To much power in the hands of perverts (Community)

To much power in the hands of perverts // Community

1  2  |

hurdy gurdy man

Jun 26, 2004, 11:54pm
I have posted here against bdsm and gor nicknames in g rated areas and
someone took it of the boards!
The reason for that is the fact that 60% of the paying worlds are owned by
pricks freaks and perverts!
Congratulations enzo for building the 21st century Sodom and Gomorra!

rossyboy

Jun 27, 2004, 1:00am
Blah blah blah, someone who doesn't know what they are can't tell that
they're bad.

[View Quote]

xelag

Jun 27, 2004, 1:38am
So what are YOU doing here in this pervert universe?

On 26 Jun 2004 21:54:33 -0400, "hurdy gurdy man"
[View Quote] >I have posted here against bdsm and gor nicknames in g rated areas and
>someone took it of the boards!
>The reason for that is the fact that 60% of the paying worlds are owned by
>pricks freaks and perverts!
>Congratulations enzo for building the 21st century Sodom and Gomorra!

bodhitah

Jun 27, 2004, 2:41am
You should learn how to configure your newsreader...It's still here.

[View Quote] > I have posted here against bdsm and gor nicknames in g rated areas and
> someone took it of the boards!
> The reason for that is the fact that 60% of the paying worlds are owned by
> pricks freaks and perverts!
> Congratulations enzo for building the 21st century Sodom and Gomorra!

hyper anthony

Jun 27, 2004, 5:07am
Welcome to last week.

-Hyper Anthony
Moo2u

[View Quote]

count dracula

Jun 27, 2004, 10:55am
Give up Xelag , those hipochrits will never give up. Bet what is going on in
their homes are much more perverse than anyone of us can imagine.
So, now if someone has a name that they do not like they should be banned;
does it somehow remind you of beeing a Goldstein in 30ies Germany , or is it
just me ?

Drac
"xelag" <xelag at digitalspace.com> kirjoitti viestiss
news:3mfsd0hbde07hhuri1kvucck5cb1d8i3r7 at 4ax.com...
> So what are YOU doing here in this pervert universe?
>
> On 26 Jun 2004 21:54:33 -0400, "hurdy gurdy man"
[View Quote]

builderz

Jun 27, 2004, 2:16pm
"If you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen." Contact AWI
if you are upset, start your own online petition to try and get AWI to
change their policies, buy your own universe and proclaim it "Gor free,"
don't visit worlds that are rated X, etc. Goreans have every right to
use AW just as much as you do, whether you like it or not.

Builderz
http://www.3DHost.net

zeofatex

Jun 27, 2004, 3:08pm
Hmmm?

http://www.activeworlds.com/community/terms.asp

"3. Promoting or providing instructional information about illegal
activities. Promoting physical harm or injury against any group or
individual, or promoting any act of cruelty to animals. This includes, but
is not limited to, the following activities: Providing instructions on how
to assemble bombs, grenades and other weapons. "

[View Quote]

builderz

Jun 27, 2004, 4:20pm
1) I thought you said you were leaving the newsgroups?

2) Read past threads/posts (if they haven't been deleted) about what I
was referring to regarding AWI policies. It seems some of these
"anti-Gor people" want a specific clause in AWI policy that states what
Gors do in AW shouldn't be allowed here.

Builderz
http://www.3DHost.net

ok, see, what you are doing is emm, discriminating. if people wanted to be
perverted, and like to be perverted, and are not harming anyone in being
perverted, then let the perverts be! Just because they are diffrent, doesn't
mean you should chase them out. Gotta learn to accept diffrent people with
diffrent views, that simple.

-SWE

[View Quote]

zeofatex

Jun 28, 2004, 12:28am
I meant that they'll be shut down soon because of all the ranting heh. It
seems to be the quickest way of dealing with this crap.

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Jun 28, 2004, 12:27pm
Yes, INSTRUCTIONAL INFORMATION. Not roleplay. And slavery isn't illegal
if it's consented to.

This rule means AW shouldn't be used as a platform to hurt people in
real life.

[View Quote]

ferruccio

Jun 28, 2004, 7:48pm
hurdy gurdy man is getting his panties in a bunch ^,^

xelag

Jun 28, 2004, 9:24pm
Is hurdy gurdy man same as .shinny linny woman?

On 28 Jun 2004 17:48:16 -0400, "ferruccio" <startrek3 at earthlink.net>
[View Quote] >hurdy gurdy man is getting his panties in a bunch ^,^

the lady

Jun 28, 2004, 9:53pm
What nicknames are offensive to you?

The Lady

[View Quote]

zeofatex

Jun 28, 2004, 10:13pm
"Promoting physical harm or injury against any group or invidvidual, or
promoting any act of cruelty to animals."

Based upon the strong feelings I've seen about them and the 'idea' of Gor I
doubt they take it as virtual reality. Gor is a way of life from what I've
seen and you should not be promoting slavery, rape, abuse, or sex in a
public area. Whether or not your world is rated R or X and ages are asked
there must be better ways of protecting the children. If you want to partake
in Gor than by all means -- if you're an adult whip out your credit card and
prove it (no need to even pay money). It would seem to me the point of Gor
is not very clear and if in fact it is just role playing than you are still
subjecting children to the ideas of Gor and the Gorean 'Culture'.

