i changed my name like i have to for worlds

[View Quote] > No reason TO stop it; just have a way for AW to let people know it's been changed, including the last known name(s), by way of telegram or something.