contacts (Community)

contacts // Community

1  |

sweets

May 29, 2006, 1:29pm
I have heard recently through the rumour mill that with the 4.1 our contact
lists will be wiped out. People will need Permission to add names to their
lists in the future.

If this is true, you may want to make some notes of cit names and numbers
before this change takes place. Friends and enemies LOL.

If you wish to disappear or hide, this would be the time for a name change,
which would not be seen by others,

True or not, I am not sure. I am making my lists and checking them twice,
knowing who's been naughty or nice LMAO

sweets

mauz

May 29, 2006, 1:45pm
[View Quote] Yeah, take a screenshot at least.
Apparently those who block you will disappear from your Contacts.

--
Mauz
http://mauz.info

karten

May 29, 2006, 2:15pm
Of course the off shoot of this, is that you cannot add someone to your
contacts to block THEM without their permission.
Very serious catch-22 for that one I think.

Karten

[View Quote]

mauz

May 29, 2006, 2:24pm
[View Quote] If they add the "Confirm contact list add requests" feature to the main universe,
there will be "Add Blocked Contact" option for the other party as well.

--
Mauz
http://mauz.info

justin eyres

May 29, 2006, 3:18pm
Yeah theres a option to request contacts and as mauz said there is a add
blocked contact probably since there is option to request And hopefully our
contacts dont get wiped...ill make a notepad file anyways :D

karten

May 29, 2006, 7:06pm
We can certianly hope on the add blocked contact, though I did not see
anything like that, yet.

Karten

[View Quote]

angelicus

May 29, 2006, 7:11pm
well, it would make things a lot easier, cause, at the moment, you have to
sit them on your list, just to stop them. However, how often does it
actually happen.

Unless you are part of a world with the person you don't like is also part
of, then it is going to be rare you will meet those people and even then,
you can mute them on sight, so is it really that difficult?

I fail to understand why it is a problem for someone to know you are online
or not. If it is a problem due to harrassment or abuse issues then the
offender should be reported to AW, as their term & conditions apply, and the
offender will be banned from AW anyway.

Just my point of view.

Have fun.....
[View Quote]

kf

May 29, 2006, 11:16pm
"Justin Eyres" <justin_ey_1 at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:447b2cca$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Yeah theres a option to request contacts and as mauz said there is a
> add blocked contact probably since there is option to request And
> hopefully our contacts dont get wiped...ill make a notepad file
> anyways :D

If the old contacts can be taken over, then for THESE contacts, the new
feature won't work - therefore, one really wants to wipe the old list and
start over using the new "permission" feature.

[View Quote] Now thats Grade A stupidity...

So, you can't see their online status, and suddenly they cant join,
telegram, invite or even see your homepage. Clever bunnies!...

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

talisan

May 29, 2006, 11:59pm
eeerrrrm... are you claiming to be one of these "bunnies"? :D

Nah, just getting my reservations about it out of my system.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."
[View Quote]

angelicus

May 30, 2006, 1:39am
Is there a wager going yet about if it will work or not?

I'm sorry but my money would be on there being bugs in the system.
[View Quote]

equin0x

May 30, 2006, 4:04am
I would hope that if there they make a webpage for citizens to 'clear' their
contact list. This would be simple, after validating your login information,
it just needs to delete the contact list file for that account.

Would save me trouble deleting my big list.

[View Quote] The very future of Active Worlds

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

color

Jun 3, 2006, 9:22pm
Contact List: IF we are required to request permission from each person we
want to add to our new contact list, (after the new version has wiped out the
old list) then we will lose contact with friends, who are on vacation or away
from AW for a period of time, while still keeping their citizenship. We wont
see if they arrive online to say hi to them.
Everyone has a close circle of best friends and a wider circle of casual
friends and an even larger circle of acquaintances. All of which you can add
to your list and deal with using the current options(online status or blocking
grams etc).
It might be easy to gain approval to put a person on your new contact list
from close friends, but from the others it will be hard to get it when you
rarely see them online at the same time. Also how will we know if they recieve
the request for approval or if they denied it? For those friends that like to
change nicknames or spellings, it might be hard to get their exact current
nickname to request.
As for blocking, People DO need to block people they do not run into on
AW. Unwanted telegrams of an ugly nature is a form of harrassment. And this is
a good option for those who use it to make sure a nasty person doesnt send
them harrassing telegrams. Blocking access and requiring permission for things
such as joining someone or file transfers are a necessary feature.
CoLor

[View Quote] > We can certianly hope on the add blocked contact, though I did not see
> anything like that, yet.
>
> Karten

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Jun 4, 2006, 11:46pm
Yer able to get in Color?

Just write down your contacts, or screen cap them in a graphics program and
save as jpgs or something. But the whole idea of a new contacts is better
privacy for each user. Say you don't want to be on someone's contact list,
you now have that option to refuse. It's also something you enable/disable
in your user Settings so the choice to use it or not is up to individuals.

Hope to *see ya* soon!

LNH