Listen I'm not hear to bitch about the Gor's but there must be better
protection for the children's sake. I can't tell you how many times when I
first got into AW I hit the Gor worlds and just went around the age 18
questions from the bot. I was young and wanted to know what I was missing
but WOAH way TMI. You cannot blame it on my parents for not monitoring me it
is easy enough to get around any blocks put up client side. Server side
blocks however are nearly impossible to get around. With Xelag's new MYSQL
addition to the xelagot you can put up one database for the Gor's with age
verification via credit card in which all of the bots from each Gor world
can access to see whether or not a user has been validated or not. You don't
need to pay anything to get validated, make it free or a dollar or whatever.
It'll help support your world and will keep a majority of the kids out.

[View Quote]

xelag

Jun 28, 2004, 10:45pm
Well, for one, I would not use credit card verification as a valid
means to test age. If a child is not trained to or will not follow
his/her parents' advice (i.e. the parents have not been able to create
a trusting relationship with their child), there is no credit card
that will supplant this. Moreover: a large part of the world has no
access to credit cards. I have, but most of my friends in Europe
don't. And I refuse to use my credit card for ID purposes.

The Netherlands has now introduced a special coin to buy cigarrets
from a machine in clubs, hotels and bars. You request the coin from
the bartender. You place the coin in the slot, then the money. You
get your cigarrets. An adult has to request this coin. So... kid goes
to adult, adult requests coin, kid buys cigs. Easy! So be it with
credit cards.

The point is: if parents can not teach their kids not to cheat, there
is no law, credit card or whatever that will stop them. Not even a
xelagot with SQL abilities.

The burden has to lie on the parents and how they build up their
relationship to their children. After all, when children get of age,
if they are used to cheating, they will carry on cheating lustfully,
measures or no measures, parents or none.

I think that one has to be realistic and practical. The use of credit
cards for entering porn sites, for example, was imposed by USA
regulations. It has only helped the porn sites to get richer. It has
not stopped porn advertising, that can reach all of our kids.

I'm not comparing GOR to this, simply stating the inadecuacy of credit
card control for this sort of purpose.

ActiveWorlds has implemented a rating system. If kids want to cheat,
they will. That GOR worlds, besides setting an adult rating to their
worlds, add a warning system is all to their credit. This should not
even be required. Educate your children not to cheat on you. If you
cant, don't blame others.

Alex

[View Quote] >"Promoting physical harm or injury against any group or invidvidual, or
>promoting any act of cruelty to animals."
>
>Based upon the strong feelings I've seen about them and the 'idea' of Gor I
>doubt they take it as virtual reality. Gor is a way of life from what I've
>seen and you should not be promoting slavery, rape, abuse, or sex in a
>public area. Whether or not your world is rated R or X and ages are asked
>there must be better ways of protecting the children. If you want to partake
>in Gor than by all means -- if you're an adult whip out your credit card and
>prove it (no need to even pay money). It would seem to me the point of Gor
>is not very clear and if in fact it is just role playing than you are still
>subjecting children to the ideas of Gor and the Gorean 'Culture'.
>
>Listen I'm not hear to bitch about the Gor's but there must be better
>protection for the children's sake. I can't tell you how many times when I
>first got into AW I hit the Gor worlds and just went around the age 18
>questions from the bot. I was young and wanted to know what I was missing
>but WOAH way TMI. You cannot blame it on my parents for not monitoring me it
>is easy enough to get around any blocks put up client side. Server side
>blocks however are nearly impossible to get around. With Xelag's new MYSQL
>addition to the xelagot you can put up one database for the Gor's with age
>verification via credit card in which all of the bots from each Gor world
>can access to see whether or not a user has been validated or not. You don't
>need to pay anything to get validated, make it free or a dollar or whatever.
>It'll help support your world and will keep a majority of the kids out.

[View Quote]

kathryn delanuit

Jun 28, 2004, 11:18pm
Credit cards may not be the best solution, I agree. But still, one
can't just throw their hands up in the air and do nothing. Why does it
have to be one or the other, either the parents or the website or world?
That seems pretty black and white, why can't there be a middle ground?
Why can't it be both, both trying to do whatever they can do, as best
they can. Of course nothing is going to be 100% effective, nothing ever
is. But that is no reason to throw your hands up in the air and do
nothing, simply because you can't control everything. It's like, if
someone reallllly wants to get into my car, they can find a way. But
just because I can't protect it 100% doesnt mean Im going to park it by
the side of the road with the doors open and motor running and keys in
the ignition either. Each doing as best they can, helping one another.
That's what a community is all about.

[View Quote]

builderz

Jun 28, 2004, 11:32pm
1) What happens when a child uses a credit card that doesn't belong to them?

2) What happens when the MySQL server the bot is using is compromised
and everyone's credit card number is stolen? I'm sure every single
person on the Net uses encryption, has all of their patches installed,
and is firewalled, right?

