Calling all PHP'ers... (Community)

Calling all PHP'ers... // Community

1  |

robbie

May 24, 2002, 10:54am
Hey all,

I am creating a new website much like objects d'active worlds where people
can submit objects and avatars which will be put up for download. However,
rather than do everything manually I was wondering if there are any PHP
programmers out there with the experience and time to donate to creating a
simple SQL system for searching, adding and viewing items.

The result? A simple yet useful website allowing object creators to submit
content, for world buildrs to search through and download completely free.

If there are any programmers out there that have the time and are willing.
E-mail me at: robbie at oriox.com.

Thanks,

-Robbie

silenced

May 24, 2002, 11:21am
I may be able to help a little ;). I'm not exactly great but hey, it's
something.

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

[View Quote]

robbie

May 24, 2002, 11:48am
Can you do SQL? The 3 main functions will be view.php that views an object,
add.php which uploads a zip, jpg and adds the object the database along with
its info and search.php/results.php for searching through the database.

-Robbie

[View Quote]

brant

May 24, 2002, 1:02pm
Hey Robbie,

Why not include a bot database as well? There could be two sections - one
for finished bots such as the Magzbot or Xelagot. The other section, and by
far the one that I feel is more important, would be for programmers to
submit source code so that future developers can save time in rewriting code
that everyone has written already. There's no real central repository of
source code for AW applications, and this would really speed up bot
development for both new and experienced bot creators.

Just an idea,

-Brant

[View Quote]

silenced

May 24, 2002, 1:15pm
suuuure just make my job harder why don't ya?! j/k :P

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

May 24, 2002, 1:35pm
Yeah great idea....why don't we just have one big database for everythign
that has to do with AW then? The thing is if people can just upload bots and
programs we would need someone to check it for viruses and keep an uptodate
virus checker to check them all before they are uploaded.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

[View Quote]

carlbanks

May 24, 2002, 1:38pm
Hmmmm if only we could get Microsoft to run the site....WAIT!!!! bad idea
Microsoft would surely ruin the site. Can't a script in the webpage check
it?

[View Quote]

silenced

May 24, 2002, 1:41pm
No, not with stuff I know. Probably would have to use it at your own risk.
Source code would be checked over by someone maybe?

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

May 24, 2002, 1:43pm
If theres no way to virus check it we could put some sort or review thing on
it where if no on ehas reviewed it theres a big warning sign if you want to
download it but someone could post a review saying its legit or if its bad
news...then i guess if it gets bad news ones then the site operator would
have to check it and delete it if its bad. Something like that. Just an
idea.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

Problem with virus check :

Bots are made for windoze, most good Apache+PHP+MySQL
sites run on *ix

The only solution I see is :

When an EXE file is uploaded, let the PHP send the it
(or its ZIP archive) to a person who does the check
and then confirms the upload on a secure web page
with a password, so the temporary stored data can be
taken over to the database.

[View Quote]

brant

May 24, 2002, 1:56pm
Well, of course source code would have to be checked over. If a reviewer
were to miss something, then if someone experiences a problem they can
inform the site's developer(s) and let them know to remove the code in
question.

Just a conzeptional note :

it isn't really a good idea to store the pictures and
ZIP archives in MySQL. It slows down the database and
causes much load on the server.

Instead, it is better to store the file with a random,
unique name, and store this name, the original name, the
desription, upload date, maybe a download counter and
the author name in the database.

On a request, the script can just fopen the file with
the random unique name and send it with the name, that
the file originally had.

The amount of work that you have to put into the web
page will not be more than with your conzept, and the
performance will be way better - and it saves you
trouble with your web space provider ;)

[View Quote]

silenced

May 24, 2002, 4:19pm
yeah, that's basically what he wants. He just said it differently :D

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

[View Quote]

grimble

May 24, 2002, 4:34pm
The best idea I've seen for publishing/sharing source code is essentially in
a BBS format, on the Perl Monks web-site, where you can people can add
comments and expand on the original code.

http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=13136 for an example.

Add to that a status maintained by the admin and people can make their own
minds up. I don't agree with having code reviewers really ... I think it
would be better to allow the source code to grow with the input from others.

[View Quote]

echomencer

May 24, 2002, 5:06pm
Here are a few sites to look at Robbie, start with www.yabbforum.com this
is the basic product. Then check out www.yabb.info they have a mysql version
of the same thing with a few more addons.