3) What happens when people that don't practice Gor start making Gor or
adult-themed worlds just so they can get people's credit card numbers?

Don't tell me it can't happen...

Builderz
http://www.3DHost.net

[View Quote] > With Xelag's new MYSQL
> addition to the xelagot you can put up one database for the Gor's with age
> verification via credit card in which all of the bots from each Gor world
> can access to see whether or not a user has been validated or not. You don't
> need to pay anything to get validated, make it free or a dollar or whatever.
> It'll help support your world and will keep a majority of the kids out.

actually, you throw your hands up in the air. wave them around from side to
side.
and ya, i say just keep it as it is now, no need to added security measures
in aw.

-SWE

[View Quote]

zeofatex

Jun 28, 2004, 11:40pm
1) You need a pin #.
- If you leave your CC laying around than you're a dumbass.
- If you're child actually goes and steals your CC to get into the
worlds than he has issues.
- I can't tell you how many times needing a CC has deferred me from
buying shit online.

2) CC # isn't stored.

3) You sue for fraud. You won't give the CC # to them, it will go through a
secure remote site.

[View Quote]

zeofatex

Jun 28, 2004, 11:46pm
I realised that many people don't have CC's, but how many of the people on
AW do you think AREN'T paying with a CC. I can guarantee you a majority of
the people over 18 are paying with one. Even an alternate form of ID. We're
not talking about cheating here we're talking about making it not worth the
kids whiles to even bother going to the world. Why would I spend 20 minutes
to get into a gor world as opposed to just walking in and saying I'm 18.
Also, are the ratings checked server side or client side?

could just have one of those programs that see if a cc is valid. remember
seeing some, you enter your CC number and exp date, and it checks. and
that's all. no need to save the info, just a simple boolen on weather the
person is or isn't over 18

-SWE

[View Quote]

zeofatex

Jun 28, 2004, 11:55pm
Kinda what I meant. I wouldn't waste the time stealing a CC to get into a
Gor world...

[View Quote]

builderz

Jun 29, 2004, 12:26am
I'm a member of Merchant911.org so I know a thing or two about credit cards.

1) By "pin #" You mean the three or four digit CVV2 code that's usually
right on the back of the credit card? Just flip it over and there it is.
Not all online stores or purchases ask for the CVV2 code, by the way.

Trust me, it isn't unheard of when "Little Johnny" finds mommie's purse,
picks out the shiny plastic card, and orders something online. Just
last week I got an e-mail from a parent saying that their daughter got a
hold of their card and ordered a product I sell online. I had to refund
the order.

2) It depends how the bot/MySQL database or whatever you are using to
authorize the card is setup. A credit card can be intercepted while in
transit, you know. It need not be stored to be stolen.

3) That's an option, yes. There are a few other courses of action you
could take, too.

Builderz
http://www.3DHost.net

[View Quote] > 1) You need a pin #.
> - If you leave your CC laying around than you're a dumbass.
> - If you're child actually goes and steals your CC to get into the
> worlds than he has issues.
> - I can't tell you how many times needing a CC has deferred me from
> buying shit online.
>
> 2) CC # isn't stored.
>
> 3) You sue for fraud. You won't give the CC # to them, it will go through a
> secure remote site.

builderz

Jun 29, 2004, 12:31am
You may not waste your time trying to get into a Gor world, but the mind
of a person under the age of 18 or 21 (or whatever is considered a minor
in your country) and their mental state may be a lot different than
yours. Children and teens have a lot of time on their hands. If a child
o teen wants something badly enough, they'll usually try to get it
anyway they can.

Builderz
http://www.3DHost.net

[View Quote] > Kinda what I meant. I wouldn't waste the time stealing a CC to get into a
> Gor world...

zeofatex

Jun 29, 2004, 12:39am
If they want it badly enough than have their parents let them in.. I'm
talking about something to keep the lazy kids or kids that go there by
accident out.

[View Quote]

builderz

Jun 29, 2004, 12:44am
Oh, well in that case, I certainly agree with you. Most kids will find
it to be a deterrent. Those that really want to get in probably will
find a way, though.

Builderz
http://www.3DHost.net

[View Quote] > If they want it badly enough than have their parents let them in.. I'm
> talking about something to keep the lazy kids or kids that go there by
> accident out.

zeofatex

Jun 29, 2004, 12:53am
Yeah well you can't stop them lol... but most kids won't have a problem
going in and saying they're 18...

[View Quote]

xelag

Jun 29, 2004, 1:58am
Kathryn,

There is no substitute to trust. If a parent can not build up a
relationship of trust with his/her own child, who will?

I'm not advocating unequivocal trust to everything that comes by you.
I'm just stating something that seems to me inherent in the human
race: take care of your children. Do not rely on external means to
control them, the best is that you, as a parent, become aware of
possible dangers and teach your children to avoid them. But also, that
you realise your own limitations in seeing the world, and accept when
your own make a different decision than what you would have liked them
to do.

False securities are the worse securities.

Alex

[View Quote] >Credit cards may not be the best solution, I agree. But still, one