Then goto http://boardmod.yabbforum.com they have loads of mods for the
above product.

A simple setup I have done for someone is to use YABB in non SQL format
on a windows2000 web server running IIS5 and active perl then I checked
the mods site for a file post and upload mod. the system allows people to
upload
files from there PC and store them on a web server in a designated folder
and if
you type a logical description of the file , its format and application of
what it is
in the post then when someone does a text search on the posts they also find
the files they are looking for just like a search engine would. You can
track posts
a specific user makes so if you know a good modeler you can find all his/
her
posts / files very easy. There are tons of other cool features you simply
have to
apply a logical mind to how best turn them into what you need.

You can embed some basic html type code into posts so textures could load
inline
with the posts if need be or jpg pictures of models or av's. You can admin
it all via
the web browser once setup.

Took me half a day to setup the system I built and that included setting up
all the
posting areas etc..... It might be what you are looking for or if not it may
give you
some ideas. either way its free ;) so take a look if you have a few mins.

If you realy what PHP search the forums they have on all the sites as there
is
PHP stuff been developed for it also.

Well hope that my longest post ever is of use if not I will get the fire
truck ready to
put out the flames lol

[View Quote]

silenced

May 24, 2002, 5:18pm
That's kinda ass backwards from what he wanted though. Going way out of the
way to do something huh? :P

It's easier just to start from scratch then to use a BBS to work around.

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

[View Quote]

echomencer

May 24, 2002, 5:27pm
well like I said it was just an Idea and free. plus YABB stands for Yet
another Bulletin Board and BBS is Bulletin Board System ;)
[View Quote]

zeo toxion

May 24, 2002, 6:06pm
I don't really mean reviewing to say how good it is or something but
something where if the program had a virus then people could post and say
that..or something...just a way of making sure.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

[View Quote]

grimble

May 24, 2002, 9:16pm
I know what you meant and I don't think that's the way to go. If its going
to be reviewed, then it should be done before it goes on the site ... which
is silly really.

If people download EXEs then its their own responsibility to virus check it.
Its not like the existence of viruses is a little known fact. As far as
source code goes, if people just cut/paste code from places without
understaning it, more fool them. Lazy developers deserve all the trouble
they get.

[View Quote]

alterlinks

May 24, 2002, 9:35pm
"robbie" <robbie at oriox.com> wrote in
news:3cee3816 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

Hello,

A simular script already exists:

http://www.alterlinks.com/downloads/rwx/rwx0.php

A possible way to scan for a virus is to use any scanner which can be used
from a shell commandline and which does not systematically return 0 after
scan.
This could be done with an exec() instruction (if authorized). Check the
return code of the scanner as criteria to process or delete the uploaded
file.

PS, PHP versions <= 4.1.0 appear to have a vulnerability in the upload
code.

Greetings,

> Hey all,
>
> I am creating a new website much like objects d'active worlds where
> people can submit objects and avatars which will be put up for
> download. However, rather than do everything manually I was wondering
> if there are any PHP programmers out there with the experience and time
> to donate to creating a simple SQL system for searching, adding and
> viewing items.
>
> The result? A simple yet useful website allowing object creators to
> submit content, for world buildrs to search through and download
> completely free.
>
> If there are any programmers out there that have the time and are
> willing. E-mail me at: robbie at oriox.com.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Robbie

zeo toxion

May 24, 2002, 9:37pm
i see your point

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

[View Quote]

just in

May 24, 2002, 11:48pm
Why do you want to double up on ObjectsD'? They are already going well and
have a whole world dedicated to free objects where you can view what the
objects will look like in world.

If you are thinking to make an alternative because you do not like the way
the web page operates, why not pool resources and offer to ObjectsD' owners
something to improve?

Regards, Justin

"echomencer" <ghostrider at spiralmatrix.com> wrote in
news:3cee9426 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> well like I said it was just an Idea and free. plus YABB stands for
> Yet another Bulletin Board and BBS is Bulletin Board System ;)

Using a forum for this kind of site is silly, a forum's a forum, not a file
directory...

"alterlinks" <nospam at alterlinks.fr> wrote in
news:Xns9219E0ECE41CAlterlinks at 64.94.241.201:

> PS, PHP versions <= 4.1.0 appear to have a vulnerability in the
>upload code

Actually it's before 4.1.2, 4.1.0 and 4.1.1 have it too. (now 4.2.1 is out,
with completely rewritten upload code and everyone should upgrade to that
anyway)